HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 01:33 PM
  #951
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That sounds like a recipe for another lottery pick. If we buy-out Bryz I would hope we sign sign a veteran on a cheaper and shorter term.
Eh, I don't think it's necessarily a lottery pick waiting to happen, but it is potentially a missed postseason.

I'd risk it to see if we could bring Mason over.

CS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
  #952
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,694
vCash: 156
Now that they've got Mason it doesn't make much sense to sign Sunshine, assuming he's dead-set on skipping the AHL. A vet makes more sense, and Thomas fits that bill...he has a huge ? attached though, since he's old and took a year off.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:39 PM
  #953
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Luongo won't be bought out, so why trade for him and that contract? Luongo is only going to be a nice addition if he is bought out at a cheaper rate, that's not happening.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. I don't see many teams lining up to take on that contract plus giving up assets (even if the value is low). I think it's going to come down to trading Schneider or buying Luongo out.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:42 PM
  #954
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I wouldn't be too sure of that. I don't see many teams lining up to take on that contract plus giving up assets (even if the value is low). I think it's going to come down to trading Schneider or buying Luongo out.
I think Florida will take a chance on him for a b level prospect and a 3rd. They have Ballard and Booth who they probably will buy out. They need to trade Luongo or Schneider, and you have to think it will be Luongo.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:45 PM
  #955
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Eh, I don't think it's necessarily a lottery pick waiting to happen, but it is potentially a missed postseason.

I'd risk it to see if we could bring Mason over.
I'm fairly confident we would be picking inside the top 10 if we went that route.

I would rather sign a vet that could help out Mason.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
  #956
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think Florida will take a chance on him for a b level prospect and a 3rd. They have Ballard and Booth who they probably will buy out. They need to trade Luongo or Schneider, and you have to think it will be Luongo.
I don't know would Florida really be interested in paying $40M for an aging goalie. Markstrom seems to be pretty close to being a starter in this league too.

I think trading Booth would be a little easier than Luongo. Luongo might not get bought out but I don't think it's totally out of the question.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 01:58 PM
  #957
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Now that they've got Mason it doesn't make much sense to sign Sunshine, assuming he's dead-set on skipping the AHL. A vet makes more sense, and Thomas fits that bill...he has a huge ? attached though, since he's old and took a year off.
Outside of his politics, this is the big thing for me.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
  #958
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Outside of his politics, this is the big thing for me.
I don't get the logic? You will take the risk on a player who has never played in the NHL before over a player who took one year off? Lets see Eriksson hasn't played in the NHL for 22 years, while TT hasn't played for one year. I take TT.

Also if we do buy out Bryz and go veteran route, there isn't a better option other than TT. Backstrom most likely will re-sign and that's about it. Hell no to Mike Smith and his price tag.

Same problem can be attached to a young goalie as an old goalie. Wear and tear. TT can play 55 games here with Mason taking the others. With a young goalie like Eriksson you have to worry about over playing him and also his confidence. If he struggles the season is most likely lost. You don't want Mason playing 65 games. With TT you have no problems with confidence.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:05 PM
  #959
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I don't get the logic? You will take the risk on a player who has never played in the NHL before over a player who took one year off? Lets see Eriksson hasn't played in the NHL for 22 years, while TT hasn't played for one year. I take TT.

Also if we do buy out Bryz and go veteran route, there isn't a better option other than TT. Backstrom most likely will re-sign and that's about it. Hell no to Mike Smith and his price tag.
He's played in the NHL yes. But he's still 39 years old. Hasn't played hockey at all in a full calender year. Who's to say he kept in shape? One of the things I noticed about older players, is that they really have to keep up with everyone else more so than younger counter parts. Jagr, Selanne, Recchi, Lidstrom, they all had to keep up their shape just so they could stay good players in the league. Does anyone know anything on what Thomas has been up to since he hasn't played in a full calender year?

Remember, Hasek was thinking of coming back to the NHL in his mid-40s, and I still don't know why people wanted him back. Yes, he is easily one of the best goaltenders ever, but no one would want him since he's that old. How can you even know someone as old as him without playing for a full year can play 55 games? I don't think I can think of a goalie that has been out of the game for that long, at his age, to just come back and play 55 games. That's absurd.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:08 PM
  #960
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,694
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Outside of his politics, this is the big thing for me.
The politics are completely irrelevant. Everyone needs to forget about that. It's a hockey team, not a debate club.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:10 PM
  #961
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The politics are completely irrelevant. Everyone needs to forget about that. It's a hockey team, not a debate club.
And above I stated as to why I don't want him.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  #962
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He's played in the NHL yes. But he's still 39 years old. Hasn't played hockey at all in a full calender year. Who's to say he kept in shape? One of the things I noticed about older players, is that they really have to keep up with everyone else more so than younger counter parts. Jagr, Selanne, Recchi, Lidstrom, they all had to keep up their shape just so they could stay good players in the league. Does anyone know anything on what Thomas has been up to since he hasn't played in a full calender year?
TT has been on record to saying he wants to compete for Olympics, one would think he would stay in shape for that correct?

If TT isn't in shape, I wouldn't want any part of him. It seems like he has stayed in shape and has every intention of playing this year. I'm not worried about that at all.

Even still, if TT isn't an option, I just stick with Bryz. The buyout next year will make more sense to management and also we need his cap relief for the RFA's. Bryz gives us a better chance to win than Eriksson, even though some will probably try to argue that.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  #963
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
I've kind of warmed up to the idea of Thomas. The way I look at it is it can't be any worse than what Bryz gave us this year. It would also be on a cheaper and shorter term. It was also give us more cap room to possibly strengthen other positions.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
  #964
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
TT has been on record to saying he wants to compete for Olympics, one would think he would stay in shape for that correct?

If TT isn't in shape, I wouldn't want any part of him. It seems like he has stayed in shape and has every intention of playing this year. I'm not worried about that at all.

Even still, if TT isn't an option, I just stick with Bryz. The buyout next year will make more sense to management and also we need his cap relief for the RFA's. Bryz gives us a better chance to win than Eriksson, even though some will probably try to argue that.
Bryz gives us a better chance because he's easier to predict because he's an NHL regular. Also, the idea of TT taking over the spots of Quick, Howard and Miller is kind of laughable. Hell, I could see even Anderson taking a spot.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
  #965
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Does anyone know anything on what Thomas has been up to since he hasn't played in a full calender year?
Probably eating hotdogs while wearing the American Flag as a cape while writing his new political manifesto on the absence of morality in modern culture with a shotgun leaned up against his desk as an Obama speech on loops on the laptop next to him; his face enraged as he feverishly pens out his thoughts.

CS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:17 PM
  #966
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Bryz gives us a better chance because he's easier to predict because he's an NHL regular. Also, the idea of TT taking over the spots of Quick, Howard and Miller is kind of laughable. Hell, I could see even Anderson taking a spot.
I just wouldn't count him out right now. Anything can happen in a calendar year. USA isn't going to pick a player based on age or NHL contract, they will choose among the goalie who gives them the best chance to win. To think TT plays and is playing at a high level(which he did before he went on a sabbatical) he will be in the convo.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
  #967
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,689
vCash: 50
i would be willing to take a shot at Thomas on a 1 year deal then another year of Bryzgalov and that ridiculous cap hit. Whats the worse that can happen? Thomas puts up numbers like Bryzgalov?

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:26 PM
  #968
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I just wouldn't count him out right now. Anything can happen in a calendar year. USA isn't going to pick a player based on age or NHL contract, they will choose among the goalie who gives them the best chance to win. To think TT plays and is playing at a high level(which he did before he went on a sabbatical) he will be in the convo.
The last old goalie I can think of that played in the Olympics was Hasek (2006). Who played 9 minutes in total and he was 41 years old at the time. He played 4 years before that in the 2002 Olympics with 4 games, but he was also 37 years old, 2 years younger than the current Thomas. Also, at the time, there was only one other goalie that could take the spot, and that was Cechmanek, which was also his rookie year. Hell, at the time, he didn't even finish one full season yet, so Hasek essentially had no competition that year at being the starting goalie.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
  #969
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
I have no idea why the hell you guys are arguing about the Olympics? I don't think Thomas will make the team but that's mostly because of the depth the US team has at that position.

I really don't see how that relates to why we should sign him or not?


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-20-2013 at 02:39 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
  #970
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I have no idea why the hell you guys are arguing about the Olympics? I don't think Thomas will make the team but that's mostly because of the depth the US team has at that position.

I don't see how that relates to why we should him or not?
He said that Thomas went on record to say he was going to try to be in the Olympics, saying that in response to that he would be possibly trying to keep in shape, but I've heard nothing of him doing anything of the sort of trying to stay in shape and wanting to be back in a starting position.

Actually that is something, has he gone on record to say he wants to come back and be a starter in the NHL?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
  #971
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He said that Thomas went on record to say he was going to try to be in the Olympics, saying that in response to that he would be possibly trying to keep in shape, but I've heard nothing of him doing anything of the sort of trying to stay in shape and wanting to be back in a starting position.

Actually that is something, has he gone on record to say he wants to come back and be a starter in the NHL?
Look back in the thread. This is a link I posted a couple pages back with all the info there. There is a thread on the second page of the trade boards probably. That has all the info.

Yes TT wants to play again, according to those reports.

I wouldn't be talking about him without any reason to think he will come back.

Mainly the reason I brought up the Olympics is to show he still wants to play and is most likely in game shape.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
  #972
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He said that Thomas went on record to say he was going to try to be in the Olympics, saying that in response to that he would be possibly trying to keep in shape, but I've heard nothing of him doing anything of the sort of trying to stay in shape and wanting to be back in a starting position.

Actually that is something, has he gone on record to say he wants to come back and be a starter in the NHL?
I get that part but I don't see why we're arguing wether he'll make the team or not.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:42 PM
  #973
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Look back in the thread. This is a link I posted a couple pages back with all the info there. There is a thread on the second page of the trade boards probably. That has all the info.

Yes TT wants to play again, according to those reports.

I wouldn't be talking about him without any reason to think he will come back.

Mainly the reason I brought up the Olympics is to show he still wants to play and is most likely in game shape.
The reports/info you posted on the thread was several weeks ago and there were no direct links to saying such things on this thread.

And if you're taking Randy Miller's word on him wanting to be here (found it on the Trade section), and him the only one saying he wants to come here, then it's not very reliable at all. Remember, Randy Miller was the one that said we should of traded Couturier for Bishop.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:48 PM
  #974
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The reports/info you posted on the thread was several weeks ago and there were no direct links to saying such things on this thread.

And if you're taking Randy Miller's word on him wanting to be here (found it on the Trade section), and him the only one saying he wants to come here, then it's not very reliable at all. Remember, Randy Miller was the one that said we should of traded Couturier for Bishop.
That was his opinion. He stated that he heard TT wanted to play here. Not his opinion.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-bruins-goalie

Quote:
However, the 38-year-old has told the team, through his agent, Bill Zito, that he wants to play in the NHL next season and also has an interest in representing Team USA at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, according to CSNNewEngland.com.
There are other articles stating the same thing.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
  #975
PayItForward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I just wouldn't count him out right now. Anything can happen in a calendar year. USA isn't going to pick a player based on age or NHL contract, they will choose among the goalie who gives them the best chance to win. To think TT plays and is playing at a high level(which he did before he went on a sabbatical) he will be in the convo.
Thomas wasn't the same in his last season with the Bruins. Still good, just not playing at a spectacular level that he was the season before. I wouldn't count on him for much of anything after taking a season off.

PayItForward is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.