HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

View Poll Results: Draft goes Jones/Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov/Nichushkin/Nurse. Who should they take?
Monahan 138 73.02%
Lindholm 51 26.98%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2013, 05:46 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Are you a Hurricanes fan?
No. Hemsky is a proven and contributing NHL player on a team attempting to make a push for the playoffs next year. That versus a second round drafted goalie, what are the odds that turns out in all reality. Dubnyk just had his first semi-legit season almost 10 years after he was drafted. I love prospects but if you want to make the playoffs next year I wouldn't just give up Hemsky, that's not exactly a player you find sitting around on the street.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:52 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
No. Hemsky is a proven and contributing NHL player on a team attempting to make a push for the playoffs next year. That versus a second round drafted goalie, what are the odds that turns out in all reality. Dubnyk just had his first semi-legit season almost 10 years after he was drafted. I love prospects but if you want to make the playoffs next year I wouldn't just give up Hemsky, that's not exactly a player you find sitting around on the street.
A top six guy who averages 30pts a year over the last four seasons?

Shouldnt be too hard to find.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:40 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Hey guys!

This is my latest Mock Draft with the standings as of today. I believe strongly this is my most complete mock draft ever...for real. Each player is ranked according to BPA and most possible by the needs of each teams as well. I've put a lot of work and research into it. As always, feel free to comment, whether you hate it or love it.

Enjoy the reading!

http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2013/...ercard_21.html

If Calgary takes Domi with their pick, I will be jumping for joy at the draft. I don't even care who we draft at that point.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:41 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Hey guys!

This is my latest Mock Draft with the standings as of today. I believe strongly this is my most complete mock draft ever...for real. Each player is ranked according to BPA and most possible by the needs of each teams as well. I've put a lot of work and research into it. As always, feel free to comment, whether you hate it or love it.

Enjoy the reading!

Interesting to say the least. I hope the Oil pick Lindholm, but their scouting staff has yet to even mention him, so I'm doubtful.

Old
05-21-2013, 07:13 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
A top six guy who averages 30pts a year over the last four seasons?

Shouldnt be too hard to find.
His value is as lowest as it's ever been, I'd rather not deal him at that point and hope for a bounce back rather than drafting a 17 year old goalie. If he's worth nothing now than why not wait it out and try to maximize his value. Unless you really think he doesn't deserve to be an NHL player at all, in that case talking back on forth on a message board about that will probably do nothing to change either of our minds.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
If Calgary takes Domi with their pick, I will be jumping for joy at the draft. I don't even care who we draft at that point.
Close enough to Jankowski to consider it, you'd imagine...

But seriously, if that list somehow comes true, we'll be set for quite a while.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:29 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Hey guys!

Enjoy the reading!

I could see Feaster taking Domi, that would be so awesome. Its part of his MO to try and make bold moves but totally get owned by them

Old
05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Usual_Suspect

@FCHockey: The NHL has unveiled the list of participants at the 2013 NHL Scouting Combine later this month. http://t.co/h7u82FCrEV

Quote:
Over a hundred of the 2013 NHL Draft’s top prospects will be in attendance at the NHL Scouting Combine from May 27 to June 1 in Toronto, ON.

Eighty-six North American skaters will be joined by 15 European-based players at the combine, split into two parts that feature an interview process held May 27-30 followed by a fitness test on June 1.

Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin, ranked 1-2-3 by Future Considerations, will all be in attendance. The trio, along with the likes of Max Domi, Nikita Zadorov, Bo Horvat, Nic Petan and Zach Fucale are currently participating in the 2013 Memorial Cup.

Darnell Nurse and Aleksander Barkov will not take part in the physical testing portion of the event after suffering season-ending injuries. Both underwent surgery after suffering from ailments in each player’s respective playoffs.

Each of the top 55 players in Future Considerations’ final ranking will be in attendance at the combine. At 56th, Peter Cehlarik is Future Considerations’ highest ranked player to not be attending the event.

For the full list of attendees, please click here.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=17733

Old
05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
rockinghockey

Can't see CGY taking Domi, I really feel that CAR will either draft a dman or trade down and draft a dman for the extra pick.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:48 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Close enough to Jankowski to consider it, you'd imagine...

But seriously, if that list somehow comes true, we'll be set for quite a while.
Guarantee they don't take a 5'10 C in a division with behemoths at the position

Old
05-21-2013, 11:08 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Can't see CGY taking Domi, I really feel that CAR will either draft a dman or trade down and draft a dman for the extra pick.
Domi was -4 and scoreless in tonights 9-2 beating. Zadorov managed to stay even.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Hemsky had his last good, full season, when? Like five years ago? Come on. If you want to keep Hemmer, fine go ahead, but be prepared to move Yak or Eberle because none of those three are playing on a true NHL third line.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
40oz

Quote:
Hey guys!

Enjoy the reading!

Maybe this is just semantics, but I really dont think Lazar had a rough year. He was consistently the Oil Kings best forward even during a few slow patches offensively. And despite those slow patches he still outscored guys like Horvat and Hartman who you ranked ahead of him.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:27 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
In case nobody caught that, Stauffer was musing that theres a team a couple spots higher in the draft that the Oilers have a trading history with that he sees can make sense if the Oilers trade up.

Spoil:
Carolina... duh.
It makes a lot of sense as long as they are willing. Many of us have been clamoring for MacT to do just that.

05-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Domi was -4 and scoreless in tonights 9-2 beating. Zadorov managed to stay even.
Wow, was that because he was just "lucky" or because he played very well?

Old
05-22-2013, 12:36 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Hemsky had his last good, full season, when? Like five years ago? Come on. If you want to keep Hemmer, fine go ahead, but be prepared to move Yak or Eberle because none of those three are playing on a true NHL third line.
I just think it's worth one last kick at the can before giving him up for nothing right now. Giving yourself a strict set of parameters for a "third line" is limiting how effective your hockey team can be as a whole.

I'd rather get back to prospect talk though. As I said, if you think poorly of Hemsky I doubt there is much to be said that could change your mind. With 83, it seems you're either in or out on him and it just ends at a difference of opinion always.

Last edited by puckfan13: 05-22-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old
05-22-2013, 12:36 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Wow, was that because he was just "lucky" or because he played very well?
He played quite badly for most of the game actually, another reason why the +/- stat is useless. I've resisted saying this for months and everybody looks worse when their team gets shelled, but I see flashes of the "P word" from this guy. P word being Plante, as in Alex Plante.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:40 AM
puckfan13

Sort of getting the feeling that Avs scouts might be getting nervous about not selecting MacKinnon at #1, we all know this debate all too well unfortunately. Nice to see it tormenting another fanbase now though haha, glad we're done with that torture (as nice as it is to have a bunch of great pieces going forward). Ours seemed to die down a bit every year, but I think we saw every possible argument already for winger vs. centre or forward vs. defenseman or late birthday vs. early birthday, etc., etc.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:03 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
I just think it's worth one last kick at the can before giving him up for nothing right now. Giving yourself a strict set of parameters for a "third line" is limiting how effective your hockey team can be as a whole.

I'd rather get back to prospect talk though. As I said, if you think poorly of Hemsky I doubt there is much to be said that could change your mind. With 83, it seems you're either in or out on him and it just ends at a difference of opinion always.
There is no "last kick at the can" for Hemsky in Edmonton. He's a UFA at the end of the season and this is the last chance for the team to get any sort of value for him, no matter how reduced it is.

Because they sure as hell aren't getting a decent return if they keep him until the trade deadline. He's been bumped down the roster by Eberle/Yakupov, and won't get all the cushy powerplay minutes to bump up his numbers to make him more attractive to playoff bound teams either. He doesn't even fit the type of player teams want at trade deadline(big and/or playoff warrior types, or defensemen).

Old
05-22-2013, 01:03 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
There is no "last kick at the can" for Hemsky in Edmonton. He's a UFA at the end of the season and this is the last chance for the team to get any sort of value for him, no matter how reduced it is.

Because they sure as hell aren't getting a decent return if they keep him until the trade deadline. He's been bumped down the roster by Eberle/Yakupov, and won't get all the cushy powerplay minutes to bump up his numbers to make him more attractive to playoff bound teams either. He doesn't even fit the type of player teams want at trade deadline(big and/or playoff warrior types, or defensemen).
OK. I am done discussing this as I said, I'd rather focus on prospect talk.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:11 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Honestly if the Oilers had the #1 pick I'd be perfectly happy with either Jones or MacKinnon. I was actually a MacKinnon band-wagoner from day 1 but came around to seeing that Jones was a premier choice as well.

Obviously the Oilers don't have the luxury of picking either... but the Av's can't lose no matter who they pick.

99.9% chance Colorado chooses Jones though. Just look how relieved they were when they won the lottery. You know they were ecstatic that they could now pick their boy Jones without any worry about how to trade up.

Old
05-22-2013, 06:54 AM
Starscream

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 1m

Interesting... #NHLDraft MT @IgorEronko Valeri Nichushkin told Rsport.ru he had terminated contract with #Dynamo and now moves towards #NHL

Old
05-22-2013, 07:15 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

Interesting... #NHLDraft MT @IgorEronko Valeri Nichushkin told Rsport.ru he had terminated contract with #Dynamo and now moves towards #NHL
This is only good news for Oiler fans. Hopefully someone takes him in the top 6.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post

Oh wow! This could be huge.

Anyone know much about this kid other than the youtube clips? I see him listed as a C and sometimes as a winger (both RW and LW)

I've read people comparing to Malkin or Jordan Staal...IF this kid can be a C, I would have no problem picking him. 6'4", 200+ smooth skating great hands? Sure.

Old
05-22-2013, 08:08 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Oh wow! This could be huge.

Anyone know much about this kid other than the youtube clips? I see him listed as a C and sometimes as a winger (both RW and LW)

I've read people comparing to Malkin or Jordan Staal...IF this kid can be a C, I would have no problem picking him. 6'4", 200+ smooth skating great hands? Sure.
I don't know why he's listed as a Center. I honestly think its just to try and raise his draft stock. He will be a winger at the NHL level.

He is unbelievable when he's on his game but has some serious consistency issues and can be lazy at times. He had a really poor performance at the U-18s but looked great at the WJC. Explain that to me :/

Closed Thread