HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
so you're going to play neil or ott on the third line then? what purpose does it serve? as FMASC mentioned above, we have a plethora of that on this team. we need OFFENSE. those guys do not provide it. we already have a very good 4th line.

as for Zajac, you cannot compare him to that. he has played 0 games of his contract. none. zilch. he played very well down the stretch. and even if he is NOT scoring, he is going to kill penalties, win faceoffs, and play solid D and along the boards. I know that isnt what you pay all that money for but when you are talking about contracts and players who are useless he does not fit that mold.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
so you're going to play neil or ott on the third line then? what purpose does it serve? as FMASC mentioned above, we have a plethora of that on this team. we need OFFENSE. those guys do not provide it. we already have a very good 4th line.

as for Zajac, you cannot compare him to that. he has played 0 games of his contract. none. zilch. he played very well down the stretch. and even if he is NOT scoring, he is going to kill penalties, win faceoffs, and play solid D and along the boards. I know that isnt what you pay all that money for but when you are talking about contracts and players who are useless he does not fit that mold.
A plethora of that? A plethora of a guy whose going to stand up for his teammates, get in the face of the opponent, and get in their head? Whose physical and throws hits that're going to get the crowd on their feet? Gets his team in the game with timely hits and fights?

Don't think Josefson, Ponikarovsky, Henrique, D'agostini, Zubrus,Sullivan, Zajac, Kovalchuk, Loktionov, Gionta, Bernier, and Elias) are doing that. We don't have that guy. Maybe Clarkson but he was forced into a top 6 role this year and we couldn't afford to have him off the ice. Maybe Carter would step up. This team lacks and edge to it. Remember the whole Wayne Simmonds shove on Marty? Carter AND Bernier both like tackled him to the ice...no one fought him after he blatantly shoved our goalie. Elias in the Canadiens game I went to was hit late by Armstrong...no one went to step in, Elias slashed him but that was about it.

Look I know it sounds stupid but I've played hockey for many years and its a huge lift to the bench when you have a teammate who throws a huge check when you're down.

Pete Loves his ****ing goons I just don't know why he doesn't find one who plays on a 3rd line roll but brings the same stuff to the table.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Richer's Ghost
This guy can coach

vCash: 369
Havlat + Stalberg would compliment this roster nicely (as I'm imagining it after a few RFA and UFA contracts of current players pending). Injuries happen to this team no matter what so I'm not going to kill an option if I'm GM just because of a roulette history board. If it came down to two options very similar but one had an injury history sure - but I don't see enough talent out there up for grabs to do that.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
A plethora of that? A plethora of a guy whose going to stand up for his teammates, get in the face of the opponent, and get in their head? Whose physical and throws hits that're going to get the crowd on their feet? Gets his team in the game with timely hits and fights?

Don't think Josefson, Ponikarovsky, Henrique, D'agostini, Zubrus,Sullivan, Zajac, Kovalchuk, Loktionov, Gionta, Bernier, and Elias) are doing that. We don't have that guy. Maybe Clarkson but he was forced into a top 6 role this year and we couldn't afford to have him off the ice. Maybe Carter would step up. This team lacks and edge to it. Remember the whole Wayne Simmonds shove on Marty? Carter AND Bernier both like tackled him to the ice...no one fought him after he blatantly shoved our goalie. Elias in the Canadiens game I went to was hit late by Armstrong...no one went to step in, Elias slashed him but that was about it.

Look I know it sounds stupid but I've played hockey for many years and its a huge lift to the bench when you have a teammate who throws a huge check when you're down.

Pete Loves his ****ing goons I just don't know why he doesn't find one who plays on a 3rd line roll but brings the same stuff to the table.
oh I forgot you were the one that wanted to play Barch or Janssen arent you? it all makes sense now.

you dont need to "get in the head" of your opponents if you outplay them. ESPECIALLY not on the 3rd line. we need offensive players. we don't need that type of **** on this team.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:27 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
oh I forgot you were the one that wanted to play Barch or Janssen arent you? it all makes sense now.

you dont need to "get in the head" of your opponents if you outplay them. ESPECIALLY not on the 3rd line. we need offensive players. we don't need that type of **** on this team.
Oh and outplay them? Like when we outshot toronto 37-6 and still ended up losing? Because that worked really well.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Oh and outplay them? Like when we outshot toronto 37-6 and still ended up losing? Because that worked really well.
BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE THE GOAL SCORERS AND OUR GOALIES ARE BELOW AVERAGE. its that simple. its not rocket science.

how would Steve freaking Ott have mattered in a game like that? I'd love to hear.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:36 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
BECAUSE WE DONT HAVE THE GOAL SCORERS AND OUR GOALIES ARE BELOW AVERAGE. its that simple. its not rocket science.

how would Steve freaking Ott have mattered in a game like that? I'd love to hear.
So nobody on our offense can score goals? I never said Ott would matter I just said "yeah okay" when I read your post because I remember about 8 games in a row where we outplayed them.

Thats a poor excuse "We don't have a goal scorer". No we lack someone whose got the drive to score the goal (i'll explain below). Its not a matter if they're a goal scorer or not. Bryce Salvador is a ****** captain and doesn't light a fire under this teams ass. We have good leadership but Bryce Salvador isn't someone who comes to mind.

But a player like Ott if you must know is someone every team would love in the locker room. He's a standup guy and he's a leader.

Our seasons was this; Our team wasn't winning and no one got angry, no one got pissed, and when they did get pissed it was Marty at the end of the season going "Oh thanks Lou for not replacing Zach". everyone looked for someone else to take control and kick start this team. Deboer is a great coach I don't doubt that but he doesn't get angry with his players (He doesn't believe in it or whatever).

Old
05-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

so you know what Salvador does or doesn't say in the locker room? interesting.

getting pissed or getting angry does not help guys who can't score, score more. I don't want to hear about grit, clutch, smarts, etc. I want guys that can put the puck in the net. period.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:40 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Remember the whole Wayne Simmonds shove on Marty? Carter AND Bernier both like tackled him to the ice...no one fought him after he blatantly shoved our goalie.
Bernier went after Simmonds, both players were called for roughing, we ended up with a power play, we won the game 3-0, and Clarkson fought Simmonds later in the game and it was a draw.

So this is the worst possible example you can use to prove your point.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
apice3*

Quote:
So you'd rather just have someone beat them up when we outshoot a team 37-6 and lose?

You'e digging yourself deeper in a hole. Your points are contradicting one another.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:48 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Bernier went after Simmonds, both players were called for roughing, we ended up with a power play, we won the game 3-0, and Clarkson fought Simmonds later in the game and it was a draw.

So this is the worst possible example you can use to prove your point.
Really? Steve ****ing Bernier went after Simmonds? Where can you point that out in the video? You mean after Simmonds was throwing punches at Carter and he bear hugged him to the ground? That's going after him? What're we last years Sabres?

Buffalo went through Lucic running their goalie and they went through a complete overhaul. Don't say "Oh and look what happened to their team" because when you're playing with wingers like Stafford, Porter, Flynn, Gerbe etc. that's not Steve Ott's fault they didn't do well this year.

And don't even begin to say Carter or Bernier can fight, Carter won one fight vs Dubinsky....and Bernier fought B. Schenn...the same dude Kovy Tko'd

Old
05-20-2013, 08:49 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
So you'd rather just have someone beat them up when we outshoot a team 37-6 and lose?

You'e digging yourself deeper in a hole. Your points are contradicting one another.
Where did I say that? I just said Outplaying them didn't work well for us this year.

I said Ott is a leader and would be a key leader in the locker room. I never said "send him on the ice and beat someone up". Quit putting words in my mouth.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Where did I say that? I just said Outplaying them didn't work well for us this year.

I said Ott is a leader and would be vocal in the locker room. I never said "send him on the ice and beat someone up". Quit putting words in my mouth.
so you think not outplaying teams is the way to win games?

you commenting on what our players say and don't say in the locker room is quite silly.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
you commenting on what our players say and don't say in the locker room is quite silly.
I'm sorry but watching players like Poni, Clarkson, Zajac, etc. who played with 0 heart towards the middle and end of the year made me think that there are a lot of things left unsaid. I hate Salvador as a captain

Old
05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
hlaverty06

Moving on...

Bickell/Stalberg are two players we should be all over.

Stalberg has the speed that we desperately need
Bickell could fill Clarkson's void if he were to walk

Both would probably be available in FA

Old
05-20-2013, 09:11 PM
apice3*

Did you want Bernier to drop his gloves and sucker punch him a la Bertuzzi?

We took Simmonds down, we got the PP, we won the game, and we fought Simmonds later anyway. We win in every instance right there.

Unlike the Sabres who were completely abused in every facet.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Yes please on Stalberg .

Old
05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Did you want Bernier to drop his gloves and sucker punch him a la Bertuzzi?

We took Simmonds down, we got the PP, we won the game, and we fought Simmonds later anyway. We win in every instance right there.

Unlike the Sabres who were completely abused in every facet.
Just please stop trying to make it seem like Carter and Bernier are these big tough guys...We all very well know Simmonds would've knocked either of them out had they dropped them. It took 2 of them to take him down lol

Just curious what the response would be if Poni-Zubrus-D'Agostini or whatever our 3rd line was were out there? Or Matteau-Zajac-Kovy?

Just wanted 1 more physical presence in the bottom 6...Matt Martin I have a man crush on him

Old
05-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
I also would like a bottom 6 tough guy who could score like a Clutterbuck or Martin, but I wouldnt prioritize it.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Can't score goals? Add more 3rd and 4th liners to the 750 we already have. Top 6 talent is what we need. I don't understand how anyone could disagree with that after what we witnessed from February-April.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
Can't score goals? Add more 3rd and 4th liners to the 750 we already have. Top 6 talent is what we need. I don't understand how anyone could disagree with that after what we witnessed from February-April.
Okay this is the last post I'll make on it since you guys will have your way because Lou and pete will do the same

I am not suggesting we grab a goon or someone just for protecting our team. I am saying those 'heart and soul' type of players are the ones who tend to be the best leaders. They are the ones who can get their team fired up, play a regular hockey shift, and throw their weight around to get the team/fans into it. Steve Ott is a perfect example of a great locker room guy and a player who can play a regular NHL shift.

This team showed me 0 heart this season and I think that is attributed to our leadership. If we had true leaders why am I not seeing a team thats motivated every shift and comes out playing their best hockey? Salvador was great on our playoff run but I really don't think he's a captain. Marty, Patty, and Kovy were not very vocal it didn't appear because game after ****ing game they just went along with the motions...

Everyone goes, Oh you don't know that, just watch the game and you'll see that this team looked unmotivated and disinterested. A great locker room guy is what we need. Sure Janssen and Boulton are good locker room guys but neither could play a regular hockey shift. Hopefully Stefan Matteau turns into this player. Chris Neil, Steve Ott, and Hartnell (albeit he's a better than the other two) all wear A's...why? Because they're LEADERS.

And in no way did I said "Omit scoring forwards, just get a bottom 6 guy"

Get a Hemsky, Havlat, Kostitsyn, Ryder, Horton etc. this team could use it.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:35 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils trap View Post
i also would like a bottom 6 tough guy who could score like a clutterbuck or martin, but i wouldnt prioritize it.
exactly

Old
05-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Okay this is the last post I'll make on it since you guys will have your way because Lou and pete will do the same

I am not suggesting we grab a goon or someone just for protecting our team. I am saying those 'heart and soul' type of players are the ones who tend to be the best leaders. They are the ones who can get their team fired up, play a regular hockey shift, and throw their weight around to get the team/fans into it. Steve Ott is a perfect example of a great locker room guy and a player who can play a regular NHL shift.

This team showed me 0 heart this season and I think that is attributed to our leadership. If we had true leaders why am I not seeing a team thats motivated every shift and comes out playing their best hockey? Salvador was great on our playoff run but I really don't think he's a captain. Marty, Patty, and Kovy were not very vocal it didn't appear because game after ****ing game they just went along with the motions...

Everyone goes, Oh you don't know that, just watch the game and you'll see that this team looked unmotivated and disinterested. A great locker room guy is what we need. Sure Janssen and Boulton are good locker room guys but neither could play a regular hockey shift. Hopefully Stefan Matteau turns into this player. Chris Neil, Steve Ott, and Hartnell (albeit he's a better than the other two) all wear A's...why? Because they're LEADERS.

And in no way did I said "Omit scoring forwards, just get a bottom 6 guy"

Get a Hemsky, Havlat, Kostitsyn, Ryder, Horton etc. this team could use it.
They lacked finish not heart. They outshot most of the teams they played by a wide margin and had solid puck possession. Pete's forechecking system works very well as we saw last year. The defense gave up the least amount of shots in the league. I don't know about the 'Heart" thing. That stuff can be very overrated. Parise was our "Heart" guy and we had many late season and playoff collapses with him on the roster. Same with Madden, Langebrunner (before his tour-de-force with Lemaire), White, etc. Things weren't that different with those guys around who were considered the "Heart" players.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:46 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
They lacked finish not heart. They outshot most of the teams they played by a wide margin and had solid puck possession. Pete's forechecking system works very well as we saw last year. The defense gave up the least amount of shots in the league. I don't know about the 'Heart" thing. That stuff can be very overrated. Parise was our "Heart" guy and we had many late season and playoff collapses with him on the roster. Same with Madden, Langebrunner (before his tour-de-force with Lemaire), White, etc. Things weren't that different with those guys around who were considered the "Heart" players.
You need both heart and skill to be successful. You won't win with just one or the other. This team is lacking the skill.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
SpeakingOfTheDevils
Devils Advocate

Holy **** does Stalberg have wheels. Did anyone else just see his partial breakaway that hit the post? Wow, he's come a long way.

Closed Thread