HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part Six(66): The Number of the Beast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
  #151
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 7,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Anton View Post
Oh, come on, man! That's soooo unfair to Clevelanders!

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:07 PM
  #152
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,283
vCash: 500
Always great to get Milbury's ignorance on TV. No better way to show love to loyal NHL fans than to call 3 organizations "hockey wastelands".

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:11 PM
  #153
Novacane
My Hero
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 18,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Always great to get Milbury's ignorance on TV. No better way to show love to loyal NHL fans than to call 3 organizations "hockey wastelands".
What were they? I didn't hear him.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
  #154
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
What were they? I didn't hear him.
They talked about Pittsburgh deadline acquisitions, and he said something like "These three come from Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina...three hockey wastelands...and now they get to play for a storied franchise like Pittsburgh".

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:16 PM
  #155
Novacane
My Hero
 
Novacane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 18,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
They talked about Pittsburgh deadline acquisitions, and he said something like "These three come from Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina...three hockey wastelands...and now they get to play for a stories franchise like Pittsburgh".
Oh nice. What a ******.

What exactly does he expect to gain from that comment?

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:18 PM
  #156
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 22,283
vCash: 500
It's just Milbury showing his bias and letting his ignorance mix with it.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
  #157
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
They talked about Pittsburgh deadline acquisitions, and he said something like "These three come from Calgary, Dallas, and Carolina...three hockey wastelands...and now they get to play for a storied franchise like Pittsburgh".
Ah yes, the storied franchise of Pittsburgh. Who a decade ago had one of the lowest attendances in the NHL, had just gone bankrupt, and were on the verge of relocation.

Amazing story, now they are and NHL powerhouse and all it took was 4 straight top-2 picks in the Draft and a generational talent handed to them by NHL brass. Not to mention the ocean sized bandwagon of ravenous "fans".

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:34 AM
  #158
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!
 
Carolinas Identity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: United States
Posts: 7,622
vCash: 500
TOR and VAN lost.

Their suffering gives me strength BWA HA HA.

Vancouver actually played so bad that Raffi Torres scored a goal for them just to make the box score seem respectable.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:41 AM
  #159
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,367
vCash: 500
Millbury's comment didn't bother me. The Canes have made the playoffs once since 2006 and have had 3 miserable seasons where they have picked in the top 8 and were in the running for a top pick for part of those seasons. Hockey wasteland is a pretty apt definition if you ask me, especially when you compare it to Pittsburgh who have won a cup, been in the SCF another time, have comfortably been in the playoffs every year since 2006 (with all but one of those > 100 points) and are the best team in the east this year.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:08 AM
  #160
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
Ah yes, the storied franchise of Pittsburgh. Who a decade ago had one of the lowest attendances in the NHL, had just gone bankrupt, and were on the verge of relocation.

Amazing story, now they are and NHL powerhouse and all it took was 4 straight top-2 picks in the Draft and a generational talent handed to them by NHL brass. Not to mention the ocean sized bandwagon of ravenous "fans".
Allegations that the League rigged the 2005 Draft Lottery are as ridiculous as Milbury's comments.

__________________
garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:51 AM
  #161
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wolfofthesteppes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Magic Theater
Country: United States
Posts: 827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Millbury's comment didn't bother me. The Canes have made the playoffs once since 2006 and have had 3 miserable seasons where they have picked in the top 8 and were in the running for a top pick for part of those seasons. Hockey wasteland is a pretty apt definition if you ask me, especially when you compare it to Pittsburgh who have won a cup, been in the SCF another time, have comfortably been in the playoffs every year since 2006 (with all but one of those > 100 points) and are the best team in the east this year.
Yeah, I believe (and hope) this is what he was getting at, but that was a boneheaded way to phrase it.

__________________
Not for everyone . . . for madmen only.
wolfofthesteppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
  #162
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,367
vCash: 500
I don't think it was boneheaded, in fact, I'd guess it was intentional. Guys like Millbury, Don Cherry, Jeremy Roenick, etc.. make inflammatory comments all the time, mainly to get a reaction (even if negative) from fans.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
  #163
Sens1Canes2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,879
vCash: 500
Sabres have a press conference scheduled for 11am to announce the retention of Ron Rolston as head coach. Based on last week's press conference it should be very entertaining. There's a faction of media up there that absolutely hates Darcy Regier...so it's always a good watch. Sabres.com

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 09:25 AM
  #164
Roboturner913
Registered User
 
Roboturner913's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Clearly Dallas and Calgary are not in general "hockey wastelands", one is the epitome of a successful southern team, the other in in freaking Canadia. He was pointing out that the teams currently suck and it's kind of hard to dispute that at the moment.

Above poster is right, though, he's just trolling with the choice of words. Par for the course with sports media these days. Heaven forbid we try to report some actual news or put together an interesting piece for our viewers, let's just pander to the lowest common denominator for hate mail and web hits.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:19 PM
  #165
Lethargic
Misfits of the Metro
 
Lethargic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Isle of Misfit Toys
Country: Somalia
Posts: 8,204
vCash: 500
Patrick Roy next coach of Avs?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Lethargic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:12 AM
  #166
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor
 
garnetpalmetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Durham, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 4,465
vCash: 500
Apparently Alexander Burmistrov wants to leave that hockey Eden that is Winnipeg. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...208450711.html Might we be interested in him and who might we exile to Siberia for him?

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
  #167
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,732
vCash: 562
I don't think we would be, not unless we had a 3 million per-ish salary that we had to offload. Ruutu's contract is bad but he's still a better player then Burmistrov who looks like he's a #3 guy long term. Cheaper to do stop-gap for a year or go with Rask, Nash, or Welsh. Might not be as good next year (unless we sign career ECHLer Matt Cullen on a cheap one-year) but we won't lose assets and it's probably the better option long-term if Rask shows he can hack it or Nash/Welsh show some improvement.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
  #168
Chrispy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Apparently Alexander Burmistrov wants to leave that hockey Eden that is Winnipeg. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...208450711.html Might we be interested in him and who might we exile to Siberia for him?
From the article, some of the potential centerpieces of deals talked about at the deadline with Burmistrov:

Quote:
The Jets attempted to trade Burmistrov and reportedly had discussions with the Ottawa Senators, Buffalo Sabres and New York Islanders at the deadline. The names Jakob Silfverberg, Drew Stafford and Kyle Okposo have all been attached to Burmistrov trade rumours.
If that's the return the Jets are looking for, I don't see the Canes getting involved here. If the Jets come down from those demands, maybe. But as Dave points out, there is also the salary component that makes things more complicated. McBain is going somewhere this offseason; could it be a part of this deal? I don't see Ruutu waiving a NTC to go to Winnipeg even if JR wanted to deal him now.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
  #169
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,732
vCash: 562
The more I think about it the more I see McBain going somewhere in a salary dump, whether that's the Philly for Coburn or Meszaros, or us being the salary dumpers and moving him at the draft for a draft pick, and using the money saved to pick up say Ballard after he gets the compliance buyout treatment from Vancouver.

Actually that's where we should be looking to upgrade our D this offseason, much as we upgraded our forwards in 05-06 via the compliance buyouts of Whitney and Stillman getting dollars on a dime for them.

I'll dig deeper and see who all are likely buyout candidates.

Philly: RW/C Danny Briere
Van: D Keith Ballard, possibly LW David Booth
Chicago: D Steve Montador, D Johnny Oduya (will be one, not both)
Montreal: D Tomas Kaberle (oh god no)
Tampa: LW Ryan Malone (very outside chance)
Wash: RW Joel Ward
Toronto: D Mike Komisarek, D JM Liles

at least those are the ones I see.

Of those on D, I'd probably prefer Oduya, Montador, Ballard, Komisarek in that order. Of course, Oduya is the least likely player of all I listed to be bought out so there's that factor.


Last edited by DaveG: 05-22-2013 at 09:04 AM.
DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:52 AM
  #170
Jussijuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
The more I think about it the more I see McBain going somewhere in a salary dump, whether that's the Philly for Coburn or Meszaros, or us being the salary dumpers and moving him at the draft for a draft pick, and using the money saved to pick up say Ballard after he gets the compliance buyout treatment from Vancouver.

Actually that's where we should be looking to upgrade our D this offseason, much as we upgraded our forwards in 05-06 via the compliance buyouts of Whitney and Stillman getting dollars on a dime for them.

I'll dig deeper and see who all are likely buyout candidates.
If I had my guess Komisarek is a near lock for the Canes.

Not complaining myself, if we get him cheap he is the Allen-type crease-clearing, shot-blocking D the Canes need. Muller should be familiar with him (assistant coached him during his best years at Montreal) and given the 4 games Komi played this year, I'd guess teams will not be knocking down his doors.

Jussijuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  #171
Chrispy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
I see Komisarek has been mentioned twice already. I agree he's almost too obvious of a buyout candidate, but I think I'd put him higher on the list than Ballard given the needs of this team. Of course, it also depends on what the salary demands are; I wouldn't be putting too much money into Komisarek at this point.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:00 AM
  #172
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 31,732
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
If I had my guess Komisarek is a near lock for the Canes.

Not complaining myself, if we get him cheap he is the Allen-type crease-clearing, shot-blocking D the Canes need. Muller should be familiar with him (assistant coached him during his best years at Montreal) and given the 4 games Komi played this year, I'd guess teams will not be knocking down his doors.
Yeah personally I'd prefer even Ballard over him but all that said he blows out whatever our likely #6 option is right now heading into next season. The best part is that we should basically be able to get him for a song. He hardly played at all last year between the Leafs and Marlies, so there's a good chance that he'll be set to go from 4.5 million to under a million next year. Best news is he might not care much given that the Leafs still have to pay him his money, it just won't count against the cap unlike a real buyout.

And yeah, flat out forgot that Toronto had so many guys to sign. Could easily see Liles and Komi bought out. Wouldn't mind either, but between the two I'd probably prefer Liles to replace MAB as our #5/6 PP specialist, which means we're not going to get him.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:15 AM
  #173
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 33,254
vCash: 500
I could see Komisarek being a Rutherford special, coming off the scrap heap and finding a niche role here. All he needs to do is be a passable bottom-pairing guy, it's not like he's going to be in competition with real NHL players.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:38 AM
  #174
Oenatzu
Chad-in-the-Box
 
Oenatzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I could see Komisarek being a Rutherford special, coming off the scrap heap and finding a niche role here. All he needs to do is be a passable bottom-pairing guy, it's not like he's going to be in competition with real NHL players.
This. When your competition for a defensive spot on a team that gave up the second most goals against is the likes of Corvo, Sanguinetti and M-A Bergeron and you know what the word "defense" means you can pretty much pat yourself on the back for a job well done before the season even starts.

Oenatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:39 AM
  #175
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I could see Komisarek being a Rutherford special, coming off the scrap heap and finding a niche role here. All he needs to do is be a passable bottom-pairing guy, it's not like he's going to be in competition with real NHL players.
The problem though is with Harrison back and the near-sure roster spot for Murphy (and his ELC), which of those guys has to play top 4 minutes? Ideally you want Murphy in the bottom pair and Harrison has shown it's a stretch to play top 4 minutes. And Komi? He's like a box of choc-o-lates.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.