HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is Henrik Lundqvist An HOFer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2013, 08:45 PM
  #151
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I think he was being sarcastic.
Not really, more like highlighting the absurdity of the word several the way it was used.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:46 PM
  #152
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No, look at a guy like Chuck Rayner. Never really on a great team. Certainly never won a Cup either. Roy Worters has a playoff record of - hold onto your hats - 3-6 and is a HHOFer. But he has a Hart Trophy, two 2nd team all-stars and a Vezina trophy. The year he won the Hart (1929) they didn't even have the season end all-star nods yet. So they certainly can recognize great goalies on poor teams. In other words, it may be a bit of a stigma for a great goalie to never win a Cup, but it isn't going to keep you out of the HHOF beyond a shadow of a doubt.




Well maybe one of them will get in. But the point is that Lundqvist doesn't even have the resume yet of those guys I mentioned. Not even Liut. He has a ways to go.
The best goalie in the league over an eight year period and he is not in Liut territory yet?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
  #153
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
No, look at a guy like Chuck Rayner. Never really on a great team. Certainly never won a Cup either. Roy Worters has a playoff record of - hold onto your hats - 3-6 and is a HHOFer. But he has a Hart Trophy, two 2nd team all-stars and a Vezina trophy. The year he won the Hart (1929) they didn't even have the season end all-star nods yet. So they certainly can recognize great goalies on poor teams. In other words, it may be a bit of a stigma for a great goalie to never win a Cup, but it isn't going to keep you out of the HHOF beyond a shadow of a doubt.




Well maybe one of them will get in. But the point is that Lundqvist doesn't even have the resume yet of those guys I mentioned. Not even Liut. He has a ways to go.
After Lundqvist's playoffs last year and then being a Vezina finalist yet again this year, I don't see how anyone can possibly have him under Mike Liut

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 08:53 PM
  #154
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
After Lundqvist's playoffs last year and then being a Vezina finalist yet again this year, I don't see how anyone can possibly have him under Mike Liut
And the way these playoffs have gone so far.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:31 AM
  #155
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,032
vCash: 500
Aside from single-handedly winning most of his wins, HE kept all(but 3) of his losses from total
embarassment.

...and Dan Marino didn't belong in Canton??


Last edited by CHGoalie27: 05-19-2013 at 09:38 AM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:44 AM
  #156
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
After Lundqvist's playoffs last year and then being a Vezina finalist yet again this year, I don't see how anyone can possibly have him under Mike Liut
UHHHH... LOL Don't pay any attention to people who "think" like that as they don't deserve attention.

LOL I love how most people commenting against him sound like they don't regularly watch NYR games....come on people-tell me more about his stats that were printed by someone who actually saw the game that save you from sounding truly knowledgable.

On a stat sheet, the difference between a 'bad goal' and a goal where the goal-scorer is left alone in front is NOTHING. Sounds like many don't care about the difference if you even recognize it.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
  #157
Hot Water Bottle
a.k.a. Prawo Jazdy
 
Hot Water Bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
He seems to me like this generation's Eddie Giacomin, from what I've heard. If he plays out a full career at a high level, he'll probably have the respect and recognition to be a HOFer even without being on a Cup winning team.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:15 AM
  #158
Jonimaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
He seems to me like this generation's Eddie Giacomin, from what I've heard. If he plays out a full career at a high level, he'll probably have the respect and recognition to be a HOFer even without being on a Cup winning team.
He has several more Vezina season in him. Granted we don't see any new goalie emerge as a top dog, he'll have a good shot at winning at least like 2 more of them. He lost a few due to average/good goalies having fantastic years to not really be close to that level again.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:36 AM
  #159
Loto68
Registered User
 
Loto68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
He has several more Vezina season in him. Granted we don't see any new goalie emerge as a top dog, he'll have a good shot at winning at least like 2 more of them. He lost a few due to average/good goalies having fantastic years to not really be close to that level again.
If Bob didn't play of out him mind far beyond what any sane person could have expected, Henke would probably be picking up a second one this year.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 01:30 PM
  #160
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
After Lundqvist's playoffs last year and then being a Vezina finalist yet again this year, I don't see how anyone can possibly have him under Mike Liut
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
The best goalie in the league over an eight year period and he is not in Liut territory yet?
Mike Liut led all goalies in wins in the 1980s. 294-271-74 record. 29-32 playoff record. 1981 Pearson Winner over none other than Wayne Gretzky. First team all-star in 1981, Second team in 1987. Finished top 6 three times in the Hart voting.

Lundqvist 276-171-57 record. 29-34 in the postseason and likely to lose in the second round here. Vezina in 2012. First teamer in 2012.

Lundqvist hasn't been much of a playoff goalie, just like Liut, but if his career ended tomorrow he isn't in the HHOF. Best goalie over an 8 year spell? Very arguable and not something I agree with either. Give the guy time, but he isn't this legend he tends to be painted as yet. Projection is something that clouds the judgement of people rather than the actual current accomplishments right now. He's still a tier below the current crop of goalies that are somewhat a tier below the HHOF.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:05 PM
  #161
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Mike Liut led all goalies in wins in the 1980s. 294-271-74 record. 29-32 playoff record. 1981 Pearson Winner over none other than Wayne Gretzky. First team all-star in 1981, Second team in 1987. Finished top 6 three times in the Hart voting.

Lundqvist 276-171-57 record. 29-34 in the postseason and likely to lose in the second round here. Vezina in 2012. First teamer in 2012.

Lundqvist hasn't been much of a playoff goalie, just like Liut, but if his career ended tomorrow he isn't in the HHOF. Best goalie over an 8 year spell? Very arguable and not something I agree with either. Give the guy time, but he isn't this legend he tends to be painted as yet. Projection is something that clouds the judgement of people rather than the actual current accomplishments right now. He's still a tier below the current crop of goalies that are somewhat a tier below the HHOF.
Alright, then who's the best goalie over the past 8 seasons?

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...y=games_goalie

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:27 PM
  #162
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Alright, then who's the best goalie over the past 8 seasons?
Tim Thomas.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:36 PM
  #163
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Tim Thomas.
Yeah NOOOO

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:38 PM
  #164
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
This. He's never even been that far in the playoffs. Why would anyone suggest he could even be close to being a HOFer?

I swear it should be renamed the "Hall of Not So Bad". You should need a serious collection of trophies and the Stanely Cup to get in.
This takes the cake for worst post in the thread.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
  #165
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Tim Thomas.
For being two save percentage points better over 137 fewer games? And barely better than the other Boston goalies over this time?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:00 PM
  #166
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
For being two save percentage points better over 137 fewer games? And barely better than the other Boston goalies over this time?
Two save percentage titles, two Vezinas, two 1st Team selections, and one of the better Conn Smythe Trophies of the era. And those two points.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:02 PM
  #167
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
I'll take the guy who did two points less for 35% more games, any day. And of course that's assuming one ignores team influence on save percentage... which one shouldn't do.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:54 AM
  #168
MadArcand
We do not sow
 
MadArcand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pyke
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'll take the guy who did two points less for 35% more games, any day. And of course that's assuming one ignores team influence on save percentage... which one shouldn't do.
This is true if we look just on their save%... but you can't gloss over the fact that Thomas accomplished thrice as much awards-wise.

MadArcand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:58 AM
  #169
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
This is true if we look just on their save%... but you can't gloss over the fact that Thomas accomplished thrice as much awards-wise.
so you're an award counter then?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:21 AM
  #170
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
and if award voting is the only thing that matters, over the last 8 seasons Lundqvist has earned more Vezina votes than Thomas, and by a wide margin, too.

24-23-45.

Thomas is 39-10-8. And of course that is all from two seasons.

save percentages of top post-lockout goalies compared to cumulative team sv% (using the 12 who can be associated mainly with one franchise):

Lundqvist: .920 vs. .901, +19
Kiprusoff: .912 vs. .898, +14
Miller: .916 vs. .904, +12
Ward: .910 vs. .898, +12
Thomas: .922 vs. .913, +9
Fleury: .910 vs. .902, +8
Luongo: .919 vs. .912, +7
Rinne: .919 vs. .913, +6
Brodeur: .914 vs. .909, +5
Price: .915 vs. .912, +3
Backstrom: .917 vs. .915, +2
Nabokov, .910 vs. .913, -3

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:37 AM
  #171
MadArcand
We do not sow
 
MadArcand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pyke
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
so you're an award counter then?
No more than you're a stat worshiper.

MadArcand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:49 AM
  #172
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
No more than you're a stat worshiper.
way to miss the point.

whether talking about stats or awards, you're speaking from the standpoint that winning once is better than not winning, regardless of how close one gets or how often. Or, in the case of Thomas/Lundqvist, twice vs. once. That's missing the forest for the trees.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:03 AM
  #173
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I'll take the guy who did two points less for 35% more games, any day. And of course that's assuming one ignores team influence on save percentage... which one shouldn't do.
I'm not ignoring team influence. In fact, I was discussing it with you in the Top 40 thread until you stopped responding to legitimate points raised by both TCG and myself.

Only four goaltenders have led the league in save percentage as a starter multiple times since the statistic became official: Roy, Hasek, Belfour, and Thomas. Thomas did it with leads of .007 and .008. Belfour did it with leads of .004 and less than .001, meaning we haven't seen a goaltender do what Thomas did in those two seasons since Hasek in 95/98/99 and Roy in 89/90. And Thomas' save percentage jumps up in the playoffs both in terms of cumulative numbers and game-to-game consistency, with one of the runs being a .940 Conn Smythe when the league average was .911.

Lundqvist has consistency, but Thomas has an incredibly high peak (I just compared it to Hasek and Roy) that makes up 25% of the eight year sample. You realize Thomas' leads over his own backups during his Vezina years were by .023 and .020, yes? The fact that Rask is better than the New York backups doesn't make Lundqvist better at stopping the puck; Rask could've come into the league as a #1 goaltender and been successful.

So for Lundqvist to be higher than Thomas in an eight-year sample, he should either have two save percentage titles (his highest finish is fourth), a higher cumulative save percentage (he doesn't), a better playoff resume (he has a penchant for playing as many below average games as above average games), or more trophies (he collected fewer than 10/30 Vezina votes every season from 2007-2011 for having high-GP stats, only winning one Vezina to Thomas' two and a Conn Smythe).

I mean, the difference in GP is practically the same as the difference in GP between Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby. It's not that big of a deal, considering Boston was trying to play Rask as much as possible since he was the goalie of the future. If you think a concentrated number of GP would have negatively impacted Tim Thomas, may I suggest the 2005-06 season (38 games in 95 days; 7th in save percentage) and the 2011 playoffs (25 games in 62 days; Conn Smythe)?

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:33 AM
  #174
MadArcand
We do not sow
 
MadArcand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pyke
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
way to miss the point.

whether talking about stats or awards, you're speaking from the standpoint that winning once is better than not winning, regardless of how close one gets or how often. Or, in the case of Thomas/Lundqvist, twice vs. once. That's missing the forest for the trees.
Remind me again how close did Lundqvist get to a Conn Smythe?

MadArcand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
  #175
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,281
vCash: 500
Sure Thomas has the higher peak, between him and Lundqvist, but he also has the lower valleys and there is the question of GP and consistency.

511 (2nd) for Lundqvist and 374 (12th) for Thomas. Then there is the point of having Chara for well over 1/3 of the game out there to patrol the backside while Thomas is aggressive on the shooter.

Maybe Thomas is the best goalie of the lockout, if he actually plays last season or before losing his job to Task, then earning it back.

There is no maybe with Lundvist, he has been consistently excellent since the lockout and is a well deserving #1 goalie over that time period.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.