HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sebastian Collberg signed to 3 year Entry Level Contract

Old
05-21-2013, 03:56 PM
VanNistelrooy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The details on the new PTA aren't official yet, last i heard so we'll have to wait and see but I would assume that both would be able to buy out their SEL contracts if that's what the Habs wanted.

Last PTA there was a deadline to bring over signed Euro prospects but who knows if that will change.

That's not true, unless something changes. Engqvist was signed with the Habs and his SEL club. He was loaned by the Habs to his SEL club and counted against the 50 contract limit but was paid by his SEL club.
If he is loaned by the Habs to his team in the SEL... that's because his "main" contract is with the Habs, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
How about he plays 45 minutes a night of Canadian PeeWee Hockey instead. More icetime = better, right?
Are you comparing the best development league in the world with peewee hockey?

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Scotianhab

Great to see him signed. Glad we're starting to pick a few Swedish players the last few years.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Actualy, this is exactly for his development that this would be the best. He barely played for the first half of the year, and most of his goal came from shootouts. He needs to PLAY. 20, 25, 30 minutes of icetime PP, PK, ES, he needs to be on the ice. CHL would help him gradually adjust to NA while playing a lot, where in AHL he would probably don't get a lot of icetime and waste a developpment year where he could rack up points and get great confidence for the next years.
In case you were interested the IIHF did a study on young Euro players coming over to N.A. to play in juniors and concluded that it was not generally a good idea. There was probably a bias on the IIHF's part to side with the euro leagues but one of their conclusions that made a lot of sense to me was. Players spending their time "adjusting" to the N.A game/rink are not developing as much as they would be if they weren't also trying to adjust.

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...IIHF_Study.pdf

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
The SEL is a great league and has shown to be a good stepping stone for a lot of European players who are in the NHL. I have no issues with Collberg playing there another season or two before coming to the AHL.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
If he is loaned by the Habs to his team in the SEL... that's because his "main" contract is with the Habs, right?
not sure what you mean by "main" contract since there's no such thing that i'm aware of. The situation works like this, said player is signed to a contract by his SEL club for next season, then later on he signs an NHL contract for next season. Now he is under contract for both teams, since he first signed with his SEL club he would either need to be loaned back to his SEL club or he would have to buy out his SEL contract.

So in this case, if the Habs want either player to play in North America they would need to buy out their final contract year in the SEL. If not, in the case of Nygren he would have to be loaned back, would be under contract with 2 teams, going against the 50 contract limit for the Habs but getting paid by his SEL club. In the case of Collberg since he is junior aged, his contract would just slid to start in 2014-2015 instead, he would be loaned back to his SEL club but wouldn't count against the 50 limit and while being under contract with both teams, his SEL club would be the one to pay him.

unless major changes are going to be made in the new PTA, but we'll have to wait and see.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
KRM

http://www.gp.se/sport/1.1684313-col...t-med-montreal

Some quotes;

...on signing with the Habs.
-It feels great, it's a dream come true. They're a classic hockey team who plays great hockey.

...on being loaned to Frölunda
It's what I want, to stay and develop another year in Sweden.

...on attending camp in July
I think the summer workout will feel a lot easier with that as a goal.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
not sure what you mean by "main" contract since there's no such thing that i'm aware of. The situation works like this, said player is signed to a contract by his SEL club for next season, then later on he signs an NHL contract for next season. Now he is under contract for both teams, since he first signed with his SEL club he would either need to be loaned back to his SEL club or he would have to buy out his SEL contract.

So in this case, if the Habs want either player to play in North America they would need to buy out their final contract year in the SEL. If not, in the case of Nygren he would have to be loaned back, would be under contract with 2 teams, going against the 50 contract limit for the Habs but getting paid by his SEL club. In the case of Collberg since he is junior aged, his contract would just slid to start in 2014-2015 instead, he would be loaned back to his SEL club but wouldn't count against the 50 limit and while being under contract with both teams, his SEL club would be the one to pay him.

unless major changes are going to be made in the new PTA, but we'll have to wait and see.
Interesting. So, in a way, the incentive to bring Nygren over right away is greater since his contract with the Habs will be in effect either way...

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

So for Nygren, if he is loaned back to the SEL, he would have one year left on his ELC (2013-2014 in the SEL) but Collberg would still have 3 years left even if loaned back to the SEL?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
To me it says that Nygren will come over next year (the 2014-2015 season)

Odd they would have Collberg come to the just drafted/college camp, but I guess one camp is better than none.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:48 PM
HABSINCE76

You know what would be epic and I hope it catches on.....chants of coal-berg like that of professional wrestler Goldberg........

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Interesting. So, in a way, the incentive to bring Nygren over right away is greater since his contract with the Habs will be in effect either way...
I don't know if it would be great or not, since the Habs didn't have any choice, they had to sign him before the June 1st deadline. With the a new PTA in place, we'll see what changes have been made in terms of bringing players over. Perhaps the Habs will look at it as though they are burning a year of his ELC and he counts against the 50 contract limit so that could put more pressure to bring him over now but in the end my guess would be that they will do what they feel is best for the development of Nygren since losing a contract spot shouldn't hurt next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
So for Nygren, if he is loaned back to the SEL, he would have one year left on his ELC (2013-2014 in the SEL) but Collberg would still have 3 years left even if loaned back to the SEL?
correct. Collberg is in the same boat as say Hudon, in that both are signed but since they are junior aged, their contracts slid unless they are in the NHL and play more then 9 games next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
To me it says that Nygren will come over next year (the 2014-2015 season)

Odd they would have Collberg come to the just drafted/college camp, but I guess one camp is better than none.
I wouldn't read into either way with Nygren, my bet would be that the Habs will go with what they think is best for his development as it wont hurt either way. Nygren has only 2 full seasons in the SEL, so another surely couldn't hurt, but they may also feel that getting him to North America quicker is the better way to go.

Collberg can likely only come to the one camp, as he's under contract with his SEL club at this time and with the SEL starting before the NHL, he will be with his SEL team when the Habs open their camp in the fall. Granted that would change if the Habs wanted him in North America and he bought out the final year of his contract.

In the end, we have to wait on the details of the PTA though, as it's hard to guess what if any changes will take place.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:17 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

I dont get the excitement about Collberg.

Since 2010-2011, he has played in 98 games and has 12 goals and 17 points.

Plus, he is 5' 11" and weighs 176 pounds.

Can someone explain to me why he is so great when he is small and does not score points?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Can someone explain to me why he is so great when he is small and does not score points?
I'm not sure if you're trolling or not.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

Send a message via Skype™ to Marc BargainBin
Quote:

Look at his International resume.

Marc BargainBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

man, this is just so pathetic by you southernhabs, cant understand why someone would want to troll like this for no reason, boggles my mind, its really pathetic

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:01 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I'm wondering that too.

All I saw was a few games at the WJCs but I really liked how he stepped it up in the third period of that gold medal game. That backcheck on Galchenyuk was incredible. He's got really good tools.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:28 AM
PsychoticHab

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
man, this is just so pathetic by you southernhabs, cant understand why someone would want to troll like this for no reason, boggles my mind, its really pathetic
Let's face it, what did you expect his input on the subject to be?

Either way, nice to see he now has a contract with MTL and I can't wait to see what he can do next year on a higher line in Frolunda. (Unless they put him in HAM already which would surprise me)

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 01:46 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
oh he's not

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:03 AM
Alexdaman
Ferret Lover/Master

vCash: 50

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:12 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSINCE76 View Post
You know what would be epic and I hope it catches on.....chants of coal-berg like that of professional wrestler Goldberg........
Damn you screwed the joke I was about to make!

Wich was "Hopefully he'll join the Habs as fast as a Spear!".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

In what world is 5"11 small?!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 06:59 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
I don't get it also, Collberg is also a pretty stocky kid. I remember Timmins saying that he was built like Alfredsson and that his legs were huge.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Playing for Frolunda seems like the default best-case option. But they should also keep a small back-door option open, maybe encourage the right team in the CHL import draft to at least take a 2nd round flyer on him. If it was the right organization and the Habs had a lot of confidence in that organization, and they seemed like a team that was going to do very well, it would at least be ideal to have the CHL option stowed away in the back pocket. Still with full-time SEL development as Plan A, of course. But it never hurts to have options.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:02 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Exclusively in the world of HF's Montreal Canadiens board.

Not 6 foot tall? MIDGET! DWARF!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Playing for Frolunda seems like the default best-case option. But they should also keep a small back-door option open, maybe encourage the right team in the CHL import draft to at least take a 2nd round flyer on him. If it was the right organization and the Habs had a lot of confidence in that organization, and they seemed like a team that was going to do very well, it would at least be ideal to have the CHL option stowed away in the back pocket. Still with full-time SEL development as Plan A, of course. But it never hurts to have options.
agreed, I would assume he plays in the SEL next season and then comes over the following season but now that he's signed they opened the door to several options now. I'd be surprised if they went the CHL route but wouldn't have a problem with it since i'm not sure i'd want him to go to the AHL at 19 although with his skill set I do think he could go there and do well.