HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who's to stay and who's to leave?

Old
05-20-2013, 03:55 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I can't believe we're still arguing about this. Habs are SOFT. OK? Do you understand this? They are regarded as a SOFT team. They are unwilling to go to the dirty areas save for a 5'7 rookie. Their game is perimeter. When the game gets physical, they wilt. OK? SOFT They have 3 players in their top 6 that are under 5'8. This is a problem especially in the playoffs.

Detroit and Chicago are not soft teams. Are they big, bruising teams? No. But they can handle their own. I think Chicago is a little softer but they can play any kind of game.

They not only need bigger players, they need bigger players who will play physical hockey. Do they need skilled players? Of course, but you need a good mix of many aspects to be successful. Habs are missing many key elements starting with size and toughness...especially on the back end.

I'm not sure why this is lost on so many Habs fans.

Marchand plays the way he does because it's an organizational identity. Bruins players know that they need to play on the edge. This is why you'll see a guy like Horton come to Boston and turn into a pseudo-goon. Ask a Bruins player what is expected of them and they will talk about physicality and toughness.
:han dclap:

couldnt say it better myself

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:37 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

I'm not ignoring the evidence, I have refuted it countless times and I don't feel like repeating the comprehensive dismantling of your non-argument in every post.

We're not Detroit and Chicago, we're a northeast division team. We have Buffalo, Ottawa, Toronto, and Boston in our division, four tough teams. This season we rocked in games outside the division and sulked against division rivals. We faced a division rival in the playoffs, and we were easily dispatched, which was easily predictable.

We're in the toughest division in hockey, we should adjust our strategy to suit our rivals.
I disagree with this line of reasoning. We should adjust our team because when the skilled/speedy guys are off their game it would be nice to get a boost from another direction. It takes more than one element to win hockey games.

Us needing to do this has nothing to do with Boston/Toronto/Ottawa/Buffalo and everything to do with us. We're too one dimensional, but when we play our game, we beat Boston/Toronto ect. We get into trouble when we try to match their physical game. Speed kills, but when it doesn't or is off, we need another approach.

Doing the same thing over and again and expecting different results is what the Habs have been doing for over a decade. We need a couple of pieces in this area and one of them needs to be a legit heavyweight. If he can play or if he really can't, I don't care, the scrubs we currently ice on the 4th line can't play either.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I disagree with this line of reasoning. We should adjust our team because when the skilled/speedy guys are off their game it would be nice to get a boost from another direction. It takes more than one element to win hockey games.

Us needing to do this has nothing to do with Boston/Toronto/Ottawa/Buffalo and everything to do with us. We're too one dimensional, but when we play our game, we beat Boston/Toronto ect. We get into trouble when we try to match their physical game. Speed kills, but when it doesn't or is off, we need another approach.

Doing the same thing over and again and expecting different results is what the Habs have been doing for over a decade. We need a couple of pieces in this area and one of them needs to be a legit heavyweight. If he can play or if he really can't, I don't care, the scrubs we currently ice on the 4th line can't play either.
I don't think it's legitimate to ignore that the Habs were comprehensively demolished by their division rivals this season. Our second place ranking came entirely from beating up on the rest of the conference, which is on average softer.

Had we faced the Rangers, the Penguins, or the Capitals in the first round, we might be in the second round right now. Instead we faced a tough team and thus were neutralized, Canadiens players were basically dominated, rounded up, and executed. The Habs lack full-spectrum excellence at this time, we match up very well against one style and very poorly against another style. The style we match up poorly against is precisely that of our division rivals, whom we face more often than other teams.

I am in complete agreement with your last paragraph.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:15 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
I don't think it's legitimate to ignore that the Habs were comprehensively demolished by their division rivals this season. Our second place ranking came entirely from beating up on the rest of the conference, which is on average softer.

Had we faced the Rangers, the Penguins, or the Capitals in the first round, we might be in the second round right now. Instead we faced a tough team and thus were neutralized, Canadiens players were basically dominated, rounded up, and executed. The Habs lack full-spectrum excellence at this time, we match up very well against one style and very poorly against another style. The style we match up poorly against is precisely that of our division rivals, whom we face more often than other teams.

Our losing record against our division has nothing to do with physicality. Our division was just stronger than the rest of the conference as evidenced by the fact that all teams made the playoffs with the exception of Buffalo.

Logically, it stands to reason we would have a harder time against the better teams. To go read other things into this, I think, is a mistake.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Our losing record against our division has nothing to do with physicality. Our division was just stronger than the rest of the conference as evidenced by the fact that all teams made the playoffs with the exception of Buffalo.

Logically, it stands to reason we would have a harder time against the better teams. To go read other things into this, I think, is a mistake.
OK.

Let's trade Brandon Prust for Nathan Gerbe.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:37 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
OK.

Let's trade Brandon Prust for Nathan Gerbe.
You're usually pretty reasonable. I don't understand how you went from my post to that.

Old
05-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Lshap

Quote:

I like a lot of what you've written the last couple of pages, but don't fall off the edge into total exaggeration. The Habs were NOT demolished by our division. As E = CH² said, we were in a strong division. Even then, we dominated Boston, we righted the ship enough to whip the Leafs two out of the last three games, and we had a good record against Ottawa. Check out the inter-division records of the NE teams against each other:

MTL: 9-6-3
BOST: 10-6-2
TOR: 10-6-2
OTT: 7-8-3
BUFF: 9-7-2

Practically the same as Boston and Toronto and better than Ottawa. Our worst record was against the Atlantic division: 7-6-2. From that division, only Philly played us with any real physicality. Nobody demolished Montreal, which is why they finished 2nd in the EC.

And all your hyperbole about being rounded up and executed (though I dig the metaphor) really comes down to two playoff games where the Habs tried to act tough, but failed. In the end, we were executed by injuries and a couple of stupid undisciplined games. Wanna' pretend our entire season didn't happen? Your choice, but you ignore the fact that this team had an amazing season and is 90% there.

As to the remaining 10%, yeah, that's where we agree the Habs need more size - especially on D. But we need those bigger guys to wreck the other team's offensive setups and clear their forwards from around our net. We need a very functional type of size to get the puck out of our damn zone and crowd the other team's net; we don't need size for some vague notion of being 'tougher'.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:08 PM
yianik

I don't think its a coincidence that aside from PK ( 21 ) the guys that had the most SOG for us were Gallagher ( 22 ) and Bourque ( 17 ). Now I know it can be risky to rely on any one stat, but these 2 also attacked the Ottawa slot and stood their ground there more than anyone else, they were effective and dangerous. In contrast Gio was on pace for 13 shots ( and he plays perimeter now ), Ryder only had 8 shots and DD, 3.

I think speed and skill are the 2 most important features a team must have but you need to have toughness ( willing to pay the price, like Gallagher and Bourgue ) and physicality ( like Bourque who has the size and willingness to use it, Gallagher doesn't and that's why his toughness is off the charts ). Trying to have this in every player is impossible unless you are willing to fill up your line-up with 4th liners. So its fine to have terrific players like Pleks who doesn't have that level of toughness or physicality as long as you have a dude like Bourque playing on his wing. Wonderful also to have a game breaker that's all about skill like Vanek or Stamkos, but those are rare birds, could always find a spot for one of them of course.

We are too small in that we have so many guys under that league average of I think 6 foot 1 and 190 lbs for forwards, just a fact isn't it ? We also don't have that many guys who are tough, or that are physical. I don't think we need a wholesale change of the line-up or anything but I sure as heck think the guy replacing Ryder ( Im assuming hes gone ) needs to have toughness and physicality as well as skill because to me its just clear we need at least one guy like that on each line and DD and Patches need something that's for sure. I hate the pounding Gallagher takes but I think both Eller and Galchenyuk have some toughness and physical play they can kick in with so hopefully Gallagher doesn't carry the whole load on that line. I know Moen ( not in most peoples good books these days ) and Army kick in with other abilities, like PK, but I sure wish they were more energy and aggressive with their good sized bodies, and that theyd fight and fight well when needed. I like players like Ryan Reaves, Matt Martin, and Jared Boll.

On the D even with our depth and even with Tinordi ( give him time on the bottom pairing ) we need a big and physical crease clearer, like Grossman of the Flyers. The Sens were just cutting through our slot at will or standing in it and just backing our guys up till they were on top of Price. We need guys to move opposing players out of the crease and to make them pay a price if they try do dangle or give and go their way into the slot. Emelin is fine, when he returns. though more big hitter than crease clearer and Tinordi just too young to have that much responsibility thrown on him.

At forward two big bodies that play tough and physical, one also able to score at least 20 goals and at least one that can fight. One big and tough, physical crease clearer on D. Those 3 players and I think we are equipped to go deeper in the play-offs next year. Yes, except if we land a Clarkson we need to go the trade route, the UFAs are pretty weak this year and no thanks to 33 year old D-man looking for 4 year deals. I don't see the 4th line guy costing much. We have Diaz we could offer for one of our other needs. Don't know what we could offer for the other guy we need if he doesn't come through free agency, but we have prospects.

Last edited by yianik: 05-20-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I like a lot of what you've written the last couple of pages, but don't fall off the edge into total exaggeration. The Habs were NOT demolished by our division. As E = CH² said, we were in a strong division. Even then, we dominated Boston, we righted the ship enough to whip the Leafs two out of the last three games, and we had a good record against Ottawa. Check out the inter-division records of the NE teams against each other:

Practically the same as Boston and Toronto and better than Ottawa. Our worst record was against the Atlantic division: 7-6-2. From that division, only Philly played us with any real physicality. Nobody demolished Montreal, which is why they finished 2nd in the EC.

And all your hyperbole about being rounded up and executed (though I dig the metaphor) really comes down to two playoff games where the Habs tried to act tough, but failed. In the end, we were executed by injuries and a couple of stupid undisciplined games. Wanna' pretend our entire season didn't happen? Your choice, but you ignore the fact that this team had an amazing season and is 90% there.

As to the remaining 10%, yeah, that's where we agree the Habs need more size - especially on D. But we need those bigger guys to wreck the other team's offensive setups and clear their forwards from around our net. We need a very functional type of size to get the puck out of our damn zone and crowd the other team's net; we don't need size for some vague notion of being 'tougher'.
Good post, I knew we weren't demolished by our division, so I didn't really take his post overly serious. We beat the big bad bruins more often than they beat us. When we fall into their trap, we lose, when we skate and use our speed/skill we win.

Many of these posters don't have a clue what they are arguing, but they're going to argue it anyway.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Good post, I knew we weren't demolished by our division, so I didn't really take his post overly serious. We beat the big bad bruins more often than they beat us. When we fall into their trap, we lose, when we skate and use our speed/skill we win.

Many of these posters don't have a clue what they are arguing, but they're going to argue it anyway.
I need to apply the saying "trust but verify" ...

Old
05-21-2013, 07:48 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

keep in mind in a 48 game season , anything is up for grabs and anyone can pull off a Columbus season

next year , new format , lets see what happens but clearly we need size and more team toughness

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:24 AM
otto bond

So who stays and who goes?
On my trading block:

Karberle-you never know but morelikely buy out

Diaz-Good player, but we need balance on D and should have decent value

DD-Looks like the odd man out this time around. Would it be easier if he wasn't Quebecois? I see a trade t with him to make a move or room for an other trade.

Max Pacioretty-Yes him.Why?Well, if you really want a stud in a trade, you usely need to give one up. The price has to be good no dought.

Bourque-Give us a good year but in a trade perhaps he could fetch something we need, again, the price here would have to make sense.

Markov-It's hard for me to put him there but if I'm MB, I would listen to all offers and see if they make sense.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
On my trading block:

DD-Looks like the odd man out this time around. Would it be easier if he wasn't Quebecois? I see a trade t with him to make a move or room for an other trade.

Max Pacioretty-Yes him.Why?Well, if you really want a stud in a trade, you usely need to give one up. The price has to be good no dought.

Bourque-Give us a good year but in a trade perhaps he could fetch something we need, again, the price here would have to make sense.

Markov-It's hard for me to put him there but if I'm MB, I would listen to all offers and see if they make sense.
The only one on your list with any real chance of getting traded is Kaberle, and even that is unlikely unless MB is ready to eat 1-1.5 mil in cap space next year.

Diaz being here is part of having balance, if you trade him and Markov misses time then all of a sudden your only experiened PP/PMD is Subban. Weber has 5x higher chance of getting moved. Diaz has a very low cap hit for his production, not going anywhere.

Desharnais is going nowhere until Galchenyuk progresses to the point where he can play center and not be a defensive liability, that will take at least another year.

I could see Markov being shopped but the offer required to move him probably won't come(top 4 calibre younger d-man).

Bourque, like Diaz his cap hit is an asset if he can stay healthy and put up 50+ points and go in the dirty areas.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:45 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
On my trading block:

Im good with moving DD for a big, physical crease clearer. I will admit Im sentimental on Markov but I also think with more limited ice time he can be more effective. For sure though I don't see Markov being asked to waive his NTC and being moved if Diaz goes as we then have only one PMD in Subban and Nathan B is likely a couple years out before he can do the job.
On Bourque, he is the kind of player in terms of size, toughness and physicality we need. Besides Gallagher Bourque was our most effective guy in the play-offs. So in my view we need to add a guy in the mold of Bourque, not get rid of him.

I don't see DD being traded by MB. If MB can get that Bourque like player he would probably be a big help to DD and Patches. MB will give DD a chance for sure and that's fine, I just hope he will pull the trigger if DD doesn't get it together.

Patches is a good player for us, he just needs to attack the net more. I found he did so more when Cole was doing it last year. Maybe Patches just needs that kind of guy on the other wing to motivate him to do it. Don't see him going anywhere and Im fine with that , unless like you say its an upgrade, for someone like Evander Kane.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
agreed add Cube and Armstrong to that list
What is happening is clear, and it will continue. As Habs get better, tolerance for ineffective players will get lower.

I expected this. It takes time though as most posters have never seen a really good Habs team.

The following players are not good enough to play on a cup contending team. Some of them may have been in the past, but not now. Next year, some will stay, some will go. More will go the year after.

Don't expect any of them to be on this team in 3 years.

DD
Moen
Ryder
Kaberle
Cube
Gorges
Drewiske
Halpern
Armstrong
Gio
Noks
Blunden
Weber
Leblanc

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
NewbieOfGames

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what you guyz think of the possibility to trade Subban.

for real, hes my favorite player out there, but tradding Subban might be Bergevin idea this summer.

-Fact is that Subban is going to cost alot next season, is MB willingto pay that much? IDK
-Subban is worth so much right now, MG could get mostly anyting he want with him.
-On MB post-season conference, he was quite quiet about Subban performances, saying he could take nothing for sure, safe.
-Not to talk about contract dispute where MB have been quite cheap on Subban salary.

NewbieOfGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOfGames View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what you guyz think of the possibility to trade Subban.

for real, hes my favorite player out there, but tradding Subban might be Bergevin idea this summer.

-Fact is that Subban is going to cost alot next season, is MB willingto pay that much? IDK
-Subban is worth so much right now, MG could get mostly anyting he want with him.
-On MB post-season conference, he was quite quiet about Subban performances, saying he could take nothing for sure, safe.
-Not to talk about contract dispute where MB have been quite cheap on Subban salary.

I agree and let's trade Gallagher and Galchenyuk after their entry level deal too. Their gonna be too expensive.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:

This! The habs are actually pretty successful when they play tough teams and don't get sucked into their game. I remember watching Patches DD Gallagher wreak havoc against the Chara Boychuk Pairing in one of the games against boston this season. Whenever the bruins tried to bait them into playing their game, they would ignore it and continue winning.

Chara goons it up, habs don't react, they win the game. When the habs have huge brawls against toronto boston or ottawa, they lose every game.

Now like a poster said above, the speed and skill can't work every night, but that is all the habs are really good at. If boston can't intimidate, they have the skill and speed to adapt (except against the habs who can outclass them in that category). Chicago has everything, which is why they will always have a response for a disappointing game (like I'm sure we'll see in the CHI DET series). San Jose had crazy size, but they traded two of their most intimidating players to gain some speed so they can have more balance, even while sacrificing depth for a playoff run.

The habs don't have to beat Boston or Toronto at their own game, but they need another strategy to beat them when the speed and skill isn't enough on it's own. They need to wear out their forwards with big solid D... They need another dimension to their team as they only have one.

The only way this can really be done is by aqcuiring QUALITY players that sacrifices something the habs have a surplus of (speed, defensive forwards, offensive defensemen), and then add something more. A clowe (sacrificing speed) will still bring some quality offensive minutes, hitting and fighting... a Jarred Boll, Reaves would bring the same kind of minutes an armstrong could bring but add fighting (maybe at the expense of PKing) but add the intimidation and character factor.

While I can see the merit in getting a 4-5minute goon, I personally don't find the fighting factor worth the sacrifice of quality minutes (5 on 5 and PK) and skill. So if Bergy is going to add some dimensions to this team... it's not going to be answered by adding anyone big who can fight, but players who bring more than they take away

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:36 AM
NewbieOfGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
I agree and let's trade Gallagher and Galchenyuk after their entry level deal too. Their gonna be too expensive.
Calm down, i was just asking ! i would not do it myself, but who knows, this team dosent look to appreciate what Subban can do, they prefer giving Molson cup to our elite goalie Price that archieved .905 save%, and giving the big contracts to DD, Pacio, Georges, Kaberlee etc.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Calm down, i was just asking ! i would not do it myself, but who knows, this team dosent look to appreciate what Subban can do, they prefer giving Molson cup to our elite goalie Price that archieved .905 save%, and giving the big contracts to DD, Pacio, Georges, Kaberlee etc.
Patches at 4.5 is a steal... and he has earned every penny of it. I guess you should suggest a player that you think subban can get. What do you think the habs need more than a subban type?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
NewbieOfGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Patches at 4.5 is a steal... and he has earned every penny of it. I guess you should suggest a player that you think subban can get. What do you think the habs need more than a subban type?
Pacio, a steal, i wouldn't go that far. Right now hes a question mark, with 4.5M u better fight hard in the corners and use ur 6'2''. But patches right now is only a sniper, and a sniper that should find the back of the net once on about every 50 shots on goalie.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
I'm calm

We have to keep Subban he's our best player.

The contract of Desharnais and Gorges arent the best for sure but the Pacioretty deal is very good and we got Kaberle by a trade (thanks to Gauthier)

We have to build with our young guys like Subban, Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Tinordi and Gallagher.

I wouldnt trade all of them.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Pacio, a steal, i wouldn't go that far. Right now hes a question mark, with 4.5M u better fight hard in the corners and use ur 6'2''. But patches right now is only a sniper, and a sniper that should find the back of the net once on about every 50 shots on goalie.
Pacioretty is far from a problem on this team. He's a big body that can snipe. Was on pace for 28 goals and 73 points in his "off" year. He's a steal at 4.5 for the next 6 years no question about it.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Urlacher

My moves

I think that the problem in the playoff is that our 2nd D pairing (Gorges and Diaz) was way too soft... I think that with the emergence of Eller and Galchenyuk, Plekanec becomes expandable to get an elite D.

So I do not know what we could get for him but one guy I would target is Dan Girardi (6'2 215 Right handed). So our top 4 D would look like this ( I like to pair a RH with a LH).

Subban - Emelin (Bouillon / Tinordi to start the season)
Markov - Girardi

I'd also make room for Beaulieu ... And that leave one spot for Gorges / Diaz / Bouillon / Tinordi / Weber ...

So I think would trade Gorges to get size up front. And I would also trade Diaz for a big stay at home veteran RH D ...

And my line up would look like this :

Bourque Galchenyuk Gallagher
Paciorrety Desharnais (Big F from the Gorges trade)
Prust Eller Gionta
Anybody White Anybody

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Girardi (Plekanec Trade)
Beaulieu - (Big RH Vet From Diaz Trade)
Bouillon

Urlacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:12 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What is happening is clear, and it will continue. As Habs get better, tolerance for ineffective players will get lower.

I expected this. It takes time though as most posters have never seen a really good Habs team.

The following players are not good enough to play on a cup contending team. Some of them may have been in the past, but not now. Next year, some will stay, some will go. More will go the year after.

Don't expect any of them to be on this team in 3 years.

DD
Moen
Ryder
Kaberle
Cube
Gorges
Drewiske
Halpern
Armstrong
Gio
Noks
Blunden
Weber
Leblanc
the obvious ones, wether they were good or not is irrelevant, it's clear they're not wanted back on the team

Ryder is a UFA and I doubt MB is interested in bringing him back.

Cube and Halpern will not be here in 3 years either, nothing to do with talent, all about AGE.

Moen well... do we get this season Moen or previous seasons Moen, it all depends on that IMO, he could be very useful if he comes back with a different mindset, has been a great pickup for us up till last season where he was meh.

Blunden I dont mind, will spend most of his time in the AHL, will be called up when there's just too many injuries upfront, all you ask for guys like him is to work hard and try to follow the pace as they arent usally really good.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote