HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Old
05-18-2013, 03:07 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44Leafs View Post
Who could we have next year that would be better? I would take an upgrade over Bozak any day of the week. For the pieces we would have to give up its not worth it. I would try and trade up in the draft and take one of the top ranked centres (Monahan)

I dont believe Statsny or someone of his ilk is what we need at our stage.
Why not Stastny? He is essentially the same age as Bozak with three 70+ point seasons on his resume. If he pans out, he will fill the #1 spot nicely for a 5 year contract term. Yes he has not been great the last couple of years but that is why he won't cost the moon to acquire. They would want Lupul+ for the ppg version of him.
I don't think this will solve all the clubs problems, nor is there not some risk involved, but there are a lot worse ways they could go to try and improve. Can you imagine the Kessel line with an 80 point center? As long as they keep Gardiner, Reilly and this years 1st I would be happy with them moving some young assets to bring him over.
He is not Connolly, Lombardi or Weiss. This is not a band aid type solution, it's fixing a hole with a player who is still young enough to have a personal best season.

I don't like Ribeiro as much, mostly because of his age, but he has big skills and if Bozak is $4 million + then Ribs is worth 6 and they are still miles ahead. He could score 80 next season.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 06:04 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
So what is your defense for next year?

Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson, Gunnarsson seem like returnees and Fraser had a strong season as a 3rd pairing defender that might be back.

So if not Liles removed, than there is no room for any upgrades on what Leafs currently have?
Hopefully Ranger will be in that mix next year. Klein out of Nashville would help as would Orpik.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 07:03 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
Why not Stastny? He is essentially the same age as Bozak with three 70+ point seasons on his resume. If he pans out, he will fill the #1 spot nicely for a 5 year contract term. Yes he has not been great the last couple of years but that is why he won't cost the moon to acquire. They would want Lupul+ for the ppg version of him.
I don't think this will solve all the clubs problems, nor is there not some risk involved, but there are a lot worse ways they could go to try and improve. Can you imagine the Kessel line with an 80 point center? As long as they keep Gardiner, Reilly and this years 1st I would be happy with them moving some young assets to bring him over.
He is not Connolly, Lombardi or Weiss. This is not a band aid type solution, it's fixing a hole with a player who is still young enough to have a personal best season.

I don't like Ribeiro as much, mostly because of his age, but he has big skills and if Bozak is $4 million + then Ribs is worth 6 and they are still miles ahead. He could score 80 next season.
I'd rather stay from Stastny. Not worth $6.7 million in my books. If we can't sign Bozak, we may as well use our talent internally. Not even Bryan Burke was desperate for Stastny so I doubt Nonis would be.

I would go for Ranger, though.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:27 AM
leafspring*

I don't know what you people think needs to be done but if you take every toronto media whiner article to heart your in trouble.This is a patience deal and when we are established to look like we will contend every year,only then will these toronto media really ramp up their BS EVEN FURTHER.

This team made me proud for the first time in almost a decade and no b! tch media article will turn me against a pretty good team. The loss and type of loss has happened many times before to some really good teams.Its not a new thing.

Thanks Toronto Maple Leafs for a good season is my thinking.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I don't know what you people think needs to be done but if you take every toronto media whiner article to heart your in trouble.This is a patience deal and when we are established to look like we will contend every year,only then will these toronto media really ramp up their BS EVEN FURTHER.

This team made me proud for the first time in almost a decade and no b! tch media article will turn me against a pretty good team. The loss and type of loss has happened many times before to some really good teams.Its not a new thing.

Thanks Toronto Maple Leafs for a good season is my thinking.
The best way to allow patience to grow, is immediate success in the present.

By making the playoffs Nonis has separated himself from the pack and past and bought himself time. When you make the playoffs no one is screaming for change.

"Play the Kids" and accept the consequences allowing for development and maturation to be the vessel for improvement internally.

05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
smitty10

Nonis has to acquire a first line center and a top pairing defenseman who can take time away from Dion and Gunnarsson, while playing reliable defense. A veteran backup is also a good idea to help out Reimer.

Get it done, Nonis.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Smif

With Eberle and Hall making 6M each and with MacT looking to make some changes I could see Sam Gagner who's coming off his best year being available. He's still only 23 and improving I'd rather him than any one of Bozak, Ribeiro, or Weiss.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
The best way to allow patience to grow, is immediate success in the present.

By making the playoffs Nonis has separated himself from the pack and past and bought himself time. When you make the playoffs no one is screaming for change.

"Play the Kids" and accept the consequences allowing for development and maturation to be the vessel for improvement internally.
I'm really comfortable with not trying to build a contender quickly. The costs of which for the expierenced fans are known to be a vicious cycle having to trade constantly because the talent pipeline has been depleted to much.

The Marlies to the contrary have been a riches in times of injury or when a player was in line for a call-up for the hard work they put in developing. The direction and process has been very successful.

This squad has been built to compete against the bruins as many teams in the east have been. The Bruins to their credit have been the target of every team in the east but continue winning.

I think the bruins are looking at their roster and seeing that they will make some changes if possible because certain teams have caught them to a large degree.Still though they have a core group that is young and talented.

We basically took the benchmark team in the east to a 7th game overtime.There is nothing to be ashamed of or complain about there. The bruins single handedly brought the enforcer back from the brink of death lol, yet they seemed to avoid that while playing a team tough leaf squad.

We need to wash and polish and maybe we will be just fine.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

Would absolutely love Stastny.

Perfect fit and wouldn't cost a ton.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
I'm really comfortable with not trying to build a contender quickly. The costs of which for the expierenced fans are known to be a vicious cycle having to trade constantly because the talent pipeline has been depleted to much.

The Marlies to the contrary have been a riches in times of injury or when a player was in line for a call-up for the hard work they put in developing. The direction and process has been very successful.

This squad has been built to compete against the bruins as many teams in the east have been. The Bruins to their credit have been the target of every team in the east but continue winning.

I think the bruins are looking at their roster and seeing that they will make some changes if possible because certain teams have caught them to a large degree.Still though they have a core group that is young and talented.

We basically took the benchmark team in the east to a 7th game overtime.There is nothing to be ashamed of or complain about there. The bruins single handedly brought the enforcer back from the brink of death lol, yet they seemed to avoid that while playing a team tough leaf squad.

We need to wash and polish and maybe we will be just fine.
Unfortunately our Leafs are directly responsible for building Bruins young future core that we're now chasing. They have a key future component in net, on defense and on forward all a result of previous Leaf GM impatience.

Lets hope that times have changed no more "draft schmaft" and Nonis decides to keep his picks and use drafting and developing internally to fuel his rebuild methodology to making the Leafs into a contender.

With Dallas Eakins doing an excellent job of providing future talent this is certainly now a more viable option available to the GM to use as building block approach.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:48 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Would absolutely love Stastny.

Perfect fit and wouldn't cost a ton.
Maybe not in assets, but his cap hit is $6.7m. That's pretty high considering the cap is dropping.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:06 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Unfortunately our Leafs are directly responsible for building Bruins young future core that we're now chasing. They have a key future component in net, on defense and on forward all a result of previous Leaf GM impatience.

Lets hope that times have changed no more "draft schmaft" and Nonis decides to keep his picks and use drafting and developing internally to fuel his rebuild methodology to making the Leafs into a contender.

With Dallas Eakins doing an excellent job of providing future talent this is certainly now a more viable option available to the GM to use as building block approach.
The Rask trade was bad, but let's not make it like having a 25 year old Kessel is a bad thing too. I'd rather have Kessel than those two.

And I doubt Rask is that much better or better at all than Reimer, who was drafted by JFJ -- so there's some redemption there. We really let Rask off the hook with our collapse, otherwise, that would be two series in game 7 where Rask would have collapsed. As good as he is, he is a benefactor of a great defensive team.

Last edited by Superstar: 05-20-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Mr Scarface*

This season was very good for us. Our team was strong and played to the fullest. Randy Carlyle rocked. Bozak, Grabovski were really good and played with their hearts. Bozak is the option to move on with our first line guy though. He won't be able to win the Stanley Cup as our most important center. Money has to be involved here and now and trades/signings must be done. Money will be moving.

But if a first line center is not gotten by Nonis I'm blown away. That's the most important thing this summer and must be done. Get that first line center who's EXPENSIVE and FINE. E&F Expensive and fine. He must cost money and dollars must be moved. We have to pay for that. If a hero is being get, I'm happy and our leafs shall prevail. This team and organization is strong so why the hell don't we already have a great first line center.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Bodybr3ak

Id be pretty happy with a Kadri/Weiss/Bozak as our centers next year.

IMO the hunt for the number one center is slowly dying with kadri getting better and better.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybr3ak View Post
Id be pretty happy with a Kadri/Weiss/Bozak as our centers next year.

IMO the hunt for the number one center is slowly dying with kadri getting better and better.
Not true by any means necessary.

Money will be involved and moving on.

Kadri will play for us next season and be an important player for sure. But getting that stronger, more readier and expensive player who is that "hero type of stone" is the real importantte key factor.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Bodybr3ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zro View Post
Not true by any means necessary.

Money will be involved and moving on.

Kadri will play for us next season and be an important player for sure. But getting that stronger, more readier and expensive player who is that "hero type of stone" is the real importantte key factor.
Lol this fan base is so bipolar its unbelievable. Last season everyone was calling the kid an MVP and now hes not even worthy of number 1C when his predecessor was tyler bozak.

Kadri is likely better than ANYONE the leafs are going to inquire this offseason unless we pull off a big trade and get a big name (getzlaf,malkin,toews, etc) which will never happen. When I say get weiss I picture it like 1C=Kadri, 2C=Weiss, 3C=Bozak.

Bodybr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
leafspring*

Quote:

I assume we won't discount Kessels emergence as the premier scoring right winger in the game that has now continued to develope into a ok defensive player also in token respect.

We have some value from them deals with the bruins and nobody ever liked the rask deal. I remember watching Rask playing in the world junior hockey championships and snickering that he was ours. JFJ will never live that one down. That said though,its spilled milk and Reimer is pretty darn good in his own right.

I agree we need to continue the revolving door that comes with developing and rewarding developement. The developed players are still coming and Nonis has no need to be haste for sure. There are attributes the team needs at present that are not available to us through the marlies at present and there lies the largest decisions.

All decisions should be long term in any respect is how Nonis will be successful.

This draft is one i would actually think about trading down in and not up.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:11 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Nonis has to acquire a first line center and a top pairing defenseman who can take time away from Dion and Gunnarsson, while playing reliable defense. A veteran backup is also a good idea to help out Reimer.

Get it done, Nonis.
How?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:16 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
How?
Whats with the "we choked" at the bottom did yid you lose a bet?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:28 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Maybe not in assets, but his cap hit is $6.7m. That's pretty high considering the cap is dropping.
6 million aint what it used to be. Look what they were going to pay Richards. Patrick Sharp makes 5.9. Lots of clubs have players over $8 million. I am not worried about adding any contract as long as the player earns it. Guys that are producing can always be traded. The players that are disappearing off the books will create some space and the cap will start to go up in another year as it always has. They won't have Grabo after next season. The old buyouts are done in 13-14 too.

Its doable for the $2.5 million difference between Stastny and resigning Boz, but you have to believe that Stastny can still bring that A game.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
6 million aint what it used to be. Look what they were going to pay Richards. Patrick Sharp makes 5.9. Lots of clubs have players over $8 million. I am not worried about adding any contract as long as the player earns it. Guys that are producing can always be traded. The players that are disappearing off the books will create some space and the cap will start to go up in another year as it always has. They won't have Grabo after next season. The old buyouts are done in 13-14 too.

Its doable for the $2.5 million difference between Stastny and resigning Boz, but you have to believe that Stastny can still bring that A game.
Anyone who watched this year's world championship knows he can still bring it.

I think most people are expecting at least 2 of Grabovski, Liles, and Komisarek to be gone next year, so that's quite a bit of cap space to play with.

Perhaps a package of Matt Frattin, Joe Colborne, and Jesse Blacker would be enough to bring Stastny our way.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Beleafer4

I know many want us to take the next step next year, but I dont think its our time yet.

As far as im concerned, we should buyout komi and liles (if no one wants him)

And roll with these lines

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
JVR-Grabbo-Kulemin
XXX-Colborne-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-XXXX
Franson-Gardiner
Gunnarsson-Fraser/Ranger/Blacker

I propose Clarkson and Robidas. Signing boyd gordon would be a good move too.

And next year they will have to keep an eye out for any top Cs that become available

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
leafspring*

Quote:

Clarkson and Weiss might be good bets for the leafs to go after as UFA's.

Just the fact that they add some nice compete/scoring pales in comparison to the fact that both are UFA's that both are Toronto boys that might love to come live close to home and play on a up and coming hometown team.

When something seems like such a likely fit it usually is lol. Everything just fits. Scoring and grit aside,these two will bring some extra veteran savvy that will come in handy.

All the components seem to be a fit with these two like the stars alligning or something

Old
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I know many want us to take the next step next year, but I dont think its our time yet.

As far as im concerned, we should buyout komi and liles (if no one wants him)

And roll with these lines

Kessel-Kadri-Lupul
JVR-Grabbo-Kulemin
XXX-Colborne-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-XXXX
Franson-Gardiner
Gunnarsson-Fraser/Ranger/Blacker

I propose Clarkson and Robidas. Signing boyd gordon would be a good move too.

And next year they will have to keep an eye out for any top Cs that become available
So, "it's not our time yet", but we're going to sign Clarkson and trade for Robidas anyway?

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybr3ak View Post
Lol this fan base is so bipolar its unbelievable. Last season everyone was calling the kid an MVP and now hes not even worthy of number 1C when his predecessor was tyler bozak.

Kadri is likely better than ANYONE the leafs are going to inquire this offseason unless we pull off a big trade and get a big name (getzlaf,malkin,toews, etc) which will never happen. When I say get weiss I picture it like 1C=Kadri, 2C=Weiss, 3C=Bozak.
I like your picturing of 1 Kadri 2 Weiss 3 Bozak
But, we needs to spend more dollars. We want to get that expensive forward playing for that number uno spot. It's mui importantte than keeping Bozak on that spot. Kadri is a fine player and should be kept. He should play for our second line though. Scoring line that is. Bozak should play that dirty third you are correct there.

We need to move dollars and pay it big. It would be appreciated.