HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Memorial Cup 2013 Thread! (Portland vs Halifax on Sportsnet tonight - 7pm)

Old
05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Makarov has been the tournaments best goalie..whodathunkit?

05-19-2013, 11:10 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Still can't believe teams passed on Makarov 2 years in a row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Makarov has been the tournaments best goalie..whodathunkit?
I mentioned in the Robert Mayer thread that I still can't believe the Habs didn't sign Makarov. It's not like we have anything past Price.

My gut instincts tell me Makarov is going to be an excellent goalie. I've watched about 20 games from him in last two years and I have yet to see him play a bad game. Not always great but at the very least solid each time. I think the Habs dropped the ball on that player.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:12 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Lewis took two dumb penalities. The kneeing on Nicholls was pretty blatant, he's lucky it ended up 4 on 4. The other one wasn't as blatant but a penality nonetheless.
If anything you see him tuck his knee back into his body, not extend it and the 2nd penalty, buddy touched the puck, so he's fair game for the hit.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:23 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I wonder if everyone is still counting the Blades out of this.

They played very well against the Knights.
They beat the Moose.

Bring on Portland.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If anything you see him tuck his knee back into his body, not extend it and the 2nd penalty, buddy touched the puck, so he's fair game for the hit.
Still a trip...2 minutes.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:43 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Lewis took two dumb penalities. The kneeing on Nicholls was pretty blatant, he's lucky it ended up 4 on 4. The other one wasn't as blatant but a penality nonetheless.
Pretty much. kneeing is something the refs shouldn't be soft on. That **** can end careers. Lewis is lucky he didn't get more.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:49 PM
ccgg

Duncan Siemens is so overrated on the prospect boards. I mean, he has constant brainfarts and if he makes 2 good plays, he is an elite defensive defenceman. He was good tonight but he is so inconsistent. With his physicality, he will maybe become a #4, at best. He has an average potential because he has a low IQ. He is not even the best defensive prospect on the Saskatoon roster. Dietz does everything, every powerplays, every penalty-killings, top-pairing on 5vs5... he plays around 35 minutes per game, but he is just "ok" according to the prospect board. If he would have been drafted 11 overall, everyone would overrate him and say he has top-pairing potential.

But I still prefer Morgan Ellis over Darren Dietz. Dietz is very good in both ends, but Ellis is just so smart. I think he can become a great second pairing defensive defenceman. IMO he is a better prospect than Siemens and Dietz.

Oh... I feel better now haha !

ccgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Buffalo only signed Makarov because another team already had a contract for him.

Who was that other team ? I don't know, but you would think drafting Dietz and then Thrower the habs organization would have seen a lot of him and they needed a goalie prospect...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:06 AM
crakced

I was at the game tonight. Good game by Dietz and Thrower. Thrower's best game that I have seen since last year. FYI - the reason those guys seem like they are on the ice all the time is that the Blades are going with 5 dmen and only 3 lines for the most part in the first 2 games. Best Blades game I've been too in probably 10 years or so.

Halifax did play the night before, but to be honest I thought the Blades used their size and their physicality to disrupt the Halifx attack. Lots of big hits on the top Moose players. Ferland hits like a truck, too bad his isn't a bit quicker as he is a monster otherwise.

This tournament just got interesting. We will see what happens between Portland and London tmo. If Portland wins, every team would be 1-1

crakced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:12 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Duncan Siemens is so overrated on the prospect boards. I mean, he has constant brainfarts and if he makes 2 good plays, he is an elite defensive defenceman. He was good tonight but he is so inconsistent. With his physicality, he will maybe become a #4, at best. He has an average potential because he has a low IQ. He is not even the best defensive prospect on the Saskatoon roster. Dietz does everything, every powerplays, every penalty-killings, top-pairing on 5vs5... he plays around 35 minutes per game, but he is just "ok" according to the prospect board. If he would have been drafted 11 overall, everyone would overrate him and say he has top-pairing potential.

But I still prefer Morgan Ellis over Darren Dietz. Dietz is very good in both ends, but Ellis is just so smart. I think he can become a great second pairing defensive defenceman. IMO he is a better prospect than Siemens and Dietz.

I don't know about Dietz (although I like him a lot) but I agree that Siemens has yet to show anything to justify being selected that high. Every time I watch him he makes at least one boneheaded decision.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Locks

Quote:

I can't believe Dietz was drafted in the fifth round - another steal by Timmins! As for Ellis vs Dietz, I actually prefer Dietz. His advantage in puck skills, offensive instincts, shot, skating and physical play are hard to overlook. Ellis is like a bigger version of Geoges with a better shot. I think he will need less time than Ellis to make it to the show due to those attributes.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:24 AM
Tyson

No way I would rate Morgan Ellis over Dietz. DD is going to prove a steal in the 5th. Round. He is the number one D on a team with a seasoned first rounder.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
I can't believe Dietz was drafted in the fifth round - another steal by Timmins! As for Ellis vs Dietz, I actually prefer Dietz. His advantage in puck skills, offensive instincts, shot, skating and physical play are hard to overlook. Ellis is like a bigger version of Geoges with a better shot. I think he will need less time than Ellis to make it to the show due to those attributes.
Shouldn't we wait a few years before declaring anyone a steal?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:29 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't know about Dietz (although I like him a lot) but I agree that Siemens has yet to show anything to justify being selected that high. Every time I watch him he makes at least one boneheaded decision.
I was a bit emotional, I don't think that Darren Dietz is a future star. But I think he can be a bigger and meaner Raphael Diaz. Good second wave powerplay d-man, second unit on the PK, #4/5 d-man, blocks shots and passing lanes, good passer, good shooter, good at everything, but no elite skill (maybe fitness). He is a very intriguing prospect for sure.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I kept saying for quite some time now that Dietz was a monster. Do people remember all that panic over his minuses at the start of the season? Good times...But let's be careful in our analysis based on this tournament and even the past season. 'Cause if not....we'd be stated that Dietz is a future top 4 but that Thrower is alraedy a bust....which we won't do. Something is sure though....Thrower, next year, will need to get back to what he looked like in his draft year. If not...the kid will not be signed when due.

And another thing....I was high on him in his draft year, though I don't think he'll ever amount to anything but a bottom 6....but we need players like Ferland to fill that bottom 6.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:38 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
You have a very fair argument. We'll see. But I'm a fan of Ellis. I like a lot how much he is smart. I must admit that I didn't watch many Hamilton games this season, probably 7-8. But with Cape Breton, he had an elite IQ. I was very impressed about how smart he was. Always the good decision, always at the right place. But Ellis must have quicker feet, imo.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:39 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
With Tinordi 6.6, Dietz 6.1, Thrower 6.1, Beaulieu 6.2, Subban 6.0 and Emelin 6.2 soon to our D unit we will have the goods needed to shut down all the leagues best forwards, of course with such a young lineup we will need to be patient before the results are in.

Yeah I don't make mention of Gorges simply because he's shown that his game is on a downfall at 28 years old. Unless he comes back to his former self next season, I think MB will be considering other options than keeping him on the lineup before there is no other way to deal with him than to buy him out.
Thrower's smaller than that, he must be around 5'11.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:42 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I kept saying for quite some time now that Dietz was a monster. Do people remember all that panic over his minuses at the start of the season? Good times...But let's be careful in our analysis based on this tournament and even the past season. 'Cause if not....we'd be stated that Dietz is a future top 4 but that Thrower is alraedy a bust....which we won't do. Something is sure though....Thrower, next year, will need to get back to what he looked like in his draft year. If not...the kid will not be signed when due.

And another thing....I was high on him in his draft year, though I don't think he'll ever amount to anything but a bottom 6....but we need players like Ferland to fill that bottom 6.
Do you think Thrower will be back with Saskatoon next season ?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Don't forget Thrower is a late birthday, he doesn't have much more to learn from the Junior stages as he already has 4 years under his belt. They should turn him pro, whether they bring him to the AHL or the East Coast. He has nothing left to do back in Junior.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:08 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
It's simply a case of buying high for size and physicality. His draft year stats were inflated by playing on a very offensive team, and because he was paired with Stefan Elliott.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

If Thrower switched to being a forward, say a RW, I'd be a lot more optimistic about his future with the Habs. He has enough talent to keep him around for a few more years, there's no reason to think he won't do well enough in the AHL.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:11 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If Thrower switched to being a forward, say a RW, I'd be a lot more optimistic about his future with the Habs. He has enough talent to keep him around for a few more years, there's no reason to think he won't do well enough in the AHL.
Same thing was said about Subban.

I really liked Thrower's game tonight. He makes quick decisions and is mobile. Really looks like Bieksa out there.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 05:39 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

So if Thrower could consistently play how he did last nightk, where would you guys rank him on our D prospect depth chart?

Just like to add, that I've been picking you guys' brains a lot lately and would like to thank you all for your well thought out answers. Love hearing about prospects!

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:54 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Do you think Thrower will be back with Saskatoon next season ?
I hope he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Don't forget Thrower is a late birthday, he doesn't have much more to learn from the Junior stages as he already has 4 years under his belt. They should turn him pro, whether they bring him to the AHL or the East Coast. He has nothing left to do back in Junior.
He has nothing left? The guy just regressed this year like there's no tomorrow. He has everything left as he has to improve, has to bring his energy level up, has to be the go-to-guy on his team next year.

Having said that, he could still do all those guys in higher leagues, but for me...it would be ECHL. There's no room anyway in the AHL.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
So if Thrower could consistently play how he did last nightk, where would you guys rank him on our D prospect depth chart?

Just like to add, that I've been picking you guys' brains a lot lately and would like to thank you all for your well thought out answers. Love hearing about prospects!
For me, right now, he's behind:

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren, Dietz, Ellis, Pateryn, Bennett

He only surpasses Didier and Sullivan in my books. But things can change fast. He has all the tools to move up. The gap between our guys is not too big though. It is feasable, let say, to move up immediately after Beaulieu for anybody. I mean I don't have Didier on the list and in the end, it is possible that aside from Tinordi, Didier becomes our best pure defensive d-man.