HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Best Defenseman from 2012 Draft

Old
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
People (a good amount already do) need to be aware of how good Lindholm was this year. Defensively he was the best player on a Norfolk team right out of the draft. His positioning, skating, vision, and awareness are terrific for an 18 year old. At such a young age he wasn't just showing proficiency out there, but he was running plays from the blueline and directing his forwards on where to position themselves. I'll admit I hated the pick at first. Knowing that Forsberg and Trouba were still available. And I'd still take Trouba over Lindholm, but Hampus was a great selection at 6 IMO.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
ottawah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
The consensus as everyone else, Jacob Trouba. Still don't know how he slid to 9th but he is going to be an absolute stud for the Jets. They have got to be thrilled to have landed him. He's the kind of player I think the Jets should build around.
Because he did not play CHL and it made him very hard to judge.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Murray's still somebody who I wouldn't want to judge based off of stats. Everett hasn't had much forward talent during Murray's time there. Even going into last year's draft, I think most people would have conceded that Rielly had greater offensive upside, but that Murray was more dependable in his own end.
Perhaps, but even defenders on bad teams usually can manage some level of offense. Ceci was on a terrible Ottawa team and still pulled in about a point per game.

If Murray has limited offensive upside, then he's probably looking at being a second pairing D man at best, not exactly high on anyones list. I see him more as a smaller less talented version of Jay Bouwmeester. A player any team wants on their roster, but not a player that anyone thinks they need to win.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Trouba is getting quite the amount of praise around here. I don't pay enough attention to judge, but I'm just happy the Jets saw what they did in him. You could tell in our GMs voice on draft day (at least more so than Scheifele) that he was thrilled he fell to us.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
People (a good amount already do) need to be aware of how good Lindholm was this year. Defensively he was the best player on a Norfolk team right out of the draft. His positioning, skating, vision, and awareness are terrific for an 18 year old. At such a young age he wasn't just showing proficiency out there, but he was running plays from the blueline and directing his forwards on where to position themselves. I'll admit I hated the pick at first. Knowing that Forsberg and Trouba were still available. And I'd still take Trouba over Lindholm, but Hampus was a great selection at 6 IMO.
Just let it go. Noone knew who Schultz or Gardiner were until there were off the Ducks.

The right answer has to be Trouba right now. He is the only guy taken after Hampus that I would even consider trade him for.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Team Mathew > Team Jacob

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Trouba or Murray

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:33 PM
kernel

Jacob Trouba has proven his worth so far.

kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:36 PM
LeHabsMan

1. Jacob Trouba
2. Ryan Murray
3. Hampus Lindholm
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Griffin Reinhart

I feel like some are underrating Reinhart's defensive play. He will be a beast defensively and can make a good first pass.

LeHabsMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
1. Jacob Trouba
2. Ryan Murray
3. Hampus Lindholm
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Griffin Reinhart

I feel like some are underrating Reinhart's defensive play. He will be a beast defensively and can make a good first pass.

I like your list but Rielly over Lindholm for me.

kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think Lindholm will be great, I am a big fan.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Rielly was terrific for MJ, and every time I saw Everett or Red Deer play Murray/Dumba were great as well.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Right now Trouba is the best but in 3 years Morgan Rielly will be the steal of the draft.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Brewster

Trouba or Murray. Tough to leave out Rielly but Trouba is an offensive and physical beast while Murray plays an awesome all around game.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
BigMacJokinen

Rielly and Trouba

BigMacJokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:23 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Right now Trouba is the best but in 3 years Morgan Rielly will be the steal of the draft.
The number 5 pick in the draft will be the steal of the draft? I eagerly anticipate Karlsson level numbers then.

Old
05-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
The number 5 pick in the draft will be the steal of the draft? I eagerly anticipate Karlsson level numbers then.
He will be close...... 55-65 points or more steady. The next Zubov.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
No offense, but this is kinda a butt-hurt comment. Unless you're implying that the only way he can be the best dman in this draft is to be Karlsson 2.0.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
No offense, but this is kinda a butt-hurt comment. Unless you're implying that the only way he can be the best dman in this draft is to be Karlsson 2.0.
No I'm claiming that to be the biggest steal so certainly from this point on against 200+ other players would require him to be posting 60+ points annually. He's a fifth overall pick. He's expected to put up great numbers. For a fifth overall selection he'd have to do something really extraordinary to be called a steal after being selected so high. It's not ******** at all. I like Reilly, but steal of the draft for a top 5 pick seems a bit absurd regardless of how he performs.

It would be a steal if he was taken like 11th or lower.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
No I'm claiming that to be the biggest steal so certainly from this point on against 200+ other players would require him to be posting 60+ points annually. He's a fifth overall pick. He's expected to put up great numbers. For a fifth overall selection he'd have to do something really extraordinary to be called a steal after being selected so high. It's not ******** at all. I like Reilly, but steal of the draft for a top 5 pick seems a bit absurd regardless of how he performs.

It would be a steal if he was taken like 11th or lower.
Scott Stevens was a fifth overall pick that was the steal of his draft. I don't think Rielly will be even close to that level though. Unless he becomes a Hall of famer, it's pretty hard to consider a lottery pick a steal.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Scott Stevens was a fifth overall pick that was the steal of his draft. I don't think Rielly will be even close to that level though. Unless he becomes a Hall of famer, it's pretty hard to consider a lottery pick a steal.
Steal and best player are not the same thing.

Hextall round 6, Gilmour round 7 are pretty big steals.

Funny looking at that draft and seeing that the Vancouver Canucks drafted a guy named Taylor Hall.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:55 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Why no love for Reinhart? Offensively limited?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:03 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Because he did not play CHL and it made him very hard to judge.
That's not why he slid to 9. He played for the USNTDP. They have a pretty good track record when it comes to their players and getting drafted. He fell because scouts were questioning his offensive game IIRC.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-22-2013 at 02:46 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:33 AM
gudzilla

I got to say that Matheson was increadibly solid in his rookie season @ BC. however he's nowhere near close to the others, but afterall he was drafter 23OA.Like someone said, bit too early

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm sure they were ecstatic to get him at 9. They reportedly had him ranked 4th for the whole draft
Interesting, and probably pretty accurate ranking based on the past season. Overall, I would probably rank him 3rd at this stage, behind only Yakupov and Galchenyuk (or vice-versa).

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote