HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 08:39 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Zach Fucale has bust written all over him but he'll likely be available in the 2nd round
Yeah I wouldnt take him in the first, but some see otherwise. If you can stomach him, this is what Button said about Fucale, pretty bold:

Quote:
I would list Zach Fucale as underrated. I think he is a superb goaltending prospect and has been every bit as significant in the Halifax Mooseheads' success as any other player. In my 25 years watching prospects, I have never seen a goaltender at the age of 16 and 17 dominate in the manner that Zach has. The only other player I saw dominate at his position at 16 and 17 like Zach was Sidney Crosby. I think he will be an elite goaltender in the NHL.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Yeah I wouldnt take him in the first, but some see otherwise. If you can stomach him, this is what Button said about Fucale, pretty bold:
Button also said that if Jason Dickinson isn't taken in the first round that the NHL needs to do an investigation because he is a surefire first rounder.

I actually have a lot of respect for button but he says some "bold" things from time to time.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:03 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I've only had limited viewings of Nurse so i'll defer to those of you who have more firsthand knowledge. He seems like a guy who has a lot of potential but is a bit of a project at this point. He really only started to burst onto the scene this season.

I'm not sure what Ference has to do with who the Oilers draft pick, it's not like they are dealing the pick for Ference.
I'm saying that if they have a chance to get Yandle, Del Zotto or somebody of that ilk with #7 being the centerpiece then i think that the Oilers should do it. Nurse, Zadarov etc. can only hope to be near as good as those guys one day.

If Monahan is available, then that's another story. It's really difficult to acquire legit top 6 centers through trade or free agency so the draft is the best chance to get one and Monahan fits the bill plus he's a really safe bet to be at least a strong #3C in the league.
If Monahan is available I'm on board but I'm not expecting him to be there. I actually think its kind of moot to bring him up.

I don't really consider Nurse a project either. Someone like Samuel Morin is a project. Nurse just needs time to fill out his frame. I think he has very underrated offensive instincts and sees the ice really well. His decision making with the puck is a lot better this year.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:34 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

I can see Horvat jumping up. I can def see Oilers taking him at 7, just like the Jets took Scheifle high.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I don't like Horvat at 7.
Admittedly I've only watched him play a whopping 2 games, but...

Old
05-20-2013, 09:43 PM
dnicks17

Domi with the stick between his legs saucer pass and Horvat bats it in from mid-air.

Dirty goal.

Old
05-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Zadorov just got exposed reaaaaallllllllll bad

Old
05-20-2013, 10:38 PM
40oz

Speaking of which, I would be more than alright with taking Bjorkstrand with one of the Oilers 2nds.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:34 AM
BarDownBobo

What do you guys think of Jacob de la Rose as a second rounder? Big, two way C who has speed and plays a physical game. Knock on him is he might be lacking somewhat offensively, but he still projects to be a good 2/3C IMO.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:30 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
What do you guys think of Jacob de la Rose as a second rounder? Big, two way C who has speed and plays a physical game. Knock on him is he might be lacking somewhat offensively, but he still projects to be a good 2/3C IMO.
I wouldn't mind him with the Oilers second but would obviously prefer to draft him with Anaheims pick. I still think someone drops out of the first and available with our second.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:41 AM
SterlingArcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I wouldn't mind him with the Oilers second but would obviously prefer to draft him with Anaheims pick. I still think someone drops out of the first and available with our second.
He seems like a physical centre version of Magnus

Old
05-21-2013, 02:19 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
He seems like a physical centre version of Magnus
That's what I saw watching highlights of him, and honestly if that's how he turns out along with being good on faceoffs he'd be a really good pick. Would bring a lot of what is lacking in the system.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:47 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

MacT and MacGregor were at tonights game in Saskatoon. Probably watching Zadorov, Horvat, and Domi.

I also saw Bob Hartley and a few Leafs scouts there.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

I have to believe, right now, that MacKinnon has basically locked up being the #2 overall pick with his play. The kid seems like the real deal, not that we should be surprised.

As it relates to the Memorial Cup, how little sense has it made so far?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Oilers4life1987

If its true Avs dont think Jones is #1 who do they take and does it change who the other teams take?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:39 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Button also said that if Jason Dickinson isn't taken in the first round that the NHL needs to do an investigation because he is a surefire first rounder.

I actually have a lot of respect for button but he says some "bold" things from time to time.
off topic kind of but i have found myself agreeing with button lately. me and my buds were argueing about who is the best canadian goalie right now as the olympics are coming up and there isnt an elite 2 like years past. I said that braden holtby has been the most consistent over the last half of the year and if he continues could probably be one of the goalies if not the starter. they laughed at me and not even a day later button said the same thing on TV. at least is wasnt milbury

Old
05-21-2013, 10:45 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
If its true Avs dont think Jones is #1 who do they take and does it change who the other teams take?
Where did u hear that?

Old
05-21-2013, 10:47 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
And if its true then it goes;

Mack
Drouin
Jones
Barkov

...most likely. Maybe Fla takes Jones over Drouin...

Old
05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Oilers4life1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Where did u hear that?
Twitter

Old
05-21-2013, 11:00 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
off topic kind of but i have found myself agreeing with button lately. me and my buds were argueing about who is the best canadian goalie right now as the olympics are coming up and there isnt an elite 2 like years past. I said that braden holtby has been the most consistent over the last half of the year and if he continues could probably be one of the goalies if not the starter. they laughed at me and not even a day later button said the same thing on TV. at least is wasnt milbury
The reason why it didn't sit well with me is that his co-host on the draft centre podcast said that Jason was a "likely first rounder" and Button went off on him. He said that it wasn't just an understatement but it was on of the biggest understatement a ever. Button is allowed to have his own opinion but shouldn't be criticizing people for having their own.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Twitter
I think someone was saying "don't automatically assume Colorado is taking Jones #1" and that's all. No indication from the team that they aren't picking him and I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

I agree MacKinnon's Memorial Cup will probably push him over Drouin.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I think someone was saying "don't automatically assume Colorado is taking Jones #1" and that's all. No indication from the team that they aren't picking him and I'm not sure why they wouldn't.

I agree MacKinnon's Memorial Cup will probably push him over Drouin.
Yeah I think it is a slam dunk Avs take Jones. Fills biggest need. Was #1 prior to tournament and one tournament isn't going to change scouts minds.

Was Avs fan growing up. Popeye son which will sell tickets (and merchandise). Sakic told Popeye to get Seth skating lessons. Just to much here to be anyone else.

Seth makes the most sense from a hockey, business and personal standpoint.

Also, a few months back our board was not the biggest fan of Mack. I remember having some friendly banter with a few posters about him. It's funny how a lot of people seem to have flipped.

Have a bad WJC and everybody is against you. Have a good Mem Cup and everybody thinks you are the greatest thing since sliced bread. HF mentality at its finest (and truest)

Old
05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Hemsky4PM

Forwards are so bankable at no.1 it's actually amazing that teams even consider taking defensemen.

You are just as likely to get Chris Pronger as Cam Barker with a top 3 pick. It's pretty rare to land Niedermayer or Pronger - and both of them also took about 5 years to turn into true no.1 defensemen.

If Nathan MacKinnon is a player along the lines of Joe Sakic or Jonathan Toews, he should go no.1. It's safer and smarter. Way better risk management than taking Jones. I for one won't be shocked if the Avs take him and move Stastny and/or O'Reilly over the course of the next two seasons (targetting top 4 D in return).

I think the draft order is going:

Colorado - MacKinnon
Florida - Jones
Tampa Bay - Druoin
Nashville - Barkov
Carolina - Lindholm
Calgary - Monahan

Too bad for the Oilers, who will be left to decide on Nurse, Horvat, trading the pick.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:34 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Colorado has Duchene, Ryan O'Rielly, and Paul Stastny as their centers. No way, no how they are taking MacKinnon. Suggesting that they will is silly talk.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:38 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Forwards are so bankable at no.1 it's actually amazing that teams even consider taking defensemen.

You are just as likely to get Chris Pronger as Cam Barker with a top 3 pick. It's pretty rare to land Niedermayer or Pronger - and both of them also took about 5 years to turn into true no.1 defensemen.

If Nathan MacKinnon is a player along the lines of Joe Sakic or Jonathan Toews, he should go no.1. It's safer and smarter. Way better risk management than taking Jones. I for one won't be shocked if the Avs take him and move Stastny and/or O'Reilly over the course of the next two seasons (targetting top 4 D in return).

I think the draft order is going:

Colorado - MacKinnon
Florida - Jones
Tampa Bay - Druoin
Nashville - Barkov
Carolina - Lindholm
Calgary - Monahan

Too bad for the Oilers, who will be left to decide on Nurse, Horvat, trading the pick.
I got this from Avs board:

Since 2006 - Franchise players picked in the top 10:
2006- Toews #3
2007- Kane #1
2008- Stamkos #1, Doughty #2, Pietrangelo #4
2009- Tavares #1, Duchene #3, OEL #6 (Hedman still has a chance to develop into one, he showed signs last year that he is close to really becoming a great player)
2010 (probably too early to call this)- Hall #1

So by count that is 3 centers, 2 left wings, and 3 defensemen.

In those drafts the only two real defensive busts are Ellerby and Hickey (who are both bottom pairing). The rest of the defensemen taken in that part of the draft ended up as top 2/4 defensemen (most are top pairing). While you have a lot of forwards who are 3rd/4th liners or out of the NHL (Sheppard, Frolik, Hamill, Bailey, Boedker, Filatov, Glennie). Drafting is an imperfect science regardless of position. People can claim all they want that Jones is the next EJ, doesn't make it true. Just like people can say MacKinnon is the next Brassard.

And also this:

Going by history instead of the talent you see is a very good way to pass up on elite players. Just because Hickey (who was an off the board pick anyway) failed doesn't mean that Jones will too. Just like because Stamkos is an elite NHL player, it doesn't mean that MacKinnon will be as well. Go with who projects to be the best player regardless of position.

But since we are all about history here, let's go off players that you can evaluate careers on and not their first couple years... Defensemen that were picked first at their position in the 90s:
1990 - Darryl Sydor - I remember his time as a Star and how good he was there
1991 - Scott Niedermeyer - Hall of Famer one of the best of his generation
1992 - Roman Hamrlik - First pairing defender for a long time
1993 - Chris Pronger - Hall of Famer, the standard of defensemen
1994 - Jovocop - Was first pairing for a while, but lacked enough hockey sense to be a long-term #1/2
1995 - Bryan Berard - If only he hadn't gotten injured he might have been 3rd best on this list
1996 - Chris Philips - Had maybe a couple years where he was a top pairing shutdown guy, but overall just a solid top 4
1997 - Eric Brewer - frustrating player, just a top 4 defensemen for most of his career
1998 - Brad Stuart - never panned out at a top pairing guy for a long period of time, but has been a great #3 for most of his career
1999 - Bradislav Mezei (what a terrible draft 1999 was) - honestly, no idea who this was

6 of those turned out to be first pairing defenders for at least a portion of their career (Sydor, Niedermeyer, Hamrlik, Pronger, Jovocop, and Berard). All except Mezei had long NHL careers as at least top 4 defensemen. A 60% chance at a top pairing defender is actually pretty good. 20% were Hall of Famers.

Forwards were 5/10 for being first line players Stefan, Dumont, Kilger, Bonk (might be wrong here as he was pretty good in the early 2000's with Ottawa), and Daigle were the 'busts' and Lindros, Nolan, Yashin, Thornton, and Lecavalier were the 1st liners. 50% is still pretty damn good.

Closed Thread