HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

May 19 • Bronze Medal Game • Finland vs. USA (stats in post #2)

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
It was still a team full of NHL players. I think it was supposed to handle teams full of nobodies like Finland...

I was sure that Finland would pull it off, they were so good for the last three periods. Nevertheless, scores do count, not real or perceived dominance on ice. Therefore, congrats for the bronze!
More of a gray area; it was a team of some good dmen and a lot of NHL grinders. On a larger ice surface, usually I'll take a more skilled team from another league.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:38 AM
651*

Highlights?

Old
05-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

It's a big deal for me, because the U.S. never does well at this tournament, they sent some average players but were able to medal over stronger sides like Russia and Canada.

More than that, the team actually looked enthusiastic to win the bronze. That is the sort of energy, coupled with modesty that the U.S. needs to approach these tournaments with. Players should want to play for their country every year.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Mehar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto View Post
In regular season games there could still be the shootout, but you wouldn't get any points from it. Amount of SO wins would just be the next tie-breaker after the amount of wins (ROW). In practice both teams would get one point from a game decided by shootout.
I can agree with that. I am not saying there should be no Shootouts at all. Shootouts in the Preliminary games of the WC make sense. However, it sucks that when a medal is on the line- Gold, Silver and Bronze, the game is determined by an individual Skills Competition in an Ultimate Team Sport such as Hockey. It is what it is. Maybe they can make the OT 20 Minutes in the Bronze Medal Game as well. That OT was great to watch, and i am just a guy who is not a fan of a Gimmick like a Shootout determining a Medal. Others disagree, and i respect their opinion. Congrats to the USA. My Darkhouse Pick for GOLD in Sochi.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:33 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
It was still a team full of NHL players. I think it was supposed to handle teams full of nobodies like Finland...

I was sure that Finland would pull it off, they were so good for the last three periods. Nevertheless, scores do count, not real or perceived dominance on ice. Therefore, congrats for the bronze!
you might want to recheck that.

our #1 goalie played in the CHL this year

this was hardly a team full of NHLers...

Old
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
you might want to recheck that.

our #1 goalie played in the CHL this year

this was hardly a team full of NHLers...
At least Finnish TV said that you have 18 NHL'ers at least. And gibbson is great, better than your NHL goalie Bishop

Old
05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
At least Finnish TV said that you have 18 NHL'ers at least. And gibbson is great, better than your NHL goalie Bishop
It's funny, really. Americans consider their team weak, whereas if Finland had the same amount of equally skilled NHLers in their squad, pretty much everybody would consider them a championship favorite.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
It's funny, really. Americans consider their team weak, whereas if Finland had the same amount of equally skilled NHLers in their squad, pretty much everybody would consider them a championship favorite.
This is simply not true. As someone said above, I would choose skilled European players before NHL bottom grinders for this tournament. Team USA was (mostly) grinders + one rookie and a couple of junior players (Trouba, Gibson). Nothing like a strong team on paper.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Hesher
down in a hole

vCash: 2687
Well done USA. Who knows, Sacco maybe isn't completely useless after all...

Old
05-20-2013, 04:27 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
This is simply not true. As someone said above, I would choose skilled European players before NHL bottom grinders for this tournament. Team USA was (mostly) grinders + one rookie and a couple of junior players (Trouba, Gibson). Nothing like a strong team on paper.
Yes it's true. While Team USA had nothing like their best talent up and about, their top-six still consisted of no pushovers. Stastny, Smith, Bjugstad, Oshie, Galchenyuk and Moss for example are no pushovers, but 2nd line material in most of their respective teams. Sure, they aren't superstars, but very much in par of all the Ruutus, Jokinens, and Filppulas we have (and best note that I'm not dissing our own players, but complimenting the Americans'). And if we had had M.Koivu, T.Ruutu, J.Jokinen and Filppula on top of Granlund and Korpikoski and some grinders like Komarov, Hartikainen and Petrell to man the bottom units - AND even half the defense USA had, many would have considered it an insanely stacked Team Finland.

But you're speaking apples and oranges anyway, since pointing this out and saying that skilled Europeans shouldn't sometimes make it instead of these guys are not mutually exclusive arguments. In fact, I agree with the notion that an NHL status does not make a messiah. I was quite sated with the way some of our euro guys played and would not mind them making the olympic squad either. But still, if Finland had had the number NHL players of USA's level, many would have considered them a huge favorite.

Last edited by FiLe: 05-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Closed Thread