HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Most Common Beer League Goalie Mistakes

Old
05-19-2013, 03:16 PM
CunniJA

vCash: 500
Most Common Beer League Goalie Mistakes

Last Friday night I was able to score my first really cheesy goal in rec league as my others have usually been kinda legit. I banked the puck off the goalie's skate and into the net from behind the net (unintentionally though, as really I was trying to just center the puck.)

That goal made me start wondering how often I could start scoring goals like that on purpose. From going to a drop-in with D2 college players and people with similar abilities to theirs, I saw them score lots of similar goals from behind the goal line when inferior D-men would get too close to the net or a goalie didn't hug the post properly.

So, my question is, do others see a lot of low/ish level rec league goalies making the same mistake of not hugging their posts nice and tight? I'm thinking I could maybe make this a common goal with some practice. And, beyond that, what other common mistakes do you guys see beer league tenders making that we can take advantage of? Goalies feel free to speak too... :p

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Ozz

I'm known on my team to be an ace at that move either off the skate, or even the paddle or a defender if they do hug the post. We play in 2 leagues, one the highest available and the other with a few lesser players that's a couple tiers down, and I must've done that 4x between each league in the past 10 or so games total. If you can get the room and have the ability to place the puck where you want, it's surprisingly easy to pull off.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Rumcajs

The fake shot to the backhand. Works 100% of the time 60 percent of the time.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Devil Dancer

The goalies in the leagues I play in sometimes get caught playing the puck when they shouldn't or vice versa. That seems like a pretty common phenomenon.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:34 PM
TheeNorthStar

I score many short side goals because about half the goalies dont hug the post like they should.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
danisonfire
2313 Saint Catherine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeNorthStar View Post
I score many short side goals because about half the goalies dont hug the post like they should.
This for me. Short side is much easier to pull off. Most goalies growing up are taught to never get beat short side (not acceptable too be beat there). This makes shooters aim far side at a higher rate. In beer league many of the goalies seem to be cheating away from the short side in hopes of them shooting far side.

Another good one is five-hole, same logic; goalies often do not have their stick where they were taught to keep it for years. Basically think of all the things goalies have been taught, many cheat at them when it comes to a beer league.

danisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:46 AM
Vuronov

I just started playing goalie about a month ago and I can tell you that I have a big problem covering my 5-hole. I've noticed that when moving laterally I will forget to keep my paddle properly positioned on the ice protecting the 5-hole. I am good about hugging the posts once play gets to a corner. But I've also noticed that when I go down to stop a shot, if there is a rebound and play continues more to the side I don't remember to completely cover to the post and will leave a little space between my skate and post.

For rec league, I find that if you can get the goalie moving, your chances of scoring go up dramatically. At least that's how you get me (though as a beginner there are plenty of other ways too lol).

As a forward, I've managed to score a handful of times of a goalies shoulder when I was perpendicular to the net and he wasn't hugging the post and properly. Just shot high and banked it off the shoulder right into the net lol.

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not getting the stick flat on the ice to protect the five hole when they are moving. It is absolutely something that most goalies seem to struggle with. When I first started, I played with a bunch of former varsity, college, and junior guys. They scored nearly every breakaway goal deking left to right and sliding it five hole.

I've seen a lot of other goalies struggle with hugging the post. Especially newer goalies.

Otherwise, you can often tell in warmups or early on if a goalie is going to play too deep in net (giving a ton of room to shoot around) or come way out to challenge you (harder to shoot and score on but if you can deke odds go exponentially up).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Oh_so_saad

anytime there is traffic in from of the net it never hurts to ping one off the defense skates or the goalie.

I have even scored from behind the net personally shotting at the goalies back arm or calves

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Fanned On It

Most beer-league goalies can't even drop into butterfly properly so it's almost always a better bet to shoot low. Aim for the low corners or 5-hole while the goalie is standing up and you'll probably score more. I've found that beer-league goalies tend to WANT you to shoot high (particularly glove side) because that's their only strength, really.

Now, if you play in the higher-leagues and are playing against ex-college/junior goalies, then you might want to pass the puck more and try to get him moving side-to-side.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 06:48 PM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
5 hole will be open all day, almost every day. at least 65% of my goals have been scored from shooting 5 hole or deking close range and sliding it 5 hole at the last second. like the guy above me said, most will expect a glove shot for some reason. shooting low and hard will yield the best results... even if it doesnt go in, youll most likely get a juicy rebound

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Goalie last night literally gloved one of my shots five hole. Dropped and caught the puck above the stick and below the pants. Never seen that one before.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:33 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
from my experience in beer league going on 16 years no i have found 3 spots pure money for goals.

- fake shot then deke backhand (breakaway) this makes the goale freeze for the shot, most will still read that you havent shot within a second but they always overcompesate to make the pad save 5 hole turns into 900 hole.

- wrist shot along the ice bottom corners. our goalie told us one time that when he sees someone pulling back a wrist shot he assumes top cheese. how many guys really take wrist shots along the ice.

- shortside this works wonders on 2 on ones because that goalie is playing the pass wether he admits it or not. he cheats you look pass then fire shortside.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Little traffic in front of the net, bumping the goalie. Most beer leaguers will be too concerned trying to get #69 back or complaining to the ref vs watching the point shot.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeNorthStar View Post
This -- I score quite often from a pretty tough angle going short side because goalies in beer leagues never seem to fully hug the post.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:24 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
from my experience in beer league going on 16 years no i have found 3 spots pure money for goals.

- fake shot then deke backhand (breakaway) this makes the goale freeze for the shot, most will still read that you havent shot within a second but they always overcompesate to make the pad save 5 hole turns into 900 hole.

- wrist shot along the ice bottom corners. our goalie told us one time that when he sees someone pulling back a wrist shot he assumes top cheese. how many guys really take wrist shots along the ice.

- shortside this works wonders on 2 on ones because that goalie is playing the pass wether he admits it or not. he cheats you look pass then fire shortside.
So on fake shot, go 5-hole along the ice presumably? Is that higher % than trying to elevate the backhand over pads?

I've only tried it once and it worked great, goalie bit so hard he didn't even slide and I had wide open net to slide it in. Decent goalie too, but I think that was unusual that he didn't slide across, I just think he wasn't expecting the fake shot

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
ganave

My own observations as a goalie for a full year now -

1) A quick release with oomph on it on the ice is going to be hard for a new goalie to stop. It takes a lot of practice to get down into a butterfly quickly.

2) If you're skating in on a breakaway a lot of the time goalies will retreat right up to the goal line too quickly which opens up a ton of options. I prefer to try and hold my ground as long as possible and poke check to break it up. I've learned the hard way that "retreating" opens up way to many options for the shooter.

3) Catching a goalie off the angle. If the goalie is square to the shooter and not the puck, you're probably going to score if you fire it in the general direction of the net.

4) Deke-ing the goalie into a butterfly then flipping it over the pads.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Chip Chipperson

vCash: 50
Not moving the hell out of the way as I charge to the net, thinking I have the ability to stop.

Ultimate Plug checking in.

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Not moving the hell out of the way as I charge to the net, thinking I have the ability to stop.

Ultimate Plug checking in.
God I hate that.

Charge to one side or the other if you can't stop. I'm dealing a lingering shoulder injury because of an idiot who can't stop. Even if you get the puck in you can make sure that I'm going to knock the goal off its posts to get a whistle.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
I just started playing beer league hockey goalie this year. I played some pretty good hockey the year before that and found the hardest thing to adapt to is the low hard shots. In higher caliber hockey lots of shooters are looking to go cheddar when they wind up but in beer league the shots are lower and I had a difficult time adapting to that at first.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I just started playing beer league hockey goalie this year. I played some pretty good hockey the year before that and found the hardest thing to adapt to is the low hard shots. In higher caliber hockey lots of shooters are looking to go cheddar when they wind up but in beer league the shots are lower and I had a difficult time adapting to that at first.
I find that to be true, and exploit the hell out of it. Most goalies seem to cheat and expect higher shots, so I usually keep low especially on long or screened shots. Many of my teammates are young dudes concerned with being flashy all the time, I'm constantly telling a few of them to actually watch the goalies' play and to shoot low on some of them. Naturally, when applied, it always works. Some goalies just suck on low shots, but others cheat in favor of the upper portion of the net. Either way, I like my "fooler" goals

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Thepandamancan

My most common mistake as a "beer league" goalie is thinking I have a defense...

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
My most common mistake as a "beer league" goalie is thinking I have a defense...
Quoted for truth!!!

Dmen, feel free to let shots from the point through rather than trying to block them. More often than naught it results in a deflected own goal. We let in enough goals off of opponent's sticks, no need to help the other team out.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 05-21-2013 at 07:12 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepandamancan View Post
Definitely. Might as well have ever just play forward because I've noticed defense is non existent. To be fair I've had one or two good defenders in my time as a goalie playing pick-up/beer league hockey. I think goals are split in half for me. Half go in with the other team being the last team to touch it. Other half that go in are after my team is the last to touch the puck.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:53 PM
CunniJA

Fortunately, our team does not share that particular problem. Around here, most of the teams throw all their talented, skilled kids up at forward and put the 250 pound slow guys on D. On our team, we have most of our best players on D, as it should be.

One of my teammates sort of scored that plug goal in that game. Just ate it coming in, rebounded off the goalie, onto my teammate's shin pad, and into the net. Pretty funny.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote