HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
  #176
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,843
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Would you guys think it will be possible and a good choice to draft with our first pick Mantha, with the 32th pick Gauthier and with the 36th Morin?

I know they all being rated a big higher, but with the dept of the draft, I think it could be a possibility to draft at least one or two of them.

Those are really big guys and french speaking players with good potential.
I think we could MAYBE get two of them, no way all 3 though.

I could see Mantha falling into round 2.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:46 AM
  #177
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If Ottawa and Detroit win their series, the Habs will choose 23rd overall. At 23rd Bergevin has a good chip at the table with say Montreal's 2nd and Dallas's 3rd to move up to 18th overall.

Then move Calgary's 2nd and the 18th for the 13th.The Habs can either do it that way or take all of those picks and a roster player and trade them to Carolina, Calgary or Edmonton for the 5th, 6th or 7th overall. This would leave them with really good choices in the 1st (5th) and 2nd (34th), with their 3rd, 6th and 7th round choices.

At 5th the Habs can draft a franchise type of player to join Galchenyuk. Nicushkin LW/RW is the epitome of a PF and his KHL contract is over in two yrs. Max Domi is the player I call the Whirling Dervish stickhandling genius and the player that I would love to have play with Galchenyuk and Collberg. Just a nightmare for goalies throughout the NHL.

The two Swedes Lindholm and Wennberg both great Centers and either one could play on a line with Galchenyuk and Collberg, to form a great line. There is always a Euro-line featuring Wennberg LW (He plays all forward positions) Eller (Center) and Collberg RW, that would be a great line also IMHO. Last option is Nicushkin LW - Galchenyuk C - Collberg RW truly an unstoppable line also.

If the Habs go with Darnell Nurse and follow that with Samuel Morin at 34th, they will have their defence for the future. Imagine that defence; Beaulieu, Bennett, Deitz, Diaz, Didier, Emelin, Gorges, Morin, Nurse, Subban, Thrower and last but not least Tinordi.

This defence will give the Bergevin the players needed to trade for the final pieces they would need to ice a "Elite Team" future Stanley Cup contender for years to come. Now at 5th the Habs could get lucky and Drouin could fall to them, getting the most prolific offensive player in the draft. Drouin's quite simply a franchise player without any doubt and given the core players they already have, the offence becomes as good or better than any in the NHL.

These trades could make the 2013 draft, the 2nd Entry Draft in two years the Habs draft a Franchise type of player. Now if only all the teams cooperate with Bergevin and trade him their draft choices, so getting the Habs in the position they so honestly deserve IMHO.
Impossible...forget it. Have you seen many trades where a team moves up before the draft? You don't have to answer, it's a no...

Moving from 23rd to 18th is quite possible, but the trade would only happen after the 17th selection. If a team accept to trade down, it's because they think they'll get their player later. But those teams still want to see if they can get their hands on a falling player who was supposed to be drafted earlier.

Think about Forsberg last year. Washington never thought he would be available at their position. That's why they took time to annouce their selection (they probably had to talk about that new possibility), and why there was no name on his jersey. Imagine if they would have traded that pick before the draft...

It's just not a possibility...

Freaky Habs Fan is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
  #178
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
Would you guys think it will be possible and a good choice to draft with our first pick Mantha, with the 32th pick Gauthier and with the 36th Morin?

I know they all being rated a big higher, but with the dept of the draft, I think it could be a possibility to draft at least one or two of them.

Those are really big guys and french speaking players with good potential.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mantha was there at our pick(#25?), Morin and Gauthier I could see go in the top 20. I can't see Morin or Gauthier lasting until #34 or #36.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:48 AM
  #179
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I think we could MAYBE get two of them, no way all 3 though.

I could see Mantha falling into round 2.
Yeah, about Mantha, it wouldn't be surprising. In the last few years, there's always a team that likes a defensive and or complete player late in the first round...see Danault, or Paradis...so Gauthier should go in the first round, but Mantha, being so unidimensional and older, we'll see...

Freaky Habs Fan is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:26 PM
  #180
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Impossible...forget it. Have you seen many trades where a team moves up before the draft? You don't have to answer, it's a no...

Moving from 23rd to 18th is quite possible, but the trade would only happen after the 17th selection. If a team accept to trade down, it's because they think they'll get their player later. But those teams still want to see if they can get their hands on a falling player who was supposed to be drafted earlier.

Think about Forsberg last year. Washington never thought he would be available at their position. That's why they took time to annouce their selection (they probably had to talk about that new possibility), and why there was no name on his jersey. Imagine if they would have traded that pick before the draft...

It's just not a possibility...
And McPhee messssssssses things up by trading Forsberg at the deadline (last trade confirmed) just to see Erat always on the injury list.

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
  #181
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I think we could MAYBE get two of them, no way all 3 though.

I could see Mantha falling into round 2.
Regardless of his faults, Mantha is 6'4" and scored 50 goals this year. I would be shocked if he fell that far.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
  #182
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Regardless of his faults, Mantha is 6'4" and scored 50 goals last year. I would be shocked if he fell that far.
I can easily see the Habs passing on him, but somebody will take a shot at him.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  #183
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I can easily see the Habs passing on him, but somebody will take a shot at him.
Yeah I think that's pretty fair to say. If he's even still on the board at our pick.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
  #184
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
At our spot, I want Josh Morrissey.

Jabba11 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:11 PM
  #185
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
At our spot, I want Josh Morrissey.
My choice, too. Seems like he's falling or others are rising.

--------------------------

Are we doing a poll on who we want to be drafted, say a poll with 5 players and we get to vote on it?

Frozenice is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:24 PM
  #186
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,719
vCash: 500
Looking at where the Habs may draft in the first round and at the CS, ISS, Mac's & Button's reports there's a possibility Curtis Lazar will be there. What do you guys think of him?

onice is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
  #187
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
It seems every year the kids who play on good teams that go deep in the playoffs and get a lot of exposure are rated higher and climb at the end. And this seems logical. The kids play well, are on a winner, etc. I'm talking about the likes of Domi, Horvat, Petan, etc.

But part of me wonders if it's better to look at kids who were on teams where they didn't get the good coaching and didn't get used properly and didn't get great linemates and might be under the radar gems.

An example I know well is Justin Bailey. I believe if he were on London, he'd be getting top-15 consideration by now. Granted, his development curve will be longer due to what he missed in junior, but I'd definitely use a 2nd rounder on a kid like that. And I'm sure there are more like him out there. Victims of their circumstances.

Scouts need to not be swayed by the bright lights.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
  #188
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
It seems every year the kids who play on good teams that go deep in the playoffs and get a lot of exposure are rated higher and climb at the end. And this seems logical. The kids play well, are on a winner, etc. I'm talking about the likes of Domi, Horvat, Petan, etc.

But part of me wonders if it's better to look at kids who were on teams where they didn't get the good coaching and didn't get used properly and didn't get great linemates and might be under the radar gems.

An example I know well is Justin Bailey. I believe if he were on London, he'd be getting top-15 consideration by now. Granted, his development curve will be longer due to what he missed in junior, but I'd definitely use a 2nd rounder on a kid like that. And I'm sure there are more like him out there. Victims of their circumstances.

Scouts need to not be swayed by the bright lights.
The extra exposure works both ways, not all guys still playing are rising. Zadorov's stock has taken a hit the last 5-6 weeks, reports were he had a less than stellar OHL playoff and the 2 games at the Memorial Cup have been ok but nothing special.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:36 PM
  #189
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Looking at where the Habs may draft in the first round and at the CS, ISS, Mac's & Button's reports there's a possibility Curtis Lazar will be there. What do you guys think of him?
It might be possible but highly unlikely, I would guess 12 - 15 range.

Frozenice is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:40 PM
  #190
Tim Wallach
Registered User
 
Tim Wallach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The extra exposure works both ways, not all guys still playing are rising. Zadorov's stock has taken a hit the last 5-6 weeks, reports were he had a less than stellar OHL playoff and the 2 games at the Memorial Cup have been ok but nothing special.
For sure, but either way the focus is so much on those guys. There are hidden gems all over the place.

On the Zadorov note by the way, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he's there when we pick. Hunter reined him in a bit, but he has a real nasty streak when he wants to. Plus, he can skate and move the puck and shoot as well. He hasn't been great lately, but Jones hasn't looked stellar either this week.

I have a hard time seeing Zadorov not making the NHL.

Tim Wallach is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
  #191
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
For sure, but either way the focus is so much on those guys. There are hidden gems all over the place.

On the Zadorov note by the way, I'd take him in a heartbeat if he's there when we pick. Hunter reined him in a bit, but he has a real nasty streak when he wants to. Plus, he can skate and move the puck and shoot as well. He hasn't been great lately, but Jones hasn't looked stellar either this week.

I have a hard time seeing Zadorov not making the NHL.
For Zadorov, if he isn't going to be a mean/stay at home d-man, he won't be a skilled/PMD at the NHL level, he has decent skill but won't be on anybody's top PP. that's why scouts/GM's want to see him play mean and use his size down low and he hasn't done that. It's one thing to have size but another to use it.

Another problem, as with all Russians, is if a guy isn't an Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Malkin and can jump right in to the NHL, there can be problems developping that player. If he isn't "NHL ready" at 18, 19, 20 or 21, what happens? Does that player stay in the OHL at 18 & 19...then will he report to AHl at 20 and 21 or want to make bigger $$$ in the KHL. It may turn into a non issue but it could also complicate things.

Say for example at 20 Zadorov is ready to crack the NHl and signs a standard rookie deal at around 1 mil(plus bonus clauses) but Kazan Ak Bars(or insert Russian team) offers him 3-4 mil per year to play there, you can be in a bind.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:18 PM
  #192
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
This is a guy that could be a fit in the 3rd round to add some size on defense...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=103763

6'5" 225lbs, decent puck skills, not a huge bruiser but not soft either and will drop the gloves.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
  #193
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,058
vCash: 500
I personally believe that the Habs, who need size, want to love Anthony Mantha. Before that happens, however, the draft combine will be important. If Mantha comes out of the room with a good interview, the Habs organization will look into him. Potential power forward with hands and a sweet wrister? Hell ya.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:20 PM
  #194
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
So who does everyone think/want the HABS to draft with thier 1st round pick? List 3 players that have a chance to be there at 23-25 that you want the Habs to draft.

1 Kerby Rychel LW

2 Anthony Mantha LW

3 Ryan Hartman C/RW

I am finding it hard to see any other players at this point in the draft that would fit the habs needs more then these 3 guys.They are big/can score and play with grit.

habsroom is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
  #195
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I personally believe that the Habs, who need size, want to love Anthony Mantha. Before that happens, however, the draft combine will be important. If Mantha comes out of the room with a good interview, the Habs organization will look into him. Potential power forward with hands and a sweet wrister? Hell ya.
I think the Habs want size, but they don't want to sacrifice character to get it. The kock on Mantha by many is his compete level, has a body like Tarzan and plays like Jane.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:26 PM
  #196
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
So who does everyone think/want the HABS to draft with thier 1st round pick? List 3 players that have a chance to be there at 23-25 that you want the Habs to draft.

1 Kerby Rychel LW

2 Anthony Mantha LW

3 Ryan Hartman C/RW

I am finding it hard to see any other players at this point in the draft that would fit the habs needs more then these 3 guys.They are big/can score and play with grit.
Mantha doesn't play with grit, in fact grit is his biggest "knock".

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:30 PM
  #197
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I think the Habs want size, but they don't want to sacrifice character to get it. The kock on Mantha by many is his compete level, has a body like Tarzan and plays like Jane.
I heard these knocks and they are likely justified. That's why the interview will be crucial. If he can come out of it convincing Bergervin and co., then I could see Montreal try to add him. I think he has admitted in the past that his game to game intensity needs work, and if Montreal is convinced that he can become a professional, then they'll pick him. Offers too many positives to ignore.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:35 PM
  #198
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I heard these knocks and they are likely justified. That's why the interview will be crucial. If he can come out of it convincing Bergervin and co., then I could see Montreal try to add him. I think he has admitted in the past that his game to game intensity needs work, and if Montreal is convinced that he can become a professional, then they'll pick him. Offers too many positives to ignore.
Grit is something you show on the ice not in interviews.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:40 PM
  #199
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Mantha doesn't play with grit, in fact grit is his biggest "knock".
I know he isn't the most gritty guy but he is big and can score and did get into 5 fights last year so he does have some grit.

habsroom is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:42 PM
  #200
habsroom
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
So if not these 3 guys then what 3 players and why i want to hear from the posters here so post away.

habsroom is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.