HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 01:42 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

None of the D available at 7 seem like real standouts and all seem like they could be years away from making an impact if at all so since this is MacT's most valuable asset, he might as well utilize it to bring in an impact player. I don't see any other asset (including Gagner) that could bring in a difference maker and we all know how poor the pro scouting is so i highly doubt that they sign one.
Am I the only person here who thinks Darnell Nurse is a standout? I mean he put up 40 points on a team that already had Ryan Sproul and Collin Miller. I have no problem selecting him 7th overall and personally would be pissed if we passed on him to acquire a mediocre player like Ference.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Am I the only person here who thinks Darnell Nurse is a standout? I mean he put up 40 points on a team that already had Ryan Sproul and Collin Miller. I have no problem selecting him 7th overall and personally would be pissed if we passed on him to acquire a mediocre player like Ference.
I'm in the same boat.

Having to wait 2-3 is normal for draft picks. We've just been spoiled with 1st overall picks steeping right in. Those 2-3 years shouldn't be any kind of deterrent against picking a defenseman.

The wait for defensemen always seems to get exaggerated too. Look at the last few drafts. Gudbranson, Fowler, Tinordi, Pysyk, Faulk, Prout, Larsson, Hamilton, Brodin all breaking in within 1-3 years of being drafted. Murray, Reinhart, Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba from 2012 who look like they'll more than likely do the same. Even some wildcards with Dumba, Pouliot and Koekoek who could be added to that list.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:04 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
The player I most want is Monahan at 7. I would be happy with Nurse too. Others I wouldn't mind are Lazar and Horvat. Both are guaranteed to be NHL players - the only question is are they going to be 3rd line players or can they be 2nd liners? And even if they are 3rd liners what is wrong with that? You need those types of players. Tht is exactly what we are missing in our bottom 6.

Any of the 4 I'm happy with.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:09 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I've only had limited viewings of Nurse so i'll defer to those of you who have more firsthand knowledge. He seems like a guy who has a lot of potential but is a bit of a project at this point. He really only started to burst onto the scene this season.

I'm not sure what Ference has to do with who the Oilers draft pick, it's not like they are dealing the pick for Ference.
I'm saying that if they have a chance to get Yandle, Del Zotto or somebody of that ilk with #7 being the centerpiece then i think that the Oilers should do it. Nurse, Zadarov etc. can only hope to be near as good as those guys one day.

If Monahan is available, then that's another story. It's really difficult to acquire legit top 6 centers through trade or free agency so the draft is the best chance to get one and Monahan fits the bill plus he's a really safe bet to be at least a strong #3C in the league.

Last edited by CupofOil: 05-20-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old
05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Roof Daddy

No one seems to be discussing our 2 nd rders much. 37th and (more than likely) 56th. Tristan Jarry is one name I've heard discussed. One guy I'm curious about, and it would be a bit of a reach as he's been listed as more of a late 3rd/early 4th rder is Tyler Hill. 6'6 225lb LW, played with the Chicago Steel but put up some underwhelming numbers (6-6-12 in 30 games). The scouting reports have been fairly positive and sound a bit like Dustin Penner - doesn't use his size consistently enough, a bit slow with his first step, but slick hands and fantastic one on one skills and good straightaway speed once he's moving. Hasn't decided if he's going college or not, Ottawa 67's own his rights. Could play with Monohan next year if he chooses OHL. Intriguing prospect with that size.

Would also be funny to have Taylor Hall and Tyler Hill as our LW's in the future.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm in the same boat.

Having to wait 2-3 is normal for draft picks. We've just been spoiled with 1st overall picks steeping right in. Those 2-3 years shouldn't be any kind of deterrent against picking a defenseman.

The wait for defensemen always seems to get exaggerated too. Look at the last few drafts. Gudbranson, Fowler, Tinordi, Pysyk, Faulk, Prout, Larsson, Hamilton, Brodin all breaking in within 1-3 years of being drafted. Murray, Reinhart, Rielly, Lindholm, Trouba from 2012 who look like they'll more than likely do the same. Even some wildcards with Dumba, Pouliot and Koekoek who could be added to that list.
If you are willing to wait 2 or 3 years anyways, why not draft Nichushkin?

Old
05-20-2013, 02:51 PM
doubledown99

In the 2nd rd the two players I would love to get are Bowey and Heatherington/Theodore.

For big tough forwards I also liked what I saw from Baptiste at the under 18s and Nastiuk.

A goalie would be nice but I rather hold out for one of them to drop to our 4th rounder (Comrie?)

Old
05-20-2013, 02:54 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
I like Nurse much more than I like Nichushkin.

I would even take Lazar or Horvat before I would consider him, honestly.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'd love to get Bowey in the 2nd.

Would the Oilers look at Carolina even if Barkov was gone to take Monahan at 5?

Old
05-20-2013, 03:45 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I'd love to get Bowey in the 2nd.

Would the Oilers look at Carolina even if Barkov was gone to take Monahan at 5?
I hope they do. Monahan solves so many needs for us.

Trade them Hemsky (at half salary) and the 7th and guarantee yourself Monahan. CAR gets a piece to help them contend (and a prospect that stocks the cupboards for the future).

We get rid of a redundant piece and guarantee us the player we want (If Monahan is who Oil want)

Old
05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
I agree with this. If they're looking for the 'immediate impact' they need to move up for Barkov. Monahan could play next season, might be better off to leave him in the O for a season though. Outside of that, I think Lindholm and Ristolainen are the two guys who could play in 14-15, outside of that you're probably waiting longer.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
I agree with this. If they're looking for the 'immediate impact' they need to move up for Barkov. Monahan could play next season, might be better off to leave him in the O for a season though. Outside of that, I think Lindholm and Ristolainen are the two guys who could play in 14-15, outside of that you're probably waiting longer.
The situation seriously has "the pick will be traded" written all over it.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Oilers4life1987

Honestly, i believe we should draft Kujawinski with one of our seconds and Jarry too.

1- Monahan
2- Kujawinski
2- T. Jarry
2- Ian McCoshen- if Hemskys traded
5- Cole Cassel
6- Markus Soberg

Old
05-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm in the same boat.

I'm completely fine waiting for Nurse, Risto or whatever D man if they have the upside. We've been patient with Klefbom, and it looks like its going to pay dividends. There's nothing wrong with sending a guy back to junior to take on a top pairing role, and potentially a spot on the WJC and then a year or two in the AHL. I'm fine waiting for that.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:56 PM
dnicks17

With the Oilers penchant for getting nothing out of their 2nd-7th round picks, the team is doomed to have zero depth as long as the 1st round pick is used for immediate impact.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Zach Fucale has bust written all over him but he'll likely be available in the 2nd round

Old
05-20-2013, 06:30 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Zach Fucale has bust written all over him but he'll likely be available in the 2nd round
Goalies are hard to project....

I'm not a Fucale fan but I'm willing to cut a 17 year old in the biggest tournament of his life (upto this point) against the best teams the CHL has to offer (who have made other teams goalies look bad) a break.

I've watched the CHL playoffs since I was a kid (I think since 1993 or so) and I can only think of two 17 year olds that stood on their head - Luongo (who didn't make it to Mem Cup) and Price (who also failed to make it).

17 year olds aren't suppose to be leading their teams this far so have to give Fucale some credit.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Beetle

I don't get all the Nurse love. Is he a dynamic offensive threat? Does he have the IQ to be an elite shutdown guy? No one ever talks about his abilities...just that he's big, mean and can skate. Oh, and his uncle is Donathan Mcnabb (Woopty doo?).

Sounds like he has the physical abilities to be a good player, but I'm not hearing anything about his actual talent. Nothing that screams top-pairing anyway. Seems strange.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I've only had limited viewings of Nurse so i'll defer to those of you who have more firsthand knowledge. He seems like a guy who has a lot of potential but is a bit of a project at this point. He really only started to burst onto the scene this season.

I'm not sure what Ference has to do with who the Oilers draft pick, it's not like they are dealing the pick for Ference.
I'm saying that if they have a chance to get Yandle, Del Zotto or somebody of that ilk with #7 being the centerpiece then i think that the Oilers should do it. Nurse, Zadarov etc. can only hope to be near as good as those guys one day.

If Monahan is available, then that's another story. It's really difficult to acquire legit top 6 centers through trade or free agency so the draft is the best chance to get one and Monahan fits the bill plus he's a really safe bet to be at least a strong #3C in the league.
Nurse isn't really a project IMO. His skating and puck skills are very apparent in watching him play, he's not just a big guy that fumbles around with the puck and has a bunch of raw skills. He showed well for an OHL player of any age this year. Is there improvements to be made to his game? Absolutely, just like any prospect. I like to compare him a bit to Zach Bogosian in Winnipeg, that type of nasty shutdown d-man that has a great package of tools but not necessarily a Norris winner. That's the type of player I think Nurse will be in the NHL. Keep in mind Bogosian was drafted in 2008, and this has been his first year of being truly valuable - 5 years later. Dmen in general take a while to develop, but once they do they are obviously difficult to acquire.

He also didn't really burst on to the scene, he has been being talked about in Ontario for years and was a top 5 pick in that league's draft, he was also on Team Canada at the U18 World Championships last year so he has been known in prospect circles for quite some time.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The situation seriously has "the pick will be traded" written all over it.
I just don't see the value there when trading the pick. To me trading the pick has desperation move written on it, I could see it ST was still GM and trying to hold onto his job that'd be the case, but MacT must know he's safe for minimum 3 seasons, so he's gotta look down the line and find a way to extend his job security then.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:41 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

I really want oilers to draft Max Domi with a second first round pick..I know oilers arent after him but man that guy can play, not said to be physical like his dad but genetics are genetics, just watch his hit last game or watch him tonight..I dont care that hes small, he's got tie domi genes, size didnt affect him negatively at all..Max Domi looks like a Theoren Fluery, draft him and you wont be sorry.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

IMO, due diligence.

WHLFromAbove
Lots of #Oilers crew in the building tonight including Howson, MacGregor and Mac-T. #2013NHLDraft

Tonight on the Memorial Cup docket, London vs. Portland.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
IMO, due diligence.

WHLFromAbove
Lots of #Oilers crew in the building tonight including Howson, MacGregor and Mac-T. #2013NHLDraft

That's interesting, lots of prospects to check of course: Horvat, Zadorov, Domi on the London side and Petan on Portland. I definitely could see a trade down if Monahan isn't there (not sure how the Oilers feel about Lindholm, but he may not be there at 7 either).

Old
05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
IMO, due diligence.

WHLFromAbove

Probably checking out Petan for our second rounder. Maybe even Horvat at 7. His 16 goals in the playoffs won him the OHL MVP.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:29 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Probably checking out Petan for our second rounder. Maybe even Horvat at 7. His 16 goals in the playoffs won him the OHL MVP.
They're just doing their due diligence. Going through the paces. It's the Mem Cup. Great opportunity to watch some of the better draft-eligible prospects in the CHL all in one spot.

Closed Thread