HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gleason and Belanger Traded for Johnson and Tverdovsky

Old
09-30-2006, 06:27 PM
jt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Michigan's regular season ends 02/24/07. BC's regular season ends 03/03/07. The Kings then have, I believe, until mid August 2007 to sign Boyle. Hopefully Boyle and Johnson join us after the end of their seasons. If we suck we could just put them in the lineup for the last couple games of the season to see what they can do.
So they would be with us for the last month of the season and the playoffs if we make it. I'm not worried about Johnson signing because I'm pretty sure he will but I am a little worried about Boyle.
Quote:
8.6 (c) (ii)
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft...and does not remain a bona fide college student through graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.
So if I'm reading this right, it doesn't matter whether JJ stays in school or not, the Kings have his rights until the fourth June 1 following his selection. He was selected on 7/30/05, which means the Kings have his rights until 6/1/09.

Right?

jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt View Post
So if I'm reading this right, it doesn't matter whether JJ stays in school or not, the Kings have his rights until the fourth June 1 following his selection. He was selected on 7/30/05, which means the Kings have his rights until 6/1/09.

Right?
Sounds like it, except that the first part sticks out to me. "Bona-fide college student" makes it sound like the prospect has to be in college, already. You could say that being enrolled might be enough, but then why are 17-year-olds excluded if it's not because a 17-year-old would not already have a year of college under his belt? If just being enrolled to become a freshman were enough, they'd include 17-year-olds in the clause, I would think, since some prospects (like Kopitar) are still 17 when they're drafted. Does that make sense? If my interpretation is correct, I'm not sure that that clause applies to most draftees... but, then, I'm not sure that my interpretation is correct. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows...

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 06:57 PM
jt

Well, he was born on 1/13/87 so on 7/30/05 he was 18...whether he was a "bona fide college student" I don't know.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:30 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:

Right?
Close. Any NCAA player drafted has until August of his graduation year to be signed.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:34 PM
jt

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Close. Any NCAA player drafted has until August of his graduation year to be signed.
Are you sure? It doesn't seem like that's what this says:

Quote:
8.6 (c) (ii)
If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft...and does not remain a bona fide college student through graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Old
09-30-2006, 07:43 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Are you sure? It doesn't seem like that's what this says:
Sorry, I was thinking about if he stays in college. That loophole is if he doesn't remain a college student.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
You could say that being enrolled might be enough, but then why are 17-year-olds excluded if it's not because a 17-year-old would not already have a year of college under his belt? If just being enrolled to become a freshman were enough, they'd include 17-year-olds in the clause, I would think, since some prospects (like Kopitar) are still 17 when they're drafted. Does that make sense? If my interpretation is correct, I'm not sure that that clause applies to most draftees... but, then, I'm not sure that my interpretation is correct. Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article 8.10
Age of Players.
As used in this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next folowing the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday by no later than September 15 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday by no later than December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the EntryDraft and "age 22" means a Player reaching his twenty-second birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Osprey

Thanks, Sam. I suspected that, but wasn't sure and didn't want to look it up.

Old
10-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Gleason with 15+ mins of ice time in their game so far against the Caps. Belanger with 9+.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 02:13 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Gleason with 15+ mins of ice time in their game so far against the Caps. Belanger with 9+.
Belanger in a canes uniform - http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?sl..._pm&prov=getty

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 05:18 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Wow.. I go away from HF for a little bit, and BAM.. Tverdovsky, and JJ for Some Center, and Gleason. Awesome.

p.s.

All these new smileys are a trip. Good stuff.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 05:29 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us View Post
Wow.. I go away from HF for a little bit, and BAM.. Tverdovsky, and JJ for Some Center, and Gleason. Awesome.

p.s.

All these new smileys are a trip. Good stuff.
You should go away more often....

...you know...for the trades...

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post

You are all heart.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
That brings a tear to the eye. I thought that the day would never come <sniff><sniff>

Old
10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Get this: 23:30 of ice-time in the game! No other defenseman had even 19 minutes. It's still only pre-season, but it looks like they intend to make him a very important part of their defense. This is a better opportunity than he had in LA. I'm happy for him.

Old
10-01-2006, 07:29 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post

Who else would be here to devise plans on the last week of the season that.... dont.. seem.. to work..??

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
ILuvLA

Today's LA Times Johnson Article

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...ck=1&cset=true

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Quattro

Balanced Article on the Johnson Trade

I know Mckenzie can be an idiot sometimes, but this is actually a pretty good analysis of the big trade. I hope it's not a repost...

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Venom_17

This has already been linked to in the Jack Johnson thread.

Regardless, I agree with you that Bobby Mac gives due credit to Ebell and Timmy.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote