HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Patrick Roy - Next Head Coach of the Avs?

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
izlez

vCash: 500
This makes me sad that this is happening as the Wings are moving East. Pretty sure everyone here still *** hates Roy and this could help spark the hatred and rivalry back up

Old
05-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
Here's the Facebook post in question (french speakers, notice his jab at Michel Therrien in the comments)

You have a direct link to his Facebook page? Can't seem to find it.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
GrafSk8r12

Hopefully he'll get into a fight with another coach and we can hear this again:

Old
05-21-2013, 09:55 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
You have a direct link to his Facebook page? Can't seem to find it.
I can't find the link right now...but I went to it last night and his page had no privacy settings...so you could see the post. The facebook screen caps are legit.

ETA: i found the link (pm me if you want it, b/c i probably shouldn't just post it on a message board)...the posts about the coaching have been taken down, though...but they were up last night b/c i saw them myself.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:14 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I can't find the link right now...but I went to it last night and his page had no privacy settings...so you could see the post. The facebook screen caps are legit.

ETA: i found the link (pm me if you want it, b/c i probably shouldn't just post it on a message board)...the posts about the coaching have been taken down, though...but they were up last night b/c i saw them myself.
Yeah please send it to me in pm! Would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old
05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymond Flurrie View Post
Could you list me successful NHL head coaches that had never coached adults before, even as an assistant coach?

(Seriously, I have no idea, you might be able to put together a very nice list)

edit. Forgot that Guy Boucher coached in AHL first, so definitely he doesn't count.

edit. At least the coaches that won Jack Adams Award since the 2005 lockout all had either
1) Coached in NHL as an assistant coach
or
2) Coached adults (mostly AHL) as a head coach
or
3) Both
fwiw, I believe the only current NHL head coach that went straight from coaching major juniors to a head coaching position in the NHL: Peter DeBoer. Everyone else had head coaching experience in lower pro leagues (IHL/AHL/ECHL) and/or time as an assistant coach in the NHL.

*Was Therrien with the Habs already as an assistant before becoming head coach in the middle of the 2000-2001 season?

edit: correction. That's what I get for looking up Therrien on wikipedia.

Last edited by mouser: 05-21-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old
05-21-2013, 10:50 AM
benusmc

The Avs are such a terribly run organization. So you mean to tell me they are going to have a rookie GM, with a rookie coach, running a young team. Yeah that's a real recipe for success, who's next years #1 draft pick because they will be a lotto team again.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
fwiw, I believe only two current NHL head coaches went straight from coaching major juniors to a head coaching position in the NHL: Peter DeBoer and Michel Therrien. Everyone else had head coaching experience in lower pro leagues (IHL/AHL/ECHL) and/or time as an assistant coach in the NHL.
Therrien coached in the AHL.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Therrien coached in the AHL.
Yes, after being named a NHL head coach.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Yes, after being named a NHL head coach.
No, before.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
No, before.
Ah, couldn't find that info in his biography.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:57 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Ah, couldn't find that info in his biography.
He coached for the Habs' AHL affiliate for a few years before replacing Vigneault

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6142

Old
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Bowman also started in NHL in so different era that I don't know if he can be used as an example. DeBoer had closer to 15 years of junior coaching experience, but sure, I think he qualifies as a coach like that.
FWIW unless I'm misreading what you're saying in regard to Scotty Bowman

Bowman had 10 yrs as a head coach (mostly in Major JrA) before joining the Blues, both DeBoer and Scotty had people to answer to, Roy did not as the owner. There will be a different dynamic in place having to answer to the guy who writes the cheques.

there is a reason the Canadiens decided not to pursue him as head coach and instead decided to pick a guy who has worked for them before.

either way good on the Avs, they need to change a lot of things

Old
05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
fwiw, I believe the only current NHL head coach that went straight from coaching major juniors to a head coaching position in the NHL: Peter DeBoer. Everyone else had head coaching experience in lower pro leagues (IHL/AHL/ECHL) and/or time as an assistant coach in the NHL.

*Was Therrien with the Habs already as an assistant before becoming head coach in the middle of the 2000-2001 season?

edit: correction. That's what I get for looking up Therrien on wikipedia.
Taking this a bit further: The Jack Adams Award Winners who had never coached adults before taking NHL head coaching position:
Bob Pulford (Coached nothing before taking over Kings coaching in 1972. Winner of 1975 Jack Adams Award).
Al Arbour (Coached nothing before taking over Blues coaching in 1970. Winner of 1979 Jack Adams Award).
Glen Sather (Coached nothing before taking over Oilers coaching in 1977. Winner of 1986 Jack Adams Award).
Brian Sutter (Coached nothing before taking over Blues coaching in 1988. Winner of 1991 Jack Adams Award).

Things to note:
-All of these are Western Conference coaches.
-No-one has done it in the latest expansion era (counting Sharks as the first expansion team).
-Sather coached Oilers in WHA so technically he wasn't a rookie coach in NHL.

edit. Duh, of course there were expansions between 1967 and 1991.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:26 AM
benusmc

Quote:
Taking this a bit further: The Jack Adams Award Winners who had never coached adults before taking NHL head coaching position:
Bob Pulford (Coached nothing before taking over Kings coaching in 1972. Winner of 1975 Jack Adams Award).
Al Arbour (Coached nothing before taking over Blues coaching in 1970. Winner of 1979 Jack Adams Award).
Glen Sather (Coached nothing before taking over Oilers coaching in 1977. Winner of 1986 Jack Adams Award).
Brian Sutter (Coached nothing before taking over Blues coaching in 1988. Winner of 1991 Jack Adams Award).

Things to note:
-All of these are Western Conference coaches.
-No-one has done it in the latest expansion era (counting Sharks as the first expansion team).
-Sather coached Oilers in WHA so technically he wasn't a rookie coach in NHL.

edit. Duh, of course there were expansions between 1967 and 1991.
Well good thing there is a long track record of success, guess I should retract my earlier statement

Old
05-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by benusmc View Post
The Avs are such a terribly run organization. So you mean to tell me they are going to have a rookie GM, with a rookie coach, running a young team. Yeah that's a real recipe for success, who's next years #1 draft pick because they will be a lotto team again.
This is very close to what they had with Sacco/Sherman/Varlamov a while ago. Now the goalie is not a rookie (as a starter), but assuming they begin the season with Siemens/Jones/Elliott/Barrie as four of their d-men, that's missing experience even worse.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by benusmc View Post
The GM is Greg Sherman and he just completed his 4th season in the NHL.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

So many ignorant things said in this thread.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:22 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
This is very close to what they had with Sacco/Sherman/Varlamov a while ago. Now the goalie is not a rookie (as a starter), but assuming they begin the season with Siemens/Jones/Elliott/Barrie as four of their d-men, that's missing experience even worse.
Varlamov wasn't a rookie when they traded for him. And he had previously been a starter, including the playoffs.

Siemens is probably another year away. Barrie and Elliott both have some NHL experience, and neither looked completely out of place last season. With the right partners, they should be ok. And Jones is BPA in a very strong draft. He was a stud at the World Juniors, and could be ready for NHL duty.

Jones - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Elliott

Of course, with O'Brien, Hunwick and Zanon still on 1-way contracts, that makes it possible that one of the youngsters is back in Lake Erie next season. Assuming a trade doesn't happen, that is.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:20 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by izlez View Post
This makes me sad that this is happening as the Wings are moving East. Pretty sure everyone here still *** hates Roy and this could help spark the hatred and rivalry back up
^^^ That's crazy talk. Nobody could hate St. Patrick.

05-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
Varlamov wasn't a rookie when they traded for him. And he had previously been a starter, including the playoffs.
Regular season high was 27 games. That's not a starter. Even if you argue that there were injuries or that he got a spot in middle of the season, that's still what I consider "a rookie starter". And since Avs knew that they need someone to get them into the playoffs instead of performing in the playoffs (to begin with), the regular season consistency was the #1 thing they needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
Siemens is probably another year away. Barrie and Elliott both have some NHL experience, and neither looked completely out of place last season. With the right partners, they should be ok. And Jones is BPA in a very strong draft. He was a stud at the World Juniors, and could be ready for NHL duty.

Jones - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Wilson - Elliott

Of course, with O'Brien, Hunwick and Zanon still on 1-way contracts, that makes it possible that one of the youngsters is back in Lake Erie next season. Assuming a trade doesn't happen, that is.
While I agree with this one, Barrie and Elliott haven't shown yet that they are ok to be counted on for a full season. Jones is not even drafted yet, so he couldn't be more unproven in NHL. This does not say that all of them or even one of them will fail, but the point is that Avs are going to the season with a very inexperienced group of which most likely will struggle a lot when they hit the hard times. When the hard times hit, who are you going to ask what are we supposed to do?

Old
05-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Head? Haha.

As a goalie coach, why not? But there are about 5000+ better coaches out there.
Why don't you name a few?

Old
05-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Guy Germaine

If this happens, think it's a given that the Avs draft either MacKinnon or Drouin?

Old
05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
If this happens, think it's a given that the Avs draft either MacKinnon or Drouin?
Not at all.

Old
05-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Jaymond Flurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
First of all, Avs needs a defenseman. That's 100% certain. Secondary, it is surely not head coach who makes those drafting decisions.

I really don't understand why Avs would not draft Jones.

Closed Thread