Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hockey at the Palace of Auburn Hills

Old
05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Drake88

vCash: 500
Hockey at the Palace of Auburn Hills

Could a minor league team work at the palace again?

FACILITIES- The palace is still very nice with spacious concourses and lots of seating. The last 5 years have been awful attendance wise for the pistons, Most nights they are struggling to bring in 10K. It's possible they could be looking to bring in some extra revenue. I am not really sure if it still has the proper equipment for hockey anymore, but it did host college hockey in 2008.

COMPETITION- Times have changed in the minor league landscape. There are now only two teams in Michigan, and both on the west side (Griffins and K-Wings). It is however tough to say if the red wings would be in support of such a move, which if they weren't would be devastating.

LEAGUE- The ECHL or the AHL would be the only real logical leagues based on location and arena size. Both would have potential risks.

If they were to join the ECHL, they would have to go in the crowded north division which could be a problem for the league. The palace is also considerably larger than most other ECHL rinks and unless they were given a great lease i find it hard to imagine they would be able to pay long term for the carnivorous facility.

Joining the AHL would probably make more sense. Although Grand Rapids could be threatened by their proximity to the wings.

any thoughts?

Drake88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:38 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Well, AHL teams not affiliated with the NHL team is very close to where the AHL team is a bit common (Abbotsford, Chicago Wolves) it could work. Orlando Solar Bears play where the Magic NBA team does so you can't say that arena size is a factor. I think it could only work for ECHL and would be the next possible location for a team if the North Division loses a team.

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
MotorCityBoy

Ain't gonna happen. It's highly doubtful Palace Sports and Entertainment want to own any kind of hockey team, as PSE would not consider leasing the building to another owner. The building is a huge money maker as is. Plus, a minor league team with no affiliation with the Wings would garner little to no interest among fans here. To boot, any team WITH a Wings affiliation would NEVER play in the Palace.

MotorCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:01 AM
needzmoarcleary
I'm Back

When the Palace had the vipers back in the day I got to play there a number of times and the ice was beyond horrible. No thanks.

needzmoarcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:23 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The chance for the Jackals to finally relocate!

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:03 AM
AceFace905

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityBoy View Post
Ain't gonna happen. It's highly doubtful Palace Sports and Entertainment want to own any kind of hockey team, as PSE would not consider leasing the building to another owner. The building is a huge money maker as is. Plus, a minor league team with no affiliation with the Wings would garner little to no interest among fans here. To boot, any team WITH a Wings affiliation would NEVER play in the Palace.
Well first off, the Vipers had no affiliation with the Wings--or anyone, until they bought the Lightning--and still drew well. Even after comps they were one of the top draws in the IHL at their height.

Also, I don't think there's anywhere near the kind of animosity between Gores and the Ilitches as there was between Davidson and the Ilitches. So maybe a partnership could happen, although I think they're satisfied with what they've got going with Grand Rapids and Toledo. Ultimately I think it boils down to "do they want to own a hockey team?" I don't see it happening, but then stranger things have happened...

AceFace905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Alpine

MOD
Isn't Plymouth in Metro Detroit? If Compuware has invested so much into the Whalers why have they shied away from investing in bringing Canes affiliates into the Detroit area?
Disd't the Whalers play at Auburn Hills whilst the Compuware Arena was being built?
May I add that the Windsor Spitfires are just the other side of the river. Seems like lotsa hockey in the market these days?

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-31-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: ...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:15 PM
AceFace905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
MOD
Isn't Plymouth in Metro Detroit? If Compuware has invested so much into the Whalers why have they shied away from investing in bringing Canes affiliates into the Detroit area?
Disd't the Whalers play at Auburn Hills whilst the Compuware Arena was being built?
May I add that the Windsor Spitfires are just the other side of the river. Seems like lotsa hockey in the market these days?
There's always been a lot of hockey in the area--Hockeytown isn't just a marketing gimmick. I actually remember before Karmanos moved the Whalers to Raleigh one of the local papers suggested that they could wind up at the Palace, which would have been quite interesting (especially in the last five years... )

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-31-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: qep
AceFace905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
MOD
Stupid response MOD.
Isn't Guelph in Metro Toronto? What about Barrie, Kitchener, Brampton, Mississauga, Oshawa, St. Catharines? May I add the dozens of other junior teams plus the Toronto Maple Leafs? Seems like lotsa hockey in the market these days?

Last edited by LadyStanley: 05-31-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: flaming
JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote