HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepers View Post
You may be right about Murray and the big ice but.. OEL is definitely a offensive d-man, to say the least a two-way defender. Hedman with Karlsson? He doesn't have a perfect season behind him but it may change at the start of the next NHL season. Then you want to play both Kronwall and Edler on the left side which none of them normally don't. OEL should start off at the third line to see how he does because he doesn't have half the routine that Tallinder has. And I like Tallinders close-down game. He made few mistakes during this WHC.
Sweden has a bunch of defensemen that can play at a high World Championship level, but aren't stars otherwise. Tallinder, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Grossmann, Ericsson, Gunnarsson are such guys that can go from being good NHL players to WCH all-stars. The World Champs are below the NHL level, the Olympics are above the NHL level, so it's a notable difference when you pick your players.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:15 PM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Ericsson has been Detroit's best defender this season.

Hagelin is useful because of his speed. He has some of best advanced stats in the league and has played top 6 his whole NHL career. I guess it is interchangeable between him Alfie and Johansson for a sparkplug role.
Landeskog is the speed on my fourth line. Even more important than speed is corner rat capability. Sedin-nam style. Steen, Zetterberg, Franzén, Eriksson.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
NuxFan09

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Franzen
Eriksson - Backstrom - Hornqvist
Steen - Zetterberg - Alfredsson
Landeskog - Berglund - Hagelin/Stalberg/Johansson

Brodin - Karlsson
Kronwall - Ekman-Larsson
Edler - Enstrom

Lundqvist
whoever

Old
05-19-2013, 06:30 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Am I the only one who thinks Staffan Kronwall and Joel Lundqvist could make many nhl lineups? As a 6th D and 4th line center atleast? I know they played in the NHL a few years ago but it's weird that they went back?

Was it purely because there were no offers, or did they get home-sick, got better paid in KHL etc?

Old
05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I think after this tournament it's pretty clear that our 1st line in the Olympics will feature two Sedins and Loui Eriksson. The chemistry the three of them have is just magical.

Old
05-19-2013, 06:42 PM
BeauRoger

Sweden has too many options on defense. Karlsson, Kronwall and OEL are given, but besides that its pretty open. Hedman should also be in no matter the situation. Edler might miss the olympics because of that staal hit, that might actually make it easier for them to choose.

Ive always been a huge fan of Enstrom, i think he should be in no matter what. Besides that, You have Brodin that might take a spot, and who knows, maybe larsson has a breakout season this fall. Oduya, Hjalmarsson are solid choices for a third pairing defensive D's as well.

For me it would be something like

Kronwall - Karlsson

Hedman/Edler - OEL

Enstrom - Hedman/Hammer/Brodin

Old
05-20-2013, 03:06 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
D.Sedin - H.Sedin - L.Sedin
Hagelin - Zetterberg - Hörnqvist
Franzen - Bäckstrom - Alfredsson
Steen - Berglund - Landeskog
Meek A Zniper Bad

Ekman-Larsson - Karlsson
Kronwall - Ericsson
Hjalmarsson - Hedman
Enström

Lundqvist
Enron
Fasth
Hmm, Enroth was on the all star team (lately) and might have the upper hand on a Sotji roster spot. Loui is the thrin separated at birth.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Staffan Kronwall and Joel Lundqvist could make many nhl lineups? As a 6th D and 4th line center atleast? I know they played in the NHL a few years ago but it's weird that they went back?

Was it purely because there were no offers, or did they get home-sick, got better paid in KHL etc?
Lundqvist - no way. Kronwall is talented enough to be a quality NHL player but he is getting older and is adapted to the big ice surface.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Martin Elz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepers View Post
Then you want to play both Kronwall and Edler on the left side which none of them normally don't.
This is wrong, they both play LD and have for years. Kronwall have tried to play RD but is significantly worse playing that side. That is why Jonathan Ericsson have made the switch to RD.

LD: Enström, Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Ekman-Larsson, Grossman, Tallinder, Edler
RD: Karlsson, Ericsson
Not sure: Brodin, Gunnarsson (do we even need to discuss him?)

Edler have gotten 2 chances to show us what he got on the national team and he have been horrible. I like him on the Canucks where he looks good and have good chemistry with the Sedins but we got better defensemen.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:12 AM
bede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Elz View Post
This is wrong, they both play LD and have for years. Kronwall have tried to play RD but is significantly worse playing that side. That is why Jonathan Ericsson have made the switch to RD.

Edler have gotten 2 chances to show us what he got on the national team and he have been horrible. I like him on the Canucks where he looks good and have good chemistry with the Sedins but we got better defensemen.
Gustafsson? He was one of our best d in the WC. Gus and Granberg should have a great chance to take a spot.
It wont be easy to pick the defs for OG, thats for sure..

Old
05-20-2013, 10:45 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bede View Post
Gustafsson? He was one of our best d in the WC. Gus and Granberg should have a great chance to take a spot.
It wont be easy to pick the defs for OG, thats for sure..

the diffrence beetwen world championship and olympics are huge.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:

I'm sure that Edler plays the right side in Vancouver. Garrison is the LD on that pairing.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
I'm sure that Edler plays the right side in Vancouver. Garrison is the LD on that pairing.
Yes but Edler plays there just because the team got a deficit on the RD. Edler plays LD with Tanev. With that said, Elder can play both sides, but he is clearly better as LD

Old
05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Quote:

Edler got two chances? I hope you mean the two games he played this tournament - physical and dominant - because if you mean this tournament and one 5 years ago you are out skating. Let me put it this way, the best team should be fielded and that is based on what they have done recently. Brining up a tournament 6 years away from the Olympics is doubleplusungood.

Further Boustedt said Swedish hockey will object the suspension. I figure the chances to get it through are better now that the injury wasn't that bad.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Uno Bench
Swedish citizen

I for one think Edler burnt himself out of the Olympic lineup whit that kneeing and earlier poor performances. There are way to many other d's better or equally good as him, no room for him anymore, hes gotten his chance in the NT and did not take it, on the contrary

Old
05-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

You can't judge him on the 2008 tournament. He'd just completed his first full NHL season and was probably really tired, but said yes anyway because he really wanted to make his national team debut.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Jonimaus

Edler is availible for Olympics again? Thought he was banned for the tournament.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
cosmicnavigator

Now when Mårts finnaly coached and gave his top line the minutes they usually play i would tweak my lineup and stack them a litte more.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson (20-25 min/g)
Zetterberg-Bäckström-Alfredsson (20-25 min/g)
Franzen-Steen-Landeskog (Steen+Lando pk and some 5 on 5)
Hagelin-Krüger-Stålberg (Hagelin+Krüger pk and some 5 on 5)
Hörnqvist

Hjalmarsson - EK
OEL-Brodin
Kronwall-Ericsson
Hedman

Lundqvist
Fasth
Lehner

Old
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
joe89

Only a suspension carrying over to the Olympics could hurt Edler's chances. His form next season will be far more telling.

A guy like Enström has had a bunch of chances to show up, he's never playing in the playoffs, but hasn't showed up for various reasons since 2009.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
With Enroth winning the world championship, does he a chance to make the team as a back up to Lundqvist?

Old
05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno Bench View Post
I for one think Edler burnt himself out of the Olympic lineup whit that kneeing and earlier poor performances. There are way to many other d's better or equally good as him, no room for him anymore, hes gotten his chance in the NT and did not take it, on the contrary
I think he'll be there. He was very impressive against Canada in the first period.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
With Enroth winning the world championship, does he a chance to make the team as a back up to Lundqvist?
Yes, there are ~5 goalies that could grab a spot behind Lundqvist. I believe Enroth has an edge now and with a solid season next year he will be there.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Only a suspension carrying over to the Olympics could hurt Edler's chances. His form next season will be far more telling.

A guy like Enström has had a bunch of chances to show up, he's never playing in the playoffs, but hasn't showed up for various reasons since 2009.
The last time he did show up for the WCs a couple of years ago, the tiny guy got absolutely knocked out and injured in like the first game against Latvia (?). Maybe that incident has something to do with his reluctance to participate in the WCs.

Still with the Olympics coming up and with the amount of skilled offensive d-men Sweden has at it's disposal, you'd wish he had shown some further dedication to the cause right now. I like him, but he's not an indispensable piece.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:03 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Yeah, that is so nice, we have heaps of good D-men so no one is indispensable. But as things are - call it laws of hockey/unluck/injury or whatever, half of the guys will probably not be available for some reason. But that is the good thing, it does not matter very much as we just brings in another load of top D-men. Man this is how it must feel to be Canadian; enough with hoping for luck and still have a lousy bottom pairing.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Lindbäck should either be the third or second goalie. He is a better than fast.

Closed Thread