HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snider "I didn't pick Bryz"

Old
05-20-2013, 07:51 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Snider definitely isn't perfect but I wouldn't say he is holding this team back from winning. What "mentality" are people talking about? This current team isn't exactly all rough and tumble like the past. He hasn't won since '75 but he has been to six finals since then. They happened to play the two greatest teams of all time in the 80's, not much you can do about that. I'd understand all the complaining if this team was missing the playoffs year in and year out but they're not. We have been spoiled with the fact that we have a contending team almost every year. It is just really hard to win a Stanley Cup.
Sider is impatient and has a "must win now" mentality. Rather than be patient, let players develope and build from within he pressures Holmgren to fix the problems now at any expense. Just look at our goalie situation. What we SHOULD have done was to get a vet like Vokoun to mentor Bob for a few years and let Bob develope into a franchise goalie but NOOOO, Snide was too impatient and just HAD to have his franchise goalie now and look where that got us.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 07:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Yup, and I seem to remember him stating on his own freaking TV network after the 07 season that we were no longer going to trade picks and youth for "quick fixes and agig players" only to have us less than a month later trade a 1st rnd pick for the righs to Timonn and Hartnell. In less than 5 years we traded away more than 15 players or picks from the first 3 rounds with no less than 5 in each round. Yup, sounds like Snider is a man of his word.
I agree with the sentiment that we should keep our picks as much as possible unless the right deal comes along. I'm not sure if you're just using the Hartnell/Timonen deal as an example of Snider's hypocrisy but that was a good deal at the time and even now with hindsight. I'm fine with deals like that one and the Pronger one. I'm not fine with ones like the Eminger and Versteeg one though. They both made no sense at the time and further proved that with hindsight.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have no interest in Thomas. It has nothing to do with his off-ice statements/beliefs or potential locker room issues. It has to do with the fact that he is pushing 40 and hasn't played in a year.
why not? if you think he can be better then what we had this past season you do it. even if its a 1 year deal and if it doesnt work out?
hindsight.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
why not? if you think he can be better then what we had this past season you do it. even if its a 1 year deal and if it doesnt work out?
hindsight.
I don't think it will work out, at least not as well other options. I guess as a backup to Mason it wouldn't hurt if his contract isn't ridiculous, but at 39 or whatever he is and not having played in a year, I would imagine that a better bet would be one of the UFAs out there. I guess on a one year, low cap hit deal, it could be low-risk high reward situation. But it could also leave the team in a position it was in this year where the starter never gets a day off because the backup is so bad. I don't know what Thomas has been doing over the past year, but he is very reliant on his athleticism IIRC. A 39 year old that hasn't played pro hockey in a year is likely going to lose a bit of that athleticism in that time.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think it will work out, at least not as well other options. I guess as a backup to Mason it wouldn't hurt if his contract isn't ridiculous, but at 39 or whatever he is and not having played in a year, I would imagine that a better bet would be one of the UFAs out there. I guess on a one year, low cap hit deal, it could be low-risk high reward situation. But it could also leave the team in a position it was in this year where the starter never gets a day off because the backup is so bad. I don't know what Thomas has been doing over the past year, but he is very reliant on his athleticism IIRC. A 39 year old that hasn't played pro hockey in a year is likely going to lose a bit of that athleticism in that time.
there is obvious some risk to it. not saying there isnt. i would roll the dice.
Now He obviously would not be my first choice if they cut ties with Bryzgalov. But I think they at least consiter it.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:40 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that we should keep our picks as much as possible unless the right deal comes along. I'm not sure if you're just using the Hartnell/Timonen deal as an example of Snider's hypocrisy but that was a good deal at the time and even now with hindsight. I'm fine with deals like that one and the Pronger one. I'm not fine with ones like the Eminger and Versteeg one though. They both made no sense at the time and further proved that with hindsight.
It was just used as an example to show how he says one thing and then turns around and does the opposite.

Old
05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
there is obvious some risk to it. not saying there isnt. i would roll the dice.
Now He obviously would not be my first choice if they cut ties with Bryzgalov. But I think they at least consiter it.
Yeah, I wouldn't be outraged if they signed him as a backup on a small cap hit on year deal, but like you said that would not be my first choice. Its slim pickens this year as it is so if Bryz goes down there isn't really a huge selection so if it comes to it I'm sure Thomas gets a look.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:45 PM
phlocky

Quote:
However, let me ask you this, would you rather have had Hartnell and Timonen for te last 5 years or one of Tavaes/Stamkos and one of Doughty/Hedman???? if we had just been patient and built from within we would have likely had a top 2 pick in 08 and 09 too and now we'd be a much different looking team.

Just saying.

Old
05-20-2013, 11:40 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
However, let me ask you this, would you rather have had Hartnell and Timonen for te last 5 years or one of Tavaes/Stamkos and one of Doughty/Hedman???? if we had just been patient and built from within we would have likely had a top 2 pick in 08 and 09 too and now we'd be a much different looking team.

Just saying.
I doubt we would've had a top 2 pick 2 years in a row. I have no idea how Tampa was that horrible to get Hedman and Stamkos.

05-21-2013, 12:49 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

Just saying.
I don't think we would've been that bad to get picks that high even without them two. So my answer is no. That was a good trade then and still a good trade now.

Old
05-21-2013, 01:28 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
And that is the fallacy. We could have done things 180 degrees different, and still not ultimately won.

There is NO guaranteed way to accomplish the end goal.
It's the same thing over and over and over. They put competitive teams on the ice, ad our team now is pretty young but there's no depth. And what if we don't make noise next season. The schenns, Voracek, couturier, Giroux all gonna get trade for more 1995 all stars?

We had a stud in goal had we just ****ing waited. No. We go and give up the world for bryz and get rid of the future. Now we wanna get rid of bryz like it was bryz's idea the whole time to come here. We're stuck in the same hole. Again.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:35 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
It's the same thing over and over and over. They put competitive teams on the ice, ad our team now is pretty young but there's no depth. And what if we don't make noise next season. The schenns, Voracek, couturier, Giroux all gonna get trade for more 1995 all stars?

We had a stud in goal had we just ****ing waited. No. We go and give up the world for bryz and get rid of the future. Now we wanna get rid of bryz like it was bryz's idea the whole time to come here. We're stuck in the same hole. Again.
That happened more in the Clarke era. Homer doesn't really go with that approach of trading young guys for over the hill vets. Homer trades his draft picks over his young roster players if anything.

Old
05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Rolex

When I think of TT, I look at the DL of the Phillies and see all of those banged up older guys and that's playing baseball. Hockey+ older guy+took a season off=disaster.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Snider should at least admit to picking his nose and come "clean"....crusty ole bastage...

It is funny though how he says he "loves the guy" in recent interviews and wants to help him (better Dmen and system) and then he basically pulls a Pontius Pilate with his comment..

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
That happened more in the Clarke era. Homer doesn't really go with that approach of trading young guys for over the hill vets. Homer trades his draft picks over his young roster players if anything.
Part of that was b/c of the coaches as well. Hitchcock was notorious for favoring vets. Heck we lost Justin Williams who he always had in his doghouse partly b/c of Hitchcock's tough love approach with rookies. Seidenberg also didn't benefit from Hitch b/c he preferred vet d men. Richards was also not a fan of Hitch and the Flyers would have possibly lost him much earlier. I remember Gagne commenting on how only certain players with thick skin could deal with Hitch. Gagne though credited him with making him a better player and so did Modano with Dallas...

Old
05-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Rolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Part of that was b/c of the coaches as well. Hitchcock was notorious for favoring vets. Heck we lost Justin Williams who he always had in his doghouse partly b/c of Hitchcock's tough love approach with rookies. Seidenberg also didn't benefit from Hitch b/c he preferred vet d men. Richards was also not a fan of Hitch and the Flyers would have possibly lost him much earlier. I remember Gagne commenting on how only certain players with thick skin could deal with Hitch. Gagne though credited him with making him a better player and so did Modano with Dallas...
Add Sharp to that list.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Add Sharp to that list.
Oh yeah..."him" too...what a debacle although it was unclear what we had with Sharp then again how can you know with Hitch's vet preference. Hitch was similar to Collins on the Sixers....maybe if Collins played Vukovic more instead of sticking to his rigid rookie philosophy..he would know what he actually had which is a decent center that rebounds!

Old
05-21-2013, 05:42 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i love all the hindsight geniuses. (is that how you spell geniuses?) but really, its ridiculous cause the same people preaching patience are the most IMPATIENT. calm down. were kinda in a little bit of a rebuild now in case you didn't notice. or did you think after we blew up the 2010 team in 2011 for youth we'd win the cup that year? look at edmonton. your acting like that's the way to go. just suck and get all number 1's. it don't work that way. i think we try to draft good players but in the end we do have money and id rather be a team thats willing to spend then a team like st. louis who drafts guys they'll never get to see past their entry level deals. we'll figure this out. relax. were climbing out of the bryzgalov and pronger hole (one of which almost got us that cup).

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The Bryzgalov hole was entirely avoidable because there was a perfectly valid and preferable alternative available.

05-21-2013, 07:31 PM
BroadStreetPhila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Bryzgalov hole was entirely avoidable because there was a perfectly valid and preferable alternative available.
Like a trash can?

BroadStreetPhila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Oh yeah..."him" too...what a debacle although it was unclear what we had with Sharp then again how can you know with Hitch's vet preference. Hitch was similar to Collins on the Sixers....maybe if Collins played Vukovic more instead of sticking to his rigid rookie philosophy..he would know what he actually had which is a decent center that rebounds!
What, Matt Ellison with 1 assist in 7 NHL games wasn't a good acquisition for Sharp?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreetPhila View Post
Like a trash can?
shame that trashcan held out for to much $$$..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 02:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
at a 4 million plus less cap hit.

Old
05-22-2013, 02:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
at a 4 million plus less cap hit.

I would've been good paying 3mil. When he signed for the equivalent of one (1) used chopstick and a bucket of dead leeches, I was shocked. But then when you looked at how the market played out, it made all the sense in the world.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 04:24 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

http://thehockeywriters.com/whos-at-...ryzgalov-saga/

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote