HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official OKC Barons 12/13 Thread:

Old
05-17-2013, 12:16 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
4 games to 1. How sweet it is!
Fixed for accuracy.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:22 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
My thoughts exactly. He needs power skating lessons badly. If he was faster he'd be a hell of an NHLer. That has to be his primary focus this offseason.
The skating is an issue but i think he can be an effective NHLer even if his skating doesn't drastically improve. There have been plenty of NHLers who have succeeded with average to below average skating.

His biggest issue is consistent effort level and embracing his role as a net presence. He focuses too much on protecting the puck down low without any substance coming from it. He needs to learn to utilize his teammates better and crash the net with more regularity.

I also think that his development has been handled extremely poorly having been bounced back and forth between OKC and Edmonton countless times and shuffled around the lineup when he's up here. It's hard to gain any confidence when he's being handled that way.
I think it's time next season to see what we have in him, same with Lander. He will be entering his 4th pro season and Lander his 3rd. It's time to give these guys a fair shake and let them work through the growing pains without having to look over their shoulder.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Josh Green ‏@greendogg12 5m
A wise man once said, 'it's amazing how much can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit' ... #greasybarons #lovethisteam

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 02:48 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Josh Green ‏@greendogg12 5m
A wise man once said, 'it's amazing how much can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit' ... #greasybarons #lovethisteam
I love the sound of that. Seems there are a lot of guys in the Barons with great work ethic and passion for the game. Which from an Oilers perspective is a good thing since most of the guys coming from the AHL will be bottom sixers/bottom pairing kind of players and if there's one thing I expect from the bottom six it's hard work, passion and leaving it all out there attitude.
With guys like Lander, Arcobello and Rajala who always works their ***** off and guys like Davidson and Fedun who have worked through a lot to get where they are I bet they're building a great culture down in OKC.

One of the main reasons I can't stand our current bottom six is the lack of passion they display game in game out. The only one who always seems to bring it is Petrell.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:01 AM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
I love the sound of that. Seems there are a lot of guys in the Barons with great work ethic and passion for the game.
Last night Randy Jones kind of went nuts at the buzzer. He jumps over the bench, sprints over to Danis and almost tackles him, then starts hugging everybody. Goes through the handshake line, then gives everyone a hug as they leave. As he's going down the tunnel, he does a jump high-five with everyone in the tunnel...coaches, trainers, cops, ice girls, janitors, whoever. It was awesome and hilarious.

Last night was one of the best games the team has ever played. They more or less dominated the best team in the conference wire-to-wire during the regular season. I think this run is going to be really valuable for Oilers prospects and the vets seem to be absolutely loving it. Really fun stuff to watch.

bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
Last night Randy Jones kind of went nuts at the buzzer. He jumps over the bench, sprints over to Danis and almost tackles him, then starts hugging everybody. Goes through the handshake line, then gives everyone a hug as they leave. As he's going down the tunnel, he does a jump high-five with everyone in the tunnel...coaches, trainers, cops, ice girls, janitors, whoever. It was awesome and hilarious.

Last night was one of the best games the team has ever played. They more or less dominated the best team in the conference wire-to-wire during the regular season. I think this run is going to be really valuable for Oilers prospects and the vets seem to be absolutely loving it. Really fun stuff to watch.
That's ****ing awesome

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:14 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

Nice lol. Part of me still wishes Paajarvi could have been sent down after the NHL season.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 03:07 PM
voxel

Saw a bit of the game. Awesome domination.

The Stars are no creampuff team - the only AHL games I attended this season were at Cedar Park (Austin) and they appeared to be the Barons equal on ice(with Hall, Ebs, J.Shultz, etc.)

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 06:43 AM
Hemsky4PM

Randy Jones should be an NHL no. 7 and he's playing like he wants to get back to the show. Should be pretty easy for him to get a one/two year NHL deal at 750K this summer. He's a solid depth player and was really hampered by his contract in the last couple of seasons he had in the NHL. He made 2.75M in LA in 2010-2011, then down to 1M with the Lightning and 1.15M with the Jets the following seasons.

I'd have him on my team as a no.7 earning 750K. He'll find a contract this summer. Always room for a depth no.7 guy who doesn't cost any cap space.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 11:43 AM
toewsintangibles

Is Rajala still scared of contact?

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:56 PM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Is Rajala still scared of contact?
He doesn't seek it out and he usually loses physical battles, but he certainly doesn't stay out of the dirty areas. I'd say he plays a smart game considering his size/strength.

I'm not sure how much bigger/stronger he can get (if at all) though, he's got a small frame and he doesn't seem to have the exceptional balance/low CoG that guys like Gionta or St. Louis have.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Remember when the lockout ended and Hall, Schultz, Eberle and RNH left the Barons? Everyone was worried about how the Barons couldn't score and looked like a shell of their former self. Nice to see them strong as ever, I really hope they win it all, these guys deserve it.

Obviously it would be good for the Oilers too, it's nice to have a winning culture.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Coach Nelson and his staff are doing something right in OKC. This team is exceeding expectations and he's getting a lot out of everybody.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:47 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Buy-in and system play is what he does best. I hope it turns out he developed good role players as well.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 04:57 AM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Granted I 'm happy for OKC and coach Nelson, I really hope this organization adopts the Ottawa model. Where both the AHL and NHL play the same system so the parts are interchangeable. It would create more continuity and allow for smooth transition when the regular injuries occur.

dixs35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Granted I 'm happy for OKC and coach Nelson, I really hope this organization adopts the Ottawa model. Where both the AHL and NHL play the same system so the parts are interchangeable. It would create more continuity and allow for smooth transition when the regular injuries occur.
Yea I hope this happens too. I'm surprised that all teams don't this, it make's the most sense. With the farm team and the NHL team playing the system is makes transitioning from league to league that much easier for younger players...

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Remember when the lockout ended and Hall, Schultz, Eberle and RNH left the Barons? Everyone was worried about how the Barons couldn't score and looked like a shell of their former self. Nice to see them strong as ever, I really hope they win it all, these guys deserve it.

Obviously it would be good for the Oilers too, it's nice to have a winning culture.
They are better without the Young Stars.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Alicat
Charge!

I hope everyone from your organization in OKC are ok tonight!

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicat View Post
I hope everyone from your organization in OKC are ok tonight!
10 confirmed fatalies in Oklahoma so far, hope the boys and all their fans are locked down somewhere safe while this blows over.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
10 confirmed fatalies in Oklahoma so far, hope the boys and all their fans are locked down somewhere safe while this blows over.
Number has rose to 55 confirmed fatalities, and unfortunately will likely continue to climb throughout the night.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronsfan View Post
Number has rose to 55 confirmed fatalities, and unfortunately will likely continue to climb throughout the night.
Absolutely devastating, the pictures are just insane.

Good luck and stay safe down there man.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Barons' practice facility is in Moore. Everybody is safe and accounted for...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20836216.html

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:22 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I can't even fathom the pure power and the sheer terror that a tornado like that would harness and unleash. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that lost family and friends in OK.

05-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Baronsfan

It could've been bad had they of had practice just a couple hours later. This storm went from a mere cloud in the sky to an F5 tornado with over 300MPH winds and peaked at 2 1/4 mile wide in just 16 minutes.

Woke up to see on twitter that the fatalities rose to 91, but 101 survivors were found buried in the rubble overnight.

Today will start the beginning of a long journey for the city, but one thing Oklahoma knows how to do is persevere and unite. Oklahoma has had more than its fair share of tragedy with the May 3 1999 tornado outbreak (That also took out this same city of Moore), this outbreak, and the terrorist attack bombing at the Murrah Building. However, it has came back closer and stronger each time, so I would expect this to be no different.

Thanks for all the well wishes and kind words from you fine folks in Edmonton.

Edit: ME confirmed that some fatalities were reported multiple times in the midst of all the chaos. Confirmed fatalities went from 91, to 55, to now 24. Still too many lives lost, but a whole lot better than initial reports.

Last edited by Baronsfan: 05-21-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:34 AM
bewbies

Really rough day yesterday. I went through Moore early this morning and I could hardly believe what I was seeing. I also saw the tornado from about 2 miles away right as it hit Moore. It didn't really look like a real thing.

The outpouring of support and concern from all over the world is pretty neat though. It is still the lead story on Sky, BBC, CBC, Al Jazeera, etc.