*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 04:04 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
I would have preferred Cameron Lizotte to Saban and definitely agree with Bruce over Mayo. Saban looked like he wanted to jump quite a bit this weekend but I believe that was a result of the talent level around him. I don't think that is going to translate into him taking a bunch of risky opportunities this year, I hope he can settle down and find his way.

Even beyond the Saban pick, it would have been nice if they went a tad early and took a shot on Adam Craievich over Mayo. That kid would skate through a brick wall if you asked him to and would have added a dynamic that Erie desperately needs: physicality. He would have woken up guys like Betz, Wigle, and Donnay who posses the physical tools but lack the attitude or willingness to actually use their size to their advantage.

The Otters are just defined to a relatively small area of comfort that they prefer to draft from and it's hurting them in the long run. With the McGuire trade this year, that equated to a completely failed draft year where they currently have nothing to show for it. Perhaps a fundamental change in strategy or a personnel arrangement would assist them in the long run.
I like Craevich too, defensive need played a part in that second round pick, especially after going with Strome. Lizzotte, Wilkie or even Colton White with that early second round pick, in my eyes would have been wise. Saban is big, but is he tough and not going to back down from the push back? Not sure. Lizzotte and Wilkie will push back. White has incredible feet. Anyway, time will tell. Saban has a bomb of a shot, good skater and a hard first pass. I did a mock draft and put Craievich to Erie in the second round. So im with u on that idea as well. Craivech in the slot with Mcdavid on the PP sounds like a very, very good idea. Craevich has one of the best shots from this years draft. He is an accurate, one shot scorer.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:10 AM
KnightSpit

Otters D and Mini Camp Review

Hey

Found this from some Erie Sports News, sounds like this guy really follows the team, knows hockey and was there for the entire camp. Like I said before London and / or Windsor will take both Murphy and Felker off your hands for a couple of dratf picks. On a separate note, I think the Colts who are palying Londoon right now, built their team the right way.

Posted: May 5th, 2013
OTTERS UPDATE:
Abraham working towards OA spot
Veteran D Spencer Abraham figures Dane Fox and Jimmy McDowell are locks for two of the Erie Otters’ three overager spots for the 2013-14 OHL season. The departure of D Jack Kuzmyk, who recently informed club officials he has chosen to enroll in school instead of trying to play his final season in major juniors, leaves as Abraham as the only other OA on the current roster.
Yet Abraham doesn’t think he’s a sure thing right now. “I’m going to have to earn my spot,” he said. OAs need to be among the best players on the team. So where doe Abraham feel he fits in?
“I can be a depth guy,” he said, who can serve as a mentor to younger Ds like returnees Justin Felker and Darren Raddysh, soon-to-be signed 2013 second-round pick Jesse Saban and highly-touted 2012 pick Travis Dermott.
“They’re young guys coming into the league,” said Abraham, who heads into his fourth year in the OHL. “It’s a tough league. I can show them the way they need to work and the way they need to act.”
* Taking the next step: Defense prospect Patrick Murphy needed to get thinner, faster and stronger to have a chance to play for the Otters next season. He’s spending the offseason doing just that.
A more streamlined version of the Otters’ fifth-round pick in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection looked impressive during the club’s rookie development camp this weekend at Mercyhurst Ice Center.
“I wasn’t fast enough and too soft in the corners. That’s where I needed to step up to stick around,” said Murphy, who spent brief stints with the club the past two seasons.
* Hitting his mark: First-round pick Dylan Strome tossed a strike Friday night at Jerry Uht Park, when he threw the ceremonial first pitch before the Erie SeaWolves game. Strome wishes he was more accurate with his shots in Saturday’s scrimmages at MIC. He scored in the first scrimmage featuring mainly players with 1996 and 1997 birth years.
Yet he was stopped on a few quality chances in the second scrimmage.
Yet on the plus side, he quickly learned how much of a jump he will face from minor midgets to the OHL. Besides being a faster game, he said, “you’ve got to brace yourself for every hit.”
* A weekend off: C Connor McDavid enjoyed a leisurely weekend at MIC. He didn’t skate because he’s only a week removed from winning a gold medal at the IIHF U18 World Championship in Sochi, Russia. Besides, he’s still savoring the memorable experience, and not because he led all players in the tournament with eight goals and 14 points.
He enjoyed playing some of the best players in the world in that age group. McDavid also appreciated what he saw on the ice at MIC this weekend.
“It looks good out there,” he said. “I’m looking forward to training camp.”
* Getting offensive: C Kyle Pettit developed into a reliable defensive forward for the Otters last season as a 16-year-old rookie. Yet he focused on his offensive game this offseason. He has worked strictly on offense four days a week.
“It’s nice to get an offensive approach to my game,” he said.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:47 AM
defensehockey19

Do Erie fans expect Crisp or Harper to be dealt this offseason? And if so what would they look for in return?

Old
05-08-2013, 03:24 AM
PITTNERIE

There are bigger fish to fry in Erie. Most importantly getting to the playoffs, but more importantly keeping the franchise in town. It is sad to say that hockey has waned over the last couple of years. This year attendance has gone up, with not making the playoffs, McDavid factor. The new arena should help as well.

But the scouts need to go, they need to get some new talent in there. There has not been a change since 2003 when the best of the scouts went to NHL. In 2007-8, they got a head scout for a couple of months and he left and went back to being a scout for European players.

It seems to me that they have to rely on the import draft to pick up a Goalie?

Old
05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
NeutralityEleven

Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Do Erie fans expect Crisp or Harper to be dealt this offseason? And if so what would they look for in return?
I believe that Harper is the more likely of the two. Towards the end of the season, Bassin was quoted as saying that "things need to change" and he referred to lazy players with lackadaisical work ethics. I believe that Harper may have been one of those guys as he struggled with consistency all year long.

As for a trade, it would depend on what the return is from the import draft. If the Otters can secure a top notch European defenseman, I believe they will be looking for a power forward with 25-30 goal potential in return. The main need for the Otters is veteran defenseman by and large, and I suspect that will happen via trade for a guy like Harper, Jake Evans or Luke Cairns.

Old
05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymmy11 View Post
I believe that Harper is the more likely of the two. Towards the end of the season, Bassin was quoted as saying that "things need to change" and he referred to lazy players with lackadaisical work ethics. I believe that Harper may have been one of those guys as he struggled with consistency all year long.
I agree with it being Harper.
It looked like most of the season he didn't really care a whole lot,seemed very disinterested. Plus i think he would bring the most back to the Otters.

We have to get a top defenseman in the import draft. And hope that its not a swing and miss like last year with AK

Old
05-14-2013, 10:21 AM
KnightSpit

What Did You Think ?

Hey Otters Fan

Don't know if you watched it, but what did you think of the Knights last second win and come from behind series Championship.

What an organization !!! What Scouting and Coaching !!!

Hopefully Erie gets to that point some day.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:26 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hey Otters Fan

Don't know if you watched it, but what did you think of the Knights last second win and come from behind series Championship.

unless they win it all this year its not gonna happen in Erie
we will only have to put up with them for one more season, according to all reports....
then some other city's fans can worry about them and we will enjoy watching the the marlies and baby pens when the come to town to play the Monsters.
Pushed to the limit by an out manned squad but a fluke goal wins it for you..congrats
best of luck in the mem cup ....

Old
05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Snippit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Hey Otters Fan

Why is this on the Erie board? Shouldn't this be for discussing...you know... Otters stuff?

Old
05-14-2013, 08:57 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Why is this on the Erie board? Shouldn't this be for discussing...you know... Otters stuff?
Agreed.

This is reason #2,013 of why KnightFan(well, the bandwagoning ones anyway)is insufferable.

And Ottergolfer: Who SAYS the Otters are only staying one more year? Yes, the lease at the EIA runs out at the end of next season, but I find it hard to believe that government at all levels would pour that much money into rehabbing the arena only to see their top tenant bail.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:26 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
i would think he posted it as a way to get in a dig at the Otters fans.

with the latest rumblings on twitter and bassin's remarks about selling just a hunch about them not staying. also no local offers that we know of yet.

Old
05-16-2013, 02:56 PM
HF_Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
i would think he posted it as a way to get in a dig at the Otters fans.

with the latest rumblings on twitter and bassin's remarks about selling just a hunch about them not staying. also no local offers that we know of yet.
I'll see it when I believe it, though Bassin hasn't really confirmed or denied that the team would stay after next year. I'm sure there's local interest, but would they really want to buy the team if Bassin still has a say in business and hockey moves after a sale? I know I wouldn't after looking at their record since 2002.

If this is really the last year of the Otters, I wouldn't mind. I hear that there are other teams itching to come here. If there's a hockey team next year in Erie without Sherry, Erie's a winner.

Old
05-18-2013, 11:23 AM
KnightSpit

Otter's Moving, Cost of OHL Clubs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers View Post
I'll see it when I believe it, though Bassin hasn't really confirmed or denied that the team would stay after next year. I'm sure there's local interest, but would they really want to buy the team if Bassin still has a say in business and hockey moves after a sale? I know I wouldn't after looking at their record since 2002.

If this is really the last year of the Otters, I wouldn't mind. I hear that there are other teams itching to come here. If there's a hockey team next year in Erie without Sherry, Erie's a winner.
Hey how much do you think they can be bought for. My guess is 4 to 5 Million tops. Teams like London, Kitchener or Windsor would probably go for 8 to 9 Million.
Just a total guess, anyone have more information on OHL team prices. Also, if the State of PA is paying for a new arena reno and by all accounts people who have been there say it is looking really good and even with a loosing record the Erie fans still come out, why would you go. Good luck Otter's looking forward to seeing McDavid battle against the soon to be Memorial Cup champs

Old
05-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Otters Fan

I have heard Bassin is looking for 4mill for the team

Old
05-19-2013, 03:22 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
In my eyes he should step down and move on. Id feel bad for the fan base if Erie re-located. I think Bassin owes it to the fans to see the Mcdavid Era to the end. The fans support is excellent for what the on ice product has been in recent years. Bassin seems to be loyal to a fault. I.E. his defensive coach that was there too long. His scouting staff from my perspective is a joke. Maybe they are not viewing as many games as other OHL teams or maybe the scouts are terrible. In my eyes Erie has failed at drafting in rounds 2-5 in recent years. Other teams are finding building blocks or impact roster players in these areas. If u dont build through the draft your are making things much more difficult on your franchise. U draft well, u win, u develop NHL players, u fill the building, players want to be there.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:07 PM
HF_Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
In my eyes he should step down and move on. Id feel bad for the fan base if Erie re-located. I think Bassin owes it to the fans to see the Mcdavid Era to the end. The fans support is excellent for what the on ice product has been in recent years. Bassin seems to be loyal to a fault. I.E. his defensive coach that was there too long. His scouting staff from my perspective is a joke. Maybe they are not viewing as many games as other OHL teams or maybe the scouts are terrible. In my eyes Erie has failed at drafting in rounds 2-5 in recent years. Other teams are finding building blocks or impact roster players in these areas. If u dont build through the draft your are making things much more difficult on your franchise. U draft well, u win, u develop NHL players, u fill the building, players want to be there.
I'd like to see Connor finish out his career in Erie also, but what happens if they falter out of the starting gate again this year or next? I couldn't see him playing out his OHL career in Erie unless they actually win, and I still think there's some work to be done on the defensive side.

As far as being loyal, you're on the mark. Sidorkiewicz should have left after he "resigned" as head coach in 2007. The scouting has been subpar since Frank Jay left over a decade ago, and I hear that Bassin makes the final call on the draft no matter what the scouts' opinions are.

The Otters have had some good late picks (Mike Cazzola, Shawn Szydlowski and Connor Brown come to mind) but their higher round picks have really let them down. Heck, even people are not sold on their first second rounder this year, Jesse Saban. The 2008 and 2009 drafts were a disaster and that's why they've struggled the last two years.

It looks like the 2012 draft could be a good one even if you take McDavid out of the equation. I liked what I saw from Pettit, Hodgson and Raddysh this year. It sounds like Travis Dermott should step right in next season. Hopefully the 2013 class will be just as good and they'll have something good to build on. We want a winner here!

Old
05-20-2013, 02:08 PM
HF_Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
That actually sounds reasonable... maybe the Powerball winner from Florida is a little generous and could spare $4 million to us.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:01 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Rangers View Post
The Otters have had some good late picks (Mike Cazzola, Shawn Szydlowski and Connor Brown come to mind) but their higher round picks have really let them down. Heck, even people are not sold on their first second rounder this year, Jesse Saban. The 2008 and 2009 drafts were a disaster and that's why they've struggled the last two years.

It looks like the 2012 draft could be a good one even if you take McDavid out of the equation. I liked what I saw from Pettit, Hodgson and Raddysh this year. It sounds like Travis Dermott should step right in next season. Hopefully the 2013 class will be just as good and they'll have something good to build on. We want a winner here!
I also really liked that Pettit pick then and now. I wish his role was bigger last year, he needs to be used more this year. I imagine him to be a step quicker this year. Pettit has an under-rated hockey IQ. I believe he could be one player this year that could really have a break out year.

As of right now, I can not understand not selecting Colton White, Cameron Lizzotte in the 2nd Round. White has OHL speed right now, A defenseman that is faster than Saban and Lizzotte. A guy that can fly out there, skate the forecheckers off his tail and out of the zone. Paired with Pelech, White would compliment him and Pelech would make up for some rookie errors. White would be Erie's fastest skaters next year on the back end. I believe White was worthy of a late first round pick. Alot of value for SSM in the 2nd with this pick.

Lizzotte is not that pure offensive defenseman. But he is puck hungry, vicious and appears to hate losing battles. U cant teach hunger and compete level. He skates fast although unpolished. Lizzotte is a big boy, again u could pair him with Pelech and have a punishing tandem for Top lines to play against. Lizzotte will be an NHL player. He takes pride in playing defense, something that many 15-16 year olds dont.

This recent OHL draft did not have alot of size. So why would Saban a 6-3 205 defenseman fall to the second round when most teams had him as a 3rd or 4th? He was too passive at times and seemed to not want to impact the game as much as u would like. With that being said he has potential. For a kid his size, he skates Very well. Also he has an OHL shot right now. Can play the PP. Saban will be an OHL player, the question is did Erie pass on the opportunity to not select players who might have more upside. In 2 years we will know, until then Im just voicing an opinion that is not fact.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:13 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Hey guys, new to this board, going to lay out what I think the lineup should look like. Next season is huge for Erie, if it is successful, fans will turn out and there will be no reason for this team to move with the new arena (which I am very excited to see). I am also excited for the two new assistants knoblauch got to pick, hopefully it works out well. Lines:
Crisp-McDavid-Brown,
Strome-Fox-Hodgson
Petit-Cairns-Lattavo
Betz-Evans-Wigle
Pelech-Import
McDowell-Trade
Raddysh-Abraham/Donnay/Saban/Felker/Dermott/Murphy
Dansk-Williams, likely Dekoning as the third goalie

I think Harper should be traded, along with one of our young D-men (Felker,Dermott,Murphy) and a pick for a legit top 4 dman, and we should use our import pick on a dmen as well. This gives us a solid top 4, and Raddysh plus options for the final pair. The connor line gives us a power forward,playmaker, sniper combo. 2nd line can chip in secondary scoring with some grit, and the bottom two lines are pure grittiness. I have no doubt our goaltending will be there with the improved defense and backchecking. Abraham can stay on as an OA to mentor the young D and be a depth guy. He is not much more than a 3rd line dman but he seems to have a lot of character. I am done with Donnay. He doesnt use his size and makes terrible decisions with the puck. He can be dumped as well. Saban would be my favorite to take that final spot, but again we have a ton of youth options and we should make use of them in a trade. Felker, Dermott, Murphy, Saban, and Mayo are all young guys who can be traded for a useful top 4 dman along with Harper, like I stated above. And does anyone know what happened to Riley Robertson?

Old
05-31-2013, 02:33 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Hey guys, new to this board, going to lay out what I think the lineup should look like. Next season is huge for Erie, if it is successful, fans will turn out and there will be no reason for this team to move with the new arena (which I am very excited to see). I am also excited for the two new assistants knoblauch got to pick, hopefully it works out well. Lines:
Crisp-McDavid-Brown,
Strome-Fox-Hodgson
Petit-Cairns-Lattavo
Betz-Evans-Wigle
Pelech-Import
McDowell-Trade
Raddysh-Abraham/Donnay/Saban/Felker/Dermott/Murphy
Dansk-Williams, likely Dekoning as the third goalie

I think Harper should be traded, along with one of our young D-men (Felker,Dermott,Murphy) and a pick for a legit top 4 dman, and we should use our import pick on a dmen as well. This gives us a solid top 4, and Raddysh plus options for the final pair. The connor line gives us a power forward,playmaker, sniper combo. 2nd line can chip in secondary scoring with some grit, and the bottom two lines are pure grittiness. I have no doubt our goaltending will be there with the improved defense and backchecking. Abraham can stay on as an OA to mentor the young D and be a depth guy. He is not much more than a 3rd line dman but he seems to have a lot of character. I am done with Donnay. He doesnt use his size and makes terrible decisions with the puck. He can be dumped as well. Saban would be my favorite to take that final spot, but again we have a ton of youth options and we should make use of them in a trade. Felker, Dermott, Murphy, Saban, and Mayo are all young guys who can be traded for a useful top 4 dman along with Harper, like I stated above. And does anyone know what happened to Riley Robertson?
I am not sure what has happened with Robertson but I can try to ask around. I know he suffered an injury but unless he had another one occur he should have been at the camp a few weeks back.
I like your first two lines but I think Erie needs to trade some of the youth you mentioned for not only a d-man but also solid 3rd/2nd line forward. I know others like Lattavo but I just do not see it. He is big but he is also slow and does not seem to move his feet at quite an OHL level yet. Can he make it one day? Sure he can but based on what I have seen I just do not think he is ready yet. Especially on a team that is looking to be a contender, they need three lines that can score.
Defensively I agree Donnay needs to go. I think Murphy does as well, I always liked his potential but they are not playing him so move him, Donnay, and they also have five second round picks in the next two seasons. I say move Harper, Donnay Murphy, and Felker along with 3 of those draft picks. They should have no problem getting a top 4 d-man and also a depth scoring forward with the assets they have.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:24 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I am not sure what has happened with Robertson but I can try to ask around. I know he suffered an injury but unless he had another one occur he should have been at the camp a few weeks back.
I like your first two lines but I think Erie needs to trade some of the youth you mentioned for not only a d-man but also solid 3rd/2nd line forward. I know others like Lattavo but I just do not see it. He is big but he is also slow and does not seem to move his feet at quite an OHL level yet. Can he make it one day? Sure he can but based on what I have seen I just do not think he is ready yet. Especially on a team that is looking to be a contender, they need three lines that can score.
Defensively I agree Donnay needs to go. I think Murphy does as well, I always liked his potential but they are not playing him so move him, Donnay, and they also have five second round picks in the next two seasons. I say move Harper, Donnay Murphy, and Felker along with 3 of those draft picks. They should have no problem getting a top 4 d-man and also a depth scoring forward with the assets they have.
Lattavo can be a fourth liner imo, I think Betz could maybe be a third liner if he improves his speed and puck handling (I mixed it up in my intial line projection). I agree, move Harper, Donnay, Murphy, Felker, and maybe even Wood or Dermott plus some second round picks, we can easily pick up a solid top 4 dman and another scoring forward to play the 2nd or 3rd line. Also if we wanted strome/mcdavid together the top two could be:
Strome-McDavid-Crisp
Fox-Cairns-Brown
Strome and McDavid would be a sick scoring line with crisp to add grit and protection. Fox-Cairns-Brown work very well together for whatever reason when they played together (ex:the early january game against Sarnia). Lots of options, I am pretty optimistic about this season.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Lattavo can be a fourth liner imo, I think Betz could maybe be a third liner if he improves his speed and puck handling (I mixed it up in my intial line projection). I agree, move Harper, Donnay, Murphy, Felker, and maybe even Wood or Dermott plus some second round picks, we can easily pick up a solid top 4 dman and another scoring forward to play the 2nd or 3rd line. Also if we wanted strome/mcdavid together the top two could be:
Strome-McDavid-Crisp
Fox-Cairns-Brown
Strome and McDavid would be a sick scoring line with crisp to add grit and protection. Fox-Cairns-Brown work very well together for whatever reason when they played together (ex:the early january game against Sarnia). Lots of options, I am pretty optimistic about this season.
I saw this in comments last year, you guys seem to over-estimate the impact young guys can make in your line-up. Expecting Strome (who will be very good) to contribute that much off the get-go is a huge leap.

Not to mention, I don't get how trading that many pieces of your future for one defenceman puts this franchise on the road to sustainable, long-term excellence.

Just my two cents......

Old
05-31-2013, 03:42 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
I saw this in comments last year, you guys seem to over-estimate the impact young guys can make in your line-up. Expecting Strome (who will be very good) to contribute that much off the get-go is a huge leap.

Not to mention, I don't get how trading that many pieces of your future for one defenceman puts this franchise on the road to sustainable, long-term excellence.

Just my two cents......
I'm not "over-estimating" strome's impact. I understand hes not going lit the world on fire, but it's fair to ask him to be a top 6 forward and chip in 40-50 points. The only other rookie potentially in the lineup would be saban. And in regards to your comment about trading young guys, murphy isnt making this team anytime soon, harper is expendable, donnay is expendable, and we have 3 young guys in raddysh, saban, and mayo that wont get traded.

Old
05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
mapleleaf979

Strome will miss games because of U17, but should easily have 50 points. If he is on Mcdavid's line, than I think he will easily get 50. I expect Mcdavid to be 2 points a game player this year. Depending on WJC, subway series, he should approach or crack 100 points.

I think Erie must look at the Strome/Mcdavid duo and give it time. Erie lacks skill and Strome and Mcdavid are the top 2 on that team. I expect this duo to do things that the 96 duo of Bennett and Watson achieve in Kingston. Mcdavid I think will become more of a goal scorer this year. That will be the big difference in Mcdavid this year. U saw at the U18 the goal scoring capabilities he has. The playmaking is always there. But Mcdavid can concentrate more this year on using his speed in the neutral zone and recieve passes from Strome who has the best playmaking skills in the 2013 OHL draft. As well as utilizing them together on the PP, both make the right decisions and will have to be respected.

Old
05-31-2013, 05:02 PM
mapleleaf979

At the same time, seeing what I see from Dylan Strome, he is good enough to build a line around, even in Year 1. I cant seem to stress enough, how much this kid elevates his linemates.

Closed Thread