HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 03:02 PM
  #976
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,464
vCash: 500
This is the tweet from Randy Miller:

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...17099820859392

Quote:
For what's it worth, i heard this week Tim Thomas wants to play for Flyers in '13-14. Also heard Flyers recently discussed Ryan Miller
He heard that he wants to play for the Flyers. Did Thomas outright say this? Are there any other sources other than Miller on this subject or is he alone on this whole thing?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:07 PM
  #977
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
This is the tweet from Randy Miller:

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...17099820859392



He heard that he wants to play for the Flyers. Did Thomas outright say this? Are there any other sources other than Miller on this subject or is he alone on this whole thing?
Obviously he is reporting what he hears from his sources. I feel like to make you believe that TT wants to play, I need to go interview him myself. I will post it on here when I get the video. I have supplied plenty to prove TT wants to give it a shot again as far as we know.

I understand you like Bryz, but he has been terrible. There are a few of you who will defend him till he is gone, and the sooner the better. TT on a one year deal is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryz. I can't put it any more simple than that.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:14 PM
  #978
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Obviously he is reporting what he hears from his sources. I feel like to make you believe that TT wants to play, I need to go interview him myself. I will post it on here when I get the video. I have supplied plenty to prove TT wants to give it a shot again as far as we know.

I understand you like Bryz, but he has been terrible. There are a few of you who will defend him till he is gone, and the sooner the better. TT on a one year deal is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryz. I can't put it any more simple than that.
I like his personality and honestly, I'd rather give him one more year before we buy him out. I admit when Bryz does something outright stupid, but I still believe he is his own worst critic, and it sometimes shows. And guess what, if we did buy off Bryz at the end of next season, it is basically a one year contract. Also, the goalie pool is WAY better in the next offseason. Lundy, Miller, Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Biron, and so on. I'm not saying Biron should be our starter, but I still would like him as a back up possibly. And this isn't even including a good list of RFA goalies that off-season as well. I'd say we should stick with what we have in goal for right now, see how both goalies do and make the decision either at the trade deadline or in the off-season (if we could trade off Bryz maybe in some miracle of a trade).

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:26 PM
  #979
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
I value their ability to stop the puck over their personality. That's something Bryz can't do. If it's a one year deal I'm giving Thomas a shot. I also think Thomas would be a way better mentor to Mason than Bryz.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
  #980
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I value their ability to stop the puck over their personality. That's something Bryz can't do. If it's a one year deal I'm giving Thomas a shot. I also think Thomas would be a way better mentor to Mason than Bryz.
Honestly, I think with how Reese is (supposedly), I think mentoring is something that Reese wouldn't allow. I dunno, just a weird feeling...

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
  #981
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa
 
Sniped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Pass on Miller, really don't want him on the Flyers.

I'm all for Timmy T to join the Flyers for a year, who knows if he'll be elite? At this point I'd take mostly any goaltender to get Bryz outta here.

Sniped is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
  #982
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,848
vCash: 50
I'd like to represent the US at the Olympics too. That doesn't mean I will. I am pretty sure Quick and Anderson get a nod over Thomas.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
  #983
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, I think with how Reese is (supposedly), I think mentoring is something that Reese wouldn't allow. I dunno, just a weird feeling...
Im sorry to be going after all your posts, but what the hell are you even trying to say??

TT will have all the ability to mentor Mason in the locker room, at home, going out for ice cream, etc..... Jeff Reese job is to help them with problems they are having positionally and so on. Are you saying TT won't be allowed to give Mason some of his knowledge and advice? That's crazy. You know TT brings Stanley cup winning pedigree, any coach will love that on his team, especially in net.

Prongo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
  #984
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I like his personality and honestly, I'd rather give him one more year before we buy him out. I admit when Bryz does something outright stupid, but I still believe he is his own worst critic, and it sometimes shows. And guess what, if we did buy off Bryz at the end of next season, it is basically a one year contract. Also, the goalie pool is WAY better in the next offseason. Lundy, Miller, Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Biron, and so on. I'm not saying Biron should be our starter, but I still would like him as a back up possibly. And this isn't even including a good list of RFA goalies that off-season as well. I'd say we should stick with what we have in goal for right now, see how both goalies do and make the decision either at the trade deadline or in the off-season (if we could trade off Bryz maybe in some miracle of a trade).
I think it does come down to money though. We have a few spots that need upgrading (I personally feel that we need another top 4 defender and a top 9 winger). If you can sign TT to a contract less than Bryz and save money (even with the buying out of Briere), I'd do it. Maybe it gives us some room to make other trades for another defender or forward. Having cap space on a team that has alot of money gives way for some trades (sadly smart and stupid ones).

Now I wont say Im a Bryz hater, but looking at the facts, he has been average to below average in 2 straight seasons. We split him with Bob and he doesnt play enough is the excuse. Now Bob is gone and we play him alot and he plays too much is the excuse now. Bryz was sheltered behind a great system in Phoenix where they limit the amount of high percentage shots on goal. Bryz will not have that here. I do think it's time to move on. A Thomas-Mason pairing is a pretty solid pairing, you can maybe save money, and upgrade other parts of the team. Even if they might not be an UPGRADE over Bryz, it's still a win-win scenario as we get rid of a long contract and a semi-expensive one and pick up a smaller contract on a hopefully one non-as-expensive year deal.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:40 PM
  #985
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Honestly, I think with how Reese is (supposedly), I think mentoring is something that Reese wouldn't allow. I dunno, just a weird feeling...
That literally makes no sense. Teams are always getting veterans to help out with their young goaltenders. Having a guy like Thomas is basically like having an assistant goalie coach. Reese would be out of a job if he didn't allow the goalies to bounce ideas of one another.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-20-2013 at 03:47 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:47 PM
  #986
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That literally makes no sense. Goalies have always helped one another out in this league. Having a guy like Thomas is basically like having an assistant goalie coach.
I always thought that Reese was very adamant on teaching his goalies the way he wants to, not what others say. Whatever.

Either way, if we got rid of both Bryz and Briere this off-season, what the hell do we do with the extra money left over? Especially if Mez is gone, we would have freed up 16.166667 million... and for what? What the hell can we spend that much on JUST THIS SEASON?

Crap, I might be confusing Reese with Dubee...

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
  #987
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
This is the tweet from Randy Miller:

https://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/sta...17099820859392



He heard that he wants to play for the Flyers. Did Thomas outright say this? Are there any other sources other than Miller on this subject or is he alone on this whole thing?
Likely Randy Miller making **** up again to get some more article views and follows. There's no way this sieve would get all these supposed leads over the CSN Philly crew and other, better writers.


Last edited by sobrien: 05-20-2013 at 04:15 PM.
sobrien is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 04:21 PM
  #988
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,297
vCash: 500
Randy Miller is a dumbass.

duffy9748 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 04:23 PM
  #989
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks
 
MRxBLACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NEPA USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,977
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I always thought that Reese was very adamant on teaching his goalies the way he wants to, not what others say. Whatever.

Either way, if we got rid of both Bryz and Briere this off-season, what the hell do we do with the extra money left over? Especially if Mez is gone, we would have freed up 16.166667 million... and for what? What the hell can we spend that much on JUST THIS SEASON?

Crap, I might be confusing Reese with Dubee...
Addition by subtraction. Save most of the money for next offseason.

MRxBLACK is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  #990
StevensCakeBakerBacker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I like his personality and honestly, I'd rather give him one more year before we buy him out. I admit when Bryz does something outright stupid, but I still believe he is his own worst critic, and it sometimes shows. And guess what, if we did buy off Bryz at the end of next season, it is basically a one year contract. Also, the goalie pool is WAY better in the next offseason. Lundy, Miller, Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Biron, and so on. I'm not saying Biron should be our starter, but I still would like him as a back up possibly. And this isn't even including a good list of RFA goalies that off-season as well. I'd say we should stick with what we have in goal for right now, see how both goalies do and make the decision either at the trade deadline or in the off-season (if we could trade off Bryz maybe in some miracle of a trade).
Bryz having an excellent year in 13-14 doesn't erase his history. The guy needs to go, and it's not 100% his fault. Players are judged relative to their contract, and his contract is just stupid for what he has done in his time in Philly.

Next goalie, please.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
  #991
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
I'm not supporting Bryz, but you can put Dryden and Hasek in the net at the same time and it wouldn't matter until they fix the defense.

healthyscratch is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  #992
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I'm not supporting Bryz, but you can put Dryden and Hasek in the net at the same time and it wouldn't matter until they fix the defense.
I disagree. Mason proved in his short stint it can be done. Wether it can be done consistenly is the real question?

I still think we need to upgrade the defense but I wouldn't put all the blame on them for last year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:46 PM
  #993
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I disagree. Mason proved in his short stint it can be done. Wether it can be done consistenly is the real question?

I still think we need to upgrade the defense but I wouldn't put all the blame on them for last year.
Mason was seeing like 40+ shots a game. That's not a sustainable strategy for winning.

dawkins121 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:54 PM
  #994
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
How did he look this year? He always seemed like a player that I thought was a lot older than he actually was. He seems to always be somewhere on a cheap contract and make a decent impact relative to his cap hit.
Don't really know to be honest I just know what Bergeron brings to the table and I think I would be interested to see whether he could fit here or not.

PALE PWNR is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:57 PM
  #995
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Mason was seeing like 40+ shots a game. That's not a sustainable strategy for winning.
Bryz was was seeing about 28 shots a game this year and still not getting the job. We also had a lot of guys out of the lineup during Mason's stretch.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
  #996
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I am not all doom and gloom like others around here. I think the Flyers have a very bright future. But until you add a number 1 defenseman and a reliable goalie, this team isn't going anywhere.
Wt we need to do is to stop makig knee-jerk reactionary trades for a quick-fix patch to a gaping hole and trading away futures that could be real long term solutions to the problems with this team. It's called being patient and lettin players develope.

phlocky is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:14 PM
  #997
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Bryz was was seeing about 28 shots a game this year and still not getting the job. We also had a lot of guys out of the lineup during Mason's stretch.
That's more an indictment of Bryz than anything. Mason did what a good NHL goalie is supposed to do, not allow softies and cover for some of the breakdowns by the defense. That said, legit contenders do not routinely get outshot.

dawkins121 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:16 PM
  #998
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Obviously he is reporting what he hears from his sources. I feel like to make you believe that TT wants to play, I need to go interview him myself. I will post it on here when I get the video. I have supplied plenty to prove TT wants to give it a shot again as far as we know.

I understand you like Bryz, but he has been terrible. There are a few of you who will defend him till he is gone, and the sooner the better. TT on a one year deal is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bryz. I can't put it any more simple than that.
Hmmm, I seem to remember Jester and I wanting us to sign Vokoun to a 2-3 years deal and let Bobrovsky develope. I guess maybe that would have been a good idea seeing how well Bob played for a CBJ team that was even worse defensively than we were this year. HMMMM

phlocky is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:24 PM
  #999
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
That's more an indictment of Bryz than anything. Mason did what a good NHL goalie is supposed to do, not allow softies and cover for some of the breakdowns by the defense. That said, legit contenders do not routinely get outshot.
Yeah but you're missing the point Timonen, Grossmann, and Coburn were all out of the lineup during those times. You would think those shot numbers would have gone down with those three at 100% and playing.

I think we definitely need to get a PMD but I don't think the defense was as bad as some would suggest.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
  #1000
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah but you're missing the point Timonen, Grossmann, and Coburn were all out of the lineup during those times. You would think those shot numbers would have gone down with those three at 100% and playing.

I think we definitely need to get a PMD but I don't think the defense was as bad as some would suggest.
True. Still even when healthy the results weren't there. I agree that on paper a top six of Timonen, Schenn, Coburn, Grossmann, Gus, and Meszaros is pretty solid. But they need to translate that into consistent effort. I'm not saying we should blow it up or really make any major changes (I would be open to moving Meszaros), and I think that getting consistent goaltending would go a long way in improving the symbiotic goalie-defense relationship, but they still need to tighten up significantly.

dawkins121 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.