HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 19 • Bronze Medal Game • Finland vs. USA (stats in post #2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 01:14 PM
Mehar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
This! You play 60 hard minutes and then 10/20 minutes in OT and then say "ahh **** it!, let's decide it with individual skill in a shootout. Doesn't make sense. This is a team game. So many important games are decided by this gimmick it's disgusting win or lose.
Well said. The same analogy applies to other sports. In the Baseball playoffs, do they have Home Run Hitting Contests to determine the winner if the game goes to extra innings? I love watching Basketball as well, and i have watched great games going into Triple OT before a winner is decided. They did not

have a three point contest to determine a winner. In a team sports such as hockey, it sucks that a game has to be determined by an individual Skills contest such as a shootout. I am not saying have no shootouts at all. However, when deciding a winner, let the players keep on playing until a goal is scored.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:15 PM
NorthernHab
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Why does Gibson wear his mask so high up on his head?
Preference. I wear mine really low (Im a goalie in Real life)

Old
05-19-2013, 01:17 PM
NorthernHab
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Well said. The same analogy applies to other sports. In the Baseball playoffs, do they have Home Run Hitting Contests to determine the winner if the game goes to extra innings? I love watching Basketball as well, and i have watched great games going into Triple OT before a winner is decided. They did not

have a three point contest to determine a winner. In a team sports such as hockey, it sucks that a game has to be determined by an individual Skills contest such as a shootout. I am not saying have no shootouts at all. However, when deciding a winner, let the players keep on playing until a goal is scored.
Thing is, with tournaments such as the IIHF, they are playing in one arena (The Globe). They are on a schedule. A winner needs to be decided quickly, not go into quadruple overtime because maintenance needs to clean up etc.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
So proud of this team, especially the young kids Gibson, Trouba & Galchenyuk. The future is bright.

Last edited by magic school bus: 05-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old
05-19-2013, 01:32 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:

Except penalty shots are a part of hockey games. The NBA equivalent wouldn't be a dunk contest, it would be a free throw contest.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Hzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettu View Post
WTF?! Do you think he played well in that tournament?
No he didn't but it doesn't mean that we won't see him in Sochi because he failed in 2012 WC.

Keep in mind also that Lehtonen was chosen best goalie of the 2007 WC. Sometimes you play well and sometimes...well, less so.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy the Goalie View Post
Thing is, with tournaments such as the IIHF, they are playing in one arena (The Globe). They are on a schedule. A winner needs to be decided quickly, not go into quadruple overtime because maintenance needs to clean up etc.
Maybe the IIHF needs to have the Bronze and Gold Medal Games in different arenas then. I know they are on schedule but it sucks that a Gimmick such as a shootout, is used to determine a winner in a team sport such as hockey.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Except penalty shots are a part of hockey games. The NBA equivalent wouldn't be a dunk contest, it would be a free throw contest.
In the regular season they are part of hockey, but there is a reason why there is no shootouts in the NHL Playoffs. All i am saying is have the shootouts in the Preliminary games, but when deciding the Bronze, Silver and Gold Medals, shootouts should be scrapped. That OT was exciting to watch, and to watch a US team barely hang on while being outplayed, and have them get a medal by winning a skills competition, is a joke. Congrats to USA though.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
In the regular season they are part of hockey, but there is a reason why there is no shootouts in the NHL Playoffs. All i am saying is have the shootouts in the Preliminary games, but when deciding the Bronze, Silver and Gold Medals, shootouts should be scrapped. That OT was exciting to watch, and to watch a US team barely hang on while being outplayed, and have them get a medal by winning a skills competition, is a joke. Congrats to USA though.
quit your crying.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Excellent back handed compliment. Well done.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Congrats on winning a medal this year, Canada. Oh wait...

We played Finland twice this tournament and won both games. And there was little question we were the better team after 120 minutes of hockey, 60 of them were played on Finnish soil.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:13 PM
hockeysmitten

Quote:
I guess you didn't see the whole game, then? US was ahead 2-0 for three quarters of the game. Finland didn't start playing until the last ten minutes of the game, but the US was outplayed and barely hanging on until the shootout! Yeah. It's not like they didn't deserve to win when they lead through the entire game. Only a canadian!

Old
05-19-2013, 02:31 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysmitten View Post
I guess you didn't see the whole game, then? US was ahead 2-0 for three quarters of the game. Finland didn't start playing until the last ten minutes of the game, but the US was outplayed and barely hanging on until the shootout! Yeah. It's not like they didn't deserve to win when they lead through the entire game. Only a canadian!
Finland was clearly on the drivers seat in the last two periods.
You were out shot 27-14 in 2nd&3rd but it doesn't matter if our guys can't bury the changes.
Gibson played a great game and you deserved it.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:50 PM
ClasslessGuy

where was the crowd?

Old
05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
where was the crowd?
It was played in Sweden, not Finland.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
Congrats on winning a medal this year, Canada. Oh wait...

We played Finland twice this tournament and won both games. And there was little question we were the better team after 120 minutes of hockey, 60 of them were played on Finnish soil.
Disregard the previous game. Canada beat Sweden in the Prelims, but lost to Sweden in the QF. To all the American posters, i said that i was rooting for Team USA to win the Gold after Canada got eliminated. However, did you watch the same game i did? When Finland woke up, they were clearly the better team from the Second Period until the OT, outshooting the US 27-14 like an another poster mentioned in the final two periods. The US was barely hanging on in the OT. I never said the US did

not deserve it. You guys deserved it, because at the end of the day, the score is all that matters. I was just talking about how a Gimmick like a Shootout should not determine a Medal in International Hockey, but the players should keep on playing, just like in the NHL playoffs. Gibson is stud, and the US goaltending is one of the reasons i am predicting that they are one of the favourites for Gold in Sochi. Enjoy your Bronze. 9 years is way too long to not medal in this tournament.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

For a team that wasn't supposed to do jack **** these guys are heroes. What a great tournament! The future looks very bright with the likes of Gally, Gibson, and Trouba as well. Also glad to see Stastny with such a good showing.

Old
05-19-2013, 05:32 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
USA was fun to watch.

Old
05-19-2013, 10:29 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
For a team that wasn't supposed to do jack **** these guys are heroes. What a great tournament! The future looks very bright with the likes of Gally, Gibson, and Trouba as well. Also glad to see Stastny with such a good showing.
It was still a team full of NHL players. I think it was supposed to handle teams full of nobodies like Finland...

I was sure that Finland would pull it off, they were so good for the last three periods. Nevertheless, scores do count, not real or perceived dominance on ice. Therefore, congrats for the bronze!

Old
05-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Tomas W

Good job USA, sending home those finns empty handed.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:07 AM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Good job USA, sending home those finns empty handed.
This is much harder then it sounds The Fins are great at collecting medals! For their countries size, very impressive.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:37 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisonfire View Post
This is much harder then it sounds The Fins are great at collecting medals! For their countries size, very impressive.
Can't say that I am disappointed in the 4th place. I did not expect our team to advance past quarters so they did pretty ok considering the player material. They also played much better than I thought, even in the games that they lost. Every game was within reach.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:26 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisonfire View Post
They won gold two years ago, that enough for them for a while if you ask me. But credit to thier fighting spirit, always gives all for thier country.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:50 AM
roto

Quote:
In a team sports such as hockey, it sucks that a game has to be determined by an individual Skills contest such as a shootout. I am not saying have no shootouts at all. However, when deciding a winner, let the players keep on playing until a goal is scored.
In regular season games there could still be the shootout, but you wouldn't get any points from it. Amount of SO wins would just be the next tie-breaker after the amount of wins (ROW). In practice both teams would get one point from a game decided by shootout.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:57 AM
CDeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Agreed. I enjoyed this tournament and loved the way this team came together. The Moss-Stasnty-Smith line was the best US line in years. Gibson is a stud. I will miss this team and this year's WC.

The Finns did outplay the US for most of the game and the shootout is a gimmecky method of settling the outcome, but after last year's heartbreak at the hands of Finland, I figure we were overdue. Regardless, Finland-US is an emerging rivalry at these games. We'll probably meet again next year. Or at the Olympics.

Closed Thread