HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Just got told I get to be the goalie for the next 3 weeks at the pick up hockey. Usually I play on an on-call basis. The regular goalie has work commitment going on so I get to take his place. Played hockey last night and it went well. Been working out at the YMCA and I'm hoping to get stronger and faster. I felt faster out there. I just seem to have a problem in these 1 1/2 hour pick up games to play at a 100% all the time. More of a mental issue then anything. Pretty much I'm hoping to keep my GA totals done and learning to play at a 100% intensity all the time.

Old
05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
stocky

Well, not today, but I just got back from being deployed earlier this week.

Today I went to the hockey shop, got my skates sharpened, updated some of my gear, and bought some extra pucks and tape. All in all, a good day.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:13 PM
ShootsWide

Played a game today. Whiffed on a couple good opportunities but still learning. Took a good slap shot in the slot but the goalie saved it. I did managed to get 3 blocked shots in a matter of a minute. 1 off my shin, 1 off my hip, and the last one off my cup. Thank god I was wearing one. 2 of the guys on my team don't wear one. Let's just hope they learn from me.

Old
05-19-2013, 08:49 PM
scryan

Today I...
Met my first pickup-professional, and it wasn't even an actual pickup game.

At a 2 hour stick time, we had lessons at one end, a net at one end, and a net in the neutral zone against the wall facing sideways.

A half rink game broke out on the main net. After they stopped for a break I was asked if I wanted to take over in net (I was taking shots from some kids in the neutral zone, I am new so it was working out decent for both of us). I asked the kids if they wanted to join the game (already a few kids playing in it).

The lesson ended as we were moving the nets, so we got the full ice. The instructors jumped in too.

Lot of little kids on each side. The older players on our side were just trying to set them up and get them to be a part of it.

The childrens Coach who joined in did almost nothing but camp the blue line, waiting for his buddy to steal the puck from a kid and send it down the ice to him. Over 90% of the shots I faced were from this guy. He was playing to the point that he almost hit my water bottle of the net trying to bat pucks out of the air behind me. The few times he was not camping the blue line, the instant he got it he took off full speed leaving all the kids, and most of the rest of the play behind him... By the time the kids caught up he had probably scored.

One of the few times he DID set up a kid, he passed it out to one who was very shaky (you could almost hear how hard he was thinking as he puck handled). When the kid only got part of his one timer he let out a big "Ugggggg!"

I felt so bad, most of the kids left early...

Old
05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
Today I...

At a 2 hour stick time, we had lessons at one end, a net at one end, and a net in the neutral zone against the wall facing sideways.

A half rink game broke out on the main net. After they stopped for a break I was asked if I wanted to take over in net (I was taking shots from some kids in the neutral zone, I am new so it was working out decent for both of us). I asked the kids if they wanted to join the game (already a few kids playing in it).

The lesson ended as we were moving the nets, so we got the full ice. The instructors jumped in too.

Lot of little kids on each side. The older players on our side were just trying to set them up and get them to be a part of it.

The childrens Coach who joined in did almost nothing but camp the blue line, waiting for his buddy to steal the puck from a kid and send it down the ice to him. Over 90% of the shots I faced were from this guy. He was playing to the point that he almost hit my water bottle of the net trying to bat pucks out of the air behind me. The few times he was not camping the blue line, the instant he got it he took off full speed leaving all the kids, and most of the rest of the play behind him... By the time the kids caught up he had probably scored.

One of the few times he DID set up a kid, he passed it out to one who was very shaky (you could almost hear how hard he was thinking as he puck handled). When the kid only got part of his one timer he let out a big "Ugggggg!"

wow, man is that weak. Just awesome that he's coaching, especially kids . . .

Old
05-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Well, not today, but I just got back from being deployed earlier this week.

Today I went to the hockey shop, got my skates sharpened, updated some of my gear, and bought some extra pucks and tape. All in all, a good day.
Welcome back. Glad you're home safe.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:48 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
Today I...

If I were you,after the 3rd time he did that I would just skate out of the net and go to the corner every time he got a breakaway. I can't stand people who try to show off like that.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:12 PM
gosinger

...played roller with a few pieces of gear I hadn't tried before.

Very disappointed about my Jofa 9040 shins, built like tanks but my legs are way to skinny for them, no matter how tight I taped them....

Old
05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And then give him a thumbs up from the corner.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Warranties are only for manufacturers defect. The blade being visible ripped in half right at the toe was pretty clearly not a defect. Sometimes there's wiggle room but I didn't want to bother shipping it (bought it on clearance for under $100) and it was too stiff for me anyway.
They SAY that... but it's completely untrue. As long as you have a valid 30 day receipt and the correct stickers on the stick, they'll take pretty much any kind of broken stick and send you a new one. The one I broke in the boards was CLEARLY not a factory defect (the blade was broken clean in half straight down the middle) and they're about to send me a new APX LE lol.

These companies are REALLY lenient with broken sticks. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone at my rink being rejected for that matter...

Old
05-20-2013, 05:29 PM
wondeROY

Saw one of the funniest moments at a drop in game i've seen in a while. On the bench is me and about 4 other guys, at the far end of the bench is an older lady (late 50s?) with her digital camera trying to get photos of the action. I find out from her she is taking photos for a photography class assignment. She continues shooting and I jump on the ice for my shift.

Several moments later I'm back on the bench and the kid next to me says something to her and she says "oh i'm just trying to get some photos for a photography class I'm in"...he stares at her for a second and says "who are you trying to get", she turns to him and says "two of my sons are here playing hockey, but I'm just trying to capture anyone that I can, this is difficult to capture!"

He looks at her dumbfounded and says...."MOM"...."I'm right here"

She turned bright red and laughed, and said something about him being gone for too long. Apparently she didn't recognize her own son from 6 feet away with a helmet on. (no visor or cage either lol)

I had a good laugh at the bench anyways.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:03 PM
TheeNorthStar

Old
05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
And then give him a thumbs up from the corner.
lol

Actually better then that, there was a kid on my team who just started playing Bantom B.
Nice that he was old enough to be good, and young enough that he could go as hard as possible against this guy with out being faulted...

He couldn't handle the adult every time, but he made a few pretty nice defensive plays to shut the guy down. After I skated out to him, gave him a fist bump and told him he was "killing it" he said he would just hang back and play D. He was able to mess up the dudes play maybe half the time... I figured nothing better to smack the guy who wants to dunk over kids with then a kid who can strip the puck from him.

My older brother was there too, he was a B level bantom player as well until he burnt out as a teen... He put down some serious defense too, definitely dove through a few passing lanes, but he is out of (hockey) shape relative to guys who play all the time, and wasn't wearing a chest protector so he could only do too much. The pro definitely did not appreciate my brother knocking his stick up when they were going after the puck... But was funny to watch someone mirror the pros intensity level and them get huffy about it.

It was more funny then anything for the first bit... But then I felt a bit bad seeing so many of the kids leave (since I was the one who asked them if they wanted to turn the stick time into practice game). And while I didn't mind getting lit up, it did get a little repetitive having the same guy bait me into going butterfly, then chipping it up just under the crossbar over and over and over...

I should have said something, or done the step away and present the goal if he wants it that bad... But I was hoping they would tire of it, and I didn't want to cause problems and annoy the guys on my team who were trying and didn't need a goalie skating away.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Second game in a row I played center alternating with one other guy with three sets of wingers. Good for my lungs and conditioning.

Honestly it wasn't until the third period of last game that I finally realized I should stay a little higher and play more like a third defenseman rather than trying to forecheck like a winger. I kind of hope I'm playing center again next game to try it out.

Also, had some rare nice hand-eye coordination. Tipped a point shot for a goal high blocker and knocked the defenseman's clearing attempt down and immediately got a shot off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
They SAY that... but it's completely untrue. As long as you have a valid 30 day receipt and the correct stickers on the stick, they'll take pretty much any kind of broken stick and send you a new one. The one I broke in the boards was CLEARLY not a factory defect (the blade was broken clean in half straight down the middle) and they're about to send me a new APX LE lol.

These companies are REALLY lenient with broken sticks. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone at my rink being rejected for that matter...
Yeah if I would do it again I would send it in and get the new stick.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Frankie Spankie

Well not today but yesterday, I got news that this terrible player that we're all convinced suffered some kind of serious brain damage has finally been traded. No more him hanging at the opposing team's blue line all game long, no more 5 minute shifts, no more slapshots from behind the net, no more making nothing out of something from him! Hoooooraayyy!!! I don't remember the last time I was so excited to go to a game in this league.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lady Justice

vCash: 564
Last night, I injured my knee as we lost 8-2.

Out for 2-3 weeks. Oh well.

05-21-2013, 03:26 PM
HamDangled

Today I worked out, did laundry, and mowed the lawn. Cousin is coming over for dinner and then some Tuesday night pickup hockey may be in order. All in all a pretty decent day off.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:34 PM
HamDangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsWide View Post
Played a game today. Whiffed on a couple good opportunities but still learning. Took a good slap shot in the slot but the goalie saved it. I did managed to get 3 blocked shots in a matter of a minute. 1 off my shin, 1 off my hip, and the last one off my cup. Thank god I was wearing one. 2 of the guys on my team don't wear one. Let's just hope they learn from me.
Going without one is a really bad idea. I've only ever done it once when I forgot mine and thought "what are the odds." Whatever the odds were they were against me because I got one right in the pills. Didn't tickle.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Malarowski

Haha I decided that I didn't need a cup since we never have goalies at that clinic and usually don't shoot much.

Go figure, two goalies show up and we're practicing screening and deflections...Worked out luckily though, only took one of the shin.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:56 AM
TheeNorthStar

Tonight I scored a goal almost exactly like Nyquist's goal last night. Funny thing is , when i beat the dman to a loose puck, i was like, im going to try the same exact move on the 2nd defender,.. except he wiped out and lost an edge. So all i had to do turn towards the middle of the ice, skate towards the net and and out wait the goalie and put it in. Felt good

Old
05-22-2013, 03:06 AM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

By far the worst game of hockey I've ever played yesterday. First shift I took an errant high stick from my own teammate to the jaw, then the next half of the game every play was too soft, or just a few inches too far away. By the time I got my own crap together everyone else decided they didn't want to play and almost every pass out of your own zone resulted in a breakaway. I know it was essentially drop in hockey but if everyone is paying $20 and committed to it in advance I expected a bit more quality.

Also does anybody find when they play with a stick too short for them that they have trouble taking snap shots? I can't wait to get my Base stick soon.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:27 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

Today I was two handed in the back of the head in front of the ref. I feel down obviously, and there guy tripped over me after he two handed me. I went to the box for holding, but he didn't. I asked the ref I didn't know I could hold laying face down on the ice after being hit. He said I didn't call his crosscheck because you are up by 2 with 1 minute to go. I am trying to stop a fight from happening. GREAT LOGIC

Old
05-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Jisatsu

Today I cut down my roommates un-used warrior dolomite stick he gave me. I'm used to hall/sakic curves and 5.5 lies, this is a kovalchuk and 4.0 lie. I'm also used to grip sticks, this is the clear one, so tomorrows stick and puck will be an adventure. I'm deciding to venture out and try new things. Figured this is a good start.

Also, took off my oakley half mask and put on my old itech one. I've had the oakley for about a year now, and I've absolutely hated it. I might try to trade it for a bunch of pucks or new socks or something at the LHS.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Kovalchuk is probably between 5 and 5.5 lie in Easton terms.

I just picked up a P88 (VERY close) coming from a P92 the last few years and I'm really liking it. Much easier to control passes and keep shots low.

Old
05-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Frankie Spankie

Played my first game in this league without the idiot on my team. I don't remember seeing that many smiles from this team in a long time before, during, and after the game.

Played so much better as a team too. The other team was missing some of their best players but so were we, we won something like 11-3. I don't think I shot the puck once in the second half of the game, I was just looking for some of the players who have only really been skating for like a year or two to try to set them up for goals since they don't get to score often.

Closed Thread