HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

An interesting Ref's comment.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullgang View Post
This thread is nonsense..... It was a scrum after the whiste and your player got plunked after he came back for more.

By your definition.... Rick Nash should of been called for his 2 handed slash on the pallie breakaway????

Remember refs can hear what players are talking about and if you have to cry about losing because you didn't get a power play off a scrum is just ridiculous.
I'm sure you feel better after posting this

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:00 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullgang View Post
This thread is nonsense..... It was a scrum after the whiste and your player got plunked after he came back for more.

By your definition.... Rick Nash should of been called for his 2 handed slash on the pallie breakaway????

Remember refs can hear what players are talking about and if you have to cry about losing because you didn't get a power play off a scrum is just ridiculous.
Calling a thread nonsense violation aside, the issue isn't the scrum its the inappropriate comment by the ref... which IMHO is suspendable.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:03 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Calling a thread nonsense violation aside, the issue isn't the scrum its the inappropriate comment by the ref... which IMHO is suspendable.
You can post that a 1000 times and people just don't get it.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:28 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blooblood View Post
wtf? those 2 calls should be enough to make a strong case for the league holding refs responsible and allowing challenges from coaches
"Ref's discretion" and all this nonsense is what ruins the officiating. The refs pick and choose favorites that they will ere on the side of, and ones they hate and make it known (a la Avery). A ref's own emotions/emotional investment in a game SHOULD NOT be allowed to dictate the game and there really needs to be much, MUCH more objectivity from refs.

Nothing is going to happen though because of the whole "ref's discretion" BS. And that refs are given benefit of the doubt since "the game moves so fast." Except when they're getting blatant calls wrong or just flat-out missing penalties occurring 5 feet in front of them 8 times out of 10, blatantly choose to make things calls/non-calls because of who's involved, or let their own personal grudges permeate their job, something's very wrong.

I know umpires in baseball make mistakes, but are they as frequent as hockey? Or how about in soccer? In football? I don't follow any other sport as closely as hockey so I don't know if officiating is as awful in other sports as it is in hockey. I know it's even worse in basketball..every time I try to watch a basketball game, I can never figure out why a foul was a foul and all the calls seem so ticky-tac.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:35 PM
ColonialsHockey10

People who use the amount of penalties as who got the fair shake to the ref need to get their head checked.

As do the people who base whether we play good or not on the scoreboard. Please learn to evaluate the game being played.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:00 PM
varanger94

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
"Ref's discretion" and all this nonsense is what ruins the officiating. The refs pick and choose favorites that they will ere on the side of, and ones they hate and make it known (a la Avery). A ref's own emotions/emotional investment in a game SHOULD NOT be allowed to dictate the game and there really needs to be much, MUCH more objectivity from refs.

Nothing is going to happen though because of the whole "ref's discretion" BS. And that refs are given benefit of the doubt since "the game moves so fast." Except when they're getting blatant calls wrong or just flat-out missing penalties occurring 5 feet in front of them 8 times out of 10, blatantly choose to make things calls/non-calls because of who's involved, or let their own personal grudges permeate their job, something's very wrong.

I know umpires in baseball make mistakes, but are they as frequent as hockey? Or how about in soccer? In football? I don't follow any other sport as closely as hockey so I don't know if officiating is as awful in other sports as it is in hockey. I know it's even worse in basketball..every time I try to watch a basketball game, I can never figure out why a foul was a foul and all the calls seem so ticky-tac.
Thank you. Ever notice the makeup call, the non call because you just called one. The what I call a Chaos game. Where a team commits so many penalties, that they reach the saturation point and the calls just stop. Sometimes the just letting them play derives from the Refs letting one team, letís call them Pittsburgh, get away with murder and so they end up just letting them play.

Iíll give you the perfect example of one Ref who I despise more than any other. Andy Van Hellemond. The following link is just icing on the cake of his horrible career. It made all my beliefs about him true.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/...ond040713.html

Old
05-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
Jus t responding to you thinking that anything behind the play is ok MATE
Except I didn't say that, obviously an elbow to the head is not ok, it was a harmless little punch

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:06 PM
varanger94

McGuire is on francesa right now

Old
05-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Aw c'mon...give the little internet toughie his day in the sun, why don'tcha?

Otherwise he has to go back to his non-internet life, where he wouldn't dare talk to people in person the way he talks to them from behind a keyboard!

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
If you think that's suspendable you've obviously been nowhere near an actual game on the ice he didn't even use a swear

I have known of a linesman who flipped the bird at a fan and he only got suspended for a couple of months

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:12 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Except I didn't say that, obviously an elbow to the head is not ok, it was a harmless little punch
And hooks are just harmless little tie-ups, so is holding, tripping, face-washing, interference, minor goalie interference, and "little" cross checks and slashes. A penalty should be a penalty should be a penalty and a ref shouldn't be able to say "Ehh, I know I called that as a penalty before, but I just don't feel like calling that now because someone complained about this/that/the other thing..maybe later though. We'll see." And when people say players should adapt to the way refs call a game? How about refs call games properly and "adapt" to (read: follow) the way the rules are written?

Old
05-21-2013, 02:17 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanger94 View Post
Thank you. Ever notice the makeup call, the non call because you just called one. The what I call a Chaos game. Where a team commits so many penalties, that they reach the saturation point and the calls just stop. Sometimes the just letting them play derives from the Refs letting one team, letís call them Pittsburgh, get away with murder and so they end up just letting them play.

Iíll give you the perfect example of one Ref who I despise more than any other. Andy Van Hellemond. The following link is just icing on the cake of his horrible career. It made all my beliefs about him true.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2004/...ond040713.html
What's absolutely disgusting about that article is that they "supposedly" knew he was taking money, and that they were "unequivocally satisfied" with the staffing decisions. Really? At least the league makes no mistake about saying they don't mind bribery..but Gretzky & Co. bet on games and that's suddenly the biggest travesty of the decade in hockey.

I believe it was Kerry Fraser who wrote in his book about fabricating make-up calls when a team complained about non-calls, or something to that effect. Like..are you ****ing serious? They literally make things up, and I think that's the best description of NHL reffing in it's current state. Extends all the way up to Shanahan's suspensions too..And I really hope I don't get a 100k fine for saying that.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:20 PM
varanger94

So far, the hockey mavin, Francesa, is showing how little he knows about hockey. At least he covering it. He's reading his questions off a sheet of paper that the producer must have given him. So far nothing about O'halaran. I'll bet McGuire told him it's off limits.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Who cares, is it the official's fault that Girardi and Del Zotto played like **** too? Man up, and play better

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:40 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post

Make up calls are a ****ing joke.

The fact that we expect them is a serious fundamental problem.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
varanger94

McGuire on Francesa.
I was right the muzzle was placed on McGuire. Nothing said about O'halaran. Probably asked mike not to mention it. Instead they focused on some supposed Riff between Torts and McGuire.

Mike - Dare is a ruema dat you and tautarella are havin a problem.
Pierre Ė No mike
Mike - So dares no riff between you two.
Pierre Ė Mike I think he done that with all media
Mike Ė Waitaskin Waitaskin let me ask a dumb question It seams like every time Bostin comes in da zone , day come in un touched.
What hurt dem was that the goalie game out afta da game and said Bostin is a bedda team den Washington.
Bostins passin bin beautiful
Is Linkwist hirt? Yea right da shoula. I think heal play.
Ya think Tautarella is goin to pull da shirt ova ya head
Thanks Piere

Hereís da Mink
Back afta dis

Old
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Knows Best View Post
Who cares, is it the official's fault that Girardi and Del Zotto played like **** too? Man up, and play better
People that want the game called correctly care. I bet the players wouldn't mind correct calls either. It has nothing to do with personal play of players, it has to do with the game being played the way the rules say it should be and the officials adhering to and properly enforcing those rules. I know it's close to impossible, but the league has to do something in regards to these minor semantic arguments of rule language to exploit what the rule is obviously trying to prevent/state/enforce. Akin to cap circumvention, just in real-time. I'm no parent, but I've seen enough parenting around me so here's an attempt to liken it to parenting - bad parenting leads to setting bad examples for your children which leads to them acting out more often to get attention (chatting up refs to get on their good side; complaining about non-calls to get make-up calls). Set good examples and your children will tend to follow suit a little more readily. The way calls go now, the players feel they have to get on a ref's good side in order to get that ticky-tac call to put their team on the PP, otherwise they're the ones on the receiving end of the penalty. For instance, the rule where only players with a letter on their jersey can talk to refs: why does this not universally apply? Why are players allowed to converse so heavily with refs between whistles, before face-offs, etc.? Captains/alternates should be the ONLY players allowed to converse with the refs for whatever reason, flat out.