HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Sweden Roster Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 01:28 PM
  #276
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Yes, there are ~5 goalies that could grab a spot behind Lundqvist. I believe Enroth has an edge now and with a solid season next year he will be there.
I loved Enroths play this WC, I'm sooooo impressed!

The level of competion is high though, Lehner and Markström are two young super talanted goalies, not to forget our "veteran" Fasth in Anaheim. Huge mistake of Anaheim playing Hiller in Stanley Cup.

Lehner and Markström is definately among the two most talanted young goalies Sweden ever have had (top 5?). Lehner looks like a true big game goalie, lots of passion for winning. I like Läck too but he has unfortunately struggled with injuries. Läck got big words from Belfour while playing in Leksand, in Belfour I trust.

Lehners stats for this season is impressive. Also MVP when his team won the AHL a couple of seasons ago.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/...3/robin-lehner

Swedens goalie situation looks better than ever, that's for sure.

21 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
  #277
TommySalo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Ericsson is having a great season with Detroit.He must play with N.Kronwall who has improved a lot and both of them have great chemistry.
1 line: Franzen-Zet-Hagelin;Kronwall,Ericsson;
2 line: D.Sedin-H.Sedin-L.Ericsson;OEL,Edler
3 line: M. Johansson-Backstrom-Alfredsson;Hedman-E. Karlsson
4 line: A. Steen-Berglund-Landeskog;Tallinder-Gunarsson

GK-Lundqvist;Enroth,Markstrom

1 line Red Wings
2 line Canucks
3 line Caps+ Senators

TommySalo is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 10:58 PM
  #278
dan1el
Registered User
 
dan1el's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,693
vCash: 500
Sedin(A)-Sedin(A)-Eriksson
Zetterberg(A)-Backstrom-Landeskog
Franzen-Steen-Alfredsson(C)
Johanssen-Berglund-Zibanejad
Hornqvist
Silfverberg

Ekman Larsson-Karlsson
Kronwall-Edler
Enstrom-Ericsson
Hedman-Brodin

Lundqvist
Lindback
Fasth

dan1el is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:10 AM
  #279
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Craig Anderson is holding back Lehner but hopefully you will soon change your mind about Lundqvists backup, I can assure you that.

A weird situation for Lehner in Ottawa.

Lehner is a huge talent, proven himself in the AHL and great stats in the NHL so far, making the best of his chances.

Already a great young goalie but he happened to end up in a team with perhaps the hottest goalie of today, Craig Anderson? At least he outdueled Bishop, another great goalie but perhaps it would have been better for Lehner himself if he was the one traded to Tampa?

I'm pretty hopeful his goals are higher than being a backup goalie.

I will accept him backing up Anderson maxium two more years, hopefully only one. Otherwise he will have to ask for a trade. It worked out for Rask in Boston behind Thomas though. Another world class top Nordic talent, he waited, waited, waited some more and is now the number one goalie in Boston.

I guess I also could accept a 1a/1b solution though with both Ottawa goalies getting a lot of starts.

21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:22 AM
  #280
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,516
vCash: 500
If Lehner ever plays, just make sure to take him out during shootouts. Saying he's been a failure at it so far is giving him credit. If Anderson is ever injured (like right now), you'll find most Sens will have full confidence in Lehner.

HavlatMach9 is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:47 AM
  #281
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
If Lehner ever plays, just make sure to take him out during shootouts. Saying he's been a failure at it so far is giving him credit. If Anderson is ever injured (like right now), you'll find most Sens will have full confidence in Lehner.
As long as Lehner's save procentage stats stay between 93-94% I'm happy and it will be kind of difficult to criticize him.


Last edited by 21: 05-21-2013 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling...
21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:03 AM
  #282
XO
Registered User
 
XO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,621
vCash: 50
I wouldn't be suprised at all if Staffan Kronwall is selected for the Olympics.

XO is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:38 AM
  #283
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
I wouldn't be suprised at all if Staffan Kronwall is selected for the Olympics.
I would, although since Elder probably won't be going his chances have increased.

The untouchables imo: Erik Karlsson, Oliver Ekman Larsson, Niklas Kronwall and Victor Hedman.

2nd tier of defensmen include: Ericsson, Brodin and maybe Enstrom.

3rd tier: Gunnarsson, Gustafsson and Tallinder.

I think he's up against that third tier of defensemen but the problem is that both Tallinder and Gustafsson played better than him in this tournament so I think it will be difficult for Marts to motivate choosing Kronwall at that point.

edit: Oduya and Hjalmarsson are also in the running I think.


Last edited by LaGu: 05-21-2013 at 03:46 AM.
LaGu is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 04:29 AM
  #284
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I would, although since Elder probably won't be going his chances have increased.

The untouchables imo: Erik Karlsson, Oliver Ekman Larsson, Niklas Kronwall and Victor Hedman.

2nd tier of defensmen include: Ericsson, Brodin and maybe Enstrom.

3rd tier: Gunnarsson, Gustafsson and Tallinder.

I think he's up against that third tier of defensemen but the problem is that both Tallinder and Gustafsson played better than him in this tournament so I think it will be difficult for Marts to motivate choosing Kronwall at that point.

edit: Oduya and Hjalmarsson are also in the running I think.
If you have OEL as an untouchable I would say Enstrom is an untouchable as well. Then a guy like Hammer would be extremely valuable as well, extremely good defensively. All our defensenmen can't be offensive stars. I like Oduya but sometimes he is a bit up and down making really bad/risky plays... hmmm... maybe, depending on his season.

Brodin is still young and unexperienced but if his positive development continues, absolutely.

Larsson, Erixon and Rundblad being wildcards, depends on their development.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvnd2CAMP7w


Last edited by 21: 05-21-2013 at 04:34 AM.
21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 04:52 AM
  #285
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
I wouldn't be suprised at all if Staffan Kronwall is selected for the Olympics.
Me neither, I actually think he's close to a lock in Mårts eyes, not that I agree. The only non-NHL guys on this WC team that I would have in the mix is Kronwall and Pettersson for smaller roles. I think Gustafsson improved his chances the most along with Enroth. Guys like Thörnberg and Lundqvist showed they should be nowhere near the team. I had doubts about Landeskog but he is a lock now on my team, always one of the best when it mattered the most.

Huffman is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 04:52 AM
  #286
aphyro
Registered User
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
What about Magnus Pääjärvi Svensson dosent he fit in to the Swedish Olympic team?

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 04:56 AM
  #287
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
What about Magnus Pääjärvi Svensson dosent he fit in to the Swedish Olympic team?
Mårts didn't even invite him to this WC team so right now he shouldn't even be close, anything can happen next season though.

Huffman is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 05:00 AM
  #288
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
What about Magnus Pääjärvi Svensson dosent he fit in to the Swedish Olympic team?
The competition is very high making the team in Sotji, that's for sure.

Päärjärvi for sure have a chance making the team, his speed is needed. Pääjärvi and Hagelin on the same line would be kind of fun watching. ;-)

There is a chance Lander will break through soon as well. I believe Lander has been playing really good in ongoing AHL playoffs for Oklahoma showing what he is capable of.

The Oilers is strange team. Sooooo much talent right now, but still not reaching Stanley Cup playoffs, perhaps next season? There are some question marks for the defense and goalies though.

Pääjärvi and Lander will have to play some really good hockey next season for having a chance making the team, that's for sure.

21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 05:07 AM
  #289
aphyro
Registered User
 
aphyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sundsvall
Country: Sweden
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
The competition is very high making the team in Sotji, that's for sure.

Päärjärvi for sure have a chance making the team, his speed is needed. Pääjärvi and Hagelin on the same line would be kind of fun watching. ;-)

There is a chance Lander will break through soon as well. I believe Lander has been playing really good in ongoing AHL playoffs for Oklahoma showing what he is capable of.

The Oilers is strange team. Sooooo much talent right now, but still not reaching Stanley Cup playoffs, perhaps next season? There are some question marks for the defense and goalies though.

Pääjärvi and Lander will have to play some really good hockey next season for having a chance making the team, that's for sure.
Okay thanks for god answers! I'm not a hardcore hockey fan thats why i might ask some stupid questions:p, but nice to know that i get good answers when I'm asking

aphyro is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 05:14 AM
  #290
Tomas W
Registered User
 
Tomas W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Staffan Kronwall and Joel Lundqvist could make many nhl lineups? As a 6th D and 4th line center atleast? I know they played in the NHL a few years ago but it's weird that they went back?

Was it purely because there were no offers, or did they get home-sick, got better paid in KHL etc?
S.Kronwall could perhaps try another round with the NHL, Joel...not completely out of the question, but unlikely.

Just my opinions/guesses of course.

Tomas W is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 05:17 AM
  #291
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
S.Kronwall could perhaps try another round with the NHL, Joel...not completely out of the question, but unlikely.

Just my opinions/guesses of course.
Personally I think Joel's style of playing hockey fits much better for North America than Sweden but we'll have to wait and see.

I see Joel as a perfect player in a checking line. Joel is the kind of player who deliver more hits than shots, every single game. ;-)

21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 05:42 AM
  #292
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Personally I think Joel's style of playing hockey fits much better for North America than Sweden but we'll have to wait and see.

I see Joel as a perfect player in a checking line. Joel is the kind of player who deliver more hits than shots, every single game. ;-)
He's too slow to be effective on a checking line.

Huffman is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 06:56 AM
  #293
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Taino
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
The competition is very high making the team in Sotji, that's for sure.

Päärjärvi for sure have a chance making the team, his speed is needed. Pääjärvi and Hagelin on the same line would be kind of fun watching. ;-)

There is a chance Lander will break through soon as well. I believe Lander has been playing really good in ongoing AHL playoffs for Oklahoma showing what he is capable of.

The Oilers is strange team. Sooooo much talent right now, but still not reaching Stanley Cup playoffs, perhaps next season? There are some question marks for the defense and goalies though.

Pääjärvi and Lander will have to play some really good hockey next season for having a chance making the team, that's for sure.
I actually think that both Lander and Paajarvi could be called to play 3rd/4th line. But that would require both of them to play great this fall.

Paajarvi has shown to be more than ready to suit up for 3rd line if it is requested of him. Lander could be a Pahlsson type of role player which would be extremely useful.

4th line could be: Paajarvi - Lander - Hagelin

This is all very hypothetical of course, as it stands as of today I don't think that Lander and Paajarvi are even close to a spot if everyone else is healthy.

LaGu is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
  #294
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
I actually think that both Lander and Paajarvi could be called to play 3rd/4th line. But that would require both of them to play great this fall.

Paajarvi has shown to be more than ready to suit up for 3rd line if it is requested of him. Lander could be a Pahlsson type of role player which would be extremely useful.

4th line could be: Paajarvi - Lander - Hagelin

This is all very hypothetical of course, as it stands as of today I don't think that Lander and Paajarvi are even close to a spot if everyone else is healthy.
I agree, speed bullets like Paajarvi is valuable in modern hockey and he will be interesting to follow.

Lander being extremely underrated, his adjustment phase to North American hockey is taking a while but high potential, no doubts. Very allround player with natural leadership skills, could be a clutch player. Hopefully he will prove his offensive skills as well. I believe he scored a couple of goals vs Texas Stars in AHL playoffs recently with 4-5 shots on goal / game. Not sure if he is injured right now though?

Edit: Lander played some very good games vs Texas Stars but is now injured:

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 2m
Officially diagnosed as a "lower-body injury," Lander could be out for a while.

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 4m
#OKCBarons will be without Anton Lander tonight in Gm 4 vs. Texas (Barons lead series 2-1). Big loss. Had scored 4-1-5 in 6 playoff games.


Last edited by 21: 05-21-2013 at 07:30 AM.
21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
  #295
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
I agree, speed bullets like Paajarvi is valuable in modern hockey and he will be interesting to follow.

Lander being extremely underrated, his adjustment phase to North American hockey is taking a while but high potential, no doubts. Very allround player with natural leadership skills, could be a clutch player. Hopefully he will prove his offensive skills as well. I believe he scored a couple of goals vs Texas Stars in AHL playoffs recently with 4-5 shots on goal / game. Not sure if he is injured right now though?

Edit: Lander played some very good games vs Texas Stars but is now injured:

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 2m
Officially diagnosed as a "lower-body injury," Lander could be out for a while.

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 4m
#OKCBarons will be without Anton Lander tonight in Gm 4 vs. Texas (Barons lead series 2-1). Big loss. Had scored 4-1-5 in 6 playoff games.
Don't want any of them and I think Lander has always been overrated, he is a very average player to my eyes. Hagelin, Johansson, Zibanejad, Stalberg, Kruger, Silfverberg, Steen, Berglund, Landeskog and Hornqvist are all better options in my mind.

Huffman is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 07:59 AM
  #296
Hockeyfrilla
Registered User
 
Hockeyfrilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
delete

Hockeyfrilla is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 08:07 AM
  #297
21
Peter The Great
 
21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Don't want any of them and I think Lander has always been overrated, he is a very average player to my eyes. Hagelin, Johansson, Zibanejad, Stalberg, Kruger, Silfverberg, Steen, Berglund, Landeskog and Hornqvist are all better options in my mind.
Why do you think he is overrated, please motivate? Do you base this assumption on his play in Sweden as a 18 and 19 year old or his play in North America?

About Landers leadership skills, extremely young alternate captain in Timrå (SEL) as a 19 year old (!) and captain experience from JWC as well.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=6016

It's kind of dangerous stating players like Lander being overrated, because they are still very young and also adjusting to North American hockey.

I've read a lot of criticism about Landeskog as well, same thing with him, very young and had most of this season spoiled because of a very serious concussion. Landeskog has been dominating every single season until this sesaon, debuting in SEL as a 16 year old. I fully expect him to continue his positive development next season (please, no more concussions).

Their time will come, hopefully. I agree though that it's a longshot stating that Lander will play in Olympics, it's unlikely. Paajarvi and Lander would both have to have true breakout seasons in Edmonton. Even if they have breakout seasons they may not play in Sotji, the competition is this tough. Hopefully at least Paajarvi makes it because we need his speed.


Last edited by 21: 05-21-2013 at 08:14 AM.
21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 08:19 AM
  #298
Everlasting
Registered User
 
Everlasting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somwhere in time
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphyro View Post
What about Magnus Pääjärvi Svensson dosent he fit in to the Swedish Olympic team?
Anton Lander has a better chance.

Everlasting is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 08:31 AM
  #299
Huffman
Registered User
 
Huffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21 View Post
Why do you think he is overrated, please motivate? Do you base this assumption on his play in Sweden as a 18 and 19 year old or his play in North America?

About Landers leadership skills, extremely young alternate captain in Timrå (SEL) and captain experience from JWC as well.

It's kind of dangerous stating players like Lander being overrated, because they are still extremely young.

I've read a lot of criticism about Landeskog as well, same thing with him, very young and had most of his season spoiled because of a serious concussion. Landeskog has been dominating every single season until this sesaon, debuting in SEL as a 16 year old.

Their time will come, hopefully.
Leadership is great, but there are many terrible players with leadership qualities. Lander is not terrible, but he is a very average player in terms of skating, shot, playmaking etc. (fringe NHL'er at the moment). this is the Olympics we're talking about after all. Edmonton fans hyped him up quite a bit, comparing him to Zetterberg and Steen. I think he could turn into a Samuel Påhlsson type of player in the NHL one day but he's got a long way to go. I saw him play in Timrå and last year with the Oilers and a little bit this year and I have never changed my opinion on him.

Huffman is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
  #300
Spinkis
Registered User
 
Spinkis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Lander? MPS? Are you guys kidding?

Who should they replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Sedin(A)-Sedin(A)-Eriksson
Zetterberg(A)-Backstrom-Landeskog
Franzen-Steen-Alfredsson(C)
Johanssen-Berglund-Zibanejad
Hornqvist
Silfverberg
+ Hagelin, Stålberg, Backlund, Nyquist, Andersson

Spinkis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.