HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Nassau County arena reno bid promises Islanders return (for 6 games)

Old
05-22-2013, 03:20 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Shhhhh. Mr.Wang doesnt need to be told the truth. Despite the rich local broadcast contract, give it a few years, he loses his shirt.
Really?

Will the extra $35m per season on Barclay's luxury suites, be where he'll lose his shirt'?

The Coliseum would be going from 16,170 seats to 13,000 seats. Maybe that's where Wang loses his shirt?

Or maybe his new deal to stream Barclay's events thru his company NeuLion, is where he loses his shirt?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Really?
Good luck with that. I mean it most sincerely... I think were lookin at the makings
of another Epic Fail. Unless Wang sells to a real hockey guy, Brooklyns doomed.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:00 AM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

I think the question is...regular season or preseason games???

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:07 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Good luck with that. I mean it most sincerely... I think were lookin at the makings
of another Epic Fail. Unless Wang sells to a real hockey guy, Brooklyns doomed.
Sure you do

Again. Which part is where Wang 'loses his shirt'?

1.Will the extra $35m per season on Barclay's luxury suites, be where he'll lose his shirt'?

2.The Coliseum would be going from 16,170 seats to 13,000 seats. Maybe that's where Wang loses his shirt?

3.Or maybe his new deal to stream Barclay's events thru his company NeuLion, is where he loses his shirt?

Old
05-27-2013, 11:49 AM
CREW99AW

Waiting to see which group, wins the bid.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz2UPh4wazt

Old
05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
silvercanuck

so.. the Isles are moving to an arena with a U shaped bowl that wasnt designed for hockey and now their old arena is gonna get a mega upgrade and they might play a handful of games there. Great planning there Wang.

I'll believe it when I see it regarding the Isles being a hit in Brooklyn. Have they actually sold $35 million worth of suites for the Isles, or is that just potential?

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

The arena is only being renovated because the Isles left. There was nothing on the table before they signed that lease... Nassau pols are just that reactionary

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 07:56 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Steve55 posted this.

Ratner's group and a group from MSG, are 2 of 4 groups bidding to develop Coliseum land. Part of Ratner's bid is having the Isles and Brooklyn Nets, play some regular season games at the new 13,000 seat Nassau County arena. Isles would play 6 games.

But, Ratner looks to have included that 6 game proposal, without clearing it with the NHL or Rangers. No way would the Rangers want to help Ratner's bid and I don't see the NHL wanting the isles playing in a 13,000 seat arena.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...bzapoJpjb0k0aL

By JOSH KOSMAN
Last Updated: 3:59 AM, May 15, 2013
Posted: 11:35 PM, May 14, 2013

The battle to renovate and operate a downsized Nassau Coliseum may be about to get nasty.

Bruce Ratner, one of four who is vying for the job and who is wooing Nassau County executives by promising to play six Islanders games at the 41-year-old arena even after they move to Barclays Center, may not be able to deliver on that promise, The Post has learned.

Madison Square Garden, which owns the NHL’s Rangers and is also bidding on the job, has to approve such a move — and that OK is not guaranteed, sources said.

Ratner took a full-page ad in a local newspaper yesterday touting the six-game slate, calling it “Nassau Like Never Before.”

“You can’t run around playing games wherever you want to,” a sports owner not directly involved in the battle said...

I thought Ratner is trying to bite more than he can chew here anyway. Also it may not make financial sense to play 6 games at the renovated Coliseum since nethat's not going to make up the loss from 6 less games at Barclays.
The Isles will be a force with better management

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is online now   Reply With Quote