HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An interesting Ref's comment.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:53 AM
varanger94

vCash: 500
An interesting Ref's comment.

I watched the game late last night. I don’t know if it was discussed, but I was livid at what Dan O’Hallaran said to Torts at the end of the second period. After Callahan checked Boychuk, Boychuk retaliated by punching Callahan in the face, right in front of the Rangers bench and O’hallaran. Torts was screaming at O’hallaran and Maguire said O’hallaran’s response was “ Hey, what are you mad at, that’s the way you like the game played.” Boston scores in the first minute of the third period. We should have been on the PP . So is that why he didn’t make the call. Or is there a rule book that dictates when a call should be made. O’Hallaran sounds like he has a personal grudge against Torts. Maybe Dan shouldn’t be able to Ref any Ranger games in the future, if calling a game is determined by what a Ref thinks of a Coach. Of coarse there was no comment from NBC in between periods. Two seconds on the game analysis , 5 min. on the rest of the playoffs and usually followed by a story on Cindy Crosby for the remainder of intermission.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:44 PM
CostaTheCrazyGreek

Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
One more reason why I REFUSE to give the NHL any of my money.

CostaTheCrazyGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:47 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

same exact thoughts. Torts should send recording to NHL... oh who am I kidding.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
I watched the game late last night. I don’t know if it was discussed, but I was livid at what Dan O’Hallaran said to Torts at the end of the second period. After Callahan checked Boychuk, Boychuk retaliated by punching Callahan in the face, right in front of the Rangers bench and O’hallaran. Torts was screaming at O’hallaran and Maguire said O’hallaran’s response was “ Hey, what are you mad at, that’s the way you like the game played.” Boston scores in the first minute of the third period. We should have been on the PP . So is that why he didn’t make the call. Or is there a rule book that dictates when a call should be made. O’Hallaran sounds like he has a personal grudge against Torts. Maybe Dan shouldn’t be able to Ref any Ranger games in the future, if calling a game is determined by what a Ref thinks of a Coach. Of coarse there was no comment from NBC in between periods. Two seconds on the game analysis , 5 min. on the rest of the playoffs and usually followed by a story on Cindy Crosby for the remainder of intermission.
Everytime O’hallaran refs a Rangers game i cringe. Guy always call a terrible game. Easily one of of my most disliked referees.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Dactyl

that comment proves he saw cally get punched and blatantly chose to not call it. this leagues refs are such bs its a joke.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

The greatest part about yesterday's game was Brassard having his stick chopped right in front of the goal line referee, who was staring right at the play. The blue line referee made the call. Incredible.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
SnowblindNYR

Yeah I heard that but didn't post how disgusting it was. Sounds like it's an agenda that he has. Basically calling it that way because the Rangers supposedly do those things and it also seems like he has something against Torts.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
The greatest part about yesterday's game was Brassard having his stick chopped right in front of the goal line referee, who was staring right at the play. The blue line referee made the call. Incredible.
was that o'hallaran who didnt make the call?

Old
05-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
was that o'hallaran who didnt make the call?
After google imaging O'Hallaran, yes it was.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowes Line View Post
After google imaging O'Hallaran, yes it was.
wtf? those 2 calls should be enough to make a strong case for the league holding refs responsible and allowing challenges from coaches

Old
05-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

I'm not saying O' Halloran is right, but this is the kind of stuff that happens when you have a coach that just about everyone in the league hates.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:51 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Yeah I heard that but didn't post how disgusting it was. Sounds like it's an agenda that he has. Basically calling it that way because the Rangers supposedly do those things and it also seems like he has something against Torts.
That ref should be fired... seriously... I think even Chara knew he was going to get called, and it took an extra 3-5 seconds for the CENTER ICE REFEREE to make the call..

****ing dickhole. The guy should never ref another game these playoffs

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

The only way to make on-ice officials irrelevant... Play better ******* hockey.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:58 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'm not saying O' Halloran is right, but this is the kind of stuff that happens when you have a coach that just about everyone in the league hates.
im pretty sure that by most accounts Torts actually has a very good relationship with the refs

Sam and joe have spoken about it on more than one occasion.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

On the Brassard stick call...

if the ref looked away at something else, even for a second, to see what was going on in the slot, he would've missed that the stick was broken. It immediately wedged back to the point where it looked whole. I had to see the replay to realize that the stick actually broke right in the middle, having assumed it was one of those ones up by the hands when Brassard picked it up.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:00 PM
bucckevin

play better. refs didn't make them lose. they were 0-5 on the pp in game 2. the hit by the rangers player was high and super late, the retaliation was nothing, so the ref let it go.

bucckevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:06 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im pretty sure that by most accounts Torts actually has a very good relationship with the refs

Sam and joe have spoken about it on more than one occasion.
Sam and Joe often comment about it. You really don't hear Torts say anything bad about the Refs in his Press conferences. Even yesterday he didn't say anything about O'Hallaran.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

if the ref looked away at something else, even for a second, to see what was going on in the slot, he would've missed that the stick was broken. It immediately wedged back to the point where it looked whole. I had to see the replay to realize that the stick actually broke right in the middle, having assumed it was one of those ones up by the hands when Brassard picked it up.
And upon watching the replay, he was watching the play the whole time.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucckevin View Post
play better. refs didn't make them lose. they were 0-5 on the pp in game 2. the hit by the rangers player was high and super late, the retaliation was nothing, so the ref let it go.
It's not about winning and losing. It's about the principle. The refereeing in this league is ****ed.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Once he didn't make the initial call, he COULDN'T turn around and call it once Torts started yelling at him. For an official to change his decision based on a coach yelling at him would be end of the official. The opposing coach would start getting on him, and every single call would be challenged and questioned.

He should have made the call. He shouldn't have said anything back to Torts, and if he did, it should have been "I didn't see a punch", or "It wasn't a penalty". By saying what he said, he invited doubt into his officiating.

At this point, it's a nonissue. We're not Caps fans.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:10 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Nobody is saying that the Refs made them lose. The comment is the problem. The retaliation was a punch in the face.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:12 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Just about everyone on HFNYR =/= Just about everyone in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Once he didn't make the initial call, he COULDN'T turn around and call it once Torts started yelling at him. For an official to change his decision based on a coach yelling at him would be end of the official. The opposing coach would start getting on him, and every single call would be challenged and questioned.

He should have made the call. He shouldn't have said anything back to Torts, and if he did, it should have been "I didn't see a punch", or "It wasn't a penalty". By saying what he said, he invited doubt into his officiating.

At this point, it's a nonissue. We're not Caps fans.
I agree with this. The ref made a dumb comment, but no ref is going to change a call based on getting yelled at, doesn't matter by who.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:23 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Even if the Rangers won, you don't think what the Ref said is a huge problem? What's the point in watching the damn game if the Refs just dictate how the game is going to be played based on their mood?

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:25 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Irrelevant.

the issue of the thread is.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:26 PM
MTrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post

Well that would be his mistake too. That would be the other refs job to be picking up the play away from the puck. Not sure why he would look away when a player is looking for a takeaway on the puck carrier.

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote