HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
This is the tweet from Randy Miller:

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...17099820859392

Quote:
For what's it worth, i heard this week Tim Thomas wants to play for Flyers in '13-14. Also heard Flyers recently discussed Ryan Miller
He heard that he wants to play for the Flyers. Did Thomas outright say this? Are there any other sources other than Miller on this subject or is he alone on this whole thing?

Old
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post

He heard that he wants to play for the Flyers. Did Thomas outright say this? Are there any other sources other than Miller on this subject or is he alone on this whole thing?
Obviously he is reporting what he hears from his sources. I feel like to make you believe that TT wants to play, I need to go interview him myself. I will post it on here when I get the video. I have supplied plenty to prove TT wants to give it a shot again as far as we know.

I understand you like Bryz, but he has been terrible. There are a few of you who will defend him till he is gone, and the sooner the better. TT on a one year deal is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryz. I can't put it any more simple than that.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:14 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Obviously he is reporting what he hears from his sources. I feel like to make you believe that TT wants to play, I need to go interview him myself. I will post it on here when I get the video. I have supplied plenty to prove TT wants to give it a shot again as far as we know.

I understand you like Bryz, but he has been terrible. There are a few of you who will defend him till he is gone, and the sooner the better. TT on a one year deal is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryz. I can't put it any more simple than that.
I like his personality and honestly, I'd rather give him one more year before we buy him out. I admit when Bryz does something outright stupid, but I still believe he is his own worst critic, and it sometimes shows. And guess what, if we did buy off Bryz at the end of next season, it is basically a one year contract. Also, the goalie pool is WAY better in the next offseason. Lundy, Miller, Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Biron, and so on. I'm not saying Biron should be our starter, but I still would like him as a back up possibly. And this isn't even including a good list of RFA goalies that off-season as well. I'd say we should stick with what we have in goal for right now, see how both goalies do and make the decision either at the trade deadline or in the off-season (if we could trade off Bryz maybe in some miracle of a trade).

Old
05-20-2013, 03:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I value their ability to stop the puck over their personality. That's something Bryz can't do. If it's a one year deal I'm giving Thomas a shot. I also think Thomas would be a way better mentor to Mason than Bryz.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I value their ability to stop the puck over their personality. That's something Bryz can't do. If it's a one year deal I'm giving Thomas a shot. I also think Thomas would be a way better mentor to Mason than Bryz.
Honestly, I think with how Reese is (supposedly), I think mentoring is something that Reese wouldn't allow. I dunno, just a weird feeling...

Old
05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Pass on Miller, really don't want him on the Flyers.

I'm all for Timmy T to join the Flyers for a year, who knows if he'll be elite? At this point I'd take mostly any goaltender to get Bryz outta here.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I'd like to represent the US at the Olympics too. That doesn't mean I will. I am pretty sure Quick and Anderson get a nod over Thomas.

05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Honestly, I think with how Reese is (supposedly), I think mentoring is something that Reese wouldn't allow. I dunno, just a weird feeling...
Im sorry to be going after all your posts, but what the hell are you even trying to say??

TT will have all the ability to mentor Mason in the locker room, at home, going out for ice cream, etc..... Jeff Reese job is to help them with problems they are having positionally and so on. Are you saying TT won't be allowed to give Mason some of his knowledge and advice? That's crazy. You know TT brings Stanley cup winning pedigree, any coach will love that on his team, especially in net.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I like his personality and honestly, I'd rather give him one more year before we buy him out. I admit when Bryz does something outright stupid, but I still believe he is his own worst critic, and it sometimes shows. And guess what, if we did buy off Bryz at the end of next season, it is basically a one year contract. Also, the goalie pool is WAY better in the next offseason. Lundy, Miller, Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Biron, and so on. I'm not saying Biron should be our starter, but I still would like him as a back up possibly. And this isn't even including a good list of RFA goalies that off-season as well. I'd say we should stick with what we have in goal for right now, see how both goalies do and make the decision either at the trade deadline or in the off-season (if we could trade off Bryz maybe in some miracle of a trade).
I think it does come down to money though. We have a few spots that need upgrading (I personally feel that we need another top 4 defender and a top 9 winger). If you can sign TT to a contract less than Bryz and save money (even with the buying out of Briere), I'd do it. Maybe it gives us some room to make other trades for another defender or forward. Having cap space on a team that has alot of money gives way for some trades (sadly smart and stupid ones).

Now I wont say Im a Bryz hater, but looking at the facts, he has been average to below average in 2 straight seasons. We split him with Bob and he doesnt play enough is the excuse. Now Bob is gone and we play him alot and he plays too much is the excuse now. Bryz was sheltered behind a great system in Phoenix where they limit the amount of high percentage shots on goal. Bryz will not have that here. I do think it's time to move on. A Thomas-Mason pairing is a pretty solid pairing, you can maybe save money, and upgrade other parts of the team. Even if they might not be an UPGRADE over Bryz, it's still a win-win scenario as we get rid of a long contract and a semi-expensive one and pick up a smaller contract on a hopefully one non-as-expensive year deal.

Old
05-20-2013, 03:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
That literally makes no sense. Teams are always getting veterans to help out with their young goaltenders. Having a guy like Thomas is basically like having an assistant goalie coach. Reese would be out of a job if he didn't allow the goalies to bounce ideas of one another.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-20-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old
05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
That literally makes no sense. Goalies have always helped one another out in this league. Having a guy like Thomas is basically like having an assistant goalie coach.
I always thought that Reese was very adamant on teaching his goalies the way he wants to, not what others say. Whatever.

Either way, if we got rid of both Bryz and Briere this off-season, what the hell do we do with the extra money left over? Especially if Mez is gone, we would have freed up 16.166667 million... and for what? What the hell can we spend that much on JUST THIS SEASON?

Crap, I might be confusing Reese with Dubee...

Old
05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

Likely Randy Miller making **** up again to get some more article views and follows. There's no way this sieve would get all these supposed leads over the CSN Philly crew and other, better writers.

Last edited by sobrien: 05-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
05-20-2013, 04:21 PM
duffy9748

Randy Miller is a dumbass.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:23 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
I always thought that Reese was very adamant on teaching his goalies the way he wants to, not what others say. Whatever.

Either way, if we got rid of both Bryz and Briere this off-season, what the hell do we do with the extra money left over? Especially if Mez is gone, we would have freed up 16.166667 million... and for what? What the hell can we spend that much on JUST THIS SEASON?

Crap, I might be confusing Reese with Dubee...
Addition by subtraction. Save most of the money for next offseason.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Bryz having an excellent year in 13-14 doesn't erase his history. The guy needs to go, and it's not 100% his fault. Players are judged relative to their contract, and his contract is just stupid for what he has done in his time in Philly.

Next goalie, please.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
healthyscratch

I'm not supporting Bryz, but you can put Dryden and Hasek in the net at the same time and it wouldn't matter until they fix the defense.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I'm not supporting Bryz, but you can put Dryden and Hasek in the net at the same time and it wouldn't matter until they fix the defense.
I disagree. Mason proved in his short stint it can be done. Wether it can be done consistenly is the real question?

I still think we need to upgrade the defense but I wouldn't put all the blame on them for last year.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
I disagree. Mason proved in his short stint it can be done. Wether it can be done consistenly is the real question?

I still think we need to upgrade the defense but I wouldn't put all the blame on them for last year.
Mason was seeing like 40+ shots a game. That's not a sustainable strategy for winning.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:54 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How did he look this year? He always seemed like a player that I thought was a lot older than he actually was. He seems to always be somewhere on a cheap contract and make a decent impact relative to his cap hit.
Don't really know to be honest I just know what Bergeron brings to the table and I think I would be interested to see whether he could fit here or not.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Mason was seeing like 40+ shots a game. That's not a sustainable strategy for winning.
Bryz was was seeing about 28 shots a game this year and still not getting the job. We also had a lot of guys out of the lineup during Mason's stretch.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I am not all doom and gloom like others around here. I think the Flyers have a very bright future. But until you add a number 1 defenseman and a reliable goalie, this team isn't going anywhere.
Wt we need to do is to stop makig knee-jerk reactionary trades for a quick-fix patch to a gaping hole and trading away futures that could be real long term solutions to the problems with this team. It's called being patient and lettin players develope.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:14 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Bryz was was seeing about 28 shots a game this year and still not getting the job. We also had a lot of guys out of the lineup during Mason's stretch.
That's more an indictment of Bryz than anything. Mason did what a good NHL goalie is supposed to do, not allow softies and cover for some of the breakdowns by the defense. That said, legit contenders do not routinely get outshot.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:16 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Hmmm, I seem to remember Jester and I wanting us to sign Vokoun to a 2-3 years deal and let Bobrovsky develope. I guess maybe that would have been a good idea seeing how well Bob played for a CBJ team that was even worse defensively than we were this year. HMMMM

Old
05-20-2013, 06:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
That's more an indictment of Bryz than anything. Mason did what a good NHL goalie is supposed to do, not allow softies and cover for some of the breakdowns by the defense. That said, legit contenders do not routinely get outshot.
Yeah but you're missing the point Timonen, Grossmann, and Coburn were all out of the lineup during those times. You would think those shot numbers would have gone down with those three at 100% and playing.

I think we definitely need to get a PMD but I don't think the defense was as bad as some would suggest.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Yeah but you're missing the point Timonen, Grossmann, and Coburn were all out of the lineup during those times. You would think those shot numbers would have gone down with those three at 100% and playing.

I think we definitely need to get a PMD but I don't think the defense was as bad as some would suggest.
True. Still even when healthy the results weren't there. I agree that on paper a top six of Timonen, Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, Gus, and Meszaros is pretty solid. But they need to translate that into consistent effort. I'm not saying we should blow it up or really make any major changes (I would be open to moving Meszaros), and I think that getting consistent goaltending would go a long way in improving the symbiotic goalie-defense relationship, but they still need to tighten up significantly.

Closed Thread