HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antero Niittymäki will be back on Tuesday.

Old
10-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wouldn't say that the first half of the season is a wash. If we didn't have that run through November, December and January, we don't make the playoffs. Sometimes getting that really good start in can be the difference. We're also the same team that had a 19 point lead on New Jersey only to watch it fall apart because of injuries and piss poor play from everyone on the team. The first half of the season can be really important, especially for such a streaky team like the Flyers.
ah... by describing last season you pretty much proved my point that the first half of the season is usually a wash. by the time it was all said and done the fact that we had a good start to the season and the Devils had a poor start to the season didn't matter a bit... it was a wash.

happens every year... Montreal got off to a fantastic start, then came back to earth. Boston was what, 19-4 a couple years ago and then missed the playoffs?

first 2-3 months of the season tell you almost nothing... teams gel and get going or not going in january/february.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 11:58 AM
tsquad

In the Flyers' case, it's not a wash. If we didn't do well in the beginning of last season, we wouldn'tve made the playoffs. I think that's what BCF is saying

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
In the Flyers' case, it's not a wash. If we didn't do well in the beginning of last season, we wouldn'tve made the playoffs. I think that's what BCF is saying
Bingo......you got it tsquad

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
yes, but just because you don't do well in the beginning of the season doesn't mean you can't recover. we fell apart because of injuries... the Devs got their best player back and took off.

the thesis is flawed... you win what you win. the simple fact remains that anyone who looked at the Atlantic division standings at the halfway mark of the season saw something that didn't represent how the season would end in the slightest... it was a wash.

Old
10-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
yes, but just because you don't do well in the beginning of the season doesn't mean you can't recover. we fell apart because of injuries... the Devs got their best player back and took off.

the thesis is flawed... you win what you win. the simple fact remains that anyone who looked at the Atlantic division standings at the halfway mark of the season saw something that didn't represent how the season would end in the slightest... it was a wash.
A win in October counts the same for the standings as a win in March. Sure, teams can catch up, but they still have a hill to climb that most teams don't overcome.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 02:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

And I can say how Atlanta's first half was their cause as to why they didn't make the playoffs. If Lehtonen was healthy during the first half, they make the playoffs. So yes, the first half can definitely be make or break.

What people fail to mention about New Jersey is that they still had Parise, Gionta, Langenbrunner, Martin, Hale, and most important, Brodeur. Let's not get beyond ourselves. The Devils go as far as Brodeur takes them.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And I can say how Atlanta's first half was their cause as to why they didn't make the playoffs. If Lehtonen was healthy during the first half, they make the playoffs. So yes, the first half can definitely be make or break.

What people fail to mention about New Jersey is that they still had Parise, Gionta, Langenbrunner, Martin, Hale, and most important, Brodeur. Let's not get beyond ourselves. The Devils go as far as Brodeur takes them.
Atlanta, even at their best, didn't have a lock in terms of playoff quality team... and even then, they probably SHOULD have made the playoffs, but choked down the stretch... losing to Washington if i remember correctly.

the first half is not make or break in the slightest. sure, you don't want to dig yourself a grave, but as long as you're .500 at 40 games, you're fine if you can figure yourself out for the second half of the season. while at the same time, you can be tooling along at .650 and shouldn't feel safe (US last year... Bruins when they went 19-4 and managed to miss the playoffs... many examples of the first half not meaning nearly as much).

even more importantly, you're MUCH better off coming into the playoffs with good momentum at a lower seed than a stagnating higher seed (a problem we've had numerous times).

every win counts... but how you're playing in October means jack squat when it comes to actually winning the cup... how you play the last 40 games tell you much much more.

Old
10-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
A win in October counts the same for the standings as a win in March. Sure, teams can catch up, but they still have a hill to climb that most teams don't overcome.
as far as standings... yes. as far as telling you anything about their chances in june... no.

Old
10-02-2006, 02:42 AM
bigsick

is nitty starting the season and expecting to play the whole year?

bigsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'm gonna say taht both the first and the 2nd half of the season counts great. Look at it like this:

First half the season counts definitely for the season, if you miss the playoffs by one game you'll be looking back at all the losses all season trying to figure out where you went wrong.

The 2nd half counts coming down to the playoff run definitely. Also, the 2nd half is a major factor in terms of team psychology. Figure this. A team that BARELY makes it in is more likely to be pumped then say, the Red Wings. The Wings can often easily make it to the playoffs, if a team like Atlanta works hard to barely make the playoffs, they can easily come into the first round pumped and full of confidence. I mean look at the Western conference last year, all the underdogs advanced. Shows how simple psychology can beat skill.

Now back to being on topic.

Thank you Niitty will be back!!! With his injury being in his hip this could be bad, lack of flexibility could be an issue. I hope things work out. I really don't want to see Esche being the starter.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 10-02-2006 at 09:58 AM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote