HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 12:07 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
Karlsson was excellent. And was much more engaged defensively. Not sure what you are seeing or expecting. He didn't and excellent job against Crosby, as did Methot.
Best game of the playoffs from him so far! I guess Paulrus knew what he was doing when he called him out in the media.

He still doesn't have the acceleration he did before the injury, and he is still guilty of trying to force some passes to compensate, but he didnt seem to be second guessing himself which is a major step in the right direction.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:07 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senscore View Post
Stealing a game implies that the team that won didn't deserve the win based on general play.

I don't really think it's fair to use that term to describe this game.
See, now we're getting into an issue of semantics. I don't think saying a goalie stole a game means the team in front of him didn't deserve to win at all...in some cases that's correct, ala Halak in 2010, but it's not all-encompassing. For me stealing a game is just playing above your head to win a game that either a.) shouldn't have been won by your team (your lone definition) or b.) playing well enough to win a close game. Vokoun was the losing goaltender and he had a .953 sv% tonight...Anderson had a .980...in my eyes both of those are good enough to 'steal' a game.

Mind you I'm a Penguins fan and my definition of what constitutes being a good goalie may be skewed...but any time your goalie makes 49 saves out of 50 I'd say he shouldered more than his load in earning a victory.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
05-20-2013, 12:08 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Nice job missing those Sens players getting high sticked ref.

Bloody Greening was epic.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

vCash: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
See, now we're getting into an issue of semantics. I don't think saying a goalie stole a game means the team in front of him didn't deserve to win at all...in some cases that's correct, ala Halak in 2010, but it's not all-encompassing. For me stealing a game is just playing above your head to win a game that either a.) shouldn't have been won by your team (your lone definition) or b.) playing well enough to win a close game. Vokoun was the losing goaltender and he had a .953 sv% tonight...Anderson had a .980...in my eyes both of those are good enough to 'steal' a game.

Mind you I'm a Penguins fan and my definition of what constitutes being a good goalie may be skewed...but any time your goalie makes 49 saves out of 50 I'd say he shouldered more than his load in earning a victory.

Well, agree to disagree then.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:10 AM
Sensin5

Quote:
Karlsson was excellent. And was much more engaged defensively. Not sure what you are seeing or expecting. He didn't and excellent job against Crosby, as did Methot.
[mod] As for his game, I saw him strip Crosby of the puck cleanly at least 5 or 6 times.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-20-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: no
Old
05-20-2013, 12:13 AM
playasRus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Neither do I. Weren't the shots against something like 46 to 49?

Some Pens fans are going on like the Sens were utterly dominated this game and it just isn't true.
Crosby stole game 2. Take away Crosby game 2 and Sens would've won that game.

See what I did there?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
First game in months, I wouldn't expect him to be at 100% mode just yet.
For me, why I think Spezza made a difference, is it took off a bit of the pressure off of the other lines. It made people focus on him, and gave other lines space and easier competition. So maybe it wasn't that he made a direct obvious help, he didn't play awful (IMO) and he helped take some pressure off the team, by taking on some of the pressure.

Quote:
And I agree Karlsson was WAY better this game. First he broke up Crosby a tonne. I did only watch the last 2 regulation periods and OT, but Karlsson backchecked Crosby numerous times, he made one bad play, and obviously is still slower. But I thought he was way way way better than the last two games. He does need to hit the net, and get his shot through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Methot was fantastic. His play with the puck looked underwhelming, but he was really, really strong defensively.
And Methot is one of the Sens best D men. He's just a force, consistently. So so so happy with that trade.

Also, Pageau and Greening have been incredible this series. In the first two games, it looked like those two were the only ones that tried. And tonight, they looked like a force again. I was super impressed with Pageau, when he took a big hit, then got right back up and made some offensive play. Kids got heart. Also, love seeing Greening with blood running down his face, scoring the OT winning off a highstick that went uncalled. Just a great pic!

Andy of course was great, but that's nothing new. And our D did a great job of clearing the few rebounds that were given up.

On the Pitts. side. I feel like Malkin can seem lazy. Crosby was shut down tonight. The Pens third and fourth line is what impressed me the most. And Vokoun was great. And I still do NOT understand why teams sit on a 1 goal lead. Its foolish! And yet again the Sens show why you don't sit on a small lead.

And I must say, that Alfie tying goal.... was epic. I just saw that and couldn't even believe it! I still kinda can't believe it. Basically a short handed goal with 30 sec. left. It warms my heart!

Old
05-20-2013, 12:23 AM
dahlenrules

I was also confused when I saw the Pens top PP on the ice for the last couple minutes. At first I figured they would have Crosby and Letang either way, and then I saw the rest of them.

You could tell they weren't really comfortable out there, and it made for a way too easy equalizer.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:32 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont really understand the "anderson stole the game" comments. It was a goalie battle. If the pens had won, vokoun would've stolen the game just as much.
Respectfully disagree.

For the most part, Vokoun was stopping long shots and bad angle chances. In other words, apart from 2 or 3 times, he saw nothing that should go in unless he makes a mistake, which he didn't.

Anderson was seeing cross-crease tap-ins, breakaways, one-timers from the slot, slapshots from between the circles, deflections from the top of the crease, spin-o-ramas from the paint, wrist shot tickets from the dots, etc. And he was seeing a lot of these types of chances, not a few. Generally speaking, goaltenders do not stop 20 or 30 some chances like that.

Stopping low-percentage chances means you've done your job well, which Vokoun definitely did.

Seeing the stuff Anderson was seeing and still stopping all that means you've stolen the game.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:36 AM
canadiansbronco

Euh feels like the hockey goods want the sens to win.....

Old
05-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Ray Shero*
A wizard

Penguins were the better team and had that rare game where they just couldn't execute/finish.

Anderson was great and the Sens were resilient and now we have a series.

On to the next one.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:47 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Respectfully disagree.

For the most part, Vokoun was stopping long shots and bad angle chances. In other words, apart from 2 or 3 times, he saw nothing that should go in unless he makes a mistake, which he didn't.

Anderson was seeing cross-crease tap-ins, breakaways, one-timers from the slot, slapshots from between the circles, deflections from the top of the crease, spin-o-ramas from the paint, wrist shot tickets from the dots, etc. And he was seeing a lot of these types of chances, not a few. Generally speaking, goaltenders do not stop 20 or 30 some chances like that.

Stopping low-percentage chances means you've done your job well, which Vokoun definitely did.

Seeing the stuff Anderson was seeing and still stopping all that means you've stolen the game.
it's a matter of opinion, and probably for one or both of us a bit of homerism. IMO watching the game, the sens scoring opportunities were not significantly worse than the pens tonight.

one thing i am starting to get worried about is the play of jared cowen. Too many times this series he simply loses the puck. It's inexplainable. I dont know if it's the pressure of playing in the playoffs, the lack of playing for a season catching up to him, or something else, but he's just off. Whatever is going on, he needs to get it fixed quickly, or he's going to get burned by one of the pens again.

05-20-2013, 12:49 AM
ayoshi

Was it just me or was there WAAAAAAAAAYY too much horn after the OT goal?

Sounds like the horn operator got a little too excited

Old
05-20-2013, 12:52 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:
Respectfully disagree.

Great, objective post.

To you, sir.

05-20-2013, 12:52 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Respectfully disagree.

I thought it was a pretty easy night for Anderson. They did have one breakaway on him. I cant recall any deflections at the top of the paint. Pittsburgh did a rather poor job getting traffic in front. You are not gonna beat Anderson very often on that first shot. Those cross crease tap in plays were defeated very well by the Senator players. Wrap arounds arent difficult. Anderson played very good but you maybe exgarrerating here. Maybe we have been spoiled here in Ottawa lately but thats my opinion on all these "chances" Pittsburgh had.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:53 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshi View Post
Was it just me or was there WAAAAAAAAAYY too much horn after the OT goal?

Sounds like the horn operator got a little too excited
i remember they did something like that after that greening last minute goal to beat the leafs a couple of months ago.

the goal horn operator seems to blow the "win" horn in relation to the type of win.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

vCash: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i remember they did something like that after that greening last minute goal to beat the leafs a couple of months ago.

the goal horn operator seems to blow the "win" horn in relation to the type of win.
Was getting late. Time to wake up and leave the building.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:58 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Wasn't enough goal horn in my opinion.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:02 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
I was also confused when I saw the Pens top PP on the ice for the last couple minutes. At first I figured they would have Crosby and Letang either way, and then I saw the rest of them.

You could tell they weren't really comfortable out there, and it made for a way too easy equalizer.
The decision to sit back and not attack, put pressure on the Sens or have any resemblance of aggression is what killed them. Playing passive hockey and simply letting the Senators possess the puck (ONE forechecker??? Really????) and carry it unmolested up the ice is what did them in. Second game in a row they did this on a power play.
Malkin doesn't get the blame here at all! Kunitz (the one forechecker) lets his man go...just happens to be Alfredsson, while Martin, Letang and Sutter are guilty of puck watching. No one covers the middle because they are all focused on the point.
It's easy to blame Geno here, but the truth is the problem on this play was the decision to not make any effort to keep possession of the puck (you know, the style of play which got them here) and instead give it up to Ottawa, and let them control the play DESPITE BEING A MAN SHORT!
Bylsma is getting out coached for the second straight series. A HUGE HUGE strategical error.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:10 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Horrible reffing is killing the series for me.

I understand it's much better for the League if the Pens go deep, but Jesus... Some of the calls and the non-calls are ridiculous.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Parise9Crosby87

0 for 6 on the powerplay doesnt help i think pens got robbed of this game even though i thought alot of the calls were soft
and i give alot credit to the sens d for shutting down sid

Old
05-20-2013, 01:15 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...,3,213&lang=en

I'll just link this. Scroll down to the "save" section. The difference in quality of what Anderson was facing vs what Vokoun was facing is very, very significant to my eyes. Long, unscreened wrist shots from the wall by Turris while he's all alone don't have anything on difficulty compared to what Anderson was stopping in pretty much all of these clips.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:24 AM
EngellandHitSomebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens613 View Post
That may have been the worst reffed game i have ever seen. Hard to see any pens fan not believing what 29 other teams have been telling them since Crosby became the face of the NHL. The holding by the D every time Ottawa forwards come into the zone makes it look like 1994 devils hockey. Unbearable. Watching Crosby Letang and Malkin is a treat , lot of skill , but this bush league stuff is why the NHL is a laughing stock compared to the other 3 major sports. I do not want even up calls or any of that but I hope from here on out they even up the playing field , ratings be damned cause there was a lot fo slow boring hockey being allowed to help out a weak defensive team.
If you think a league (who's product is dependent on people knowing the games aren't fixed) instructs (or allows) officials to favor one team over any other, you are somewhat nuts. If you believe they would do it for economic reasons and favor a team based in ******* Pittsburgh, I don't know what to tell you because you are clearly out to lunch. Regardless of having the "face of the nhl" on their team, it makes no sense for a league to fix games for a team in one of the smallest markets in the league. To say nothing of the fact that the Pens haven't gotten past the 2nd round since 2009, which makes it easily the worst executed conspiracy in history.

I won't deny that Cooke got away with that high-stick, or that the refs have missed some calls on the Pens, but I do know the stripes have missed their fair share on the Senators too. Nobody talks about that, though, because there is no greater past time on hfboards than crying conspiracy every time the Penguins have more pp's than their opposition. For instance, after game 1, how many posts were there complaining about the refs favoring the Sens when they had 5 pp's to Pittsburgh's 3? Including several missed calls as the refs officiated the score. None, zilch, zip. Please, I beg of those certain posters out there who only come out of the woodwork to ***** and moan about every call the Pens get, can we just drop this **** and talk about the hockey game? I'm sick and tired of 50% of gdt's being complaints about the officials.

Good game to the vast majority of Senators fans who don't constantly whine about officiating. Your team held Crosby in check and Anderson was a beast. See you guys for the game tuesday.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:27 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...,3,213&lang=en

I'll just link this. Scroll down to the "save" section. The difference in quality of what Anderson was facing vs what Vokoun was facing is very, very significant to my eyes. Long, unscreened wrist shots from the wall by Turris while he's all alone don't have anything on difficulty compared to what Anderson was stopping in pretty much all of these clips.
Funny enough I watched the saves before commenting on your post. Also it should be noted that not all saves are shown. Vokoun had a lot for traffic around his net and those clips do a pretty good job illustarting that. Both sides had their share of unscreend shots from the wall. The penguins did have more shots coming from the slot or in the faceoff circles but without any kind of traffic those are relatively easy saves for Anderson.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:29 AM
kbuzz

I almost had a heart attack when Alfie scored. After that, I felt it was ours to win. Surely teams would have learned by now that you can't go into the 3rd up by a goal to this team.

Keep those brooms in the closet kids, cause got ourselves a series.

Closed Thread