HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Long-term roster-building discussion (Full contract chart in post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2013, 01:16 PM
  #726
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
What about bringing in Tim Thomas to split starts with Vokoun? The Pens could use a stop gap to bridge them a year or so while they look for a more permanent solution.
IMO i rather go with someone like backstrom since thomas hasnt played in a year and is 39..

Malkinstheman is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  #727
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,224
vCash: 500
People may disagree with this, but realistically, I see the Penguins going into next season with Fleury and Vokoun as their goalies...and this board will call for Shero to be fired.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
  #728
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,620
vCash: 500
I agree. I don't think Fleury goes anywhere.

JTG is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
  #729
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
People may disagree with this, but realistically, I see the Penguins going into next season with Fleury and Vokoun as their goalies...and this board will call for Shero to be fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I agree. I don't think Fleury goes anywhere.
Agreed. They aren't getting rid of him (Fleury). He will be the starter next year, and he will be the go to goalie to start the playoffs. I'd be utterly shocked if it didn't turn out that way.

PensFan68 is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 02:17 PM
  #730
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.750m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($2.000m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Douglas Murray ($2.000m) / Derrick Pouliot ($1.350m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,410,833; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,314,167

EdwardBlake is offline  
Old
05-19-2013, 04:47 PM
  #731
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
I can see the Fleury situation going either way.

If he doesn't regain his starting job by the end of these playoffs then I'd imagine Shero will approach Fleury like he did Martin and Michalek last summer and ask him if he wants a trade. Hard to say if anyone will actually take him though. I don't see him being bought out. The Pens still have use for him and by the time they pay the buyout and pay a replacement they won't be saving a ton of money anyway. May as well ride it out with Fleury for one more year at that point and buy him out the following summer when he only has one more year left on his deal and the buyout is cheaper. Not to mention the cap situation will become tighter at that point with Malkin and Letang extensions kicking in. This upcoming season isn't as much of a problem cap wise.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:32 AM
  #732
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood
 
Ragamuffin Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 15,539
vCash: 500
You just can't get rid of MAF until you have a long term replacement that isn't a "maybe". The last thing we need is to buyout MAF and sing another 35+ goalie.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:43 AM
  #733
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
You just can't get rid of MAF until you have a long term replacement that isn't a "maybe". The last thing we need is to buyout MAF and sing another 35+ goalie.
Agreed, shero also isnt the type to offersheet, and since we arent picking many times in the upcoming draft he probably wont want to deplet us of more prospects so not much is left other than looking with the organization (Hartzell, zatkoff) or signing a young free agent if available.

Malkinstheman is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:46 AM
  #734
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded
 
Coach John McGuirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,530
vCash: 500
Let's be real here. MAF isn't going to be moved before his contract is up, even though he should be. Just going to be too difficult to realistically; A. move Fleury, B. find a long-term replacement.

Coach John McGuirk is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:54 AM
  #735
ArcticFox
Registered User
 
ArcticFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Who the hell is Moore?
I meant Morrow, dunno where I got the other name from.

ArcticFox is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 07:42 AM
  #736
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,722
vCash: 50
If Horton went to FA, would you guys be interested in picking him up? Would have to move some space though.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 09:36 AM
  #737
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I agree. I don't think Fleury goes anywhere.
The only thing that gives me pause on that one is that the Pens are going to have to move some salary this summer. Probably about 5 million. We always talked about it being Martin or Orpik. Maybe it won't be. Or, at least it's not inconceivable that it won't be.

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
  #738
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
What do you think will Jeffrey re-sign with Pens for 13/14 season ?

ficohok* is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
  #739
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Let's be real here. MAF isn't going to be moved before his contract is up, even though he should be. Just going to be too difficult to realistically; A. move Fleury, B. find a long-term replacement.
If Ray Shero decides to move Fleury's 5M salary this summer, then either there will be a taker or he'll use a compliance buyout. Either way, he can get Fleury off the books if that is what he sees as the best route to free up cap dollars.

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
  #740
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
MAF may do well in regular seasons but do we really want to wait until next season's playoffs to find out if MAF can bounce back mentally? I sure don't.

sniugneP is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
  #741
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
MAF may do well in regular seasons but do we really want to wait until next season's playoffs to find out if MAF can bounce back mentally? I sure don't.
Not if I have to move 5M to deal with a 64M cap and moving Paul Martin is my other option.

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 11:48 AM
  #742
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingBennett View Post
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Jarome Iginla ($4.750m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Matt Cooke ($2.000m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Beau Bennett ($0.900m)
Dustin Jeffrey ($0.688m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Craig Adams ($0.675m)
DEFENSEMEN
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Simon Despres ($0.840m) / Matt Niskanen ($2.300m)
Douglas Murray ($2.000m) / Derrick Pouliot ($1.350m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /
GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,410,833; BONUSES: $425,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $2,314,167
Pouliot isn't ready for NHL until 2-3 years. Dumoulin will be next prospect to reach to NHL level.

Dupuis is a top priority for Shero to sign. He'll come first before Iggy. No way I'd pay Iggy at 4.750M.

sniugneP is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
  #743
cheesedanish87
Registered User
 
cheesedanish87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
I didn't think there was a chance pens would keep TK, but now im thinking they should, playoff performance is way more important then regular season performance on this team, TK has shown he can step up his game come playoff time.

cheesedanish87 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:01 PM
  #744
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Pouliot isn't ready for NHL until 2-3 years. Dumoulin will be next d-man to reach this level.

Dupuis is a top priority for Shero to sign. He'll come first before Iggy. No way I'd pay Iggy at 4.750M.
I wonder also if we'll end up keeping both Jokinen and Sutter. I'd think so, but I'd like a little better for Malkin's LW. If the playoffs have proven anything, it's that both he AND Sid need Kunitz.

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:11 PM
  #745
regard
Registered User
 
regard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Staal Debates
Country: United States
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
What does the new CBA say about clones? Do we have to pay them both equally or can we get them on a two-for-one?

How does Vancouver do it?

regard is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:36 PM
  #746
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,027
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
MAF may do well in regular seasons but do we really want to wait until next season's playoffs to find out if MAF can bounce back mentally? I sure don't.
I think Shero will attempt to move him, somehow. He was on a short leash and he failed again. What's his purpose?

Heck Shero was probably pissed that he had to spend on someone like Vokoun in the first place.

WVP is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 12:36 PM
  #747
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
What does the new CBA say about clones? Do we have to pay them both equally or can we get them on a two-for-one?

How does Vancouver do it?
Not sure if it addresses the subject. But, Ray Shero could this summer.

KIRK is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:06 PM
  #748
Malkinstheman
Registered User
 
Malkinstheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I think Shero will attempt to move him, somehow. He was on a short leash and he failed again. What's his purpose?

Heck Shero was probably pissed that he had to spend on someone like Vokoun in the first place.
Hes probably proud of himself for getting vokoun. IMO the best move he made over the last year.

Malkinstheman is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM
  #749
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I didn't think there was a chance pens would keep TK, but now im thinking they should, playoff performance is way more important then regular season performance on this team, TK has shown he can step up his game come playoff time.
We can't afford to pay 2mil for a winger that plays 10min a night on the 3rd/4th lines and only shows up a small portion of the season.

Shady Machine is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:15 PM
  #750
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
We can't afford to pay 2mil for a winger that plays 10min a night on the 3rd/4th lines and only shows up a small portion of the season.
Not when we already have Jokinen for what likely will be that role next year.

KIRK is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.