HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV/Books/Movies/Music/Video Games) Part V

Closed Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 08:15 AM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 500
Not as critical. I really like it, some songs are lacking but after a few listens it grows. Give Life Back to Music, Instabt Crush, Lose yourself to Dance, & Grt Lucky are my favourites. Haven't finished the 2nd half yet, though.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
I just liked how they focused a lot on Stark's emotional battle and how they made it a point of how it not only affected him but Iron Man as well. Basically not all superheros are invincible, that kind of jazz. Reminded me a little of Nolan's version of Batman, which is probably why I liked it so much.
I enjoyed it but when breaking down the movie and comparing it to the Phase 1 movies, I definitely put it near the bottom. (One spot above Captain America). To me, they focused and put too much emphasis and the messages in the movie. A few other things that stood out in a negative way for me were

1. The treatment of the Mandarin
2. The interaction with the kid.
3. The lack of tie in to the rest of the Marvel Universe besides the few one liners mentioning characters and the attack on NY.
4. The after scenes credit was a waste to me. They should be used to tie in future movies/introduce future characters. There was no excitement in my theater for those that waited till after the credits. It was basically just an... Oh, that's it feeling.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshot 43 View Post
I enjoyed it but when breaking down the movie and comparing it to the Phase 1 movies, I definitely put it near the bottom. (One spot above Captain America). To me, they focused and put too much emphasis and the messages in the movie. A few other things that stood out in a negative way for me were

3. The lack of tie in to the rest of the Marvel Universe besides the few one liners mentioning characters and the attack on NY.
4. The after scenes credit was a waste to me. They should be used to tie in future movies/introduce future characters. There was no excitement in my theater for those that waited till after the credits. It was basically just an... Oh, that's it feeling.
I haven't seen the Avengers yet, so I didn't really mind that they didn't reference it all that much, other than Tony attributing his meltdowns to I guess part where almost dies in the Avengers?

I agree the post credits scene didn't provide as much "whoa" factor as the other Marvel movies. Although if you stayed past even that, the last line that shows on the screen says "Tony Stark Will Return".

Old
05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
I haven't seen the Avengers yet, so I didn't really mind that they didn't reference it all that much, other than Tony attributing his meltdowns to I guess part where almost dies in the Avengers?

I agree the post credits scene didn't provide as much "whoa" factor as the other Marvel movies. Although if you stayed past even that, the last line that shows on the screen says "Tony Stark Will Return".
Whaaaaaaaat?!? What made you skip the Avengers but see Iron Man 3?

Iron Man 3's storyline basically happens because of the Avengers. Also, Iron Man/Hulk steal about every scene they are in.

I didn't hear that yet about the final line because I got up and left after that scene I honestly wouldn't mind them to end the stand alone Iron Man movies now and just use him in the Avengers movies.

Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Scott04

Quote:
What made you like it so much? I haven't run into anyone yet who would say they loved it but most of my friends rated it higher than me. (6 out of 10)
Yeah, same boat here. I've run into people that really like it, but with a few complaints, and those who weren't crazy about some bigger things and gave it a similar rating to you. I would be more in the first group, but that's also because I don't have as much familiarity with the comics as others (who were more in the second group)

Quote:
I just liked how they focused a lot on Stark's emotional battle and how they made it a point of how it not only affected him but Iron Man as well. Basically not all superheros are invincible, that kind of jazz. Reminded me a little of Nolan's version of Batman, which is probably why I liked it so much.
That's definitely what I appreciated about it. I did like the added depth to the character and his point of view. In a lot of ways, I actually did note some similarities to the Dark Knight Rises in this movie. At least in terms of the tone and character development. That could definitely tie into my enjoyment of the movie as well.

While I don't like it as much as I did the first two, I definitely did enjoy it. Especially as it relates in the timeline following the Avengers. Were it not in this order, I don't think I would enjoy it as much. It would definitely feel... "off" to say the least.

Quote:

I have a friend who is very well versed in the comics and #1 was his biggest complaint. His opinion was that the Mandarin was supposed to be to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman or Lex Luther to Superman, and that this movie just didn't do that relationship justice.

For #3, I can see that, but I think that's something we can't quite judge yet. Lets not forget that Iron Man 1 and 2 only had so many references, partly because of where they were released in comparison to the other Marvel movies. Lets see how Thor 2 ties in to this (if at all) to see if it established anything. Iron Man 1 more established it and the others then connected to some extent from there. That may be the same case here as well. To an extent, I do like how it wasn't overly connected in this movie though. I do enjoy that they keep this movie about Iron Man's story, and not just one perspective of the Avengers while ignoring the happenings of the other characters.

As for the after movie scene:

Spoil:
there wasn't much to give it "excitement" but it does "hint" at something to an extent. The fact that he's talking to Bruce Banner shows that there is a connection with the characters in the future. Obviously we know an Avengers 2 is planned anyway, so we can infer that regardless. But at least with the way Iron Man 3 ended, there is justifiable questions if thats "the end" of Iron Man. So it does give a little reassurance that its not.

Old
05-15-2013, 01:30 PM
tsipka

For those that are having a hard time following Game of Thrones, and have about a million hours of free time, I suggest reading the books. Im up to the second book and it helps a little with the characters and making sense of the story lines. Granted there are plenty of new things in Season 3 that the first 2 books havent touched on, but it does help and is a good read (since you already know that you like the story).

Why do they make all the actors look so dam similar?? Drives me nuts.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I don't know what you're complaining about, I'd welcome it if they had more actresses that look like Rose Leslie on the show.

Old
05-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Yeah, same boat here. I've run into people that really like it, but with a few complaints, and those who weren't crazy about some bigger things and gave it a similar rating to you. I would be more in the first group, but that's also because I don't have as much familiarity with the comics as others (who were more in the second group)

That's definitely what I appreciated about it. I did like the added depth to the character and his point of view. In a lot of ways, I actually did note some similarities to the Dark Knight Rises in this movie. At least in terms of the tone and character development. That could definitely tie into my enjoyment of the movie as well.

While I don't like it as much as I did the first two, I definitely did enjoy it. Especially as it relates in the timeline following the Avengers. Were it not in this order, I don't think I would enjoy it as much. It would definitely feel... "off" to say the least.

I have a friend who is very well versed in the comics and #1 was his biggest complaint. His opinion was that the Mandarin was supposed to be to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman or Lex Luther to Superman, and that this movie just didn't do that relationship justice.

For #3, I can see that, but I think that's something we can't quite judge yet. Lets not forget that Iron Man 1 and 2 only had so many references, partly because of where they were released in comparison to the other Marvel movies. Lets see how Thor 2 ties in to this (if at all) to see if it established anything. Iron Man 1 more established it and the others then connected to some extent from there. That may be the same case here as well. To an extent, I do like how it wasn't overly connected in this movie though. I do enjoy that they keep this movie about Iron Man's story, and not just one perspective of the Avengers while ignoring the happenings of the other characters.

As for the after movie scene:

Spoil:
there wasn't much to give it "excitement" but it does "hint" at something to an extent. The fact that he's talking to Bruce Banner shows that there is a connection with the characters in the future. Obviously we know an Avengers 2 is planned anyway, so we can infer that regardless. But at least with the way Iron Man 3 ended, there is justifiable questions if thats "the end" of Iron Man. So it does give a little reassurance that its not.
Your friend was right on with his description of the Mandarin in relation to Iron Man. I felt that they did a good job of updating the character making it something "realistic" and was looking forward to more and how he would be dealt with but I really disliked how they decided to just turn him into a while big joke.

I see your point regarding #3. Maybe I need to realize they are calling this Phase 2 for a reason and not lump it together with the other movies. Still, seeing Nick Fury, Shield or anyone associated with future movies would've been nice.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Your friend was right on with his description of the Mandarin in relation to Iron Man. I felt that they did a good job of updating the character making it something "realistic" and was looking forward to more and how he would be dealt with but I really disliked how they decided to just turn him into a while big joke.

I see your point regarding #3. Maybe I need to realize they are calling this Phase 2 for a reason and not lump it together with the other movies. Still, seeing Nick Fury, Shield or anyone associated with future movies would've been nice.
Yeah, I can agree with that (with wanting see Fury or something with Shield). Not to keep going with the "lets wait and see" type angle, but ultimately I wonder if the reason we DON'T see that is because it will be giving away more of the basis for the next Avengers if they did? The first time we saw that after Iron Man 1, that was our tip off that Avengers was coming. Now that we know there will be an Avengers 2, would seeing Nick Fury really contribute much? Its not so much "recruiting" like it was in the credits of the first phase of movies. The Avengers initiative is something they've carried out obviously. At most, his purpose would be in a "getting the gang back together" kind of thing. At least, from my perspective. Not sure how much that would really add, but that's just my take on it.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Yeah, I can agree with that (with wanting see Fury or something with Shield). Not to keep going with the "lets wait and see" type angle, but ultimately I wonder if the reason we DON'T see that is because it will be giving away more of the basis for the next Avengers if they did? The first time we saw that after Iron Man 1, that was our tip off that Avengers was coming. Now that we know there will be an Avengers 2, would seeing Nick Fury really contribute much? Its not so much "recruiting" like it was in the credits of the first phase of movies. The Avengers initiative is something they've carried out obviously. At most, his purpose would be in a "getting the gang back together" kind of thing. At least, from my perspective. Not sure how much that would really add, but that's just my take on it.
I understand your view. For me, I'm a little more so looking forward to Captain America 2 because of the seemingly heavy inclusion of Shield with Fury, Black Widow, Maria Hill (Colbie Smulders!) and the Falcon all confirmed.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Devils731

I enjoyed Iron Man as a movie but didn't like how it crapped on the existing mythos for no good reason.

I also disliked the stinger at the end of the credits was meaningless. Why have it there to basically put in 1 lame joke? I would rather they have followed their existing theme and had something hinting at Thor 2 or Avengers 2.

Old
05-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Ripshot 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I enjoyed Iron Man as a movie but didn't like how it crapped on the existing mythos for no good reason.

I also disliked the stinger at the end of the credits was meaningless. Why have it there to basically put in 1 lame joke? I would rather they have followed their existing theme and had something hinting at Thor 2 or Avengers 2.
You and I seem to have thought along the same lines then.

Spoil:

I really thought the initial rumors of a Guardians of the Galaxy tie in after the credits would've happened. It would've been so smart for them to advertise their new property coming out this year that even some comic book fans aren't familiar with. To tie the new guy in with the billion dollar blockbuster would've been nice to see. Mark Ruffalo did come out and say their was a very different scene that initially was going to be shot for the after credits scene but then seemingly late in the game, the director contacted him to shoot that small role.

Last edited by Ripshot 43: 05-16-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old
05-19-2013, 08:41 PM
EliasFTW

I am the god of **** and wine. I shall build a shrine. lol

Old
05-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
I am the god of **** and wine. I shall build a shrine. lol
YES!!!

Two Weeks?!?!?!?!?! God I hate Liberace!!!

Old
05-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Holy shizzzzzzz.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:10 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Sam the Slayer is born.

Very different from the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipka View Post
For those that are having a hard time following Game of Thrones, and have about a million hours of free time, I suggest reading the books. Im up to the second book and it helps a little with the characters and making sense of the story lines. Granted there are plenty of new things in Season 3 that the first 2 books havent touched on, but it does help and is a good read (since you already know that you like the story).

Why do they make all the actors look so dam similar?? Drives me nuts.
It depends. If you think people like Jon and Robb for example look too much alike, then you probably shouldn't bother watching it to begin with. If they look similar, maybe it means HBO did a good job casting the actors? :/

Old
05-20-2013, 12:08 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

No wedding like a Westeros wedding it seems, hope the weddings coming up are as entertaining as this one. Queen of Thorns continues to be a scene stealer.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
No wedding like a Westeros wedding it seems, hope the weddings coming up are as entertaining as this one. Queen of Thorns continues to be a scene stealer.
She's the best. I look forward to her lines more than any other character at this point.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
05-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i thought into darkness was pretty fantastic.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

The three leeches were perfect. I love the poetry there.

The heart-leech for Robb, the beloved King in the North, the belly-leech for Balon, the King in the middle of Westeros, and the third leech for the little dick.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Ripshot 43

No Game of Thrones next week?!? Nooooooooooooo!

Darn you NASCAR!!!!

Old
05-20-2013, 07:58 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i thought into darkness was pretty fantastic.
I enjoyed it too. A little uneven through the beginning but the high parts got up pretty high.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

What? No Thrones? No? No!!!

Old
05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
What? No Thrones? No? No!!!
Yepp No Thrones. Instead HBO is premiering their new movie about Liberace.

Actually it is because it is the holiday weekend, and they don't want the ratings dip on what is most likely the big WHAM episode of the season (if they follow the previous season's trends as the penultimate episodes of the first two seasons were the big wham episodes...Ned's head and the Blackwater)

Old
05-21-2013, 04:35 AM
MadDevil

I couldn't help but laugh during Lady Olenna's explanation of the Lannister/Tyrell family tree.

It's going to be a long two weeks...

Closed Thread