HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
  #251
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,564
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
lol http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl_po.php?tid=32

2 players are 5'09
2 players are 5'11
5 players are 6'00
3 players are 6'01
5 players are 6'02
2 players are 6'03
3 players are 6'04
1 player is 6'09 (GUESS WHO?)

I'd love to have a small team like this
To be fair Hamilton and Seguin are soft as butter and that's their future core.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:29 PM
  #252
Stripper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
To be fair Hamilton and Seguin are soft as butter and that's their future core.
I'm not surprised about Seguin, but I think that it's because it was Hamiltons first season that he's like that. The guys only 19 years old, no doubt that he'll get more physical with time :-)!

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
  #253
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
lol http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl_po.php?tid=32

2 players are 5'09
2 players are 5'11
5 players are 6'00
3 players are 6'01
5 players are 6'02
2 players are 6'03
3 players are 6'04
1 player is 6'09 (GUESS WHO?)

I'd love to have a small team like this
http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/20...t-and-age.html

Boston ranks 26th in weight & 21st in height.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
  #254
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
What Pleks does for this team is really underrated. Most of the time he's up against the best line on the opposing team, plays the PK and takes most of the defensive zone draws.
Irrelevant.
My comment relates to the fact that Plekanec had a terrible year after what was ultimately is 2nd best season as a Hab.

Sure, Plekanec is good. Not enough to be a first center, but good regardless.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
  #255
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What if Desharnais has a rebound season and Galchenyuk has a sophomore slump? Both are things that are likely to happen.
FYI the sophomore slump is a myth.

The majority of NHL players do better in their secon year than in their first. Just look up 15 or 20 random players.

The reason people believe in the sophmore slump is because they think of players like Teemu Selanne, that overachieved in their first season. They then do less well in their second season, not because of "growing pains", but because of statistical regression to the mean. However, those players are the exception.

Expect Galchenyuk to be a little better next year than this year.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:48 PM
  #256
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
And yet Boston is one of the smaller teams in the NHL. Detroit, the most successful franchise over the last 2 decades, is also one the smaller teams in the NHL.


It's not just about the average height of a team.

Boston is effectively big because they have Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Horton, Thornton. Three of those four players can hold an effective shift, which means they have size on the ice for most of the game. It is because of those guys that Marchand can play "tough".

If all of those players I just mentioned were 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, and then Seguin, Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krecji, were each 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier, the average size on the Bruins team would be the same, but the effective size of the team would be smaller.

That is the problem with the Habs. We have a lot of outliers at the short end (Bouillon, DD, Gallagher, Gionta), but an absence of outliers at the high end. Our enforcer is 5'11" Brandon Prust and he is missing both shoulders because of that role. We're not that far off from being a big team, I think that with a sequence of good moves we can be there by the 2014-2015 season.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:51 PM
  #257
AcadiaAxeMan
Registered User
 
AcadiaAxeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Exactly my pick as well

For the reasons mentioned, he would be my choice as well! Would love to see him with Gally and Gally (in a few)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Valery Nichuskin, apperently going 6th would be such an ideal pick.
6'3 200lbs, russian RIGHT winger(position we lack size so desperately)
Apperently he's a dominant physical sniper. By reading his resume he looks like an Ilya Kovalchuck type of guy, but I agree I think Montreal would have to give something like Tinordi that high up in the draft.

EDIT: Seems a lot like Ovie actually, probably a mix of Kovy and Ovie :p

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
  #258
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What if Desharnais has a rebound season and Galchenyuk has a sophomore slump? Both are things that are likely to happen. Sure Galchenyuk is awesome and he's had a great stretch of games and sure Desharnais really struggled but its hockey. Things change fast and unexpectedly all the time. Desharnais in 2011-12 was great, maybe he's the one that had a sophomore slump?
my friend even if the midget bounces back to 60 points he still cant carry Galchy`s jock strap

what is so hard to see here , Galchy , Pleks and Eller are so far ahead of of him at center in importance and overall game it aint funny

he will still be a small finesse , sheltered defensive liability

even if Galchy slumps , he is still better than the midget hands down plus 2 other competent centers who can play and take over are on ths roster

Folks if this was years ago when we had Koivu who was near the end , Lang who was done , and Lappiere as our top 3 , I dont argue with you , keep him till you find someone better .... THEY ARE HERE NOW AND BETTER

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:48 PM
  #259
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Irrelevant.
My comment relates to the fact that Plekanec had a terrible year after what was ultimately is 2nd best season as a Hab.

Sure, Plekanec is good. Not enough to be a first center, but good regardless.
Pleks was never a first line center , but a solid #2 on most teams

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
  #260
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
To be fair Hamilton and Seguin are soft as butter and that's their future core.
I will take those 2 on my team anytime

lets see if they will take my 2 butter guys DD and Dias

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
  #261
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
my friend even if the midget bounces back to 60 points he still cant carry Galchy`s jock strap

what is so hard to see here , Galchy , Pleks and Eller are so far ahead of of him at center in importance and overall game it aint funny

he will still be a small finesse , sheltered defensive liability

even if Galchy slumps , he is still better than the midget hands down plus 2 other competent centers who can play and take over are on ths roster

Folks if this was years ago when we had Koivu who was near the end , Lang who was done , and Lappiere as our top 3 , I dont argue with you , keep him till you find someone better .... THEY ARE HERE NOW AND BETTER
I don't know why people bother arguing with you. You obviously have an agenda and nobody with common sense can seem to reason with you.

If you think Glachenyuk is already a better overall player than Deshanais then you are beyond help, because NOBODY on the roster had more sheltered minutes than him

Don't get me wrong, I love his skill and upside and I think he will be 3x the player Desharnais is in 2-3 years, but RIGHT NOW, he has a lot to work on to not be a liability in certain sutuations.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:51 PM
  #262
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Pleks was never a first line center , but a solid #2 on most teams
He compares to all but about 20 top centers overall. #1 on a weak team or #2 on a strong one.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
  #263
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
I wonder what kind of trade value DD could get on the market.

If Edmonton is ready to trade their 7th overall pick for our 1rst+DD I do, that would be an ideal profitable trade.
what the hell are the Oils going to do with the Midget ? cmon

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:53 PM
  #264
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He compares to all but about 20 top centers overall. #1 on a weak team or #2 on a strong one.
thatrs about right but he is solid and useful

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
  #265
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post


It's not just about the average height of a team.

Boston is effectively big because they have Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Horton, Thornton. Three of those four players can hold an effective shift, which means they have size on the ice for most of the game. It is because of those guys that Marchand can play "tough".

If all of those players I just mentioned were 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, and then Seguin, Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krecji, were each 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier, the average size on the Bruins team would be the same, but the effective size of the team would be smaller.

That is the problem with the Habs. We have a lot of outliers at the short end (Bouillon, DD, Gallagher, Gionta), but an absence of outliers at the high end. Our enforcer is 5'11" Brandon Prust and he is missing both shoulders because of that role. We're not that far off from being a big team, I think that with a sequence of good moves we can be there by the 2014-2015 season.
There's someone that understands it. TEAM TOUGHNESS! Horton was soft until he came to Boston. Krecji and Marchand have played tougher than they are because of this team toughness. Campbell isn't a big guy but has grit and can fight. Thornton as well. It's their identity and they expect that kind of play.

If Horton, Marchand, Krecji, etc played with us, we'd all be complaining about how soft they are.

Habs biggest problem as you said is the bigger players do not play big. Markov, Gorges (whom I think is small but is over 6ft), Tinordi (he is a rook though) do not play tough. Neither does Max, Moen (I don't know what happened to this guy), Gally (he's a rookie), Ryder, Kaberle, Ryder, Armstrong etc.

Average/Big guys who play big? Bourque, PK, Emelin, Prust, White

Too many bigger guys who play a soft game. That's the problem

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:56 PM
  #266
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't know why people bother arguing with you. You obviously have an agenda and nobody with common sense can seem to reason with you.

If you think Glachenyuk is already a better overall player than Deshanais then you are beyond help, because NOBODY on the roster had more sheltered minutes than him

Don't get me wrong, I love his skill and upside and I think he will be 3x the player Desharnais is in 2-3 years, but RIGHT NOW, he has a lot to work on to not be a liability in certain sutuations.
Oh...he is.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:58 PM
  #267
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't know why people bother arguing with you. You obviously have an agenda and nobody with common sense can seem to reason with you.

If you think Glachenyuk is already a better overall player than Deshanais then you are beyond help, because NOBODY on the roster had more sheltered minutes than him

Don't get me wrong, I love his skill and upside and I think he will be 3x the player Desharnais is in 2-3 years, but RIGHT NOW, he has a lot to work on to not be a liability in certain sutuations.
alright lets do this my friend

ALLRIGHT FOLKS COME OCTOBER , WHO DO YOU WANT CENTERING MAX and GALLAGHER

DD ....the useless top 6 forward we saw all year

or

GALCHENUYK .....the #1 center , who has size , speed ,skill , hands , and has shown skill beyond his age .

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
  #268
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
alright lets do this my friend

ALLRIGHT FOLKS COME OCTOBER , WHO DO YOU WANT CENTERING MAX and GALLAGHER

DD ....the useless top 6 forward we saw all year

or

GALCHENUYK .....the #1 center , who has size , speed ,skill , hands , and has shown skill beyond his age .
Galchenyuk needs to keep working on his game on a 3rd line with more sheltered minutes. MT and MB obviously agree as he basically said it in yis year end PC.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
  #269
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Oh...he is.
thank you , who the hell would take DD over Galchy right now on the top line

even if he slumps a bit , u have Pleks and Eller to fall back on

its an absolute no brainer

Galchy played limited minutes and still produced , he showed Malkin like ability and skill , he outplayed and outscored DD in the playoffs , what more do you need to see

how can he not ouplay the midget given his pp time , extra minutes , cmon on

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:11 PM
  #270
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Galchenyuk needs to keep working on his game on a 3rd line with more sheltered minutes. MT and MB obviously agree as he basically said it in yis year end PC.
he will take over next year at some point

listen if u r comparing him to Pleks, agreed 100% he is not as complete right now

but compred to DD , come on man there is no debate here , sorry , it aint even close , Galchy can do so many things that DD cant even do on a PS3 game

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:29 PM
  #271
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post


It's not just about the average height of a team.

Boston is effectively big because they have Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Horton, Thornton. Three of those four players can hold an effective shift, which means they have size on the ice for most of the game. It is because of those guys that Marchand can play "tough".

If all of those players I just mentioned were 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, and then Seguin, Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krecji, were each 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier, the average size on the Bruins team would be the same, but the effective size of the team would be smaller.

That is the problem with the Habs. We have a lot of outliers at the short end (Bouillon, DD, Gallagher, Gionta), but an absence of outliers at the high end. Our enforcer is 5'11" Brandon Prust and he is missing both shoulders because of that role. We're not that far off from being a big team, I think that with a sequence of good moves we can be there by the 2014-2015 season.


This post is just regurgitating conventional pieties. Show me one example where Marchand has been backed up by any of those players. You can't because it doesn't happen.

Your above narrative sounds like PJ Stock - the Habs need moarbig players to create room for their skill players which is pure BS.

Prust is not our enforcer - he's a bottom 6 role player who fights now and again.

Again, ignore the evidence that Chicago and Detroit are not much "bigger" than the Habs and are very successful.

Begevin stated that he intends to build through the draft. So what the Habs have coming up is what we're going to get by "the 2014-2015 season" - supplemented by UFAs, trades and waiver pickups.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
  #272
impudent_lowlife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 782
vCash: 500
BTW: Excellent piece on size and injuries:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...reate-injuries

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
  #273
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,056
vCash: 500
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post


This post is just regurgitating conventional pieties. Show me one example where Marchand has been backed up by any of those players. You can't because it doesn't happen.

Your above narrative sounds like PJ Stock - the Habs need moarbig players to create room for their skill players which is pure BS.

Prust is not our enforcer - he's a bottom 6 role player who fights now and again.

Again, ignore the evidence that Chicago and Detroit are not much "bigger" than the Habs and are very successful.

Begevin stated that he intends to build through the draft. So what the Habs have coming up is what we're going to get by "the 2014-2015 season" - supplemented by UFAs, trades and waiver pickups.
I can't believe we're still arguing about this. Habs are SOFT. OK? Do you understand this? They are regarded as a SOFT team. They are unwilling to go to the dirty areas save for a 5'7 rookie. Their game is perimeter. When the game gets physical, they wilt. OK? SOFT They have 3 players in their top 6 that are under 5'8. This is a problem especially in the playoffs.

Detroit and Chicago are not soft teams. Are they big, bruising teams? No. But they can handle their own. I think Chicago is a little softer but they can play any kind of game.

They not only need bigger players, they need bigger players who will play physical hockey. Do they need skilled players? Of course, but you need a good mix of many aspects to be successful. Habs are missing many key elements starting with size and toughness...especially on the back end.

I'm not sure why this is lost on so many Habs fans.

Marchand plays the way he does because it's an organizational identity. Bruins players know that they need to play on the edge. This is why you'll see a guy like Horton come to Boston and turn into a pseudo-goon. Ask a Bruins player what is expected of them and they will talk about physicality and toughness.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
  #274
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
BTW: Excellent piece on size and injuries:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...reate-injuries
I love the stuff that site writes, they actually use stats to prove their points.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:45 PM
  #275
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post


...

Again, ignore the evidence that Chicago and Detroit are not much "bigger" than the Habs and are very successful.


I'm not ignoring the evidence, I have refuted it countless times and I don't feel like repeating the comprehensive dismantling of your non-argument in every post.

We're not Detroit and Chicago, we're a northeast division team. We have Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto, and Boston in our division, four tough teams. This season we rocked in games outside the division and sulked against division rivals. We faced a division rival in the playoffs, and we were easily dispatched, which was easily predictable.

We're in the toughest division in hockey, we should adjust our strategy to suit our rivals.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.