HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 11:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Continue here. Just over a month away!

Old
05-19-2013, 11:15 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Artukhin's main problem is that he takes way too many dumb penalties. That man can skate and has hands to score. He can be physical and he fights albeit, he's a major visor fighter.
Do you think he has enough offensive skills to play in a top-6 ? He seemed to have good hands at the U18 and good skating for a big guy. But if we draft him, I hope he isn't a second Tyler Biggs.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:16 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
I just listened to the last post in Entry Draft 7 - the Zykov interview and that kid is all about modesty, a trait that surely will help him at the combine. He has certainly caught my attention earlier with his game, now with his attitude and desire to improve every part of his game. There are no bright lights and glitter going to his head, that tells a story of a coachable athlete and team player.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Do you think he has enough offensive skills to play in a top-6 ? He seemed to have good hands at the U18 and good skating for a big guy. But if we draft him, I hope he isn't a second Tyler Biggs.
We're still talking about McCarron, right?

I'm not in favor of drafting for size, but you're never going to draft a power forward if you don't take a swing at one of those types of guys. We have 3 picks in the first, what, 36 picks? No reason why we can't take a chance on a guy with McCarron (who I like a lot) and pick up some skill.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Nitehowl

Last year we took 4 forwards and one Dman with our 1st 5 picks in the draft

This year, besides best player available... with the 1st 6 picks what would you like to see drafted....

I am thinking 5F - 1D

Maybe 4 F - 2D

Or 3F - 2D - 1G

Old
05-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post

This year, besides best player available... with the 1st 6 picks what would you like to see drafted....

I am thinking 5F - 1D

Maybe 4 F - 2D

Or 3F - 2D - 1G
4 forwards and 2 defensemen

Old
05-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I am thinking 5F - 1D

Maybe 4 F - 2D

Or 3F - 2D - 1G
1G for sure. The rest...it could be BPA if that theory really exist....

Old
05-19-2013, 11:39 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I'm not in favor of drafting for size, but you're never going to draft a power forward if you don't take a swing at one of those types of guys. We have 3 picks in the first, what, 36 picks? No reason why we can't take a chance on a guy with McCarron (who I like a lot) and pick up some skill.
I like John Hayden's abilities and his combative nature playing hockey, his attitude about not letting opponents take liberties with teammates really impressed though. He may not be John Ferguson yet, but he's definitely on the right track IMO. He's going to be a good power forward, with the ability to change the outcomes of games and possibly series, in the mold of a Chris Neil with higher offence.

Old
05-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Nitehowl

For all the SIZE fanatics....

LW - Hill 6'6 225 C - Hayden 6'3 210 RW - McCarron 6'5 228
RW - Fasching 6'2 215
LW - Moutrey 6'2 210

D - Diaby 6'5 223

possibly with our top 6 picks

Old
05-19-2013, 11:56 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

I agree, but I don't know if I would be happy if we draft him with the 25th pick. I like the BPA idea more than the BNPA (best needed player available) in the first round and I think a player ranked top-15 (by me, Timmins, or anybody) may fall to our first pick and be a better draft pick than McCarron. At #34, of course, but he will probably not be there at this point. So we will have tough choices to make!

Old
05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
I agree, but I don't know if I would be happy if we draft him with the 25th pick. I like the BPA idea more than the BNPA (best needed player available) in the first round and I think a player ranked top-15 (by me, Timmins, or anybody) may fall to our first pick and be a better draft pick than McCarron. At #34, of course, but he will probably not be there at this point. So we will have tough choices to make!
Agreed, it really depends who's left on the board at 25. We shall see!

Old
05-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I just listened to the last post in Entry Draft 7 - the Zykov interview and that kid is all about modesty, a trait that surely will help him at the combine. He has certainly caught my attention earlier with his game, now with his attitude and desire to improve every part of his game. There are no bright lights and glitter going to his head, that tells a story of a coachable athlete and team player.
I am praying that he somehow falls to us.....hopefully the Russian factor puts him on a slide to habdom!

Old
05-20-2013, 12:46 AM
S Bah

Quote:
LW - Hill 6'6 225 C - Hayden 6'3 210 RW - McCarron 6'5 228
RW - Fasching 6'2 215
LW - Moutrey 6'2 210

D - Diaby 6'5 223

possibly with our top 6 picks
I've known all of those by heart since the end of Feb., Fasching is a ND as is McCarron unless he drops to the end of the 3rd round. Hayden and Diaby at the 36th + 55th with Hill at 72nd or Dallas's pick and Moutrey at 85th.

That of course leaves 25th & 34th, the options depend upon what players are available again. Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Dauphin, Gauthier, Zykov and Morin if any are still on the board at 25th. At 34th any of the above if not, then Hurley, Poirier, Bailey, Jarry or Nastasiuk after come the sizable players chosen above with the last two 2nds and two 3rds.

The optimum players in order would be Burakowsky, Morin, Hayden, Diaby, Hill and Moutrey. Substitute any choices left from the groupings to fill those first but it's not likely any will be available, size on both defence and offence are necessary before the UFA's will make Montreal a desirable location again.

Adding two of the players chosen or similar with size to the Habs lineup on defence and offence is the only option that will bring the SC back. Just IMHO.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:50 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I've known all of those by heart since the end of Feb., Fasching is a ND as is McCarron unless he drops to the end of the 3rd round. Hayden and Diaby at the 36th + 55th with Hill at 72nd or Dallas's pick and Moutrey at 85th.

That of course leaves 25th & 34th, the options depend upon what players are available again. Burakowsky, Buchnevich, Dauphin, Gauthier, Zykov and Morin if any are still on the board at 25th. At 34th any of the above if not, then Hurley, Poirier, Bailey, Jarry or Nastasiuk after come the sizable players chosen above with the last two 2nds and two 3rds.

The optimum players in order would be Burakowsky, Morin, Hayden, Diaby, Hill and Moutrey. Substitute any choices left from the groupings to fill those first but it's not likely any will be available, size on both defence and offence are necessary before the UFA's will make Montreal a desirable location again.

Adding two of the players chosen or similar with size to the Habs lineup on defence and offence is the only option that will bring the SC back. Just IMHO.
Just curious, why ND for McCarron?

Old
05-20-2013, 01:23 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Just curious, why ND for McCarron?
Watching the U/18's there wasn't anything he did so much as how Hayden's game improved. Fasching is just plain ND and McCarron's ND is sour grapes I guess. Hayden's just impressive,has a passion for the game and he's not a ***** like McCarron, more like Knuckles Nilan, what's not to like there. Jeez did I write that down? Yeah I'm sure I meant every word then, the same as I feel about Tyler Hill, he's like Chris Simon except that his play is sound and he plays team hockey first. Hayden (Center) and Hill (LW) two future PF's with huge ceilings and will punish the opposition's defence & forwards.

Add Tinordi, Morin and Diaby to our defence corps and no forwards need worry about cheap shot teams again. Plus they can all play the game and skate well and have a bit of offensive ability. The Habs will not win a SC until they can add toughness and size.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:37 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

So who's mock draft do you guys think is the best so far?

Old
05-20-2013, 05:17 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

and also, how would you rank Gauthier, Mantha, Erne, Zykov, Burakowsky, Rychel?

Old
05-20-2013, 05:30 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Too close to call for myself but I would rate Gauthier last in this group. Too many questions about his competitiveness and physical play.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

There are not a lot of ND's this year. Come on guys, we could discuss where McCarron could or should go...but to make him a ND for us? Makes no sense to me.

I do have a few ND's...but it's probably not even a real ND per se, more of a ND by picks. I mean, I'm not a Nick Sorensen fan...but if the guy falls in the 3rd....it would be stupid to not think about him. And so on.

There are a couple of unsexy picks for us with our first pick. I will not be thrilled if we end up with Dickinson....or Pulock....or even Morrissey. Fucale, for me, is a ND with our 1st round pick. I did talk about him before as to we have to consider him....but not with our 1st rounder. There will be other goalies later on. But even if we go with any of those unsexy picks....they could be serious contributors down the road.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:34 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My darkhorse pick of the year, as nobody talks about him is Connor Hurley. Always have a soft spot over the youngest players of a draft....and you can't be younger than Hurley...was born September 15th. And it's always tougher to predict what those guys will do when you mostly have an high school to judge from. My main concern about him is that he's going to Notre-Dame. Now...Notre-Dame is my 2nd favorite NCAA team. Yet, they don't exactly groom a whole lot of offensive stars down there. But I guess he'll learn to be 2-way responsible. And he also needs to hit the gym.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:00 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My darkhorse pick of the year, as nobody talks about him is Connor Hurley. Always have a soft spot over the youngest players of a draft....and you can't be younger than Hurley...was born September 15th. And it's always tougher to predict what those guys will do when you mostly have an high school to judge from. My main concern about him is that he's going to Notre-Dame. Now...Notre-Dame is my 2nd favorite NCAA team. Yet, they don't exactly groom a whole lot of offensive stars down there. But I guess he'll learn to be 2-way responsible. And he also needs to hit the gym.
He's a good pick no doubt in my mind, maybe at 34th or 36th.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:04 AM
VanNistelrooy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Too close to call for myself but I would rate Gauthier last in this group. Too many questions about his competitiveness and physical play.
What? Were not talking about Keven Veilleux here, we're talking about Frederik Gauthier. Competitiveness is the least of his "problems"

Old
05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Last in this group is Rychel. Wouldn't draft him in the 1st.

I tend to put Gauthier ahead of all these guys.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:11 AM
Hansman

I definetly want BPA at our turn in the draft.

Having said that I really want at least 2 punishing hitters.
Someone like Tyler Hill who will make opposing D look over their shoulder while
in puck retrieval mode.

Add Mason Geertsen to the list on D
Punishing open -ice hitter who closes gaps quickly.
I get frustrated watching other teams forwards cross
our blue-line at will with no fear.

Add Nasty Nick to this years crop along with some
offensive talent and I'll smirk like the Butcher's dog.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

I think it would be a poor decision to draft exclusively 6'2+ guys this year because of the size fetish. It would be a Fischer 2.0 situation to draft on need. Take who's best, size is a secondary attribute. Especially with regards to a guy like Tyler Hill, 12 points doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a tier 2 junior league when he's supposed to be a skilled power forward who apparently isn't very committed defensively and doesn't play his size with consistency. Obviously if he's available at our 6th or 7th pick in the draft maybe you swing for the fences but it would seem foolish with the amount of talent in this draft to fixate because someone is tall.

Closed Thread