HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
lol http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl_po.php?tid=32

2 players are 5'09
2 players are 5'11
5 players are 6'00
3 players are 6'01
5 players are 6'02
2 players are 6'03
3 players are 6'04
1 player is 6'09 (GUESS WHO?)

I'd love to have a small team like this
To be fair Hamilton and Seguin are soft as butter and that's their future core.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Stripper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I'm not surprised about Seguin, but I think that it's because it was Hamiltons first season that he's like that. The guys only 19 years old, no doubt that he'll get more physical with time :-)!

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:15 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
lol http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/csl_po.php?tid=32

2 players are 5'09
2 players are 5'11
5 players are 6'00
3 players are 6'01
5 players are 6'02
2 players are 6'03
3 players are 6'04
1 player is 6'09 (GUESS WHO?)

I'd love to have a small team like this
http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/20...t-and-age.html

Boston ranks 26th in weight & 21st in height.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:19 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
What Pleks does for this team is really underrated. Most of the time he's up against the best line on the opposing team, plays the PK and takes most of the defensive zone draws.
Irrelevant.
My comment relates to the fact that Plekanec had a terrible year after what was ultimately is 2nd best season as a Hab.

Sure, Plekanec is good. Not enough to be a first center, but good regardless.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What if Desharnais has a rebound season and Galchenyuk has a sophomore slump? Both are things that are likely to happen.
FYI the sophomore slump is a myth.

The majority of NHL players do better in their secon year than in their first. Just look up 15 or 20 random players.

The reason people believe in the sophmore slump is because they think of players like Teemu Selanne, that overachieved in their first season. They then do less well in their second season, not because of "growing pains", but because of statistical regression to the mean. However, those players are the exception.

Expect Galchenyuk to be a little better next year than this year.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:48 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
And yet Boston is one of the smaller teams in the NHL. Detroit, the most successful franchise over the last 2 decades, is also one the smaller teams in the NHL.

It's not just about the average height of a team.

Boston is effectively big because they have Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Horton, Thornton. Three of those four players can hold an effective shift, which means they have size on the ice for most of the game. It is because of those guys that Marchand can play "tough".

If all of those players I just mentioned were 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, and then Seguin, Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krecji, were each 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier, the average size on the Bruins team would be the same, but the effective size of the team would be smaller.

That is the problem with the Habs. We have a lot of outliers at the short end (Bouillon, DD, Gallagher, Gionta), but an absence of outliers at the high end. Our enforcer is 5'11" Brandon Prust and he is missing both shoulders because of that role. We're not that far off from being a big team, I think that with a sequence of good moves we can be there by the 2014-2015 season.

Old
05-19-2013, 04:51 PM
AcadiaAxeMan

Send a message via MSN to AcadiaAxeMan Send a message via Yahoo to AcadiaAxeMan
Exactly my pick as well

For the reasons mentioned, he would be my choice as well! Would love to see him with Gally and Gally (in a few)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Valery Nichuskin, apperently going 6th would be such an ideal pick.
6'3 200lbs, russian RIGHT winger(position we lack size so desperately)
Apperently he's a dominant physical sniper. By reading his resume he looks like an Ilya Kovalchuck type of guy, but I agree I think Montreal would have to give something like Tinordi that high up in the draft.

EDIT: Seems a lot like Ovie actually, probably a mix of Kovy and Ovie :p

AcadiaAxeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:46 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
What if Desharnais has a rebound season and Galchenyuk has a sophomore slump? Both are things that are likely to happen. Sure Galchenyuk is awesome and he's had a great stretch of games and sure Desharnais really struggled but its hockey. Things change fast and unexpectedly all the time. Desharnais in 2011-12 was great, maybe he's the one that had a sophomore slump?
my friend even if the midget bounces back to 60 points he still cant carry Galchy`s jock strap

what is so hard to see here , Galchy , Pleks and Eller are so far ahead of of him at center in importance and overall game it aint funny

he will still be a small finesse , sheltered defensive liability

even if Galchy slumps , he is still better than the midget hands down plus 2 other competent centers who can play and take over are on ths roster

Folks if this was years ago when we had Koivu who was near the end , Lang who was done , and Lappiere as our top 3 , I dont argue with you , keep him till you find someone better .... THEY ARE HERE NOW AND BETTER

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:48 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Irrelevant.
My comment relates to the fact that Plekanec had a terrible year after what was ultimately is 2nd best season as a Hab.

Sure, Plekanec is good. Not enough to be a first center, but good regardless.
Pleks was never a first line center , but a solid #2 on most teams

Old
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I will take those 2 on my team anytime

lets see if they will take my 2 butter guys DD and Dias

Old
05-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
my friend even if the midget bounces back to 60 points he still cant carry Galchy`s jock strap

what is so hard to see here , Galchy , Pleks and Eller are so far ahead of of him at center in importance and overall game it aint funny

he will still be a small finesse , sheltered defensive liability

even if Galchy slumps , he is still better than the midget hands down plus 2 other competent centers who can play and take over are on ths roster

Folks if this was years ago when we had Koivu who was near the end , Lang who was done , and Lappiere as our top 3 , I dont argue with you , keep him till you find someone better .... THEY ARE HERE NOW AND BETTER
I don't know why people bother arguing with you. You obviously have an agenda and nobody with common sense can seem to reason with you.

If you think Glachenyuk is already a better overall player than Deshanais then you are beyond help, because NOBODY on the roster had more sheltered minutes than him

Don't get me wrong, I love his skill and upside and I think he will be 3x the player Desharnais is in 2-3 years, but RIGHT NOW, he has a lot to work on to not be a liability in certain sutuations.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Pleks was never a first line center , but a solid #2 on most teams
He compares to all but about 20 top centers overall. #1 on a weak team or #2 on a strong one.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
I wonder what kind of trade value DD could get on the market.

If Edmonton is ready to trade their 7th overall pick for our 1rst+DD I do, that would be an ideal profitable trade.
what the hell are the Oils going to do with the Midget ? cmon

Old
05-19-2013, 05:53 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He compares to all but about 20 top centers overall. #1 on a weak team or #2 on a strong one.
thatrs about right but he is solid and useful

Old
05-19-2013, 05:55 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Boston is effectively big because they have Chara, Lucic, McQuaid, Horton, Thornton. Three of those four players can hold an effective shift, which means they have size on the ice for most of the game. It is because of those guys that Marchand can play "tough".

If all of those players I just mentioned were 2 inches shorter and 10 lbs lighter, and then Seguin, Rask, Marchand, Bergeron, Krecji, were each 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier, the average size on the Bruins team would be the same, but the effective size of the team would be smaller.

That is the problem with the Habs. We have a lot of outliers at the short end (Bouillon, DD, Gallagher, Gionta), but an absence of outliers at the high end. Our enforcer is 5'11" Brandon Prust and he is missing both shoulders because of that role. We're not that far off from being a big team, I think that with a sequence of good moves we can be there by the 2014-2015 season.
There's someone that understands it. TEAM TOUGHNESS! Horton was soft until he came to Boston. Krecji and Marchand have played tougher than they are because of this team toughness. Campbell isn't a big guy but has grit and can fight. Thornton as well. It's their identity and they expect that kind of play.

If Horton, Marchand, Krecji, etc played with us, we'd all be complaining about how soft they are.

Habs biggest problem as you said is the bigger players do not play big. Markov, Gorges (whom I think is small but is over 6ft), Tinordi (he is a rook though) do not play tough. Neither does Max, Moen (I don't know what happened to this guy), Gally (he's a rookie), Ryder, Kaberle, Ryder, Armstrong etc.

Average/Big guys who play big? Bourque, PK, Emelin, Prust, White

Too many bigger guys who play a soft game. That's the problem

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:56 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I don't know why people bother arguing with you. You obviously have an agenda and nobody with common sense can seem to reason with you.

If you think Glachenyuk is already a better overall player than Deshanais then you are beyond help, because NOBODY on the roster had more sheltered minutes than him

Don't get me wrong, I love his skill and upside and I think he will be 3x the player Desharnais is in 2-3 years, but RIGHT NOW, he has a lot to work on to not be a liability in certain sutuations.
Oh...he is.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:58 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

alright lets do this my friend

ALLRIGHT FOLKS COME OCTOBER , WHO DO YOU WANT CENTERING MAX and GALLAGHER

DD ....the useless top 6 forward we saw all year

or

GALCHENUYK .....the #1 center , who has size , speed ,skill , hands , and has shown skill beyond his age .

Old
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
alright lets do this my friend

ALLRIGHT FOLKS COME OCTOBER , WHO DO YOU WANT CENTERING MAX and GALLAGHER

DD ....the useless top 6 forward we saw all year

or

GALCHENUYK .....the #1 center , who has size , speed ,skill , hands , and has shown skill beyond his age .
Galchenyuk needs to keep working on his game on a 3rd line with more sheltered minutes. MT and MB obviously agree as he basically said it in yis year end PC.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:07 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Oh...he is.
thank you , who the hell would take DD over Galchy right now on the top line

even if he slumps a bit , u have Pleks and Eller to fall back on

its an absolute no brainer

Galchy played limited minutes and still produced , he showed Malkin like ability and skill , he outplayed and outscored DD in the playoffs , what more do you need to see

how can he not ouplay the midget given his pp time , extra minutes , cmon on

Old
05-19-2013, 06:11 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Galchenyuk needs to keep working on his game on a 3rd line with more sheltered minutes. MT and MB obviously agree as he basically said it in yis year end PC.
he will take over next year at some point

listen if u r comparing him to Pleks, agreed 100% he is not as complete right now

but compred to DD , come on man there is no debate here , sorry , it aint even close , Galchy can do so many things that DD cant even do on a PS3 game

Old
05-19-2013, 07:29 PM
impudent_lowlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

This post is just regurgitating conventional pieties. Show me one example where Marchand has been backed up by any of those players. You can't because it doesn't happen.

Your above narrative sounds like PJ Stock - the Habs need moarbig players to create room for their skill players which is pure BS.

Prust is not our enforcer - he's a bottom 6 role player who fights now and again.

Again, ignore the evidence that Chicago and Detroit are not much "bigger" than the Habs and are very successful.

Begevin stated that he intends to build through the draft. So what the Habs have coming up is what we're going to get by "the 2014-2015 season" - supplemented by UFAs, trades and waiver pickups.

Old
05-19-2013, 07:30 PM
impudent_lowlife

BTW: Excellent piece on size and injuries:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...reate-injuries

Old
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

!

Quote:

This post is just regurgitating conventional pieties. Show me one example where Marchand has been backed up by any of those players. You can't because it doesn't happen.

Your above narrative sounds like PJ Stock - the Habs need moarbig players to create room for their skill players which is pure BS.

Prust is not our enforcer - he's a bottom 6 role player who fights now and again.

Again, ignore the evidence that Chicago and Detroit are not much "bigger" than the Habs and are very successful.

Begevin stated that he intends to build through the draft. So what the Habs have coming up is what we're going to get by "the 2014-2015 season" - supplemented by UFAs, trades and waiver pickups.
I can't believe we're still arguing about this. Habs are SOFT. OK? Do you understand this? They are regarded as a SOFT team. They are unwilling to go to the dirty areas save for a 5'7 rookie. Their game is perimeter. When the game gets physical, they wilt. OK? SOFT They have 3 players in their top 6 that are under 5'8. This is a problem especially in the playoffs.

Detroit and Chicago are not soft teams. Are they big, bruising teams? No. But they can handle their own. I think Chicago is a little softer but they can play any kind of game.

They not only need bigger players, they need bigger players who will play physical hockey. Do they need skilled players? Of course, but you need a good mix of many aspects to be successful. Habs are missing many key elements starting with size and toughness...especially on the back end.

I'm not sure why this is lost on so many Habs fans.

Marchand plays the way he does because it's an organizational identity. Bruins players know that they need to play on the edge. This is why you'll see a guy like Horton come to Boston and turn into a pseudo-goon. Ask a Bruins player what is expected of them and they will talk about physicality and toughness.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
sharks9

Quote:
BTW: Excellent piece on size and injuries:

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...reate-injuries
I love the stuff that site writes, they actually use stats to prove their points.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

I'm not ignoring the evidence, I have refuted it countless times and I don't feel like repeating the comprehensive dismantling of your non-argument in every post.

We're not Detroit and Chicago, we're a northeast division team. We have Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto, and Boston in our division, four tough teams. This season we rocked in games outside the division and sulked against division rivals. We faced a division rival in the playoffs, and we were easily dispatched, which was easily predictable.

We're in the toughest division in hockey, we should adjust our strategy to suit our rivals.