HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Yotes D Matthew Spiller waived

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2006, 07:34 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
OT: Yotes D Matthew Spiller waived

well here is one player the Rangers should claim. Only 23 years old, 6'5 233
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...me=nhl-coyotes If he is still available when the Rangers pick, we must claim him. We can use a big physical dman who can clear the crease. Id waive Hossa and dump ozo to make it happen.

Old
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Taz

He seems like a slug, there is a reason these guys get waived that type of player is pretty much not going to break into the league anymore, u have to be able to skate.

Also do you have to propose waiving/Trading Hossa in every post?

Old
10-01-2006, 07:41 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
He seems like a slug, there is a reason these guys get waived that type of player is pretty much not going to break into the league anymore, u have to be able to skate.

well yea cause dawes should make the team and is ready. So Hossa seems the odd man out.

Old
10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:

I have to agree with JOrts, Hossa is garbage, and shouldn't be on this team. I'd rather have a defenseman with size, a minimal contract, and a willingness to clear the net and pay attention to defense. Rachunek has been crap, so much for him coming over and helping us out.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:01 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
There are already enough defensemen who can play on this team. If Spiller projects as a 5/6 defenseman, what's the point? He doesn't address a need.

10-01-2006, 08:05 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
There are already enough defensemen who can play on this team. If Spiller projects as a 5/6 defenseman, what's the point? He doesn't address a need.
name one dman that has size and plays a physical game and can clear the crease and stop people from running Lundqvist. Malik is just big, Rozsival, nope, Tyutin has size but is young and not a very physical dman. A Ward has size and is physical and Kasper is not big but plays physical and is not 100% yet. Spiller would help in that department. And he is only 23 so its not like he is a seasoned vet. Rachunek we should deal for a mid pick or prospect.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
name one dman that has size and plays a physical game and can clear the crease and stop people from running Lundqvist.
Spiller just got waived from the Coyotes. Doesn't sound like he can do it either. The player that you descibe doesn't get waived.

But to answer your question, that seems to be why Ward is here.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Spiller just got waived from the Coyotes. Doesn't sound like he can do it either. They player that you descibe doesn't get waived.

we cant rely on one dman to do that, we need at least 2 that can do that.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
we cant rely on one dman to do that, we need at least 2 that can do that.
There is a reason why players are waived.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:13 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
There is a reason why players are waived.
then why is Hossa not waived yet???? he should be

Old
10-01-2006, 08:13 PM
eco's bones

So then I suppose we should send Baranka to Hartford? Or should we carry 9 defensemen? Well Baranka is probably going to Hartford anyway so instead we'll have someone else's garbage playing with us while Baranka who is almost certainly the better player is in the minors. And for what? So we can have another goon--or a penalty taking machine on our D? Just because a guy is big and tough does not make him a good player. It's not that I care much about Hossa but we don't need to pick up a Spiller in order to get rid of him.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:14 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

Quote:
Spiller just got waived from the Coyotes. Doesn't sound like he can do it either. The player that you descibe doesn't get waived.

I don't know much about the Rangers but the only reason Spiller didn't make the team here (Phoenix) is because of our depth. We already have too many defensmen.

Personally, I hope he clears waivers because I would like to keep him but I doubt he does.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:28 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuck View Post
I don't know much about the Rangers but the only reason Spiller didn't make the team here (Phoenix) is because of our depth. We already have too many defensmen.

Personally, I hope he clears waivers because I would like to keep him but I doubt he does.
id love spiller on the rangers cause one he is only 23 and u cant teach size, but he can improve his skating.

Old
10-01-2006, 08:59 PM
IanB

This isnt basketball. Sheer size isn't going to earn you a position in the NHL. Hossa isn't getting waived - Renney still loves the guy, and thats why he was given a roster spot so early. If he gets off to another good start, we could at least trade him before he fades away, and then Dawes can step in.

You're so quick to defend Dawes over Hossa, AHall, but Dawes will be the smallest player on the team, playing on the third.

Old
10-01-2006, 09:03 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
then why is Hossa not waived yet???? he should be
the only reason i think that hossa is still on the team is b/c Renney is convinced that the guy can play on the PK. thats my opinion

Old
10-01-2006, 09:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe426 View Post
This isnt basketball. Sheer size isn't going to earn you a position in the NHL. Hossa isn't getting waived - Renney still loves the guy, and thats why he was given a roster spot so early. If he gets off to another good start, we could at least trade him before he fades away, and then Dawes can step in.

You're so quick to defend Dawes over Hossa, AHall, but Dawes will be the smallest player on the team, playing on the third.
so ud rather have a defenseman who are all small. Jeff Beuekboom was not a great skater and did not put up alot of pts in the NHL but was still effective. I know the NHL is different now but u still need a big dman who can play physical and can skate. I dont know if Spiller's skating is the problem, but u can always learn to be faster, Jason Ward did it, and so far Orr looks a bit faster than last year. Id rather have at least 2 mean big physical dman on this team. I know in the past we had size in Purinton and Hatcher and Poti, but Poti was too soft for his size, Purinton was just a dumb hockey player and Hatcher stunk. Whats the poing of having size if u aint gonna use it. Dawes may be small but a very good skater. Gionta, St.Louis, Prucha, Straka and others aint big but very quick. Hossa is big and not physical and not quick, although he protects the puck down low pretty well. I just wish he would shoot more instead of passing. Dawes has shown more than Hossa in this preseason. Hall has done the same. So far we won the Moore for Hall trade. Greg Moore has shown something as well but needs at least a half of season in hartford.

Old
10-01-2006, 09:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Jeff Beuekboom was not a great skater and did not put up alot of pts in the NHL but was still effective.
Beukeboom was actually a pretty good skater for his size. That was a large reason that Beuk was such an underrated player.

Old
10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
I have to agree with JOrts, Hossa is garbage, and shouldn't be on this team. I'd rather have a defenseman with size, a minimal contract, and a willingness to clear the net and pay attention to defense. Rachunek has been crap, so much for him coming over and helping us out.
I'm not ready to give up on Hossa just yet; he looked pretty good during the playoffs last year. I also agree that it's getting tougher to earn a living as a big, slower than average defenseman in the NHL.

Old
10-02-2006, 12:06 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
People, people, please. Hossa is not going anywhere anytime soon. Renney most definately has a thing for him and he is going to be here. It's rediculous to include Hossa in any kind of deal/droppage at this time.

As for Spiller?? I dont know, I think I'm with SBOB for this one. Doesn't fill an urgent need. We have a capable defense right now. I just don't see us making this deal.

Old
10-02-2006, 02:31 AM
in the hall

Quote:

you have an amazing amount of patience..

Old
10-02-2006, 03:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Spiller is a good skater for his size. I think he will be an NHL regular for most of his career. Phoenix's blueline is just too deep. Keith Yandle has blown everyone away, and Spiller isn't about to take Jovonovski's, Michalek's, Morris', Ballard's or Boynton's job away. Three of those guys are former All-Stars still in their prime, and the other two are future All-Stars. Spiller is not. Yandle could be.

Old
10-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Taz

I understand why they have kept Hossa, i know he is not popular on this prospect board due to the fact he is seen as blocking people and the fact he has the tools but no finish....

But he is mainly going to be on the 4th line or scratched and can even play higher lines for a few games incase of injuries he can be slotted into the line up at anytime and we do NOT have to worry about his development while he does this. Hossa can kill penalties and his great at using his body to shield the puck and i have seen him be physical... we don't need to dump 25(?) year old players who can provide these things because of he didnt meet his potential. In any case i also think Hossa will be gone by the end of the year because the prospects WILL be ready.

My prediction for Hossa...

45-55 Games 8 goals 8Assists

Old
10-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Ola

Quote:
Beukeboom was actually a pretty good skater for his size. That was a large reason that Beuk was such an underrated player.
Agreed. In retrospective seeing old games from 94' I am always amazed at how good Beuke where, OK he where allowed to play r.ap.e hockey, but nobody ever got passed him.

We had a very decent nasty 6'5 D in Martin Grenier, and he never came close. Even 6'5 "stars" like Hatcher have problems today.

Old
10-02-2006, 06:12 AM
Pogo

Quote:
I understand why they have kept Hossa, i know he is not popular on this prospect board due to the fact he is seen as blocking people and the fact he has the tools but no finish....

But he is mainly going to be on the 4th line or scratched and can even play higher lines for a few games incase of injuries he can be slotted into the line up at anytime and we do NOT have to worry about his development while he does this. Hossa can kill penalties and his great at using his body to shield the puck and i have seen him be physical... we don't need to dump 25(?) year old players who can provide these things because of he didnt meet his potential. In any case i also think Hossa will be gone by the end of the year because the prospects WILL be ready.

My prediction for Hossa...

45-55 Games 8 goals 8Assists
I agree with the part about him killing penalties. Since I live in Israel and was in the army, I haven't gotten around to seeing many Ranger games last year, but the little I saw I actually liked what I saw from Hossa. He's going to be a very good PKer and he is going to actually earn his spot on the team this year, mark my words. He's a tough S.O.B and he will have value as a player. If he can add any goals or points, we should treat them as a bonus.

Old
10-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
well here is one player the Rangers should claim. Only 23 years old, 6'5 233
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...me=nhl-coyotes If he is still available when the Rangers pick, we must claim him. We can use a big physical dman who can clear the crease. Id waive Hossa and dump ozo to make it happen.

Unreal how bad this idea is. THINK. THINK of why this guy with size
was just waived, they got nothing for him, what does that telll you?

SIZE doesn not equal toughness or physical play if the guy can't figure out how to apply it to the NHL game.

There should be a limit of how many "OT:'Proposal'" posters are allowed, Jorts met his for the decade.

Closed Thread