HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 06:16 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
You're listing Norris candidates. You can most certainly be a #1 dman and not be in the discussion for a Norris. Much like you can be a #1 goalie goalie and not be in the discussion for the Vezina.
So where are you drawing the line then? 'Cause obviously it's somewhere between where I consider top tier #1 D and the fact that there are 30 #1's in a 30 team league.

I see no problem in holding a higher standard as opposed to slapping the title on every promising young rookie coming into the league.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Cerebral

Zadorov terrifies me. I've only seen him play a few games and I can see his immense potential but I could easily see him busting.

If we choose to draft a defenceman, I'd be much happier with one of Nurse or Ristolainen. I feel both have similar top-end potential (although both project more offensively) but their bust factors are much lower.

Ristolainen is probably the one who is being underrated a little. I don't see much of a difference between him and Nurse and I wouldn't be terribly sad or shocked if the Oilers select him at 7 overall.

05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Zadorov terrifies me. I've only seen him play a few games and I can see his immense potential but I could easily see him busting.

If we choose to draft a defenceman, I'd be much happier with one of Nurse or Ristolainen. I feel both have similar top-end potential (although both project more offensively) but their bust factors are much lower.

Ristolainen is probably the one who is being underrated a little. I don't see much of a difference between him and Nurse and I wouldn't be terribly sad or shocked if the Oilers select him at 7 overall.
If we draft Risto, we'll have a pretty multicultural D core down the road.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:34 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I made a statement about first round picks, not top 10. You choose to respond to me after changing the data. Alot of talk in this thread is about possible trade downs, and other defencemen beyond ones for #7. I'd say that is pretty relevant to the conversation. don't you think?
Yeah I'd misread it as top-10 defensemen. If you'd said all 1st round defensemen there's no way in hell I'd even prepare that list.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:37 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
No particular order

Tier 1 Defensemen (Coveted "#1 defenseman")

Suter
Chara
Weber
Keith
Karlsson*

*If he can recover form from injury.

OEL, Pietrangelo and Doughty still have to prove they belong on that top list. They definitely are well on their way as are many others. But they haven't taken it to the next level the way the rest have.
That's not a list of #1 defensemen. That's a list of elite defensemen.

Just because Crosby/Malkin/Datsyuk/Stamkos are the greatest C's in the league doesn't mean Thornton/Kopitar/Toews aren't #1C's...

And BTW, if you have Keith on that list, then Pietrangelo certainly deserves to be there. OEL arguably as well. Keith's game has declined somewhat, and that being said he always had a legitimate #2D at his disposal beside him in Seabrook.

Chara/Weber/Suter/Karlsson/Pietrangelo have looked like elite defensemen regardless of who they're playing with. Keith has played quite below himself when paired with Hjalmarsson in recent games.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:52 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Yeah I'd misread it as top-10 defensemen. If you'd said all 1st round defensemen there's no way in hell I'd even prepare that list.
Not only did he say it, but you bolded it in your reply.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=184

Old
05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not only did he say it, but you bolded it in your reply.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=184
Yes, hence the term "misread"

Old
05-19-2013, 08:05 PM
ghostnights

vCash: 250
I think the pick will be traded for an NHL ready dman.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

What's with the lack of talk about Mohanan? Is it because he's going to be gone for sure by the time #7 rolls up?

Old
05-19-2013, 08:56 PM
nando2392

Josh Morrisey is a steal if we could get a second first

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-tBcwlPKY

Old
05-19-2013, 09:07 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
What's with the lack of talk about Mohanan? Is it because he's going to be gone for sure by the time #7 rolls up?
Or because everything to discuss about Monahan has been discussed in the many past editions of the draft thread.

Old
05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
sundog

I'm not claiming to know much about most prospects, but I wonder if people are falling in love with Zadorovs size a little too much. Is it possible he's going to be another Teubert?

Old
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So where are you drawing the line then?
If you're being wishy-washy on including a guy like Doughty, who while with some imperfections still easily leads his team's blue line, has a well-earned Norris-nomination and could easily have been a Conn Smythe while playing a massive role in his team's recent Cup victory, then you're putting the line in a very unreasonable place.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:23 PM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Do I agree with all the picks that we have made in the last 5 or 6 years of course not. We have no idea what we have as far as our prospects go. They are still 2 yrs away until the first set is consider a bust or not. Those players are PRV, Lander, Harti, Hamilton, Pitlick, and Rajala. I am sure there are a few more but that is about it. I feel that they need two more seasons to see if they are a bust or not.
This.
Most picks later than #10 overall take a few years to develop. Any player taken out of the first round that is under 23 can not be considered a bust yet. Some of those guys were taken later because they needed to physically, mentally, or game wise mature. Some take 5 or 6 years in the minors to become useful Nhl players. Every year there are some exceptions but that is mostly luck.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Slatsmsg

vCash: 370
I will be very disappointed, and surprised, if this pick and Hemmer aren't moved to upgrade either D or size on the wing.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:14 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Or because everything to discuss about Monahan has been discussed in the many past editions of the draft thread.
Yes I think we've established most of us are quite happy with him at #7 but we're thinking he may not be available.

Thus we look at Nurse/Zadarov/Ristolainen.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:51 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I don't like talking about Monahan personally because the more I think about how perfect his game is, the more upset I get that he probably won't e available at 7.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I don't like talking about Monahan personally because the more I think about how perfect his game is, the more upset I get that he probably won't e available at 7.
And even worse, how he'll likely be picked at #6

05-20-2013, 08:42 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Pretty much and the fact that the center talk has been dissecting to death by now.
Knowing that Monahan is in all likelihood gone before 7 and the fact that the Oilers brass seems to be ignoring Lindholm altogether (which is odd to say the least) unless Stu has on his poker face, i prefer that they just trade the pick in a package for a top pairing defenseman.

None of the D available at 7 seem like real standouts and all seem like they could be years away from making an impact if at all so since this is MacT's most valuable asset, he might as well utilize it to bring in an impact player. I don't see any other asset (including Gagner) that could bring in a difference maker and we all know how poor the pro scouting is so i highly doubt that they sign one.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:44 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Monahan will be gone, So will Lindholm, Nikushkin is in KHL for another few years and MacT probably isnt patient enough for him...I can see either trading up into top 5, more likely trading down drafting Gauthier or Lazar and gaining an extra 2nd rounder, or drafting Nurse or Zadorov or Ristolainen.
I think they should do whatever it takes to get into top 5, even at the expense of Gagner or Hemsky and our 7th overall pick.
7th+Gagner for 4th overall +2nd round pick is probably a very reasonable trade.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:19 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Monahan will be gone, So will Lindholm, Nikushkin is in KHL for another few years and MacT probably isnt patient enough for him...I can see either trading up into top 5, more likely trading down drafting Gauthier or Lazar and gaining an extra 2nd rounder, or drafting Nurse or Zadorov or Ristolainen.
I think they should do whatever it takes to get into top 5, even at the expense of Gagner or Hemsky and our 7th overall pick.
You think Nashville is going to walk away from Barkov and likely end up with Nurse/Zadarov/Ristolainen for Gagner and a 2nd? I wouldnt do that if I were them.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:24 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
I don't think the Oilers are going to trade down to take Gauthier out of all people, his potential seems to be limited. Montreal has Nashville's 2nd round pick.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:42 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
You think Nashville is going to walk away from Barkov and likely end up with Nurse/Zadarov/Ristolainen for Gagner and a 2nd? I wouldnt do that if I were them.
Gagner is a proven top six forward, in 82 games this season likely would've put up 55-60 points and is only 23 yrs old.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:16 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

The only chance the Oil are going to have at a trade-up for a reasonable price is CAR at #5. This is if Barkov is still on the board and for some reason CAR has their sights set on someone else. You pull the trigger then.

They're a win-now team. They may be willing to take some immediate help for a position a couple spots lower.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Nashville might figure that they have enough good defensive forwards that could cover for Gagners brutal 2 way game. That being said Barkov has the size and a great 2 way game already. No way they pass on him.

Closed Thread