HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2013, 11:28 PM
  #926
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
Pens in 5
Can anyone just give credit to the winning team???? Sheesh!

MattMartin is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:29 PM
  #927
Senscore
The Superior B-Side
 
Senscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
And Ottawa wasn't fanning on open shots or missng pucks sitting there? I mean Neil was probably lucky he was so wide open when he had an empty net to shoot at and put it in Vokoun's pads.
Then he missed the wide open net again.

Senscore is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:29 PM
  #928
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,974
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
One disgreement-they loaded up to put pressure on the Sens but made a mistake in the defensive zone. So i think they didn't want to lay up-they just messed up, in embarrassing fashion
They loaded up on their guys who should put the pressure on...but they played a prevent defense.

Considering the Penguins spent the first 18 1/2 minutes of that period trying to sit on that lead, there was no reason for them not to put the penalty killing unit (plus one other...go Dupuis-Adams-Cooke-Orpik-Letang), especially if they were going to put the PP unit on and then tell them not to play like it's a damn PP. That was the most awkward looking PP I've seen in a long time and the result was less-than-surprising. I love the guy, but Evgeni Malkin is the last guy I ever want on the ice in a situation where the opponent's goalie is pulled with a fewer than 2 goal differential...even if it's not his defense screwing up you know he's going to try to score from beyond the red line and inevitably miss setting up a faceoff next to the goalie...Geno is instinctively good defensively, but he's a systemic disaster.


FWIW my player of the game outside of the goalies would be Marc Methot. Crosby didn't look so hot tonight and it's largely because Methot was shadowing him perfectly. The chances Sid did get were low percentage and that's because Methot controlled the lanes when he was out there. Phenomenal game from Methot.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
  #929
sens613
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
That may have been the worst reffed game i have ever seen. Hard to see any pens fan not believing what 29 other teams have been telling them since Crosby became the face of the NHL. The holding by the D every time Ottawa forwards come into the zone makes it look like 1994 devils hockey. Unbearable. Watching Crosby Letang and Malkin is a treat , lot of skill , but this bush league stuff is why the NHL is a laughing stock compared to the other 3 major sports. I do not want even up calls or any of that but I hope from here on out they even up the playing field , ratings be damned cause there was a lot fo slow boring hockey being allowed to help out a weak defensive team.

sens613 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:32 PM
  #930
nTsplnk*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
My plus/minus from both teams:

Sens +:

1) Anderson-man what an effort that was. Could've easily been 6-0.
2.) Greening, for obvious reasons
3.) Alfie, for obvious reasons

Minus:

1.) Karlsson. Still hasn't impressed me and is still not good on defense since being injured.
2.) Spezza. Felt he didn't make a big impact
3.) Michalek. Just seems invisible to me

Pens +:

1.) Vokoun, could've easily been 6-0
2.) Malkin. Thought he was dominant in all 200 ft. Tough luck on the last goal.
3.) Orpik.

-

1.) Powerplay was brutal, cost us the game
2.) Crosby, Kunitz were flat out bad, imo.
3.) Neal and Iginla need to give geno more help

nTsplnk* is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:35 PM
  #931
nTsplnk*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
They loaded up on their guys who should put the pressure on...but they played a prevent defense.

Considering the Penguins spent the first 18 1/2 minutes of that period trying to sit on that lead, there was no reason for them not to put the penalty killing unit (plus one other...go Dupuis-Adams-Cooke-Orpik-Letang), especially if they were going to put the PP unit on and then tell them not to play like it's a damn PP. That was the most awkward looking PP I've seen in a long time and the result was less-than-surprising. I love the guy, but Evgeni Malkin is the last guy I ever want on the ice in a situation where the opponent's goalie is pulled with a fewer than 2 goal differential...even if it's not his defense screwing up you know he's going to try to score from beyond the red line and inevitably miss setting up a faceoff next to the goalie...Geno is instinctively good defensively, but he's a systemic disaster.


FWIW my player of the game outside of the goalies would be Marc Methot. Crosby didn't look so hot tonight and it's largely because Methot was shadowing him perfectly. The chances Sid did get were low percentage and that's because Methot controlled the lanes when he was out there. Phenomenal game from Methot.
Gonna go ahead and disagree with you here. Your points are strong arguments, but I just look at it differently.

I genuinely thought Geno was our best defensive forward in the top 6 tonight. I was watching him on the backcheck and he was making a ton of defensive plays. Have no issue with Bylsma rewarding him. He wanted it tonight.

I don't think it was all coaching saying they should back off. They're smart hockey players, they backed off because they wanted to. The defenseman made a mistake and they tied it

nTsplnk* is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:37 PM
  #932
Milan the God*
king karlsson
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,806
vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
I completely disagree. Karlsson was awful in game 2. I mean, just awful. He almost gave up a goal right away in this one. Letang has been better than Karlsson.

Malkin doesn't put in effort the other way is another reputation thing. He was amazing defensively tonight. He stopped 7-8 scoring chances and forced turnovers all night.

Crosby was pretty bad tonight, agreed there.
Disagreed.

Letang was the reason the puck went in to tie the game. No clue what he was doing there. He was downright awful defensively. Also avoided contact quite a few times.

Malkin was lazy as hell tonight in his own zone. Maybe it's good for his standards, but wow.

Milan the God* is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:38 PM
  #933
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
My plus/minus from both teams:

Sens +:

1) Anderson-man what an effort that was. Could've easily been 6-0.
2.) Greening, for obvious reasons
3.) Alfie, for obvious reasons

Minus:

1.) Karlsson. Still hasn't impressed me and is still not good on defense since being injured.
2.) Spezza. Felt he didn't make a big impact
3.) Michalek. Just seems invisible to me

Pens +:

1.) Vokoun, could've easily been 6-0
2.) Malkin. Thought he was dominant in all 200 ft. Tough luck on the last goal.
3.) Orpik.

-

1.) Powerplay was brutal, cost us the game
2.) Crosby, Kunitz were flat out bad, imo.
3.) Neal and Iginla need to give geno more help
First game in months, I wouldn't expect him to be at 100% mode just yet.

MattMartin is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:40 PM
  #934
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Disagreed.

Letang was the reason the puck went in to tie the game. No clue what he was doing there. He was downright awful defensively. Also avoided contact quite a few times.

Malkin was lazy as hell tonight in his own zone. Maybe it's good for his standards, but wow.
Missed picking up Alfie for the tying goal. Also if you watch the replay Anderson was just on the bench and the Ottawa player was just getting into the zone when they scored so it was still basically a true shorthanded goal. Don't know how you can let that happen with 30 seconds left in the game.

MattMartin is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:41 PM
  #935
Quo
Moderator
I, too, don't get it
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 500
I don't vote on these series length things.

Just saying that from what I saw, the Sens proved they could hang with Pittsburgh. It came in flashes in the other two games but they had some consistency tonight and that made the difference.

I saw the Sens repeatedly break up the Pens offense when 5v5. Of course the Pens had their own chances. That's going to happen.

I saw them kill penalty after penalty.

I saw them frustrate Crosby.

I saw them press in the offensive zone a number of times, generating their own fair share of chances. If all the shots they missed tonight were actually on net...if Neil can raise a puck...a lot of ifs but the point is they showed up, they threatened.

Yes, they were sloppy at times in their own end and flubbed some passes. That has to change.

Quo is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:42 PM
  #936
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
That isn't what I said. I simply said let's, as fans of both teams, be realistic and discuss the actual series. We both have our biases. I was simply trying to be civil
All good man all good.

BK201 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:43 PM
  #937
The Latvian
#rooster #classless
 
The Latvian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
My plus/minus from both teams:

Sens +:

1) Anderson-man what an effort that was. Could've easily been 6-0.
2.) Greening, for obvious reasons
3.) Alfie, for obvious reasons

Minus:

1.) Karlsson. Still hasn't impressed me and is still not good on defense since being injured.
2.) Spezza. Felt he didn't make a big impact
3.) Michalek. Just seems invisible to me

Pens +:

1.) Vokoun, could've easily been 6-0
2.) Malkin. Thought he was dominant in all 200 ft. Tough luck on the last goal.
3.) Orpik.

-

1.) Powerplay was brutal, cost us the game
2.) Crosby, Kunitz were flat out bad, imo.
3.) Neal and Iginla need to give geno more help
Karlsson was excellent. And was much more engaged defensively. Not sure what you are seeing or expecting. He didn't and excellent job against Crosby, as did Methot.

The Latvian is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:44 PM
  #938
SelleckStache
Registered User
 
SelleckStache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,723
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
First game in months, I wouldn't expect him to be at 100% mode just yet.
Hey, he still won 60% of his draws

SelleckStache is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:51 PM
  #939
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,974
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Missed picking up Alfie for the tying goal. Also if you watch the replay Anderson was just on the bench and the Ottawa player was just getting into the zone when they scored so it was still basically a true shorthanded goal. Don't know how you can let that happen with 30 seconds left in the game.
Malkin had a good game defensively until that play...which was as bad, but it wasn't entirely on him as Jeremy Roenick felt the need to say about 83 times...Martin pinched when he shouldn't have, which left Letang stuck between two things and he didn't decide on either, and Malkin just floated in there...the big issue was that Malkin had no business being on the ice at that time, but if Martin doesn't make that stupid decision then it's just a simple dump and chase sequence that kills time from the clock instead of leading to a timing play.

As I said earlier...Malkin had no business being on the ice at that point, though. Sid I can see, as can I see Kunitz, Letang, and Martin...they all kill penalties...but Geno is the last person that should be on the ice in that situation because he's prone to exactly the play that happened. He's great defensively when it comes to instinctive plays...if he's the last forward back on a 2-on-1 play I expect him to make the play...but if he's playing zone defense he's a goner. If Craig Adams, or even better yet, Matt Cooke, who is far from an offensive sieve and an absolute demon on the PK, is on the ice for that play probably doesn't happen.

The effect won't be anywhere near similar, but it felt a bit like having the defensively deficient Bill Buckner playing first because 'he earned it'...and then watching the ball go through his legs. Geno had a great game to that point, but common sense has to play into things, Dan. I'm not trying to take away from what Ottawa did, it's just frustrating to see things blown in such an easily avoidable way.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:51 PM
  #940
Euclid
Futbol Fan
 
Euclid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Minus:

1.) Karlsson. Still hasn't impressed me and is still not good on defense since being injured.
2.) Spezza. Felt he didn't make a big impact
3.) Michalek. Just seems invisible to me
If the Senators worst three players were three guys who returned from injury shortly before/during the playoffs, I'd say they're in damn good shape.

Euclid is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
  #941
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
i dont really understand the "anderson stole the game" comments. It was a goalie battle. If the pens had won, vokoun would've stolen the game just as much.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:54 PM
  #942
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!
 
dennilfloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,946
vCash: 500
Pesky Sens.

dennilfloss is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:56 PM
  #943
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,526
vCash: 500
Dan literally handed that game to the Sens.

Why put out your top PP (with Neal who was bad all night, Geno who was gassed, a center playing wing and two Dmen playing their offsides) to play prevent D?

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Orpik - Martin

3-0 Pens

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:56 PM
  #944
Mickey Mouse
Registered User
 
Mickey Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont really understand the "anderson stole the game" comments. It was a goalie battle. If the pens had won, vokoun would've stolen the game just as much.
Yes and since the Sens won it was Anderson who stole the game. Shots were 50-48 in a 2-1 game.

Mickey Mouse is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:57 PM
  #945
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont really understand the "anderson stole the game" comments. It was a goalie battle. If the pens had won, vokoun would've stolen the game just as much.
Neither do I. Weren't the shots against something like 46 to 49?

Some Pens fans are going on like the Sens were utterly dominated this game and it just isn't true.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
  #946
Big McLargehuge
Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 53,974
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
Yes and since the Sens won it was Anderson who stole the game. Shots were 50-48 in a 2-1 game.
Bingo.

98 shots on the board to only 3 goals...unless one of those goalies made 80 saves in a losing effort the winning goalie is going to get credit for stealing the game. If the Penguins win then everyone is placing laurels on Vokoun's head instead. Both goalies played well above what could be asked of them on a nightly basis.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
  #947
Senscore
The Superior B-Side
 
Senscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 4734
Stealing a game implies that the team that won didn't deserve the win based on general play.


I don't really think it's fair to use that term to describe this game.

Senscore is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
  #948
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,253
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

FWIW my player of the game outside of the goalies would be Marc Methot. Crosby didn't look so hot tonight and it's largely because Methot was shadowing him perfectly. The chances Sid did get were low percentage and that's because Methot controlled the lanes when he was out there. Phenomenal game from Methot.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Methot was fantastic. His play with the puck looked underwhelming, but he was really, really strong defensively.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:04 AM
  #949
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan
 
PoutineSp00nZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Methot was fantastic. His play with the puck looked underwhelming, but he was really, really strong defensively.
Methot has been an absolute stud for the Senators all year long. I questioned giving up FOligno for him when Murray made the trade but I'll gladly eat my hat over that.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:05 AM
  #950
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: uOttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,658
vCash: 2391
Pens played a great road game. Took away passing lanes, forced Ottawa to dump without any speed entering the zone, clogged the boards to prevent the cycle, slowed the pace down and got the crowd out of it for the better part of the third.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 05-20-2013 at 12:25 AM.
CanadianHockey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.