HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 03:15 PM
  #976
CBCnutcase
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants View Post
These games were on at the same time. How can the viewers be counted towards both? It's hard to believe that the Kings series almost had as many viewers as the Canucks.
It is a combined rating of both games, just like in the regular season with split-telecasts. Viewers in Alberta, BC, and Yukon saw one game and the rest of Canada saw the other game and the two areas add up to that total. Viewers were able to see both games during the intermission, viewers were to the other game until the next period would start.

CBCnutcase is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 03:23 PM
  #977
CBCnutcase
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
A lot of people love to sniff at the Canadian ratings and maybe the NHL back in the day, but as of now its a cash cow, with CBC'S contract up and after seeing what the Leafs just drew in the first round? Well that price just went up big time! Trust me Bell or Rogers would love nothing better to do than snipe those Saturday night games and having first choice for Leafs games in the playoffs or a Canadian vs Canadian showdown. Also, these local deals for regional coverage are going to be going up like crazy.

Also, to me what was a great sign a couple years ago when you had Vancouver/Boston in the finals. Now granted you had Boston and it went 7 games, but those drew some record ratings. To me that showed the NHL had build some kind of sustaining interest in their game. To have one Canadian team and you still did those numbers.....pretty impressive. We couldn't of said this 5 years ago. Just so happy with NBC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
I'll say that doubles easily! Maybe more or you might see CBC align with Rogers. The Leafs game for a game 7 did 5 mill! That is crazy! It peaked at a crazy number. Bell and Rogers are definitely taking notes...........
Game 7 of the Leafs and Bruins was amazing and 2 years ago, game 7 of the Habs and Bruins was also over 5 million when adding the RDS numbers. Notice how all these high numbers are because of the Bruins being the opposing team.

CBCnutcase is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 05:41 PM
  #978
Iglooicings
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Steve Lepore just tweeted 1.0 million viewers for Fridays Pens-Sens game on NBCSN. It was also reported that the local Pittsburgh rating was 19 something. Earlier the Pittsburgth Tribune-Review printed that in Round 1 against the Islandeers the Pens averaged 21.3 or 665,000 local viewers. That would suggest that Fridays 19 something meant roughly 600,000 local viewers. This would leave just 400,000 viewers for the all the rest of the country, i.e., outside of the Pittsburgh area. It does not seem believable that there would be more viewers in the smallish Pittsburgh area (2.5 million) than the entire rest of the country (300 million +) combined, even though the Pens were involved. Can anybody explain?

Iglooicings is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:14 PM
  #979
ebox99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iglooicings View Post
Steve Lepore just tweeted 1.0 million viewers for Fridays Pens-Sens game on NBCSN. It was also reported that the local Pittsburgh rating was 19 something. Earlier the Pittsburgth Tribune-Review printed that in Round 1 against the Islandeers the Pens averaged 21.3 or 665,000 local viewers. That would suggest that Fridays 19 something meant roughly 600,000 local viewers. This would leave just 400,000 viewers for the all the rest of the country, i.e., outside of the Pittsburgh area. It does not seem believable that there would be more viewers in the smallish Pittsburgh area (2.5 million) than the entire rest of the country (300 million +) combined, even though the Pens were involved. Can anybody explain?
That's what I've been trying to say in my earlier post, NHL gets great local ratings but poor national draw. 400K for rest of country might seem 'good' by hockey standard but it's really low considering it's the second round.

ebox99 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 06:23 PM
  #980
ebox99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post


Since when have NBA and NHL ratings been in the same stratosphere? It's a ridiculous comparison.
Stratosphere was in reference to the NFL ratings.

ebox99 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 07:38 PM
  #981
Jonas1235
Registered User
 
Jonas1235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,461
vCash: 500
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 7h
NBCSN drew an astonishing 25.6 for Pens/Sens G3 in Pittsburgh, the highest rating ever for a 2nd round NBCSN telecast in Pittsburgh.

Steve Lepore Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 7h
NBC drew a 15.8 in Boston for NYR/BOS G2, the highest-rated second round game ever in Boston on NBC.

Jonas1235 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 08:35 PM
  #982
Jax1166
Registered User
 
Jax1166's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: I-95
Country: United States
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Any local ratings for game two in NY for NYR-BOS?

Also, Steve Lapore, I guess it is best to get info from him on twitter not his SB page?

Jax1166 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 10:09 PM
  #983
saffronleaf
Registered User
 
saffronleaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country:
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCnutcase View Post
Game 7 of the Leafs and Bruins was amazing and 2 years ago, game 7 of the Habs and Bruins was also over 5 million when adding the RDS numbers. Notice how all these high numbers are because of the Bruins being the opposing team.
lol yeah I'm sure that's the main reason people tuned in -- because the Bruins were playing. Not because it was an O6 matchup featuring a Canadian team vs. its division rival.

Do you think if the Leafs and Habs play against one another in the playoffs that the ratings will not reach that amount because the Bruins are not in it?

saffronleaf is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:00 AM
  #984
frivolousz21
Registered User
 
frivolousz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Big ratings weekend.

1.9 = 2.7 million overnight. Will be 2,525,000 million at the least.
1.4 = 2.0 to 2.1 million overnight. Good for 1,900,000 million at the least.


Quote:
Two of the highest-profile NHL playoff series in recent memory failed to give NBC a boost in the overnights over the weekend.
Game 2 of the Rangers/Bruins second round Stanley Cup playoff series earned a 1.9 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon, even with Devils/Flyers Game 1 last year (1.9), but up 19% from Red Wings/Sharks Game 2 in 2011 (1.6).


The 1.9 is the highest of the postseason for the NHL on NBC.

On Saturday, Game 2 between the Red Wings and Blackhawks drew a 1.4 overnight — down a tick from both Rangers/Capitals Game 1 last year (1.5) and Bruins/Flyers Game 1 in 2011 (1.5).

Keep in mind Red Wings/Blackhawks began at 1 PM ET to accommodate NBC’s coverage of The Preakness Stakes. Last year’s game started at 3 PM.

So far, four of the five Stanley Cup playoff windows on NBC have had declines in overnight ratings compared to last year.
Friday cable game: pulled 1,000,000

NHL SEMI FINALS L NBCSN 7:30 PM 1000 0.4

frivolousz21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:02 AM
  #985
frivolousz21
Registered User
 
frivolousz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Louis, Mo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 13hNBCSN drew an astonishing 25.6 for Pens/Sens G3 in Pittsburgh, the highest rating ever for a 2nd round NBCSN telecast in Pittsburgh.
holy crap.
Quote:
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 13h

NBC drew a 15.8 in Boston for NYR/BOS G2, the highest-rated second round game ever in Boston on NBC.
Out standing.

Quote:
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 14h

In the battle of stuff that lasted a really long time last night: Tigers/Rangers on ESPN (1.3) barely edged Pens/Sens on NBCSN (1.1).
1.1 on cable = 1.4 million viewers.

frivolousz21 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:12 AM
  #986
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Considering a Canadian team was involved impressive.

The Korean* is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 08:49 AM
  #987
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Steve Lapore @stevelapore Red Wings have been so-so TV ratings-wise so far in Detroit. Maybe a series lead turns it around. Tigers Sunday Night game out-rated Game 2.

cutchemist42 is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 09:50 AM
  #988
Brodie
watcher on the walls
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 12,163
vCash: 500
There's been a lot more excitement surrounding the tigers thus far

Brodie is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 10:19 AM
  #989
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 30m
Chicago drew an 8.2 for Game 3, up from G2. Top outside markets: Pittsburgh (2.5), Buffalo (2.1), Vegas (1.7), San Diego/Ft. Myers (1.5)

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 32m
After some not-so-great numbers for G1-2, Detroit is in. A 15.3 for Game 3 combined between NBCSN (11.1) and CBC (4.2).

46zone is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
  #990
showstopper99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
I love me some Chicago, but 8.2? which is still good. Though, I thought maybe a 10? with it being a open Monday night slot. No competition, game 3. Interesting to see how many people will watch game 4 in Chicago after Detroit just beat them? I'm sure some fans thought that series would be a cake walk........It looks good for this series to maybe average close to 2.5mill with it going 6 and maybe 7 games?

showstopper99 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
  #991
showstopper99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
1.4mill for Sens/Penguins is awesome! NBC must of been happy with a few extra hours of having an audience staying on for that duration. Their getting their monies worth now........

showstopper99 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:10 AM
  #992
46zone
Guttersnipe
 
46zone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper99 View Post
I love me some Chicago, but 8.2? which is still good. Though, I thought maybe a 10? with it being a open Monday night slot. No competition, game 3. Interesting to see how many people will watch game 4 in Chicago after Detroit just beat them? I'm sure some fans thought that series would be a cake walk........It looks good for this series to maybe average close to 2.5mill with it going 6 and maybe 7 games?
Assuming Chicago wins game 4, the Saturday primetime game may do very well for NBC.

46zone is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:07 PM
  #993
Iglooicings
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 32m
After some not-so-great numbers for G1-2, Detroit is in. A 15.3 for Game 3 combined between NBCSN (11.1) and CBC (4.2).
Lepore also tweeted: “Quality aside, it's still crazy that NBC is paying $200M a year to not get exclusivity in two of the biggest hockey markets (DET/BUF).”

Can anybody enlighten me on the cable systems in the Detroit and Buffalo areas on both sides of the border? It is my understanding that those on the Canadian side cannot receive the cable sports channels that carry all the regular season games of the Wings and Sabres. Does that mean that Canadian fans of those teams just across the respective rivers in Windsor and Ft. Erie cannot watch most of their local teams’ regular season games on TV? If the answer is yes, that stinks. It appears from the tweets that the cable systems on the American side do carry the CBC so that Americans have a choice of watching some playoff games on either MSNBC or the CBC. Is that correct?

Iglooicings is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
  #994
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Country:
Posts: 29,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Big ratings weekend.

1.9 = 2.7 million overnight. Will be 2,525,000 million at the least.
1.4 = 2.0 to 2.1 million overnight. Good for 1,900,000 million at the least.


Friday cable game: pulled 1,000,000

NHL SEMI FINALS L NBCSN 7:30 PM 1000 0.4
The early starts hurt all the ratings nationally. I'm on the west coast, so a 10 AM start. Yes, I tuned in, but I never miss a Wings game if I can help it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 30m
Chicago drew an 8.2 for Game 3, up from G2. Top outside markets: Pittsburgh (2.5), Buffalo (2.1), Vegas (1.7), San Diego/Ft. Myers (1.5)

Steve Lepore ‏@stevelepore 32m
After some not-so-great numbers for G1-2, Detroit is in. A 15.3 for Game 3 combined between NBCSN (11.1) and CBC (4.2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iglooicings View Post
Lepore also tweeted: “Quality aside, it's still crazy that NBC is paying $200M a year to not get exclusivity in two of the biggest hockey markets (DET/BUF).”

Can anybody enlighten me on the cable systems in the Detroit and Buffalo areas on both sides of the border? It is my understanding that those on the Canadian side cannot receive the cable sports channels that carry all the regular season games of the Wings and Sabres. Does that mean that Canadian fans of those teams just across the respective rivers in Windsor and Ft. Erie cannot watch most of their local teams’ regular season games on TV? If the answer is yes, that stinks. It appears from the tweets that the cable systems on the American side do carry the CBC so that Americans have a choice of watching some playoff games on either MSNBC or the CBC. Is that correct?
Yes. I'm in Washington state and have been watching the Wings on the CBC feed (Vancouver). My provider is Comcast. Michigan Comcast also carried CBC from Windsor.

Fugu is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:14 PM
  #995
Fenway
Registered User
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 617
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iglooicings View Post
Lepore also tweeted: “Quality aside, it's still crazy that NBC is paying $200M a year to not get exclusivity in two of the biggest hockey markets (DET/BUF).”

Can anybody enlighten me on the cable systems in the Detroit and Buffalo areas on both sides of the border? It is my understanding that those on the Canadian side cannot receive the cable sports channels that carry all the regular season games of the Wings and Sabres. Does that mean that Canadian fans of those teams just across the respective rivers in Windsor and Ft. Erie cannot watch most of their local teams’ regular season games on TV? If the answer is yes, that stinks. It appears from the tweets that the cable systems on the American side do carry the CBC so that Americans have a choice of watching some playoff games on either MSNBC or the CBC. Is that correct?
You can be one mile from Joe Louis and to see the Wings you would need to buy Center Ice to get FS Detroit.

The former Empire Network did get a waiver from Canada's CRTC to show Sabres games in Ontario but it hasn't been allowed since. Of course you can get Leafs TV in Windsor.

Fenway is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:19 PM
  #996
ebox99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Who Are the Networks Rooting For?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...795244484.html


Without Heat, a Chilly June

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible NBA Finals matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. San Antonio vs. Miami 16.0 million
2. Memphis vs. Miami 14.0
3. San Antonio vs. Indiana 8.5
4. Memphis vs. Indiana 8.0



Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible Stanley Cup matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. Pittsburgh vs. Detroit 6.5 million
2. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago 6.0
3. Boston vs. Chicago 5.5
3. Boston vs. Detroit 5.5
5. Boston vs. L.A. 5.0
6. NY Rangers vs. Chicago4.5
6. NY Rangers vs. Detroit 4.5
6. Pittsburgh vs. L.A. 4.5
9. Pittsburgh vs. San Jose4.25
10. Ottawa vs. Detroit 4.0
10. Boston vs. San Jose 4.0
10. NY Rangers vs. L.A. 4.0
13. Ottawa vs. Chicago 3.75
13. NY Rangers vs. San Jose 3.75
15. Ottawa vs. L.A. 2.5
16. Ottawa vs. San Jose 1.75

ebox99 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:28 PM
  #997
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Country:
Posts: 29,743
vCash: 500
I wonder why a Detroit-Pens matchup would draw better than a Pens-Chicago matchup? Chicago is a far bigger market. I know the Wings have a fairly extensive national following, but you'd think you'd see that with Chicago as well, especially to a Cup run.

Fugu is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
  #998
ebox99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I wonder why a Detroit-Pens matchup would draw better than a Pens-Chicago matchup? Chicago is a far bigger market. I know the Wings have a fairly extensive national following, but you'd think you'd see that with Chicago as well, especially to a Cup run.


Would be interesting to see NHL get it's best match up versus NBA's worst and see how rating compare.

Game 7 between Boston vs. Chicago might get 10M if 8M saw Vancouver and Boston.

Any combination of Pittsburg, Chicago, Boston, Detroit might get record ratings

ebox99 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:42 PM
  #999
showstopper99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebox99 View Post
Who Are the Networks Rooting For?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...795244484.html


Without Heat, a Chilly June

Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible NBA Finals matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. San Antonio vs. Miami 16.0 million
2. Memphis vs. Miami 14.0
3. San Antonio vs. Indiana 8.5
4. Memphis vs. Indiana 8.0



Here's our estimated ranking of the best (and worst) possible Stanley Cup matchups for TV:

FINALS MATCHUP ESTIMATED VIEWERS
1. Pittsburgh vs. Detroit 6.5 million
2. Pittsburgh vs. Chicago 6.0
3. Boston vs. Chicago 5.5
3. Boston vs. Detroit 5.5
5. Boston vs. L.A. 5.0
6. NY Rangers vs. Chicago4.5
6. NY Rangers vs. Detroit 4.5
6. Pittsburgh vs. L.A. 4.5
9. Pittsburgh vs. San Jose4.25
10. Ottawa vs. Detroit 4.0
10. Boston vs. San Jose 4.0
10. NY Rangers vs. L.A. 4.0
13. Ottawa vs. Chicago 3.75
13. NY Rangers vs. San Jose 3.75
15. Ottawa vs. L.A. 2.5
16. Ottawa vs. San Jose 1.75


I totally disagree with some of these picks. The top 2 has to be these 2. I love Detroit, but Chicago right now is becoming the NHL's bread and butter from the west...... I think people forget that Boston/Vancouver did damn impressive numbers.... If you get a Chicago/Pitt or Chicago/Boston records will shattered guaranteed!!!!!!!

1) Pitt/Chicago
1a)Chicago/Boston

showstopper99 is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:47 PM
  #1000
showstopper99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...3-more/183649/

I'm a little disappointed with these ratings especially with it being a game 3/tied series and there was no competition last night..............1.6mill for viewers. I thought maybe closer to 2

showstopper99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.