HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Alain Vigneault - The Watch Begins.

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
I'm going to suggest that we not debate Gillis vs Nonis in the next fire AV thread. kkthnx.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:20 PM
sk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Allow me to dumb it down for you.

Gillis offers Salo $3.75M in total compensation. Yzerman offers Salo $7.50M in total compensation. Salo chooses Yzerman's offer. And yet you're suggesting that this is Salo's fault, and not Gillis's, for walking? Just more evidence, on top of an already heaping pile of evidence, that Gillis is totally out of tune with the player marketplace.

You people are seriously giving him credit for offering this crappy contract to Salo?
Please, your comments are dumb enough already.....
You have heard of a ...salary cap...have you not?

Old
05-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
Somehow the Sedins managed to each win an Art Ross Trophy and the canucks 2 presidents trophies under this "incompetent" coach.

Somehow AV has managed to get himself 3 Jack Adams nominations and one win despite being an incompetent coach.

I agree that it is time for AV to go, but stop with this revisionist nonsense.
Luongo won it for him in 2007
Missed the playoffs in 2008
He is lucky that he got Gillis as his GM, if he coaches another team like Dallas or Phoneix then he will be fired very soon.

And the president trophy means nothing. I don't see that as an accomplishment at all.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
CpatainCanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Luongo won it for him in 2007
Missed the playoffs in 2008
He is lucky that he got Gillis as his GM, if he coaches another team like Dallas or Phoneix then he will be fired very soon.

And the president trophy means nothing. I don't see that as an accomplishment at all.

Am I being trolled here?

Old
05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
1) Gillis should be fired if those are the packages he would do.

2) Gillis was asleep at the switch when he allowed AV to burn a year off Corrado's ELC. Absolutely stupid decision.

3) You don't get that all in one deadline, you get that in the off-season. When I complained about our team in the off-season everyone said "well there's lots of time before the deadline, we'll do something at the deadline." We didn't. Now it's "well you can't do it all at the deadline, let's wait until the draft" and when nothing happens it'll be "well there's free agency, it's a long summer." And when nothing happens it'll be back to "well there's lots of time until the deadline" again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

4) Because Kassian hasn't shown a whole lot while the guy we gave away had shown to be a 20 goal calibre scorer before we even pulled the trigger? It's like the reverse Stojanov deal.
1) Luongo was never going to command the value we suspected he might. The latter package might have been slightly better prior to the lockout debacle but otherwise the market simply refused to bend. That being said, I do not fault him for waiting on a gamble because those pieces wouldn't have amounted to anything substantial. Were I to fault Gillis for anything, it would be his seeming refusal to explore trading Schneider.

2) It's inconsequential. Corrado was playing solid and we were in dire straits. Unless Corrado explodes, his subsequent contract will barely rise.

3) You advocate for the unrealistic. Move the Sedins or re-sign them for chump change, trade half our NTC players and so forth. Doing so is simply not feasible whether you are Gillis, Burke or Holland. Much as Bieksa has been rightly criticized, are we going to ship out a usually solid defenseman when his market value is an all-time low? Were Montreal to offer Eller for Bieksa+, then sure, make that trade. Unfortunately, the reality is far from simplistic.

Say we are entertaining Edler's departure. Philly, Dallas and Anaheim reject proposals involving Simmonds/Couturier, Eriksson and Ryan respectively, unless they are severely one-sided. What options are then available save ripping ourselves off?

I would seek out minor adjustments with hopeful impact; Talbot, Cammalleri/Tanguay, Roy, Jagr and/or Regehr (if we did trade a defenseman). They may not appear to differ from the supposed "country club" culture but could have a profound effect. Expecting much else is setting unobtainable standards.

4) One was a mainstay on the first line with Vanek, whilst the other toiled on the fourth the instant a slight hiccup arose. Leave Kassian with Sedins all season and his numbers would improve. Furthermore, power-forward prospects are notoriously slow in development; Bertuzzi was not scoring in buckets until his mid twenties.

Closed Thread