HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part 17: What does "bold" mean?

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 02:55 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
HFOil....up-down-up-down.....

Sure there's the posters who consistently hate on guys like Hemsky and Gagner for being small, non-physical or injury-prone. Posters who are already paying Ryane Clowe 5M to play on the 2nd line next year. But it was hardly two months ago there were a myriad of posters loving the fact that Hemmer was back playing with confidence.

Now we're paying his salary and trading him for a 7th round pick.

Figures.
To me and I believe I've been consistent with this, the core pieces are Nuge, Hall, Ebs, Yak and JS. Build around those pieces and move the rest for other key pieces. The pieces I would be trying to move are Hemsky, Gagner, and Paajarvi. I'd move others but doubt they hold much appeal to other GMs.

Monahan I believe will be a key piece for us in the future as a 1-2 punch of Nuge and Monahan will be formidable. So I would move Hemsky (even at a lesser price) to guarantee that.

I like Gags but I would move him for a top 4 defender. My ideal player is Alzner but not sure if that is possible. I would flip MPS for a young defender that could turn out to be top 4. Again I like B. Smith from Det but not sure if realistic. I also like Gormely but again who knows if possible.

Just one persons opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Old
05-20-2013, 03:10 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
I still think Hemsky has around the same value that Penner had at the time of his trade, but to get a similar return it would have to be done at the trade deadline..
I've always thought that Hemsky would be great in Detroit, Columbus, or Pittsburgh(who wouldnt)

Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
OilerFan4Life

Last guy on the ice at practice EVERY day.
First guy off the ice at practice EVERY day.

Yeah, great example for the kids....

Old
05-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post

Who cares?

The "kids" are a part of the leadership structure of this team more than Hemsky is or ever will be. I'm sure that they can set their own example.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:46 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:

The "kids" have a lot more bad examples to worry about than Hemsky leaving practice first (somebody has to btw). Horcoff and Smyth and Belanger have more than just bad practice attitudes now. *IMO*

Old
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:

How do you know this?

Old
05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
How do you know this?
There have been numerous articles stating this over the years.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
HFOil....up-down-up-down.....

Sure there's the posters who consistently hate on guys like Hemsky and Gagner for being small, non-physical or injury-prone. Posters who are already paying Ryane Clowe 5M to play on the 2nd line next year. But it was hardly two months ago there were a myriad of posters loving the fact that Hemmer was back playing with confidence.

Now we're paying his salary and trading him for a 7th round pick.

Figures.
The hate for Hemsky here is terrible considering that without him, it just creates another hole. After Yak/RNH/Eberle/Hall/Gagner, we have nothing offensively. Paajarvi would be 6th and he is a 35 point scorer at best. Any of the five above have a bad year, and we're done (like how RNH had a bad year this year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
I'd talk with Phoenix. Maybe we could swap Hemsky for Michalek, Kleska or Morris?

A win-win for both squads as Phoenix gets some much needed offense and the Oilers get a veteran top 4 defenseman.

I just noticed Gordon is a UFA too. He would be a solid pick up.
Hemsky for Michalek is a deal I'd be on board with, although I think you could get Michalek using futures too. I don't think his NTC would matter in this scenario because he already used it from Pittsburgh to Phoenix but I could be wrong.

Also yes Hemsky is a lazy player for stretches and he apparently has "no work ethic" but this guy did play that last 20 games or so with a broken foot because he wanted to help us make the playoffs, so there's that (our D can't hit the net and that's why Hemsky got hurt).

Old
05-20-2013, 05:55 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
The hate for Hemsky here is terrible considering that without him, it just creates another hole. After Yak/RNH/Eberle/Hall/Gagner, we have nothing offensively. Paajarvi would be 6th and he is a 35 point scorer at best. Any of the five above have a bad year, and we're done (like how RNH had a bad year this year).
It creates a small, easily filled hole.

The years of sacrificing consistent effort for a little extra skill are long gone.

I'd take a 20-25 point 3rd liner who gives 100% effort over Hemsky without thinking twice.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
spot

I'm really rooting for the penguins to win the cup this year. If they do I don't think that they resign iginla. They need to sign dupuis, letang and Cooke. (Someone's else significant can't remember)
I think we could get iginla to sign here for 4yrs/20 million and make him our captain.
Great vet to mentor our youth, hall idolized him. I would make him captain.

Trade: Hemsky for upshall
Sign: Jagr, Streit, Smith
Buyout: Belanger, Eager
Free agent: Petrell, Jones, Khabby, Whitney, Smithson, Fistric

Hall RNH Yakupov
Jagr Gagner Eberle
PRV Horcoff Iginla
Upshall Smyth Brown
Lander

Streit Schultz
Smid Petry
Klefbom Schultz
Potter

Dubynk
Smith

Old
05-20-2013, 06:17 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I'm really rooting for the penguins to win the cup this year. If they do I don't think that they resign iginla. They need to sign dupuis, letang and Cooke. (Someone's else significant can't remember)
I think we could get iginla to sign here for 4yrs/20 million and make him our captain.
Great vet to mentor our youth, hall idolized him. I would make him captain.

Trade: Hemsky for upshall
Sign: Jagr, Streit, Smith
Buyout: Belanger, Eager
Free agent: Petrell, Jones, Khabby, Whitney, Smithson, Fistric

Hall RNH Yakupov
Jagr Gagner Eberle
PRV Horcoff Iginla
Upshall Smyth Brown
Lander

Streit Schultz
Smid Petry
Klefbom Schultz
Potter

Dubynk
Smith
Firstly, that's not particularly salary cap wise, keeping Horcoff and Iginla. Next season, according to that math, you'll have 10 million dollars on the third line. Salary capped, that doesn't make any sense. Mike Smith is also going to be looking for big bucks on the open market, especially as a starter.

Behind a world-class defence, mind you, that pairing got Canada to 5th at the Worlds. Just saying.

Also, I just find it hillarious you'd sign Iginla and then make him captain. I'd love him here, but let's be honest. The man meant more to Calgary than arguably anyone has meant to Edmonton in that same span. Smyth, maybe. I just don't see him coming here and getting a C and being able to show his face in public.

EDIT: Understood you moved out Hemsky's contract, but Upshall costs the same range. You're not saving any money that way.

Old
05-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
There have been numerous articles stating this over the years.
Over the past three years? When he's been playing hurt. Good point.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Uindicator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
This is how you run an organization into the ground. Hemsky still have value around the league. At worst hes bringing back two 2nd round picks although MacT will probably target dependable 3rd/4th liners instead. HFOIL sure have a low panic threshold when it comes to players.
i doubt he brings u two 2nd round picks, but my point is we jus need to rid of him and use his salary to get two good 3rd liners on FA.He's borderline a cancer on this team.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Over the past three years? When he's been playing hurt. Good point.
They have been around since MacT was coach genius. A simple google search could do wonders for some of you

Old
05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Button is full of ****, if we ate 1/2 of his cap hit there is little doubt in my mind that we couldn't at least get a 2nd rounder for him. Perhaps Nashville's 2nd would be a good fit?
A second round pick is not good value for Hemsky. If that's all that's being offered (and all due respect to Button I find that hard to believe) then we may as well just keep the player. Katz can afford the $5 million and it won't be a cap problem to carry the contract for one more year.

If MacT trades Hemsky for a second that will not bode well for the future of this club with him as a GM. Second round picks do not help this team in any way. We need real NHL players and we need them now. I thought the whole point of trading Hemsky was to inject more two way tenacity and physical play into the top six? Why in the world would we be moving out an all world skill set for a second round pick at this stage in the game? Hemsky has to go in a package for a player(s) who is going to help this team win games next season.

If I was MacT I'd be dangling a package of Hemsky and the first round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So the Oilers wont pay Hemsky $5 million to be a 2nd liner with world class skill. (Matheson's words)

But they will pay Shawn Horcoff $5.5 million to be a 3rd liner with 3rd line skill...

Makes sense . Such a joke that there is not even a sniff of getting rid of Horcoff by any of the media. The guy who has captained the worst team in franchise history.

He makes more than Hemsky does and brings less to the table. He is also under contract for longer. Any other organization in the league would buy Horcoff out and do some actual management work and find an upgrade. Not a chance MacT even considers getting rid of Horcoff though. Zero.

****ing joke
That too ....

Old
05-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
A second round pick is not good value for Hemsky. If that's all that's being offered (and all due respect to Button I find that hard to believe) then we may as well just keep the player. Katz can afford the $5 million and it won't be a cap problem to carry the contract for one more year.

If MacT trades Hemsky for a second that will not bode well for the future of this club with him as a GM. Second round picks do not help this team in any way. We need real NHL players and we need them now. I thought the whole point of trading Hemsky was to inject more two way tenacity and physical play into the top six? Why in the world would we be moving out an all world skill set for a second round pick at this stage in the game? Hemsky has to go in a package for a player(s) who is going to help this team win games next season.

If I was MacT I'd be dangling a package of Hemsky and the first round pick.
Honest question, which teams do you expect to take Hemsky on at $5 million and give us a really good return?

Yakupov played his best at RW and is ready for the 2RW role. So what is Hemsky? Our 3RW? Are we fine with that and continuing to have a soft team to play against? When was the last time that you recall Hemsky heading to the net for deflections and paying the price in front of the net? I'd take the 2nd round pick (a high 2nd round pick) and his open cap spot over keeping him. Who is to say that we couldn't flip that pick to get the type of players that we desire? We'd have 3 2nd round picks, I'm sure that we could get some damn fine role players if we moved a pair of those picks.

05-20-2013, 10:40 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Honest question, which teams do you expect to take Hemsky on at $5 million and give us a really good return?
Its only for one season, and you can bet wherever he goes they'll be getting a highly motivated Ales Hemsky. So in answer to your question, I imagine any team that isn't up against the cap and needs some secondary offense would take Hemsky for one season. Package him up with the first rounder and I bet a lot of teams become interested.

Quote:
We'd have 3 2nd round picks, I'm sure that we could get some damn fine role players if we moved a pair of those picks.
I'm done with living in a draft pick world man. There is enough talent on this team that any GM worth the title should be able to create a winning team here with a half dozen or so shrewd player transactions or signings. We don't need to worry about drafting more kids who may or may not be NHL players in five years. This is why I'm in favor of trading the first round pick this season. I would certainly take no satisfaction in having amassed three second round picks.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Lindo

I think MacT flips Hemsky for a high-ish 2nd round pick at the draft. Then spends his salary on Stalberg/Bickell/Clarkson/whoever. Yakupov deserves to be in the top 6, and I don't think there's room for Hemsky anymore.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:54 PM
oilers1084

Why are a lot of people on HF assuming Eberle is available?

Old
05-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Its only for one season, and you can bet wherever he goes they'll be getting a highly motivated Ales Hemsky. So in answer to your question, I imagine any team that isn't up against the cap and needs some secondary offense would take Hemsky for one season. Package him up with the first rounder and I bet a lot of teams become interested.
The cap is dropping, so we'd need to target teams with cap space. I'm all for dealing him for useful NHLers if we can get that return, my point is that I'm done with him and likely so are the Oilers organization. He adds nothing that we don't already have on the team. He needs to make way for the next wave of players IMO.

Quote:
I'm done with living in a draft pick world man. There is enough talent on this team that any GM worth the title should be able to create a winning team here with a half dozen or so shrewd player transactions or signings. We don't need to worry about drafting more kids who may or may not be NHL players in five years. This is why I'm in favor of trading the first round pick this season. I would certainly take no satisfaction in having amassed three second round picks.
Our 1st could give us another very solid player, so unless we can add a very solid player that is in their prime and at a reasonable price, I'd sooner keep the pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I think MacT flips Hemsky for a high-ish 2nd round pick at the draft. Then spends his salary on Stalberg/Bickell/Clarkson/whoever. Yakupov deserves to be in the top 6, and I don't think there's room for Hemsky anymore.
Bingo, another name that I'd add to the mix is Horton.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers1084 View Post
Why are a lot of people on HF assuming Eberle is available?
Because a lot of non Oilers fans seem to think that we can't greatly improve the team without dealing one of the big 5

Old
05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Paralyzer008

There is a big risk with Stalberg, by the way.

He was sheltered hard by Quenneville this season, and Edmonton probably needs more of a two-way forward.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:12 PM
armandh01

Why not target Gonchar? Many are high on Streit but I rarely see Gonchar mentioned. I know he's old but he is a hell of a lot better than Streit.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
They have been around since MacT was coach genius. A simple google search could do wonders for some of you
Sure thing genius.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:06 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Hemsky as a 3RW wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if there was a 4th line in place that could play 10-13 ES minutes every night. He's still a useful PP player, and could easily produce versus tertiary shutdown matchups.

Closed Thread