HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres re-sign enforcer John Scott to one-year deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 08:04 AM
  #1
Fire Sweeney
Registered User
 
Fire Sweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 21,274
vCash: 500
Sabres re-sign enforcer John Scott to one-year deal

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...year-deal.html

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:51 AM
  #2
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
another player who shouldnt even be in the league

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
  #3
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Ron C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
Good teammate, low risk for Sabres.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:08 AM
  #4
wunderpanda
sabre of damocles
 
wunderpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,377
vCash: 500
I'm indifferent about this

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:29 AM
  #5
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,360
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
another player who shouldnt even be in the league
It is too bad the NHL has let itself go down this path. They were going down the right path after the 2004 lockout and for unknown reasons reversed course. Now we need to have a guy like Scott on the roster because Shannahan doesn't have the balls to take significant action and they feel they need to have a human nuke in order to prevent goons from taking liberties on skilled players. It sucks.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:57 AM
  #6
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
It is too bad the NHL has let itself go down this path. They were going down the right path after the 2004 lockout and for unknown reasons reversed course. Now we need to have a guy like Scott on the roster because Shannahan doesn't have the balls to take significant action and they feel they need to have a human nuke in order to prevent goons from taking liberties on skilled players. It sucks.
Pretty much this.

If someone takes a run at Vanek and misses, it's fair game. Not even a consideration for a suspension. So, Scott will need to go out and send a message to not even try.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:02 AM
  #7
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?
 
Four Boilermakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Pretty much this.

If someone takes a run at Vanek and misses, it's fair game. Not even a consideration for a suspension. So, Scott will need to go out and send a message to not even try.
Let's say Brad Marchand runs Vanek. Scott, in retaliation, fights Shawn Thornton. That will teach Marchand...

Enforcers are worthless because they will only draw a penalty if they try to bait the actual person who made the run at the star player into a fight. Nobody is scared of guys like John Scott because he can only hurt you if you try to fight him, which you won't unless you are also an "enforcer". On the other hand, you have a better chance of scoring whenever Scott is on the ice.

Or, are you expecting Scott to send a message by taking a run at one of the opposing team's players? That just seems like two wrongs.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:10 AM
  #8
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,360
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Let's say Brad Marchand runs Vanek. Scott, in retaliation, fights Shawn Thornton. That will teach Marchand...

Enforcers are worthless because they will only draw a penalty if they try to bait the actual person who made the run at the star player into a fight. Nobody is scared of guys like John Scott because he can only hurt you if you try to fight him, which you won't unless you are also an "enforcer". On the other hand, you have a better chance of scoring whenever Scott is on the ice.

Or, are you expecting Scott to send a message by taking a run at one of the opposing team's players? That just seems like two wrongs.
You actually used the one example that proved positive for having Scott on the Sabres this year. Boston used to manhandle Buffalo physically. In the first matchup this season, Scott destroyed Thornton early in the game and it completely changed the tone. Buffalo got the better of the Bruins this year, oddly, and you can give a lot of credit to John Scott for it. They played bigger than they had in the past against Boston.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:12 AM
  #9
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,840
vCash: 500
It'd be nice if he could actually fight.

I feel like McClaren/Orr beat up on Scott more than anybody around the league.

EDIT: In fact they should've signed McClaren.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
  #10
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 View Post
Let's say Brad Marchand runs Vanek. Scott, in retaliation, fights Shawn Thornton. That will teach Marchand...

Enforcers are worthless because they will only draw a penalty if they try to bait the actual person who made the run at the star player into a fight. Nobody is scared of guys like John Scott because he can only hurt you if you try to fight him, which you won't unless you are also an "enforcer". On the other hand, you have a better chance of scoring whenever Scott is on the ice.

Or, are you expecting Scott to send a message by taking a run at one of the opposing team's players? That just seems like two wrongs.
In that case, Marchand sure as **** wouldn't fight.

What I meant was, the only use for Scott because in all honesty, he can't play the game to be a somewhat useful component on the ice, he'd have to go to Marchand and send a message by talking to him.

Ultimately, he'd have to go after, say, Seguin. That would just devolve the game into a goon show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
It'd be nice if he could actually fight.

I feel like McClaren/Orr beat up on Scott more than anybody around the league.

EDIT: In fact they should've signed McClaren.
McLaren is a RFA this year. Only Orr is a ufa.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
  #11
JuicyJ*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Scott provides nothing and he's not "the reason" they beat any team. Goons aren't leaving the game because of rule changes or Shanahan, they're leaving/ineffective because if a guy actually runs a player, the chances that player goes with the other teams goon is slim to none.

No one wants to fight John Scott. Not because he's a big bad scary man, because him on the ice makes the Sabres a worse team.

JuicyJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
  #12
JuicyJ*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
In that case, Marchand sure as **** wouldn't fight.

What I meant was, the only use for Scott because in all honesty, he can't play the game to be a somewhat useful component on the ice, he'd have to go to Marchand and send a message by talking to him.

Ultimately, he'd have to go after, say, Seguin. That would just devolve the game into a goon show



McLaren is a RFA this year. Only Orr is a ufa.
That never happens. Goons don't retaliate and go after skill players. Most goons never touch the ice if its not against 4th lines

JuicyJ* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
  #13
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!
 
SundherDome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
good resigning, solid 13th forward, towards the end of the year when he was consistently playing he was not a liability for his 5-10 minutes per game, also a great locker room guy from what I can tell.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:09 AM
  #14
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd
 
struckbyaparkedcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Country: Cote DIvoire
Posts: 11,620
vCash: 500
Even if he wasn't the best heavy in the league last year, he kept guys like Thornton and Parros away from Buffalo's agitators and physical guys. Thornton especially feasted on mismatches against the Sabres before the Scott add.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
  #15
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 16,426
vCash: 134
Why not sign a hockey player instead? It's a wasted roster spot.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:43 AM
  #16
Galchenyuk4habs
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk4habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Why not sign a hockey player instead? It's a wasted roster spot.
Who does tampa bay have on its 4rth line that is such a better hockey player than Scott?
Scott had a much bigger impact than any other 4rth liner on the Sabres this year, specially against the bruins.

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:47 AM
  #17
Quares27
Registered User
 
Quares27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Absolutely useless, especially for such a bad team. Scott isn't going to deter anyone from doing anything because he's never on the ice against good players and he's way too slow to ever be a big physical presence outside of fighting. Maybe a few of the softest teams might be more hesitant but that's about it. I remember Orr grabbing Kaleta against his will and pummeling him... you'd think the ultimate enforcer would have deterred something like that?

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
  #18
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
worst player in the NHL

give raise



I mean obviously this is a move as irrelevant as it gets in the NHL, but man

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
  #19
Galchenyuk4habs
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk4habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
worst player in the NHL

give raise



I mean obviously this is a move as irrelevant as it gets in the NHL, but man
A bitter bruins fan? how many games have you won against the sabres this season, by the way?

Galchenyuk4habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
  #20
Quares27
Registered User
 
Quares27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
A bitter bruins fan? how many games have you won against the sabres this season, by the way?
You're the one who seems quite bitter and I highly doubt they care how many games they won against the Sabres when they're 2-0 up in the 2nd round...

Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
  #21
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,278
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Absolutely useless, especially for such a bad team. Scott isn't going to deter anyone from doing anything because he's never on the ice against good players and he's way too slow to ever be a big physical presence outside of fighting. Maybe a few of the softest teams might be more hesitant but that's about it. I remember Orr grabbing Kaleta against his will and pummeling him... you'd think the ultimate enforcer would have deterred something like that?
He was already engaged with McLaren when that happened.

If nothing else, it makes for some amusement in what will undoubtedly be yet another terrible season.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
  #22
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
A bitter bruins fan? how many games have you won against the sabres this season, by the way?

Yeah dude...that's pretty embarrassing.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
  #23
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
A bitter bruins fan? how many games have you won against the sabres this season, by the way?
lolwut? Why would you just assume I said this because the Bruins had a bad record against Buffalo this season? Is there anything that makes it seem that way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
You're the one who seems quite bitter and I highly doubt they care how many games they won against the Sabres when they're 2-0 up in the 2nd round...
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yeah dude...that's pretty embarrassing.
who do you mean, me or the other guy? lol

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
  #24
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 11,245
vCash: 500


Great entertainment value per dollar.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:23 PM
  #25
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
It is too bad the NHL has let itself go down this path. They were going down the right path after the 2004 lockout and for unknown reasons reversed course. Now we need to have a guy like Scott on the roster because Shannahan doesn't have the balls to take significant action and they feel they need to have a human nuke in order to prevent goons from taking liberties on skilled players. It sucks.
Scott can barely play hockey, let alone fight

I'm all for enforcers in the league, but they should at least be able to do their job properly

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.