HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Nitehowl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Comparable ? Lucic or Hartnell ?
maybe Horton or Ryder

Old
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Comparable ? Lucic or Hartnell ?
Maybe Hartnell wold be a good comparable... Personally, I'd go with a bigger version of Gallagher. Although, he's not as elusive of a skater. He has really good hands, a heavy and quick wrister, he's a good forechecker and he seems to have a good hockey IQ.

He's a kind of player that will thrive playing with great puck possession players (Hey, we have that ?!?!?!!)

Old
05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
1G for sure. The rest...it could be BPA if that theory really exist....
BPA is a interesting term...I am sure whether picking at 25 or say 36 if you collected every teams list there would be a dozen or more with a different player to pick next.

There is no ONE master list ...Every team emphasizes different qualities in scouting

Old
05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Yea I hope he can become an offensive threat. I wouldnt mind us picking him I just hope he doesnt become a Jason Arnott type player.
What? Getting an Arnott type player with a late 1st rounder would be fantastic. Unless you are thinking of the last years of Arnott's career.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
LW - Hill 6'6 225 C - Hayden 6'3 210 RW - McCarron 6'5 228
RW - Fasching 6'2 215
LW - Moutrey 6'2 210

D - Diaby 6'5 223

possibly with our top 6 picks
Geez this board is nutso...you can't mention any small players or any big players without everyone jumping up and down saying NOOOOOOOO

Guess the answer for MB is just draft everyone that is average height/weight so lets make a list of all players 5'11.5 and 190lbs.....that should make everyone happy

Old
05-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yea I hope he can become an offensive threat. I wouldnt mind us picking him I just hope he doesnt become a Jason Arnott type player. But if he does indeed start scorning at a good clip he will be really good.
You'd rather have him develop into a Jay McClement?

If you can get a guy with Arnott's career at #25(+- 1-2 picks) it's highway robbery at taht stage of the draft...6'5" center with 938 points and 1242 PIMs in 1244 games.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
BPA is a interesting term...I am sure whether picking at 25 or say 36 if you collected every teams list there would be a dozen or more with a different player to pick next.

There is no ONE master list ...Every team emphasizes different qualities in scouting
That's why you should pick YOUR BPA...who your scouts and head scout think will be the best pro asset/player in 4-5 and 10 years.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:42 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I watched the USNTDP - Chicago games online, Hill's first game that they lost and played them again about 3 weeks later. Chicago won that game and McCarron was a ghost in that game, but Hill and Hayden impressed. A friend set things up through Toronto - LA so my IP comes up as a States IP which gives all the programming they have.
Just a question for you, who do you really want with the 3 first picks?

I would personnaly love Zykov/Erne/Mantha in the 1st and guys like Klimchuk, De La Rose, McCarron or Compher in the 2nd.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

I would personnaly love Zykov/Erne/Mantha in the 1st and guys like Klimchuk, De La Rose, McCarron or Compher in the 2nd.
Erne would be a steal at #25. I don't see Compher reaching the 2nd round, I see him going in the 15-23 range.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:08 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
What truly is creepy are the people that run down players they haven't seen play. Size is a huge consideration for those Hab fans that have watched their players getting their heads pounded and bleeding profusely, yet still say oh we can always get big guys for a couple of talented players. The thought astounds one, that it takes two talented players for one big guy, but don't ever draft one that could be better. The really good big guys don't get traded and certainly go ahead and send Pacioretty and a couple of good prospects to get one.

Who am I to talk this way, obviously it's much better to watch your players get beaten any given game than draft someone that can stop the bleeding.
The really good big guys are rare...you know, those who are big, skilled and mean. Sure it's nice when you draft one of them, but the odds are so against the teams. I'd like to have one of those super good big player, but in reality, we will probably not get one even if we draft only big players. Is McCaron really good? Not sure about it...I'd take someone else.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
You'd rather have him develop into a Jay McClement?

If you can get a guy with Arnott's career at #25(+- 1-2 picks) it's highway robbery at taht stage of the draft...6'5" center with 938 points and 1242 PIMs in 1244 games.
Woops my bad. I just remembered last year's Arnott.

Old
05-20-2013, 12:47 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Sometimes it's difficult to remember the Habs are picking 25th. The chance of getting a gamebreaker at that position is very low. Would I be thrilled with Gauthier? No, but if he becomes a solid NHL regular, it'll be a good pick.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Sometimes it's difficult to remember the Habs are picking 25th. The chance of getting a gamebreaker at that position is very low. Would I be thrilled with Gauthier? No, but if he becomes a solid NHL regular, it'll be a good pick.
That's a very good point. I'd consider us going the safer route with our 1st (i.e. Gauthier, Mccoshen, Hartman) and taking some of the higher risk players with our 2nds (i.e. Burakowsky, Carrier, Morin etc.). I'd be very happy if we got Gauthier with our first.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:

BPA for each and every team. Not THE BPA. Yet, I will rarely believe it's the case. We have the best head scout in the business and yet, he admitted in 2006-2007 that needs were important...making them his BPA's....It's really a term that means so much. If a guy is THAT much superior and even if you don't have a real need now...of course you'll pick him. But more often than not, the gap won't be THAT big. And chances are you have needs everywhere anyway.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=17733

NHL draft combine list

Old
05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
These 3 don't even play a similar game. Unless you're awkwardly trying to say that he doesn't hit. Zykov is agile but not blazing fast and he's shown grit more than all 3 of those.
I compared Zykov skills with them and also where they were ranked at their draft year.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Is there a rule I don't know about....but a notable admission for me would be Tyler Hill. No Matt Murphy is surprising for me too. Guy was suppose to be on top of everyone's list, fell quite a lot, if I'm a team, I'd like to know what else but his play might be wrong with him, if there's something wrong.

The list I want to know now is....the Habs list. You know the Habs list, you pretty much know who we will pick. Tons of players picked have participated in that combine. While the Q is always well represented for, let's call it, public relations...., it's the other names in the list that is most likely interesting.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
That

McCarron, for me anyways, has to be one of the most intriguing players in the draft, not only due his skillset, but his situation. I'd really like him to come to the OHL if the Habs draft him... If he goes to the NCAA, he'll get to hone his skills for a long time, which is fantastic, but I think he could be much better off with London. London is a great franchise that produced lots of talents. He'll be surrounded a roster that not only could use his talents, but I honestly think he is the final piece that could put the Knights over the top (if they aren't already). They could use a big, strong player who wreaks havoc along the boards, is willing to drop the gloves, and can put the puck in the back of the net regularity. I'm not too familiar with Michigan State as I mostly just watch the Habs prospects play in the NCAA, but they got good contributions from their young players, so I don't think he'll be getting that big of a role with them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he'll be forced the play the role in London that the Habs could want him to play if gets drafted by them and I just don't think he will get to play that role in NCAA.

Old
05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
McCarron, for me anyways, has to be one of the most intriguing players in the draft, not only due his skillset, but his situation. I'd really like him to come to the OHL if the Habs draft him... If he goes to the NCAA, he'll get to hone his skills for a long time, which is fantastic, but I think he could be much better off with London. London is a great franchise that produced lots of talents. He'll be surrounded a roster that not only could use his talents, but I honestly think he is the final piece that could put the Knights over the top (if they aren't already). They could use a big, strong player who wreaks havoc along the boards, is willing to drop the gloves, and can put the puck in the back of the net regularity. I'm not too familiar with Michigan State as I mostly just watch the Habs prospects play in the NCAA, but they got good contributions from their young players, so I don't think he'll be getting that big of a role with them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he'll be forced the play the role in London that the Habs could want him to play if gets drafted by them and I just don't think he will get to play that role in NCAA.

Also London will be hosting the Memorial Cup next year

Old
05-20-2013, 02:57 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Michigan State would be good if he was 6'5 190lbs. Then he could try and add weight to his frame. But McCarron is already 220lbs, he needs to focus on his hockey and using his size effectively. It'll also be nice to have Dale Hunter turn him into a SOB, as he's done with many players before.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:01 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
This is true but of course at this time, there are a lot of tantalizing guys around that spot. Lots of guys who look like future power forward studs or 40 goal scorers or first pairing defensemen. Time has a way of being cruel to those projections, however

I don't know, I've just never been excited by Gauthier at any point this year...I see him compared a lot to Martin Hanzal, which is fine, but you can always trade for a Hanzal or sign them in free agency. That's why I'll always prefer to trying to reach for something more with a first rounder.

Like I said before, with 3 early picks, we can afford to not play it so safe IMO.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post

Well Erne and Mantha will probably be taken and Zykov has been ranked as the 3rd best in the QMJHL, so they may not be there to pick,that said all three are good picks. Klimchuk and McCarron are most likely to be available,McCarron equaled Compher in scoring for the USNTDP and has huge upside and Western Michigan's program is 2nd to none,now. So any of DeLarose,Klimchuk or McCarron out of the choices would be the best. I'm sorry the players I really want with the first 3 picks are Burakowsky, Gauthier, and Morin/Hayden, I know that's 4 picks but Burakowsky will probably be taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
The really good big guys are rare...you know, those who are big, skilled and mean. Sure it's nice when you draft one of them, but the odds are so against the teams. I'd like to have one of those super good big player, but in reality, we will probably not get one even if we draft only big players. Is McCaron really good? Not sure about it...I'd take someone else.
Well he's definitely got game and given the full college term, I believe he will be an NHLer and a good PF. As far as defending teammates and fighting he's an enigma. I hope that helps.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:05 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Well Erne and Mantha will probably be taken and Zykov has been ranked as the 3rd best in the QMJHL, so they may not be there to pick,that said all three are good picks. Klimchuk and McCarron are most likely to be available,McCarron equaled Compher in scoring for the USNTDP and has huge upside and Western Michigan's program is 2nd to none,now. So any of DeLarose,Klimchuk or McCarron out of the choices would be the best.

Well he's definitely got game and given the full college term, I believe he will be an NHLer and a good PF. As far as defending teammates and fighting he's an enigma. I hope that helps.
On the first page you said McCarron was a ND until the 3rd round...

Old
05-20-2013, 03:12 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
On the first page you said McCarron was a ND until the 3rd round...
I also said that's sour grapes, due to the hype he's received lately and may be taken way earlier than I expected. I'm a bad loser when it comes to the Habs, always have been.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
I'm not too familiar with Michigan State as I mostly just watch the Habs prospects play in the NCAA, but they got good contributions from their young players, so I don't think he'll be getting that big of a role with them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he'll be forced the play the role in London that the Habs could want him to play if gets drafted by them and I just don't think he will get to play that role in NCAA.
He's committed to Western Michigan, where Habs prospect Mike Cichy plays. It's a bit confusing because he was originally supposed to go to Michigan State, but he changed his mind.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mike-mccarron/

In November 2012 he announced that he would play college hockey at Western Michigan instead of Michigan State

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticl...CLID=205819634

Quote:
The Western Michigan hockey program and head coach Andy Murray have announced the signing of nine student-athletes to national letters of intent to play hockey at WMU on Tuesday afternoon.

Chris Dienes (Traverse City, Mich./Fargo Force, USHL), Sheldon Dries (Macomb, Mich./Green Bay Gamblers, USHL), Aaron Hadley (Castlegar, B.C./Vernon Vipers, BCHL), Michael McCarron (Macomb, Mich./USNTDP U-18, USHL), Mike McKee (Newmarket, Ont./Lincoln Stars, USHL), Sam Mellor (Cranbrook, B.C./Penticton Vees, BCHL), Kyle Novak (O’Fallon, Mo./Green Bay Gamblers, USHL), Michael Rebry (Clear Creek, Ont./Penticton Vees, BCHL) and Paul Stoykewych (Winnipeg, Man./Winnipeg Blues, MJHL) have all pledged their futures to the Broncos.

Tinordi was supposed to be headed to Notre Dame when we drafted him, then he changed his mind a few weeks later. McCarron was seen at the London-Barrie Game 5, so clearly he's still thinking about London. If the NHL team that picks him wants him to go to London, I'd guess it's likely to happen.

Closed Thread