HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft big players : Nhl realty now

Old
05-21-2013, 05:24 AM
weber32*

vCash: 500
Draft big players : Nhl realty now

THE NHL REALITY NOW : DRAFT BIG FAST GOOD SKATER PLAYERS

HAWKS SCOUTS: WORk TO GET THESES PLAYERS RIGHT NOW.

weber32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

It worked fine with Olsen and Beach, didn't it? Jury still out on McNeill but I would think he fits those 2 more than not.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:33 AM
weber32*

KANE , KRUGER , KEITH , ODUYA , are good BUT TOO SMALL PLAYERS , SORRY .

weber32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

If you could find 2 players with the exact same skill set you would obviously take the bigger player but that's usually isn't the case.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:32 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
It worked fine with Olsen and Beach, didn't it? Jury still out on McNeill but I would think he fits those 2 more than not.
Fast, good skater? When was that ever the scouting report on Kyle Beach?

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Size for the sake of drafting size is beyond stupid. If you can draft a guy that's 6'4" because he's the BPA, then go for it. Otherwise, skill > size.

Chicago doesn't lack size in their system anyways:

Brandon Saad - 6'2", 205lbs
Mark McNeill - 6'2", 210lbs
Kevin Hayes - 6'3", 205lbs
Jimmy Hayes - 6'5", 215lbs
Chris Calnan - 6'2, 190lbs

What was this thread born out of? Chicago being down 2-1 against Detroit? Because if there's one team that emphasises size and grit, it's Detroit.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:34 PM
BobbyJet

Although I agree with the premise, not all small players play like they are. They are the players you want, if they're undersized. Z and D are perfect examples, so is Martin St Louis. On Hawks, if Saad ever figures out how good he can be, we have an elite power forward in the making.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:27 PM
hawksfan50

This theory explains why Getzlaf Perry and Ryan are out...why Bigger Toews has Zero goals but little Pageau in Ottawa and little Krug in Boston have provided scoring impact for their yeams...it explains why Big Seabrook is worth $5 million plus despite impersonating a pylonin the playoffs. ..Could tje Jawks use. a Lucic or a Byfiglien...sure. ..what team wouldn't want such difference-maksr Big giys. .but they are mot that numerous..Big can skate and hit and score. But as seen with ANH it still can fail...look we do not want to be MTL tony...but you do not need 4 lines of big like L.A....anf you still need hreat not just good enpugj gpaltending...and you still mrrd competence from your big guys...not pylon play like we have gotten from Seabrook these playoffs. As for Kane beong too small...is his one and out minimal impact due to his size or to his loss of intetest...no longer on a mission to prove he is the dofference-maker, is thos due to size or just a lack of will? I think the latter.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
This theory explains why Getzlaf Perry and Ryan are out...why Bigger Toews has Zero goals but little Pageau in Ottawa and little Krug in Boston have provided scoring impact for their yeams...it explains why Big Seabrook is worth $5 million plus despite impersonating a pylonin the playoffs. ..Could tje Jawks use. a Lucic or a Byfiglien...sure. ..what team wouldn't want such difference-maksr Big giys. .but they are mot that numerous..Big can skate and hit and score. But as seen with ANH it still can fail...look we do not want to be MTL tony...but you do not need 4 lines of big like L.A....anf you still need hreat not just good enpugj gpaltending...and you still mrrd competence from your big guys...not pylon play like we have gotten from Seabrook these playoffs. As for Kane beong too small...is his one and out minimal impact due to his size or to his loss of intetest...no longer on a mission to prove he is the dofference-maker, is thos due to size or just a lack of will? I think the latter.
I don't think it's really a size issue as much as a personality issue. Some guys don't like the physical contact, we have an overabundance of guys like that and it makes for tough going when the going gets tough.

We don't have Dmen who like to bomb from the point, makes PP difficult especially if nobody goes to the front.

It is a lot of talented players but not the right blend of skills, IMO.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:02 PM
SLarmer28

How about drafting tough hockey players?

For example, 2006 NHL Draft Second Round - 61st overall:

Defenseman Simon Danis-Suckage (the human toothpick) instead of defenseman Eric Gryba

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Fast, good skater? When was that ever the scouting report on Kyle Beach?
The same could be said for Dylan Olsen.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Esse

This is such a weird thread.

Esse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Hawks82

Quote:
As for Kane beong too small...is his one and out minimal impact due to his size or to his loss of intetest...no longer on a mission to prove he is the dofference-maker, is thos due to size or just a lack of will? I think the latter.
What the **** are you talking about? Must be a rather thin line between insight and insanity.

Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
SLarmer28

Quote:
As for Kane beong too small...is his one and out minimal impact due to his size or to his loss of intetest...no longer on a mission to prove he is the dofference-maker, is thos due to size or just a lack of will? I think the latter.
Just quit posting on this message board.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Kane has 2 goals in this series, and 8 points in 8 playoff games. Clearly, he's lost all interest. He's more of a regular season guy anyways. Once he wasn't nominated for the Hart, he mailed it in.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 05:16 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
I don't think it's really a size issue as much as a personality issue. Some guys don't like the physical contact, we have an overabundance of guys like that and it makes for tough going when the going gets tough.

We don't have Dmen who like to bomb from the point, makes PP difficult especially if nobody goes to the front.

It is a lot of talented players but not the right blend of skills, IMO.
And you'd be right.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:03 PM
madgoat33

i think the coaching philosophy has alot to do with it. doesn't seem like physicality is emphasized at all

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:10 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
i think the coaching philosophy has alot to do with it. doesn't seem like physicality is emphasized at all
Scouts will always be looking for size, but the real secret is to find the combination of character first, with size and of course skill. Mark Messier is first to come to mind, and in today's NHL, Lucic is a fine example. People laugh, but I have always considered Messier as a better player than Gretzky, even when both were in their prime and Gretzky was racking up something like 200 pts in a season.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:49 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Carter HUTTON???

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Scouts will always be looking for size, but the real secret is to find the combination of character first, with size and of course skill. Mark Messier is first to come to mind, and in today's NHL, Lucic is a fine example. People laugh, but I have always considered Messier as a better player than Gretzky, even when both were in their prime and Gretzky was racking up something like 200 pts in a season.
Gretzky was better than Measure.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:54 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
lucic? hes a monster. I'd say marchand is abetter example. same with philly carcillo. the hawks coaches seem to have aknack for turning previously physical and/or big guys into relatively docile creampuffs

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Elverpond

this thread is so stupid, the last thing i want to see is people believing in one philosophy. I miss the old nhl when everyone had their own ideas of how to build a team and if you really put some thought and work into it. This is chess. There are many ways to win this game. Somewhere along the line after the lockout everybody decided to dump n hump(chase) or playing long passes from the d-men to the wingers on the blue line which is essentially just dumping it in when you're being lazy. for christ sakes do we have to take everything creative out of this game? **** "big" players.

Elverpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Messier better than Gretzky?

that day will be great, good laugh to start my day.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

There is a much better argument to be made for Lemieux then Messier.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:06 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:

I would put Gretzky as "greatest player of all time" and Messier as "10-15"...and honestly, at various points in his career, i would have taken Yzerman over Messier for heaven's sake.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote