HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Best Defenseman from 2012 Draft

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2013, 03:59 PM
  #26
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,128
vCash: 69
People (a good amount already do) need to be aware of how good Lindholm was this year. Defensively he was the best player on a Norfolk team right out of the draft. His positioning, skating, vision, and awareness are terrific for an 18 year old. At such a young age he wasn't just showing proficiency out there, but he was running plays from the blueline and directing his forwards on where to position themselves. I'll admit I hated the pick at first. Knowing that Forsberg and Trouba were still available. And I'd still take Trouba over Lindholm, but Hampus was a great selection at 6 IMO.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:06 PM
  #27
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
The consensus as everyone else, Jacob Trouba. Still don't know how he slid to 9th but he is going to be an absolute stud for the Jets. They have got to be thrilled to have landed him. He's the kind of player I think the Jets should build around.
Because he did not play CHL and it made him very hard to judge.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:12 PM
  #28
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Murray's still somebody who I wouldn't want to judge based off of stats. Everett hasn't had much forward talent during Murray's time there. Even going into last year's draft, I think most people would have conceded that Rielly had greater offensive upside, but that Murray was more dependable in his own end.
Perhaps, but even defenders on bad teams usually can manage some level of offense. Ceci was on a terrible Ottawa team and still pulled in about a point per game.

If Murray has limited offensive upside, then he's probably looking at being a second pairing D man at best, not exactly high on anyones list. I see him more as a smaller less talented version of Jay Bouwmeester. A player any team wants on their roster, but not a player that anyone thinks they need to win.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:22 PM
  #29
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,975
vCash: 155
Trouba is getting quite the amount of praise around here. I don't pay enough attention to judge, but I'm just happy the Jets saw what they did in him. You could tell in our GMs voice on draft day (at least more so than Scheifele) that he was thrilled he fell to us.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:32 PM
  #30
Gliff
Nick Bonino
 
Gliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
People (a good amount already do) need to be aware of how good Lindholm was this year. Defensively he was the best player on a Norfolk team right out of the draft. His positioning, skating, vision, and awareness are terrific for an 18 year old. At such a young age he wasn't just showing proficiency out there, but he was running plays from the blueline and directing his forwards on where to position themselves. I'll admit I hated the pick at first. Knowing that Forsberg and Trouba were still available. And I'd still take Trouba over Lindholm, but Hampus was a great selection at 6 IMO.
Just let it go. Noone knew who Schultz or Gardiner were until there were off the Ducks.

The right answer has to be Trouba right now. He is the only guy taken after Hampus that I would even consider trade him for.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:28 PM
  #31
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,169
vCash: 523
Team Mathew > Team Jacob

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:33 PM
  #32
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,225
vCash: 137
Trouba or Murray

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:33 PM
  #33
kernel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Jacob Trouba has proven his worth so far.

kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:36 PM
  #34
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,732
vCash: 500
1. Jacob Trouba
2. Ryan Murray
3. Hampus Lindholm
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Griffin Reinhart

I feel like some are underrating Reinhart's defensive play. He will be a beast defensively and can make a good first pass.

LeHabsMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:38 PM
  #35
kernel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
1. Jacob Trouba
2. Ryan Murray
3. Hampus Lindholm
4. Morgan Rielly
5. Griffin Reinhart

I feel like some are underrating Reinhart's defensive play. He will be a beast defensively and can make a good first pass.

I like your list but Rielly over Lindholm for me.

kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM
  #36
ps241
Drunken rant!
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,391
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
People (a good amount already do) need to be aware of how good Lindholm was this year. Defensively he was the best player on a Norfolk team right out of the draft. His positioning, skating, vision, and awareness are terrific for an 18 year old. At such a young age he wasn't just showing proficiency out there, but he was running plays from the blueline and directing his forwards on where to position themselves. I'll admit I hated the pick at first. Knowing that Forsberg and Trouba were still available. And I'd still take Trouba over Lindholm, but Hampus was a great selection at 6 IMO.
I think Lindholm will be great, I am a big fan.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
  #37
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Registered User
 
TheLeastOfTheBunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,435
vCash: 50
Rielly was terrific for MJ, and every time I saw Everett or Red Deer play Murray/Dumba were great as well.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
  #38
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1992-93
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 500
Right now Trouba is the best but in 3 years Morgan Rielly will be the steal of the draft.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
  #39
Brewster
Registered User
 
Brewster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Trouba or Murray. Tough to leave out Rielly but Trouba is an offensive and physical beast while Murray plays an awesome all around game.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:10 PM
  #40
BigMacJokinen
Registered User
 
BigMacJokinen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
Rielly and Trouba

BigMacJokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:23 PM
  #41
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,128
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Right now Trouba is the best but in 3 years Morgan Rielly will be the steal of the draft.
The number 5 pick in the draft will be the steal of the draft? I eagerly anticipate Karlsson level numbers then.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 08:08 PM
  #42
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era
 
Boxscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 1992-93
Posts: 4,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
The number 5 pick in the draft will be the steal of the draft? I eagerly anticipate Karlsson level numbers then.
He will be close...... 55-65 points or more steady. The next Zubov.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:24 PM
  #43
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
The number 5 pick in the draft will be the steal of the draft? I eagerly anticipate Karlsson level numbers then.
No offense, but this is kinda a butt-hurt comment. Unless you're implying that the only way he can be the best dman in this draft is to be Karlsson 2.0.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:28 PM
  #44
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,128
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
No offense, but this is kinda a butt-hurt comment. Unless you're implying that the only way he can be the best dman in this draft is to be Karlsson 2.0.
No I'm claiming that to be the biggest steal so certainly from this point on against 200+ other players would require him to be posting 60+ points annually. He's a fifth overall pick. He's expected to put up great numbers. For a fifth overall selection he'd have to do something really extraordinary to be called a steal after being selected so high. It's not ******** at all. I like Reilly, but steal of the draft for a top 5 pick seems a bit absurd regardless of how he performs.

It would be a steal if he was taken like 11th or lower.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
  #45
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,246
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
No I'm claiming that to be the biggest steal so certainly from this point on against 200+ other players would require him to be posting 60+ points annually. He's a fifth overall pick. He's expected to put up great numbers. For a fifth overall selection he'd have to do something really extraordinary to be called a steal after being selected so high. It's not ******** at all. I like Reilly, but steal of the draft for a top 5 pick seems a bit absurd regardless of how he performs.

It would be a steal if he was taken like 11th or lower.
Scott Stevens was a fifth overall pick that was the steal of his draft. I don't think Rielly will be even close to that level though. Unless he becomes a Hall of famer, it's pretty hard to consider a lottery pick a steal.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:08 PM
  #46
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,128
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Scott Stevens was a fifth overall pick that was the steal of his draft. I don't think Rielly will be even close to that level though. Unless he becomes a Hall of famer, it's pretty hard to consider a lottery pick a steal.
Steal and best player are not the same thing.

Hextall round 6, Gilmour round 7 are pretty big steals.

Funny looking at that draft and seeing that the Vancouver Canucks drafted a guy named Taylor Hall.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 12:55 AM
  #47
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Why no love for Reinhart? Offensively limited?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:03 AM
  #48
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Because he did not play CHL and it made him very hard to judge.
That's not why he slid to 9. He played for the USNTDP. They have a pretty good track record when it comes to their players and getting drafted. He fell because scouts were questioning his offensive game IIRC.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-22-2013 at 02:46 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:33 AM
  #49
gudzilla
Registered User
 
gudzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
I got to say that Matheson was increadibly solid in his rookie season @ BC. however he's nowhere near close to the others, but afterall he was drafter 23OA.Like someone said, bit too early

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
  #50
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm sure they were ecstatic to get him at 9. They reportedly had him ranked 4th for the whole draft
Interesting, and probably pretty accurate ranking based on the past season. Overall, I would probably rank him 3rd at this stage, behind only Yakupov and Galchenyuk (or vice-versa).

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.