HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2013, 12:24 PM
  #276
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
i said even points. last year.
Our team needs the best even scoring and PK in the bottom six.
Cause we know who is going to get the PP time.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

My 5 year old can click the EVP column and see the 4 players with 38 even points.

What! Is the league stats page lying?

This just gets better.

Brown is equal to HALL, Gagner, RNH, Eberle.
And the league is lying.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

and Taylor Hall was not the third best EVP LW cause the league lies.

[http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

and Eberle was not 9th best RW and yakupov the 24 th best RW

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...rt=points&pg=2

I hope we target Bickell and stahlberg

LW
Hall
XXX
Bickell
Smyth

RW
Yakupov
Eberle
Stahlberg
Rajalas

To dream.
And this year he is 76th with 13 points. What's your point? http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...rt=points&pg=3

Is the NHL lying?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:48 PM
  #277
McNutty780
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Well based on this we are not okay.
No doubt. Kruger Unleashes Smyth as his secret weapon when the chips are down like he has done numerous times this past season.

If it didn`t piss me off so much, it would actually be amusing.

McNutty780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 09:19 PM
  #278
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutty780 View Post
No doubt. Kruger Unleashes Smyth as his secret weapon when the chips are down like he has done numerous times this past season.

If it didn`t piss me off so much, it would actually be amusing.

I think they should play this on the rexall big screen just before they release that weapon:


KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:49 AM
  #279
oilexport
Registered User
 
oilexport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
Ryan is done a year ago. Yet another joke of this management team. No disrespect as Ryan has been a good player in the 90's.

If the clueless Klowe ever decides to build a winnner the right way, Ryan retires with full honours or is bought out if he kicks and screams.

oilexport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:24 AM
  #280
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
Ryan is done a year ago. Yet another joke of this management team. No disrespect as Ryan has been a good player in the 90's.

If the clueless Klowe ever decides to build a winnner the right way, Ryan retires with full honours or is bought out if he kicks and screams.
How many of us were clamoring for a 1 year deal for Smyth? He tanked in the back 1/2 of the '11-12 season, instead they signed him to a 2 year deal MacT will probably have him back

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:11 AM
  #281
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How many of us were clamoring for a 1 year deal for Smyth? He tanked in the back 1/2 of the '11-12 season, instead they signed him to a 2 year deal MacT will probably have him back
I was one of the few who didn't want him brought back at all (from LA) because I knew he would be afforded boatloads of icetime at the expense of younger players who needed it like Paajarvi, Hartikainen, and Omark (don't want to get in an argument about him - I still believe he can be a significant point producer in the NHL, not yet ready to admit I'm wrong until I see him get another shot).

There were a lot of "I told you so"s after the first part of the 11-12 season. Then the wheels fell off. How, on a rebuilding team full of young talent, old plugs like Smyth and Horcoff end up being the runaway TOI leaders is beyond stupid. 11-12 would have been the perfect year to really see what we had with some of these other kids.

But, the season was done, and a lot of us hoped/assumed that management realized their error until they come out and tell us they have just signed Smyth for 2 years. Why are 1 year deals not good for the great Ryan Smyth? They were OK for guys like Selanne, Lidstrom, Sakic, etc...but not the great Smyth?

Anyway - count me in with the group that wants Smyth to retire or get bought out.

If Hemsky were to be moved to the 3rd line, that would give us a $13M 3rd line. Easily the most expensive 3rd line in the league, and arguably one of the worst - certainly one of the softest. The bottom 6 has been a huge problem. Smyth and Horcoff are HUGE parts of that.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  #282
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How many of us were clamoring for a 1 year deal for Smyth? He tanked in the back 1/2 of the '11-12 season, instead they signed him to a 2 year deal MacT will probably have him back
I did not want him back at all. But there were many who did, sadly. One year was the most I was hoping they would give him. He has been bad for a long time. He wasn't even on the PP in LA his last year there.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:28 PM
  #283
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,752
vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I did not want him back at all. But there were many who did, sadly. One year was the most I was hoping they would give him. He has been bad for a long time. He wasn't even on the PP in LA his last year there.
That's not a bad thing against Smyth. He was still able to put up 23g and 24a with no PP time?

One year deals with min salary and bonuses is what we should've been signing him to. If he somehow continued to being that 20-20 man then he'd get paid and both sides would've been happy.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:06 PM
  #284
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
That's not a bad thing against Smyth. He was still able to put up 23g and 24a with no PP time?

One year deals with min salary and bonuses is what we should've been signing him to. If he somehow continued to being that 20-20 man then he'd get paid and both sides would've been happy.
I think any player 35+ should be on one years. He did look good his first year until January. Then he just blew apart. This season was just plain bad. Time to hang them up. I hope he plays his two games to get to 1200 and retires.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:29 PM
  #285
oilers83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I did not want him back at all. But there were many who did, sadly. One year was the most I was hoping they would give him. He has been bad for a long time. He wasn't even on the PP in LA his last year there.
I remember there being rumors that he wasn't enamoured with the fact that he was being moved to the third or even the fourth line and that was more of the reason why he asked for a trade.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:37 PM
  #286
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerbear View Post
Did you ever play one of the top 5 sports in the world for your country.

My belief is you are a person with zero concept of what elite level play is.

based on your rejection of stats.

What i showed was Smyth was a top 40 EV point producer with real players.
And terible with Brown, Eager, Petrell.
Which you do not think is an excuse.

So you believe, Hall, RNH, Eberle are the same as Brown, Petrell, Eager @ even play and the diference is Smyth's fault.
Yes you are so correct.
Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

LOL@t......

Embarrasing of historic level:
Classic!

That is what everyone here is arguing.

Smyth needs to hang it up
cause it is his Fault!
Not that there is a diffrence between his teamates.

You guys are saying
Brown = Gagner, HALL, RNH, Eberle,
Petrell = Gagner, HALL, RNH, Eberle,
Eager = Gagner, HALL, RNH, Eberle,
to support your Smyth sucks argument.


EPIC!
EPIC!
LMAO EPIC!
What does attacking me with your dribble about "playing one of the top 5 sports in the world for your country" have anything to do with your argument? Is it supposed to lend you credibility when you're looking at a calculator and a website to make your point more valid. I'm not even going to bring in personal achievements here, but i will say I am still a competitive athlete in all sports even at the twilight of my careers.

Anyways, as other posters have ran into the ground, all you have to do is watch his individual play with the puck and away from it to notice he's been terrible.
Yes, he may have been on lines with less skilled players, but he has not done anything to show he deserves more ice time.

It's easy to say he played better with better players...hell anyone would. If you put established NHL'ers with our main horses I would bloody hope they are better players. That still doesn't diminish the fact that Smyth from an isolated viewpoint on the ice has been terrible.

I'm not disrespecting him, I was happy he came on board as a mentor at the beginning, but resigning him for 2 years extra was too much, too long. He needs to slide over and let the kids play, teach from the box, teach in practice. He's definitely no Jagr.

Funny part is, I'm a big advanced stats guy, I love it, but in hockey it's too hard to track, too easy to manipulate to set your own agenda. In Basketball, less players, but more control of those stats and less ambiguous. Advanced stats has kept me top of my keeper league for 3 years. Sure they put up stats, but they are terrible team players. Look at someone like Carmello Anthony. Big stats, however he makes players around him worst (debatable). Look at someone like Goran Dragic, great fantasy stats, led the team to one of the worst in the league, known to just put up stats over the team play.
Football, much easier as you view schemes more than individual players. Slower game. Baseball, slower, easier to identify individual players and patterns.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:32 PM
  #287
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
I remember there being rumors that he wasn't enamoured with the fact that he was being moved to the third or even the fourth line and that was more of the reason why he asked for a trade.
I guess the grass is not greener here.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:02 PM
  #288
17Kurri
Registered User
 
17Kurri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
I did not want him back at all. But there were many who did, sadly. One year was the most I was hoping they would give him. He has been bad for a long time. He wasn't even on the PP in LA his last year there.
I wanted him back, but I thought that it would be for his swan song season. Sadly, he's stuck around past the date of expiration.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:55 PM
  #289
Gabriel6676
Registered User
 
Gabriel6676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
This thread is rather distasteful. It has me thinking the Edmonton fans suffer from entitlement issues that this thread has a good number of contributors ignoring the fact that this is a disrespectful discussion. Smyth has been one of the most honest hard working players in the league for years. I don't think this should stop anyone from being able to honestly assess his performance and discuss it publicly - that's the NHL, but this can easily be done more tactfully. It makes me want to say - where is your head at you pack of spoiled brats? I can imagine Smyth looking at this thread and simply realizing for all the warmth during the good times - what was it worth?

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:05 AM
  #290
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,464
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I wanted him back, but I thought that it would be for his swan song season. Sadly, he's stuck around past the date of expiration.
That's just it. I think most of us, myself included, would have seen a one year deal as okay. The two years Tambo gave him were one year too many.

In any case, I do not expect to see very much if him next year. Like I said, I hope he plays two games to get to 1200 and they do a big retirement thing for him. No jersey raising though. Maybe the silver putter.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:14 AM
  #291
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
This thread is rather distasteful. It has me thinking the Edmonton fans suffer from entitlement issues that this thread has a good number of contributors ignoring the fact that this is a disrespectful discussion. Smyth has been one of the most honest hard working players in the league for years. I don't think this should stop anyone from being able to honestly assess his performance and discuss it publicly - that's the NHL, but this can easily be done more tactfully. It makes me want to say - where is your head at you pack of spoiled brats? I can imagine Smyth looking at this thread and simply realizing for all the warmth during the good times - what was it worth?
Ignoring people's failures because of their past accomplishment's is the main reason this organization is in the dumps right now.

The guy deserves every bit of criticism he's getting. Doesn't matter how much nostalgia we should have.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:17 AM
  #292
KlimasLoveChild
Registered User
 
KlimasLoveChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Toilet of Canada
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
This thread is rather distasteful. It has me thinking the Edmonton fans suffer from entitlement issues that this thread has a good number of contributors ignoring the fact that this is a disrespectful discussion. Smyth has been one of the most honest hard working players in the league for years. I don't think this should stop anyone from being able to honestly assess his performance and discuss it publicly - that's the NHL, but this can easily be done more tactfully. It makes me want to say - where is your head at you pack of spoiled brats? I can imagine Smyth looking at this thread and simply realizing for all the warmth during the good times - what was it worth?
Entitlement issues? You mean like freedom of speech? Give me a break.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:07 AM
  #293
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,512
vCash: 500
If I were the GM of the Oilers, I would give Smyth two options:
1) retire
2) be assigned to Stockton

Don't buy him out, $-bill Smyth would love that and it would cost the Oilers a buyout that could be used on Belanger.

I respect Smyth, for what he's done, but he is finished.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:15 AM
  #294
Gabriel6676
Registered User
 
Gabriel6676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Ignoring people's failures because of their past accomplishment's is the main reason this organization is in the dumps right now.

The guy deserves every bit of criticism he's getting. Doesn't matter how much nostalgia we should have.
I'm not sure you accurately read what I wrote.

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:19 AM
  #295
Gabriel6676
Registered User
 
Gabriel6676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Entitlement issues? You mean like freedom of speech? Give me a break.
So because I expressed my opinion freely I have entitlement issues? Is that what you are saying? Or are you saying it is your right to speak? In that case of course it is, but this needn't be done so in a manner that is so disrespectful.

I find it interesting how people attack others instead of logically encountering opposing views. Happens quite a bit here it seems.

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:52 AM
  #296
oilers83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
This thread is rather distasteful. It has me thinking the Edmonton fans suffer from entitlement issues that this thread has a good number of contributors ignoring the fact that this is a disrespectful discussion. Smyth has been one of the most honest hard working players in the league for years. I don't think this should stop anyone from being able to honestly assess his performance and discuss it publicly - that's the NHL, but this can easily be done more tactfully. It makes me want to say - where is your head at you pack of spoiled brats? I can imagine Smyth looking at this thread and simply realizing for all the warmth during the good times - what was it worth?
So wait, I'm distasteful, entitled, disrespectful, and a spoiled brat? I think it's quite contradictory and that your disrespecting my entitlement to be distastefully assess "a hard worker".

Simply put I pay money thru various avenues and support this team. Do make a huge contribution? No, but I am ENTITLED to my opinion. I remember the "warmth I felt" when he refused to settle for a reported 100,000$ less then what he wanted. What was it worth? Millions and Millions of dollars in his pocket in which I, although very little, and other posters here helped line.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:05 AM
  #297
Gabriel6676
Registered User
 
Gabriel6676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
So wait, I'm distasteful, entitled, disrespectful, and a spoiled brat? I think it's quite contradictory and that your disrespecting my entitlement to be distastefully assess "a hard worker".

Simply put I pay money thru various avenues and support this team. Do make a huge contribution? No, but I am ENTITLED to my opinion. I remember the "warmth I felt" when he refused to settle for a reported 100,000$ less then what he wanted. What was it worth? Millions and Millions of dollars in his pocket in which I, although very little, and other posters here helped line.
You can say what you like of course. I was not quite calling anyone a spoiled brat - just saying the title and content if some comments in this thread makes that my reaction. The main point is what does it cost you to show some respect while expressing the very same opinion?

Or is it your contention that Smyth does not deserve respect for his contributions to this organization because of the 100000 dollars incident?

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:45 AM
  #298
oilers83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
You can say what you like of course. I was not quite calling anyone a spoiled brat - just saying the title and content if some comments in this thread makes that my reaction. The main point is what does it cost you to show some respect while expressing the very same opinion?

Or is it your contention that Smyth does not deserve respect for his contributions to this organization because of the 100000 dollars incident?
I'm sorry but you did, to say I'm thinking something and then state what you were thinking clearly indicates the intent that you think some posters are spoiled brats.

That's a lot of money to a lot of people, so ya I do, and the ensuing antics was even more insulting. There's a lot reasons why he doesn't have my respect and some of them have nothing to do hockey.

You came in here and completely contradicted yourself talking about respect all the while disrespecting others.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 07:58 AM
  #299
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
This thread is rather distasteful. It has me thinking the Edmonton fans suffer from entitlement issues that this thread has a good number of contributors ignoring the fact that this is a disrespectful discussion. Smyth has been one of the most honest hard working players in the league for years. I don't think this should stop anyone from being able to honestly assess his performance and discuss it publicly - that's the NHL, but this can easily be done more tactfully. It makes me want to say - where is your head at you pack of spoiled brats? I can imagine Smyth looking at this thread and simply realizing for all the warmth during the good times - what was it worth?
You're right. It is distasteful. Dumping on Smyth for what was essentially a management failure (not going year-to-year on his contract) is pathetic.

I'm not a big supporter of how this fanbase tends to focus on what they're seeing rather than the machinations behind the product.

The Tambellini era was incredibly toxic. MacT will flush the turds, and Smyth will stick around to help this year.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
  #300
Gabriel6676
Registered User
 
Gabriel6676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
I'm sorry but you did, to say I'm thinking something and then state what you were thinking clearly indicates the intent that you think some posters are spoiled brats.

That's a lot of money to a lot of people, so ya I do, and the ensuing antics was even more insulting. There's a lot reasons why he doesn't have my respect and some of them have nothing to do hockey.

You came in here and completely contradicted yourself talking about respect all the while disrespecting others.
The distinction is small - but real. I am sure you have been in that position - where you would like to say something because so many of the elements that would make that true are present - but do not because you don't have enough information to fully justify that comment. The reason i said what i was thinking was to suggest that we consider what some of this fan base is that it would support such a thread as this. It is at the very least unnecessary to use such language as useless in relation to Smyth.

I think the reason you would refuse to see that is because you don't want to.

Your contention that Smyth is not deserving of some respect for a single contract issue (quite common in hockey and at least partly the organizations fault as well) doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Perhaps you should mention those "lots of" reasons?

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.