HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

USA WJC Team Prediction 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
I never would have suspected that, really.

Old
05-19-2013, 01:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Bump, with junior playoffs and college seasons coming to a close/finished, I think it would be a good time to look at this again.

I think we can say with conviction that Galchenyuk, Trouba(considering his WC appearance and leaving Michigan), and Jones will not be available. With his recent antics, Matteau's spot on the team could be up in the air. He was one of the last cuts last year and people had him penciled into their bottom 6, but I'm not sure they'll want him. Or he could be on the Devils, and they won't let him go. Since leaving Nebraska-Omaha, Anthony Stolarz has played himself into prime position for the backup position behind Gillies IMO. Will Jack Eichel have a chance to make it? Hartman, Barber, Sieloff, and Gillies are all returners who I assume will be on the team(in addition to Galchenyuk/Trouba/Jones who likely won't be available). Guys who were close last year like Grzelcyk, Skjei, and Erne are very likely to make the team. Has anyone from the rosters mentioned earlier disappointed, or has anyone played themselves into getting a look?

Old
05-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Xokkeu

I would currently put the chances of these players being available at:

Galchenyuk .0000001% Something catastrophic would have to happen to his game.

Trouba 10% he hasn't yet made the Jets team and there is still a decent chance he starts off in the AHL. I don't expect him on the team, but he is by no means a lock not to go.

Jones 5% I can't see Jones going back to junior, but there is a small chance that if he were to fall to the Panthers that he might be a bottom pair guy this season and they conceivably could let him go. Very doubtful however and if he's on the Avs, which I expect, he might be a top pairing guy all season.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Exit Dose

I can't imagine that Kerdiles gets left off again.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Xokkeu

Obviously players like Barber, Kerdiles, Hartman and Erne will be key cogs for this team up front. Add in Fasching, Compher and Motte and I think you have your main top six forwards. It's certainly going to be a grind it out, skate hard and fast type team, but that's what we always are. I think Matteau will make the team. I feel like the Devils were just reluctant to send him back to Juniors, which we have seen some teams do with players like Brett Connolly and Nino Niederreiter. It doesn't seem to me that he's ready to be a key contributor for the Devils and should probably be available.

Old
05-19-2013, 02:35 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Obviously players like Barber, Kerdiles, Hartman and Erne will be key cogs for this team up front. Add in Fasching, Compher and Motte and I think you have your main top six forwards. It's certainly going to be a grind it out, skate hard and fast type team, but that's what we always are. I think Matteau will make the team. I feel like the Devils were just reluctant to send him back to Juniors, which we have seen some teams do with players like Brett Connolly and Nino Niederreiter. It doesn't seem to me that he's ready to be a key contributor for the Devils and should probably be available.
I agree with your premise but Fasching shouldn't or won't touch to top six.

05-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
I agree with your premise but Fasching shouldn't or won't touch to top six.
Probably not.

I'll also add that I think Eichel is a bubble player at this point.

Old
05-20-2013, 01:29 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

the US will have some very skilled players at their disposal...but as usual it will come down to how much they want to take kids from the CHL.

Hartman is a lock zero doubt about it, but now you have Erne, Lodge, Samuelsson, Clarke, and Bailey who all could play serious top minutes for this team. If USA holds grudges or tries to go with more familiar players, our top 6 could look very weak.

What I would like to see from USA Hockey for next year as it stands currently...assuming of course Matteau, Jones, Galchenyuk, and Trouba are all gone...

Kerdiles - Nieves - Cammarata
Hurley - Lodge - Erne
Barber - Compher - Hartman
Samuelsson - Vail - Bailey
McCarron
(probably will snub Blake Clarke this year, kid would make our top 6...Jack Eichel is the huge wildcard as well)

Seiloff - DeAngelo
McCoshen - Carrick
Skjei - Santini
Pesce

Gillies
Stolarz
Demko

Old
05-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
the US will have some very skilled players at their disposal...but as usual it will come down to how much they want to take kids from the CHL.

Hartman is a lock zero doubt about it, but now you have Erne, Lodge, Samuelsson, Clarke, and Bailey who all could play serious top minutes for this team. If USA holds grudges or tries to go with more familiar players, our top 6 could look very weak.

What I would like to see from USA Hockey for next year as it stands currently...assuming of course Matteau, Jones, Galchenyuk, and Trouba are all gone...

Hurley - Lodge - Erne
McCarron
(probably will snub Blake Clarke this year, kid would make our top 6...Jack Eichel is the huge wildcard as well)

Seiloff - DeAngelo
McCoshen - Carrick
Skjei - Santini
Pesce

Gillies
Stolarz
Demko

For what it's worth Adam Erne had 55 points in 64 games the year before the world juniors. Clarke had 51 in 68. Assuming Clarke goes on a point per game place next season just like Erne, the only thing that might work in his favor is that their won't be a lockout. Otherwise I kind of expect Clarke to be snubbed. Then again, Clarke is a bit a of higher talent than Erne by many estimations.

Old
05-20-2013, 04:41 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
For what it's worth Adam Erne had 55 points in 64 games the year before the world juniors. Clarke had 51 in 68. Assuming Clarke goes on a point per game place next season just like Erne, the only thing that might work in his favor is that their won't be a lockout. Otherwise I kind of expect Clarke to be snubbed. Then again, Clarke is a bit a of higher talent than Erne by many estimations.
you never know. Erne had to compete with Gaudreau, J.T Miller, and Galchenyuk for a top 6 role...that simply wont be an issue this year for both Erne and Clarke.

I also think I might swap out Hurley or Bailey for Tyler Kelleher. Kelleher is a dynamic little guy who can create havoc on big ice....I think he earns a spot as long as he is off to a good start his freshman campaign.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:19 PM
NinthSpoke06

Couple forward to keep an eye on in Adam Gilmour and Ryan Fitzgerald.

Not likely selections but Fitzgerald is especially one to watch.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:24 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post

Hurley - Lodge - Erne
McCarron

Seiloff - DeAngelo
McCoshen - Carrick
Skjei - Santini
Pesce

Gillies
Stolarz
Demko
I'm wondering why you think Grzelcyk won't be on the team. He was one of the last cuts last year, and there is only one returning defenseman, Sieloff(assuming no Jones or Trouba). He had a very good year for BU, and he's going to be a huge part of that team next year. He's clearly better than Brady Skjei

Old
05-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Smitty93

What about Danny O'Regan? He was arguably one of the top 3 freshmen forwards in the NCAA last year, along with Rocco Grimaldi and Riley Barber. Seems like he should have a good shot at making the team.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:56 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I'm wondering why you think Grzelcyk won't be on the team. He was one of the last cuts last year, and there is only one returning defenseman, Sieloff(assuming no Jones or Trouba). He had a very good year for BU, and he's going to be a huge part of that team next year. He's clearly better than Brady Skjei
as I stated a while back, I just think DeAngelo and Carrick are much better than him for that role. Pesce is a big time riser and Santini and McCoshen bring that big bodied shut down game with them... Grzelczyk is 5'9 and really doesn't offer that much more than any name I listed. Just not an overall big fan of his. He will have a fight on his hands to make this squad. If he makes it, it will mainly be to his USNDP days and familiarity to others on the team.

Old
05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

Our 2015 top 6 is going to be dirty. Wow

Old
05-21-2013, 05:03 PM
William H Bonney

Housley gets the opportunity that likely was the potential reason he declined an opportunity to lead the team again:

@ByKevinAllen: Phil Housley hired as Nashville's new assistant coach.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

Quote:
Housley gets the opportunity that likely was the potential reason he declined an opportunity to lead the team again:

@ByKevinAllen: Phil Housley hired as Nashville's new assistant coach.
Straight outta South Saint Paul lol

Old
06-02-2013, 12:38 PM
LukeMurphy5

Hartman-Vail-Erne
Matteau-Compher-Barber
Kerdiles-Samuelsson-Payne
Clarke-Lodge-McCarron
13:Cammarata
Trouba-Jones
Skjei-Sieloff
DeAngelo-Santini
7:Gryzlyck
Gillies
Burke
"C"-Trouba
"A"-Jones
"A"-Hartman

Last edited by LukeMurphy5: 06-02-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old
06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeMurphy5 View Post
Hartman-Vail-Erne
Matteau-Compher-Barber
Kerdiles-Samuelsson-Payne
Clarke-Lodge-McCarron
13:Cammarata
Trouba-Jones
Skjei-Sieloff
DeAngelo-Santini
7:Gryzlyck
Gillies
Burke
"C"-Trouba
"A"-Jones
"A"-Hartman
I'd swap Matteau and Kerdiles. Matteau isn't a skilled line player while Kerdiles might be out best forward. I also think there is almost no chance Jones or Trouba are on this team.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:23 AM
William H Bonney

@mikemorrealeNHL: The roster for the 2013 USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp will be released Thursday.

Old
06-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
@mikemorrealeNHL: The roster for the 2013 USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp will be released Thursday.
Any surprises?

Old
06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Camp roster has been released (40 skaters-no goalies yet): http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/ne...rrer_id=797432

Old
06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

No Jones, Trouba and Galchenyuk which makes sense at this point.

One glaring omission is Ryan Hartman. Is it an injury issue with him? I'd consider him a lock for the team if healthy.

A few other mild surprise omissions would be Ryan Fitzgerald, Connor Hurley, Tyler Kelleher and Michael Downing, though none of them are really shocking at all.

I don't think anybody would have guessed guys like Toninato, Guentzel or Copp would get invites. I'm also a bit surprised to see Shore, Ebert, Clifton and Thompson for various reasons though not shocked.

Losing that 'Big 3' is going to make things difficult but it should be interesting to see how things shake out at the camp.

Old
06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

no Hartman is very odd...especially no indication of an injury.

Agree that Fitz and Hurley are omissions, but nothing crazy to complain about. They picked a pretty balanced group that has a lot of CHL kids involved. Guentzel is a good one, glad he is getting some recognition.

Nick Ebert baby!!!! hahaha love to see him there, hopefully this is a bright spot in an otherwise down few years for the kid.

figured no Blake Clarke...only DeAngelo as a 2014 invite..

Old
06-06-2013, 11:43 AM
William H Bonney

Hartman was playing with a torn labrum since December and just had shoulder surgery. He won't be ready to play at camp but he's a lock for the team.

No crazy omissions but I was hopeful a '96 or two would get a chance. Eichel's poor U18 probably killed that chance.

Overcoming no Trouba, Jones, and Gally will likely be too much unless they choose a team that just gels like Sweden's team this past tournament.

Closed Thread