HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 09:03 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I think it would be a poor decision to draft exclusively 6'2+ guys this year because of the size fetish. It would be a Fischer 2.0 situation to draft on need. Take who's best, size is a secondary attribute. Especially with regards to a guy like Tyler Hill, 12 points doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a tier 2 junior league when he's supposed to be a skilled power forward who apparently isn't very committed defensively and doesn't play his size with consistency. Obviously if he's available at our 6th or 7th pick in the draft maybe you swing for the fences but it would seem foolish with the amount of talent in this draft to fixate because someone is tall.
Hill will not be there by the end of the 3rd, you missed your guess on that one. Have you ever seen him play? I have and he's nothing like your discription, which is why I ask.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think it would be a poor decision to draft exclusively 6'2+ guys this year because of the size fetish. It would be a Fischer 2.0 situation to draft on need. Take who's best, size is a secondary attribute. Especially with regards to a guy like Tyler Hill, 12 points doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a tier 2 junior league when he's supposed to be a skilled power forward who apparently isn't very committed defensively and doesn't play his size with consistency. Obviously if he's available at our 6th or 7th pick in the draft maybe you swing for the fences but it would seem foolish with the amount of talent in this draft to fixate because someone is tall.
Yup. There will be plenty of skilled forwards for our first three picks and a lot of then aren't exactly big and mean...but we still have to go BPA.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Hill will not be there by the end of the 3rd, you missed your guess on that one. Have you ever seen him play? I have and he's nothing like your discription, which is why I ask.
Hill is ranked 187th among NA skaters currently by ISS and dropped one hundred spots from the mid-term ranking. Safe to say he didn't have a good year. Not that ISS are the greatest scouting agency in the history of time, but I doubt anyone is as high on Hill as the armchair GMs in this thread.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

What do you guys think of Valentin Zykov? Does he have potential to become a 1st line winger? Kid sure seems to have his head on his shoulders and came to BAIE COMEAU at 17 to get better ice time and exposure. He wants to play in the NHL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDoe...3F311B94700EBD

Old
05-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Exactly, nothing wrong with mixing a few big guys in there but nobody wins anything with a team of big slow grinders.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:44 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Quote:
Hill is ranked 187th among NA skaters currently by ISS and dropped one hundred spots from the mid-term ranking. Safe to say he didn't have a good year. Not that ISS are the greatest scouting agency in the history of time, but I doubt anyone is as high on Hill as the armchair GMs in this thread.
As above did you see him play? Many players are farther down than that and are really talented, rankings are just that. They aren't the Bible, God didn't write them down in stone. When teams start drafting past the middle of the 2nd round players are picked from all over some aren't on draft lists. Tyler Hill played in last mins. of periods of close games and scored two game winners and assisted on two game winners not bad considering the guys on his line. Besides he played only 30 games after Prep school for Chicago and they only won 15 so he was in on 4 GWG out of those 15 games. Not too bad for his first season in the USHL and joining them halfway through the season.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Nedved

The obsession with size is borderline creepy on the habs board.

Always go BPA, and if they happen to be big players that's a bonus. You can always trade talent for a big guy if need be, and a combination of the two, are tough to find.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Marc-E-

Zykov reminds me a Martin Havlat, Michael Grabner or Alexander Semin. He's a good talent. If he's still available at our rank, I have no problem to see Habs picking him up.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:09 AM
S Bah

What truly is creepy are the people that run down players they haven't seen play. Size is a huge consideration for those Hab fans that have watched their players getting their heads pounded and bleeding profusely, yet still say oh we can always get big guys for a couple of talented players. The thought astounds one, that it takes two talented players for one big guy, but don't ever draft one that could be better. The really good big guys don't get traded and certainly go ahead and send Pacioretty and a couple of good prospects to get one.

Who am I to talk this way, obviously it's much better to watch your players get beaten any given game than draft someone that can stop the bleeding.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Do you think he has enough offensive skills to play in a top-6 ? He seemed to have good hands at the U18 and good skating for a big guy. But if we draft him, I hope he isn't a second Tyler Biggs.
Tyler Biggs, to me is a top 9 guy. You don't want that for a 1st rounder, but you could always do worse.

Tom Wilson appears to be a top 9 guy, too and he was drafted 7ish spots ahead of Biggs.

If McCarron does become a physical, somewhat angry guy playing top 9 minutes with the ability to move up I'd be fine with that. Is there a possibility we miss a top 6 player who's on the smaller side ? Yes. Do we not have those with potential/ somewhat proven in Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher ? On our left side, as of right now we have Pacioretty and Bourque.

Bourque, let's say he gets dealt so we have 1 spot open. Chances (and let's hope) they'll be playing with Galchenyuk (tremendous skill), or Plekanec (great vision/play maker). Both those players have/will have the ability to make players around them better.

With that said, a guy like McCarron I'd like to get at 34th, but that could be risky to pick him. 25th might be too early. So, we're gonna have to get lucky, or take a chance,

Old
05-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Good thing Chara and Lucic prevented Marc Savard from having scrambled brains.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Nedved

Quote:
What truly is creepy are the people that run down players they haven't seen play. Size is a huge consideration for those Hab fans that have watched their players getting their heads pounded and bleeding profusely, yet still say oh we can always get big guys for a couple of talented players. The thought astounds one, that it takes two talented players for one big guy, but don't ever draft one that could be better. The really good big guys don't get traded and certainly go ahead and send Pacioretty and a couple of good prospects to get one.

Who am I to talk this way, obviously it's much better to watch your players get beaten any given game than draft someone that can stop the bleeding.
we didn't draft most of our team, so it's the direction the gm went to. I'm sure the image is changing, slowly, and the habs will get tougher but I don't hold a lot of value in picking guys for their size.

yes, I don't like watching our players get 'beaten' 5 games a year but at the same time, I enjoy finishing 2nd in the east. the playoffs happened because of injury, poor goaltending, and a goalie at the other end playing fantastic. were we perfect? no. not at all, but a big tough guy wasn't going to change the outcome of the games.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Good thing Chara and Lucic prevented Marc Savard from having scrambled brains.
Don't forget Horton and Bergeron's scrambled brains.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Dada

Gauthier would be so sexy with a Habs jersey, im sure, even tough he's allready good, that next year he will be a really dominant player, maybe it just takes a little more time to adjust when your huge as ****

Old
05-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My darkhorse pick of the year, as nobody talks about him is Connor Hurley. Always have a soft spot over the youngest players of a draft....and you can't be younger than Hurley...was born September 15th. And it's always tougher to predict what those guys will do when you mostly have an high school to judge from. My main concern about him is that he's going to Notre-Dame. Now...Notre-Dame is my 2nd favorite NCAA team. Yet, they don't exactly groom a whole lot of offensive stars down there. But I guess he'll learn to be 2-way responsible. And he also needs to hit the gym.
I have never been a huge fan of drafting out of HS. Yes the potential is there but you have no idea what the competition is like and how the player will stack up against bigger guys. I am for it in the later rounds because you can bank on potential but in the first rounds I like to see guys drafted that we know can play against good opponents. Thus drafting out of the CHL.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dada View Post
Gauthier would be so sexy with a Habs jersey, im sure, even tough he's allready good, that next year he will be a really dominant player, maybe it just takes a little more time to adjust when your huge as ****
Yea I hope he can become an offensive threat. I wouldnt mind us picking him I just hope he doesnt become a Jason Arnott type player. But if he does indeed start scorning at a good clip he will be really good.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:44 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Exactly, nothing wrong with mixing a few big guys in there but nobody wins anything with a team of big slow grinders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
we didn't draft most of our team, so it's the direction the gm went to. I'm sure the image is changing, slowly, and the habs will get tougher but I don't hold a lot of value in picking guys for their size.

yes, I don't like watching our players get 'beaten' 5 games a year but at the same time, I enjoy finishing 2nd in the east. the playoffs happened because of injury, poor goaltending, and a goalie at the other end playing fantastic. were we perfect? no. not at all, but a big tough guy wasn't going to change the outcome of the games.
I'm quite sure that Bergevin should listen to the advice given to secure a long tenure as GM in Montreal, with all of those SC's acquired due to the sage knowledge you share with us less fortunate.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
niftymove

Quote:
I'm curious Sbah: Where did you have the opportunity to watch him play, because USHL is not a big league on TV?

I would like to watch it myself if it is possible, many good candidates emerge from that league!

Old
05-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
What do you guys think of Valentin Zykov? Does he have potential to become a 1st line winger? Kid sure seems to have his head on his shoulders and came to BAIE COMEAU at 17 to get better ice time and exposure. He wants to play in the NHL.

He has it. He has great skill and hustle. He also seems to be dedicated. Great player!

Old
05-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Mrb1p

Also has anybody posted his top 20 for the WHL?

Old
05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Nedved

Quote:
I'm quite sure that Bergevin should listen to the advice given to secure a long tenure as GM in Montreal, with all of those SC's acquired due to the sage knowledge you share with us less fortunate.
he just signed dd to a 4 year extension...

eller and galchenyuk would not be habs, if it wasn't for gauthier. the biggest knock on gauthier is his personality.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
I'm curious Sbah: Where did you have the opportunity to watch him play, because USHL is not a big league on TV?

I would like to watch it myself if it is possible, many good candidates emerge from that league!
I watched the USNTDP - Chicago games online, Hill's first game that they lost and played them again about 3 weeks later. Chicago won that game and McCarron was a ghost in that game, but Hill and Hayden impressed. A friend set things up through Toronto - LA so my IP comes up as a States IP which gives all the programming they have.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:05 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Zykov reminds me a Martin Havlat, Michael Grabner or Alexander Semin. He's a good talent. If he's still available at our rank, I have no problem to see Habs picking him up.
These 3 don't even play a similar game. Unless you're awkwardly trying to say that he doesn't hit. Zykov is agile but not blazing fast and he's shown grit more than all 3 of those.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
These 3 don't even play a similar game. Unless you're awkwardly trying to say that he doesn't hit. Zykov is agile but not blazing fast and he's shown grit more than all 3 of those.
Comparable ? Lucic or Hartnell ?

Old
05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post

A forward with size, commitment, good work ethic, skills, he is a very intriguing player. If he is there at 25, he could be the BPA. He is a great prospect and I hope the russian factor is there for him because I want him to fall to our pick. I know he plays with Baie-Comeau in the middle of nowhere, but I'm pretty sure there are stupid teams that are afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
and also, how would you rank Gauthier, Mantha, Erne, Zykov, Burakowsky, Rychel?
Just to start a discussion, I would say:

Zykov, does he have a flaw, a real one !?
Mantha
Gauthier
Rychel
Erne
Burakowsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Tyler Biggs, to me is a top 9 guy. You don't want that for a 1st rounder, but you could always do worse.

Tom Wilson appears to be a top 9 guy, too and he was drafted 7ish spots ahead of Biggs.

If McCarron does become a physical, somewhat angry guy playing top 9 minutes with the ability to move up I'd be fine with that. Is there a possibility we miss a top 6 player who's on the smaller side ? Yes. Do we not have those with potential/ somewhat proven in Collberg, Kristo, Gallagher ? On our left side, as of right now we have Pacioretty and Bourque.

Bourque, let's say he gets dealt so we have 1 spot open. Chances (and let's hope) they'll be playing with Galchenyuk (tremendous skill), or Plekanec (great vision/play maker). Both those players have/will have the ability to make players around them better.

With that said, a guy like McCarron I'd like to get at 34th, but that could be risky to pick him. 25th might be too early. So, we're gonna have to get lucky, or take a chance,
I agree with everything but isn't McCarron a RW ?

Closed Thread