HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eastern Semifinal: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (7) Ottawa Senators PT II

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 01:31 AM
NewAgeOutlaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Horrible reffing is killing the series for me.

I understand it's much better for the League if the Pens go deep, but Jesus... Some of the calls and the non-calls are ridiculous.
No it isn't. Ottawa has over twice the population of Pittsburgh and is in the country where ice hockey was invented. Also, answer this, [mod]. If the refs are trying to help the Penguins win games, then why did Ottawa have a pp advantage in the first game, and why did the Senators have the last pp of this game in o.t.? Did you ever consider the possibility that the Senators have simply taken more penalties than the Penguins in the last 2 games?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-20-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: nope
Old
05-20-2013, 01:31 AM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngellandHitSomebody View Post
If you think a league (who's product is dependent on people knowing the games aren't fixed) instructs (or allows) officials to favor one team over any other, you are somewhat nuts. If you believe they would do it for economic reasons and favor a team based in ******* Pittsburgh, I don't know what to tell you because you are clearly out to lunch. Regardless of having the "face of the nhl" on their team, it makes no sense for a league to fix games for a team in one of the smallest markets in the league. To say nothing of the fact that the Pens haven't gotten past the 2nd round since 2009, which makes it easily the worst executed conspiracy in history.

I won't deny that Cooke got away with that high-stick, or that the refs have missed some calls on the Pens, but I do know the stripes have missed their fair share on the Senators too. Nobody talks about that, though, because there is no greater past time on hfboards than crying conspiracy every time the Penguins have more pp's than their opposition. For instance, after game 1, how many posts were there complaining about the refs favoring the Sens when they had 5 pp's to Pittsburgh's 3? Including several missed calls as the refs officiated the score. None, zilch, zip. Please, I beg of those certain posters out there who only come out of the woodwork to ***** and moan about every call the Pens get, can we just drop this **** and talk about the hockey game? I'm sick and tired of 50% of gdt's being complaints about the officials.

Good game to the vast majority of Senators fans who don't constantly whine about officiating. Your team held Crosby in check and Anderson was a beast. See you guys for the game tuesday.
I dont think its anything to do with the league fixing games. It's more about the players on your team. Vetran players and skilled players usually get the the calls go their way whether its drawing a penalty or a non-call. Ottawa is made up of more inexperienced players and have less skill than the penguins and a guy like Karlsson has never gotten the benefit of the doubt.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Elever
Hth

I agree that reffing was bad, outside of the notable mistakes, the Pens got away with lots of obstruction and picks but this is a dead puck era tbh.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:38 AM
NewAgeOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Latvian View Post
I dont think its anything to do with the league fixing games. It's more about the players on your team. Vetran players and skilled players usually get the the calls go their way whether its drawing a penalty or a non-call. Ottawa is made up of more inexperienced players and have less skill than the penguins and a guy like Karlsson has never gotten the benefit of the doubt.
Superstars get calls in every sport, as do veterans. For instance, the strike zone an established pitcher gets in a baseball game compared to his younger counterpart. Also, my post wasn't really addressed to reasonable people like you, it was addressed to the "Bettman loves the Pens" sort of conspiracy nuts. (it was funny hearing it last series especially because Bettman has said in interviews that he was an Islanders fan before he became commish)
R.E. bolded I think Karlsson doesn't get some calls(Cooke high stick) because I believe the refs feel he embellishes a bit too much. Refs don't like being shown up.

Last edited by NewAgeOutlaw: 05-20-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old
05-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
I think the conspiracies about the "league getting refs to make calls" against Ottawa are ridiculous.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Orr123

Quote:
If you think a league (who's product is dependent on people knowing the games aren't fixed) instructs (or allows) officials to favor one team over any other, you are somewhat nuts. If you believe they would do it for economic reasons and favor a team based in ******* Pittsburgh, I don't know what to tell you because you are clearly out to lunch. Regardless of having the "face of the nhl" on their team, it makes no sense for a league to fix games for a team in one of the smallest markets in the league. To say nothing of the fact that the Pens haven't gotten past the 2nd round since 2009, which makes it easily the worst executed conspiracy in history.

I won't deny that Cooke got away with that high-stick, or that the refs have missed some calls on the Pens, but I do know the stripes have missed their fair share on the Senators too. Nobody talks about that, though, because there is no greater past time on hfboards than crying conspiracy every time the Penguins have more pp's than their opposition. For instance, after game 1, how many posts were there complaining about the refs favoring the Sens when they had 5 pp's to Pittsburgh's 3? Including several missed calls as the refs officiated the score. None, zilch, zip. Please, I beg of those certain posters out there who only come out of the woodwork to ***** and moan about every call the Pens get, can we just drop this **** and talk about the hockey game? I'm sick and tired of 50% of gdt's being complaints about the officials.

Good game to the vast majority of Senators fans who don't constantly whine about officiating. Your team held Crosby in check and Anderson was a beast. See you guys for the game tuesday.
I do agree with that people shouldn't complain about reffing, but as a fan of a team, you will complain --- especially in the moment. If the games were switched, and the refs missed some VERY obvious calls, I wouldn't hear the end of it from the Pitts fans. It is what it is. I think for me, the small calls don't bug me. But when there are very blatant missed calls, that's the annoying side of things. These refs are professionals and should be doing the best job they can. When they miss highsticks to the face, and some causing blood... or spears to the abdomen in front of a ref. That's annoying.

BUT, as annoying as that is for a fan, I never wish my team to whine and complain about it. I just want them to work harder and kill the penalty off (It drove me a bit nuts Karlsson couldn't let the very obvious missed call go after the initial WTF??? moment). All in all tonight the Sens took their penalites, killed them off, and took advantage of when the Pens sat back. It wasn't pretty, but that seems to be how the Sens win this season.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:47 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
I think the conspiracies about the "league getting refs to make calls" against Ottawa are ridiculous.
They're ridiculous regardless of which team they center around.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Orr123

Quote:
No it isn't. Ottawa has over twice the population of Pittsburgh and is in the country where ice hockey was invented. Also, answer this, [mod]. If the refs are trying to help the Penguins win games, then why did Ottawa have a pp advantage in the first game, and why did the Senators have the last pp of this game in o.t.? Did you ever consider the possibility that the Senators have simply taken more penalties than the Penguins in the last 2 games?
Just a random side note:

Just because one team has MORE PP's than another, doesn't actually mean one team didn't get away with more.

You need to take a look at ALL infractions that COULD have been called, and compare that to what was called for both teams.

But at the end of the day, the teams need to realize that there are incredible inconsistencies in the League and just play through that.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:50 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
and why did the Senators have the last pp of this game in o.t.?
Lmao, since when is getting a PP AFTER the other team gets one first in overtime better? LOL.

[mod]

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 05-20-2013 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Nope
Old
05-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I agree that reffing was bad, outside of the notable mistakes, the Pens got away with lots of obstruction and picks but this is a dead puck era tbh.
Yeah, the picks and obstruction are common now, it's not limited to the Pens. They aren't even as blatant about it as other teams. There's probably a reason why DPE coaches are having more and more success recently.

05-20-2013, 01:51 AM
NewAgeOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
I do agree with that people shouldn't complain about reffing, but as a fan of a team, you will complain --- especially in the moment. If the games were switched, and the refs missed some VERY obvious calls, I wouldn't hear the end of it from the Pitts fans. It is what it is. I think for me, the small calls don't bug me. But when there are very blatant missed calls, that's the annoying side of things. These refs are professionals and should be doing the best job they can. When they miss highsticks to the face, and some causing blood... or spears to the abdomen in front of a ref. That's annoying.

BUT, as annoying as that is for a fan, I never wish my team to whine and complain about it. I just want them to work harder and kill the penalty off (It drove me a bit nuts Karlsson couldn't let the very obvious missed call go after the initial WTF??? moment). All in all tonight the Sens took their penalites, killed them off, and took advantage of when the Pens sat back. It wasn't pretty, but that seems to be how the Sens win this season.
I know things will be said in the heat of the moment. There are just a few people who can only be found in gdt's when the Pens get a call. I know I post stuff criticizing conspiracy theorists a lot, and that it might get a bit redundant. I just wish the discussion on this board was held to a higher standard. Again, this is a small minority of people, and most don't take them seriously. There was even one post in today's gdt that said Penguins fans shouldn't feel joy when their team wins because of the ref favoritism. It's bad when it gets to the point where people shame you for cheering for a team you grew up with and love from your home city. I realize I probably shouldn't let such posts bother me, but it's just a shame to not be able to just discuss the series with the vast majority of you Sens fans who are passionate and knowledgeable, the crazies always get in the way. (crazy fans of both teams.)

Old
05-20-2013, 01:53 AM
NewAgeOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lmao, since when is getting a PP AFTER the other team gets one first in overtime better? LOL.

[mod]
Just saying it doesn't exactly fit the theory that the refs were trying to hand the Pens the game.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Orr123

Quote:
I know things will be said in the heat of the moment. There are just a few people who can only be found in gdt's when the Pens get a call. I know I post stuff criticizing conspiracy theorists a lot, and that it might get a bit redundant. I just wish the discussion on this board was held to a higher standard. Again, this is a small minority of people, and most don't take them seriously. There was even one post in today's gdt that said Penguins fans shouldn't feel joy when their team wins because of the ref favoritism. It's bad when it gets to the point where people shame you for cheering for a team you grew up with and love from your home city. I realize I probably shouldn't let such posts bother me, but it's just a shame to not be able to just discuss the series with the vast majority of you Sens fans who are passionate and knowledgeable, the crazies always get in the way. (crazy fans of both teams.)
Those comments will happen though.

I agree with whatever someone said above, that I do think refs get preconceptions about players, and then may call certain things differently when it involves that player (ie. like Karlsson). But I don't think its a team thing/conspiracy theory, I think its more a "teach a lesson" to that player type thing. Which is why I would rather a player just suck it up, and take a hit to the face, and keep on driving to the net. If it gets called, sweet. If not, you don't look like you are whining and you don't slow down momentum, and let that missed call fuel your fire.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

I thought the Sens played well so I wouldn't say Anderson "Stole" the game. I would personally say he played exceptionally well and allowed a team that was playing well enough to win - win. He made some game breaking saves, and deserved the first star IMO.

Vokoun didnt really make any game breaking saves, but was what I would call "solid". He made the saves he had to and let in the ones that he didn't.

As for the PP in the pens favor - yeah.. a little bit, but it's not some stupid conspiracy. Reffs have off nights all the time and sometimes they are in our favor - but homerism masks that so we never notice unless it's bad.

I thought that was the first "intense" game of the series and honestly the first of the three that felt like a real playoff game for either team.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:00 AM
NewAgeOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
Just a random side note:

Just because one team has MORE PP's than another, doesn't actually mean one team didn't get away with more.

You need to take a look at ALL infractions that COULD have been called, and compare that to what was called for both teams.

But at the end of the day, the teams need to realize that there are incredible inconsistencies in the League and just play through that.
Agree completely, and both teams have gotten away with quite a bit as is to be expected in a playoff series. I also think both teams have been the victim of weak calls. All in all, I think the officiating has been o.k., not great.

I'm out, good game guys, you should be proud of your team. Hopefully game 4 will be as exciting of a game as this one was. Let's go Pens!

Old
05-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Close to the limit; I'm creating the new thread now.

Closed Thread