HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

In the next 3 years, will we be that small

Old
05-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

vCash: 500
I don't think anyone is saying the Habs should go from the smallest to the biggest team by disregarding skills over size but the Habs do need to get bigger upfront

I see Chicago and Detroit being brought up as exemples and while it's true that they aren't the biggest teams , they aren't as small as the Habs either nor do they get pushed around as much. Find me a team that has three 5"6 - 5"7 guys in their top 6 who won the cup recently ? You won't find any. And there is still a bit of a difference between being 5"11 200lbs (Datsyuk , Zetterberg , Crosby ect) and 5"6-5"8 170-180lbs(Desharnais , Gionta , Bouillon , Gallagher ect)

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
It's a fruitless task to explain what white and black are to people that want to remain blind, so that they don't have to admit they can't understand. On that note I sign off.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Kriss E

Not sure why people are still talking about this..

Everybody agrees, we need some more size and skill on our top 9.
Can't have DD-Gio-Galla-Plek all on the top 6. If Eller and Galchenyuk can keep developing and step up their game, we'll be in better shape.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
...and again you are ignoring the facts. Detroit surrounds its 2 stars with size. Their team has size on every line. If it's not Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Franzen and Abdelkader, there is someone available to run through the lines with Pavel and Henrik. I'm not talking about goons, but actual physical players. I mean, do you even understand the makeup of their roster and what kind of a coach Babcock is? You really think he would accept his two stars being taken advanctage of every night?

Chicago's key players aren't small, they are big, this is the difference. Kane isn't huge, but 5'11 185 isn't tiny.

Montreal's key players this year were small, and thats the issue. I don't know how anyone can dispute this fact with a straight face. You can have a couple smaller key players, but a team full of them? Are you kidding me? We are a joke at center, the one key position you have to have some size at at key points in the game. Have you seen DD try and get the puck out of the corners? Its actually embarrassing watching it. Dumont and Plekanec rarely comes out on the winning end of puck retrieval.

I don't want a team littered with goons , but how any fan can deny we lack physical forwards is unreal to me. There is zero puck separation when this team is going for possession.
kane is 5'8" or 5'9" not 5'11".

We had more big forwards than Detroit...Pacioretty Bourque Eller Galchenyuk Ryder Moen Prust White.

Pacioretty was the top scorer on the team 6'2" 219lbs...Subban the 2nd top scorer 6' and around 210lbs, Eller was #4 or 5 6'2" 209lbs, Galchenyuk Ryder and Bourque were all among the most productive offensive players.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Yet every single legitimate site has him listed at 5'11. I know people that have met him on more than one occasion, and he is at least 5'10-11. What can I say, skill trumps size sometimes I never suggested otherwise.

Quote:
We had more big forwards than Detroit...Pacioretty Bourque Eller Galchenyuk Ryder Moen Prust White.
Bigger, not more physical. I think that's the point I was trying to make. Also Montreal's feistier forwards just aren't big minute players, they don't get a lot of ice time. White, Moen... used sparingly. Prust? Love him, but clearly was oversused as the only real physical threat on the ice, and his body paid for it.

Ryder isn't physical, not one bit.

Quote:
Pacioretty was the top scorer on the team 6'2" 219lbs...Subban the 2nd top scorer 6' and around 210lbs, Eller was #4 or 5 6'2" 209lbs, Galchenyuk Ryder and Bourque were all among the most productive offensive players.
All this is true, but they shouldn't be playing roles they aren't suited for. Let Pacioretty be a goal scorer and Subban patrol the blueline. Eller shouldn't take on a physical role, he isn't suited for it, its not his game and I don't want Galchenyuk playing this role either.

When you start asking your players to play a role they aren't suited for, you get in trouble. How can you dispute this?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Ryder plays like he is 3'13" and Moen took the year off. Replace these two with Bickell, Clarkson type players and add a few 4th liners like Bordeleau and Torres. Try to get a bigger dman to place Diaz. Our smaller forwards will play better when they have someone to open up the ice and protect them. If we keep the team the same then we will just be having this same conversation next year. Skilled players will not want to come to a team that cannot protect them.

1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131313 View Post
I don't think anyone is saying the Habs should go from the smallest to the biggest team by disregarding skills over size but the Habs do need to get bigger upfront

I see Chicago and Detroit being brought up as exemples and while it's true that they aren't the biggest teams , they aren't as small as the Habs either nor do they get pushed around as much. Find me a team that has three 5"6 - 5"7 guys in their top 6 who won the cup recently ? You won't find any. And there is still a bit of a difference between being 5"11 200lbs (Datsyuk , Zetterberg , Crosby ect) and 5"6-5"8 170-180lbs(Desharnais , Gionta , Bouillon , Gallagher ect)
Bouillon is 200lbs and stronger/tougher/more physical than any of the guys you named, not sure why you'd even include him in that group?

Old
05-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Andy

I have a hard time believing Patrick Kane is 5'11.

Brian Campbell is listed at 6'0

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I have a hard time believing Patrick Kane is 5'11.

Brian Campbell is listed at 6'0

Nice red herring.

Take a discussion about the lack of size and physicality on the Habs roster and turn it into a debate about Kane's true height.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:28 PM
niftymove

A picture can be misleading eith the perspective effect.

Anyway, let's say he is between 5.10 and 5.11 and let's forget it....it's a Habs page for godsake!

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
A picture can be misleading eith the perspective effect.

Anyway, let's say he is between 5.10 and 5.11 and let's forget it....it's a Habs page for godsake!

Nothing is misleading as several pictures demonstrate that kane is much shorter. I really doubt Kane is 5'11. He's pretty undersized as a player, both height and weight wise. Notice the first pic. Campoli and Campbell look the same size and they are, both are 6'0, now look at Kane who is on the same plane as them, he's definitely more than an inch shorter.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:12 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Nothing is misleading as several pictures demonstrate that kane is much shorter. I really doubt Kane is 5'11. He's pretty undersized as a player, both height and weight wise. Notice the first pic. Campoli and Campbell look the same size and they are, both are 6'0, now look at Kane who is on the same plane as them, he's definitely more than an inch shorter.
Using this awesome detective work , he must be 5'10 according to my research.

Miley Cyrus is 5'5 and clearly Kane is 5" taller than her. This is so fun.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:

Who is taller? Miley Cyrus or Hayden Panettiere?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Andy

Quote:

Kane is 5'11 like Brandon Prust is 6'2. Neither are the height listed.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bouillon is 200lbs and stronger/tougher/more physical than any of the guys you named, not sure why you'd even include him in that group?
He can hit along the boards and hard to knock down but he's too small to clear the crease.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He can hit along the boards and hard to knock down but he's too small to clear the crease.
He does an ok job. Better than guys like Subban and Markov that are bigger.