HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why Don't The Habs Ever Get Any Credit?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2013, 06:35 AM
  #101
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Kriss, I just finished watching the Red Wings/Blackhawks game. Both of those teams are built with developed players that they drafted..........and with players that they traded for.

Building from within without trading is a very risky move and Edmonton proves that season after season.

I can only speak for myself but I think that WhiskeySeven and I want to see Bergevin adopt the Chicago way (which ironically is what he helped to develop) of improving a team by trading players on the team as well as draft picks and or prospects.

We may see that this offseason.
As LG said, the problem in Edmonton is management. They focused on offense and neglected their defense and goaltending, not to mention that they're not in their first year of their rebuild, they should be a contending team already after all the prospects they've drafted in the top 5-10.

Bergevin has been here for not even one full season.
My point is that critiquing Bergevin for a lack of big moves in a transitional year is quite ridiculous.
If he doesn't do anything to fix some of our issues this summer and throughout the year, then I'll understand the discontent. However, he already initiated his rebuild, trading away an aging vet signed for an extra 2years for an upcoming UFA, bought out Gomez, made Kaberle sit all season and will either move or buy him out. So there's no doubt he initiated the process so no reason to doubt him really for now.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:50 AM
  #102
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As LG said, the problem in Edmonton is management. They focused on offense and neglected their defense and goaltending, not to mention that they're not in their first year of their rebuild, they should be a contending team already after all the prospects they've drafted in the top 5-10.

Bergevin has been here for not even one full season.
My point is that critiquing Bergevin for a lack of big moves in a transitional year is quite ridiculous.
If he doesn't do anything to fix some of our issues this summer and throughout the year, then I'll understand the discontent. However, he already initiated his rebuild, trading away an aging vet signed for an extra 2years for an upcoming UFA, bought out Gomez, made Kaberle sit all season and will either move or buy him out. So there's no doubt he initiated the process so no reason to doubt him really for now.
Bergevin's best move would be to trade for a more patient fan base. He still hasn't so I've lost faith.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:25 AM
  #103
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
My goodness, what a bunch of whiners Hab fans have become.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:36 AM
  #104
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
My goodness, what a bunch of whiners Hab fans have become.


Why doesn't t-the rest of the league think my team is special



/thread

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:21 AM
  #105
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Bergevin's best move would be to trade for a more patient fan base. He still hasn't so I've lost faith.
Twenty years and still waiting.

Of course, the future looks great in two or three more years. In the meantime, please ignore the collapse of the Habs in the playoffs and the season of futility from our prospects in Hamilton.

But don't fret. Stay the course, don't make moves, draft a few players and we will win the Cup in a couple of years.

Sounds like a great strategy and we should all shut up and be content.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:25 AM
  #106
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
My goodness, what a bunch of whiners Hab fans have become.
Says the guy who almost lost his mind because what Bergevin said in a press-conference didn't agree with his own personal philosophy.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:50 AM
  #107
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Says the guy who almost lost his mind because what Bergevin said in a press-conference didn't agree with his own personal philosophy.
If you can't spot the difference between these two scenarios, I have nothing left to throw at you.

Except this :


Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
  #108
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post


Why doesn't t-the rest of the league think my team is special



/thread
heh, yeah that about sums it up

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
  #109
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Twenty years and still waiting.

Of course, the future looks great in two or three more years. In the meantime, please ignore the collapse of the Habs in the playoffs and the season of futility from our prospects in Hamilton.

But don't fret. Stay the course, don't make moves, draft a few players and we will win the Cup in a couple of years.

Sounds like a great strategy and we should all shut up and be content.
Since joining not even one year ago Bergevin has pretty much completely change the head office, changed the culture of the team with a new coaching staff who seemed to have installed a system that fits our group, beefed up our scouting department, freed some responsibility from our director of scout so he can focus a lot more on his main task, finally approved the hiring of a Dman coach, finally brought in specialized personnel to be in charge of player development and personnel, he signed 3 players with more sand paper from the open market, he re-signed players (granted not always the best decision like DD), he bought out Gomez, he traded an aging veteran signed to 2 extra years for an UFA this year, he made sure Kaberle stayed home so he can buy him out this summer if need be. All this over the span of not even one full season.

But ya, you're right, he didn't make any moves...

Come on man, the 20 years of waiting have nothing to do with Marc Bergevin. I get it, it freaking sucks. We all want to win. But you don't have to act like a baby that hasn't gotten what he wants. Bergevin hasn't been here for a year yet so give him time.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:26 PM
  #110
Hambone15
Registered User
 
Hambone15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Leaf fan coming in peace. I know, what I say may be tough to swallow, 1967 etc.

Montreal has accomplished nothing since 1993. You don't play hockey to get 1st or 2nd in a regular season or to lose at any point during the playoffs. You play to win the Stanley Cup. You get credit for winning a Stanley Cup *in a relative era* - which in my opinion, and this is being generous, is within the last 5 years.

Sure, give credit Montreal has won the most cups in history, but thats the point - it's history. In modern times you, toronto, ottawa, countless other teams, have done nothing. Winning a cup in 1993 doesn't mean you get respect today, it means you had respect in 1993.

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:37 PM
  #111
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown19 View Post
Leaf fan coming in peace. I know, what I say may be tough to swallow, 1967 etc.

Montreal has accomplished nothing since 1993. You don't play hockey to get 1st or 2nd in a regular season or to lose at any point during the playoffs. You play to win the Stanley Cup. You get credit for winning a Stanley Cup *in a relative era* - which in my opinion, and this is being generous, is within the last 5 years.

Sure, give credit Montreal has won the most cups in history, but thats the point - it's history. In modern times you, toronto, ottawa, countless other teams, have done nothing. Winning a cup in 1993 doesn't mean you get respect today, it means you had respect in 1993.
ok but were you even alive in 67?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:37 PM
  #112
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown19 View Post
Leaf fan coming in peace. I know, what I say may be tough to swallow, 1967 etc.

Montreal has accomplished nothing since 1993. You don't play hockey to get 1st or 2nd in a regular season or to lose at any point during the playoffs. You play to win the Stanley Cup. You get credit for winning a Stanley Cup *in a relative era* - which in my opinion, and this is being generous, is within the last 5 years.

Sure, give credit Montreal has won the most cups in history, but thats the point - it's history. In modern times you, toronto, ottawa, countless other teams, have done nothing. Winning a cup in 1993 doesn't mean you get respect today, it means you had respect in 1993.
I think everyone would prefer it if you left quietly and carefully.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
  #113
Hambone15
Registered User
 
Hambone15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
No I wasn't alive in 67, I was born in 85. Care to explain why that's relevent to the discussion? I'm well aware where the Leafs stand in the NHL community, it doesn't bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I think everyone would prefer it if you left quietly and carefully.
..Why? I added to the discussion, no flaming, baiting, nothing. I like to talk hockey, I don't care what team it's about.

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:38 PM
  #114
windycity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Well duh
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown19 View Post
No I wasn't alive in 67, I was born in 85. Care to explain why that's relevent to the discussion?
just funny, that's all

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:23 PM
  #115
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown19 View Post
..Why? I added to the discussion, no flaming, baiting, nothing. I like to talk hockey, I don't care what team it's about.
Because the Leafs are a gong-show of an organization and as bad or mediocre as the Habs have been, they never reached the depths of the Leafs. Our two organizations don't belong in the same breath.

Have your pity party with Florida, the Isles and Columbus.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
  #116
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post


Why doesn't t-the rest of the league think my team is special



/thread
NO the point of the thread was the media being bias. Asking what happened to real journalism and wondering why the most storied franchise in the NHL gets less coverage than most eastern Canadian teams even AFTER winning the division. As a fan i like to hear other peoples opinion on the team including the media. Your self entitled attitude is hilarious. its why I read your posts. Everything is your way or no way..George Castanza

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:31 PM
  #117
Hambone15
Registered User
 
Hambone15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Because the Leafs are a gong-show of an organization and as bad or mediocre as the Habs have been, they never reached the depths of the Leafs. Our two organizations don't belong in the same breath.

Have your pity party with Florida, the Isles and Columbus.

I never truly compared you to the Leafs, or meant for it to come off like that if that's what you think. I stated because your organization has done nothing in 20 years which is why you don't get the credit your fanbase (and only your fanbase) thinks it deserves. Forget that I'm a Leaf fan, and what I'm saying isn't an attack from a Toronto fan to a Montreal fan.

It's been 20 years since your last cup. After about 10 you lose any right to start calling other teams "gong shows" until you do something. That 20 years will turn into 46 alot faster than you think. Come to think of it it's at 21 now..

Perhaps you should get off your Leaf hating horse and try and have a relevent discussion. Maybe you think what I'm saying is wrong, but using the typical "LOL LEAFS SUCK 67676767667" argument doesn't really do anything in your favor.

You're part of the pity party bud, your teams been the creepy guy in a state of denial sitting alone in the corner not talking to anyone for years.

Hambone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:55 PM
  #118
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown19 View Post
I never truly compared you to the Leafs, or meant for it to come off like that if that's what you think. I stated because your organization has done nothing in 20 years which is why you don't get the credit your fanbase (and only your fanbase) thinks it deserves. Forget that I'm a Leaf fan, and what I'm saying isn't an attack from a Toronto fan to a Montreal fan.

It's been 20 years since your last cup. After about 10 you lose any right to start calling other teams "gong shows" until you do something. That 20 years will turn into 46 alot faster than you think. Come to think of it it's at 21 now..

Perhaps you should get off your Leaf hating horse and try and have a relevent discussion. Maybe you think what I'm saying is wrong, but using the typical "LOL LEAFS SUCK 67676767667" argument doesn't really do anything in your favor.

You're part of the pity party bud, your teams been the creepy guy in a state of denial sitting alone in the corner not talking to anyone for years.
Please read the opening post before you comment. As a fan it would be nice to have more coverage. Just as much coverage as the leafs jets and sens get.

Pretty sure leaf fans are the one sitting alone in a corner with the TSN panel crying and having a circle jerk wishing the leafs could EVER do SOMETHING.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:56 PM
  #119
WhiskeySeven
Avatard
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
NO the point of the thread was the media being bias. Asking what happened to real journalism and wondering why the most storied franchise in the NHL gets less coverage than most eastern Canadian teams even AFTER winning the division. As a fan i like to hear other peoples opinion on the team including the media. Your self entitled attitude is hilarious. its why I read your posts. Everything is your way or no way..George Castanza
You're saying the media is biased - I offered a reason: The Habs are not special.

We didn't win the division so much as Boston choked it up on the last game. We went 4-8 in the last stretch and got bumped in 5 to a team full of rookies. We don't deserve respect for the on-ice product, especially since we still have that image of trapping, diving smurfs led by Count Jacque-ula.

Therrien changed the atmosphere but the players have to change too, if we bring in some actual game-breaking talent and our superstar (Price) plays like a superstar - we're going to get duly deserved credit.

It has nothing to do with bias or racism or politics - the Habs have just been a crappy on-ice product for a while. Koivu+Kovalev aren't going to sell seats, neither is Gionta+Plekanec. Maybe with Subban and the two Gallys we're going to have something that resembles a regular goal threat and then we'll be in highlight reals aplenty.

The Canadian media would LOVE to have a good, marketable Canadian team but every single team seems to have huge flaws and none of 'em strike fear like the Flyers, Bruins, Pens, Kings or Blackhawks do.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:25 PM
  #120
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
NO the point of the thread was the media being bias. Asking what happened to real journalism and wondering why the most storied franchise in the NHL gets less coverage than most eastern Canadian teams even AFTER winning the division. As a fan i like to hear other peoples opinion on the team including the media. Your self entitled attitude is hilarious. its why I read your posts. Everything is your way or no way..George Castanza
The modern day Canadiens being a "storied franchise" is not applicable.

Look at the teams who have won a Cup since our last Cup win.

The legendary Dallas Stars. The dynastic Tampa Bay Lightning. The hockey powerhouse Carolina Hurricanes. The Anaheim Ducks...

The Habs have done nothing since 1993.

Winning the division or making the playoffs may be a success to some fans of the Habs. In the real world, that does not count for much.

Its all about the Stanley Cup. Twenty years of futility. The media cannot be blamed for their coverage of the present day Montreal Canadiens.

Sucks but sometimes reality does also.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
  #121
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The modern day Canadiens being a "storied franchise" is not applicable.

Look at the teams who have won a Cup since our last Cup win.

The legendary Dallas Stars. The dynastic Tampa Bay Lightning. The hockey powerhouse Carolina Hurricanes. The Anaheim Ducks...

The Habs have done nothing since 1993.

Winning the division or making the playoffs may be a success to some fans of the Habs. In the real world, that does not count for much.

Its all about the Stanley Cup. Twenty years of futility. The media cannot be blamed for their coverage of the present day Montreal Canadiens.

Sucks but sometimes reality does also.
WELL THEN / ALL THREADS EXCEPT THE KINGS SINCE THEY ARE THE MOST RECENT WINNER.

Please any team that wins a division or conference deserves respect that's why they made banners for them. I can't believe that "real" habs fan would think that their team deserves no credit no matter what if they don't win the cup. No wonder nobody wants to play Montreal its full of pessimistic unrealistic fans who think a cup is all that matters. We made a ton progress this year and some of our own fans follow the media and give them zero credit. Imagine

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:01 PM
  #122
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
NO the point of the thread was the media being bias. Asking what happened to real journalism and wondering why the most storied franchise in the NHL gets less coverage than most eastern Canadian teams even AFTER winning the division. As a fan i like to hear other peoples opinion on the team including the media. Your self entitled attitude is hilarious. its why I read your posts. Everything is your way or no way..George Castanza
You mean like having their own french telecast, ala RDS? You mean like coast to coast HNIC coverage? Yeah, they really do have it rough, no respect. Oh, forgot to mention the Punjabi coverage on the weekends, but that doesn't count either.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:59 PM
  #123
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown19 View Post
No I wasn't alive in 67, I was born in 85. Care to explain why that's relevent to the discussion? I'm well aware where the Leafs stand in the NHL community, it doesn't bother me.



..Why? I added to the discussion, no flaming, baiting, nothing. I like to talk hockey, I don't care what team it's about.
You did add to the discussion and I appreciate seeing a different perspective on this board.

You feel the only measure of respect is winning a Cup in the last five years or so. Okay, that's your opinion. But then how are we supposed to judge the 25 teams who haven't won in that timeline? Are they all failed franchises? I don't think you'd say so. It's hard to say solid contenders like Vancouver, San Jose and St Louis aren't worth respecting because they've never won a Cup.

And even winning the Cup isn't an automatic ticket to respect. Half the teams in the league LOST respect for the Bruins when they won a Cup. Same with Pittsburgh. Success breeds resentment as often as it does respect. You'll disagree, but I think part of the attitude against Montreal is leftover resentment over those 24 banners hanging over the arena. No matter what the team does, the Montreal Canadiens will never really be seen as the sympathetic underdog. They have had too much success - even though it's past success - to be liked.

I think respect is one of those fuzzy words we use in whatever way suits our bias. Habs' rivals will usually say they have 'no respect' for the organization, but there's no substance or fact behind their words - just their fuzzy feelings. They might have read one or two obnoxious posts, they might have seen one or two bad plays on the ice, and that's all the evidence they need to wrap themselves tightly and never let go of silly cliches about the fans and team. And yeah, it works both ways. Habs fans are no better when it comes to the Leafs, Bruins and maybe one or two other teams. We hurl insults back and forth and claim not to respect each other, until a certain point when you realize all the dumb insults apply exactly as much to your own team as it does to mine.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
  #124
SouthernHab
Registered User
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
WELL THEN / ALL THREADS EXCEPT THE KINGS SINCE THEY ARE THE MOST RECENT WINNER.

Please any team that wins a division or conference deserves respect that's why they made banners for them. I can't believe that "real" habs fan would think that their team deserves no credit no matter what if they don't win the cup. No wonder nobody wants to play Montreal its full of pessimistic unrealistic fans who think a cup is all that matters. We made a ton progress this year and some of our own fans follow the media and give them zero credit. Imagine
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and burst your bubble but hockey players do not decide where they want to play based upon the fanbase. Yes, you and I are irrelevant to professional athletes.

Its all about the money first and for established stars, the best chance to win a Cup (Iginla proved that point at the trade deadline).

Funny that you put " " around "real" fans. I have seen the Habs win multiple Cups being a "real" fan.

You can put any spin that you like on this season of Canadiens hockey. If it makes you happy as hell that we won the division and made the playoffs, knock yourself out with your joyous celebration.

However, once reality sets in, this season goes down as a good season but one of ultimate failure.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:17 PM
  #125
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news and burst your bubble but hockey players do not decide where they want to play based upon the fanbase. Yes, you and I are irrelevant to professional athletes.

Its all about the money first and for established stars, the best chance to win a Cup (Iginla proved that point at the trade deadline).

Funny that you put " " around "real" fans. I have seen the Habs win multiple Cups being a "real" fan.

You can put any spin that you like on this season of Canadiens hockey. If it makes you happy as hell that we won the division and made the playoffs, knock yourself out with your joyous celebration.

However, once reality sets in, this season goes down as a good season but one of ultimate failure.
Quoted For Truth!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.